The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
""Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Starry Sky 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

11-17-05, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starry%20Sky Click to send private message to Starry%20Sky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
""Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
LAST EDITED ON 11-18-05 AT 07:03 AM (EST)

Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay
Nov 15, 2:03 PM EST
The Associated Press

If you are interested check out this link...

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=207153

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... Kelliedn 11-17-05 1
   RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... Iberostar 11-17-05 2
       RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... quiller 11-17-05 4
           RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... Kelliedn 11-17-05 5
   RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... AshLanie 11-18-05 8
 RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... maryellennaco 11-17-05 3
 From our guidelines Cygnus X1 11-18-05 6
 RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... Devlynne 11-18-05 7
 RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... bliss 11-18-05 9
 RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More... Cygnus X1 11-18-05 10

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Kelliedn 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-17-05, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kelliedn Click to send private message to Kelliedn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
I guess I'm just as naive as I've been told I am at times

I totally did not realize that the reality shows were scripted. What a joke. I hope that it's just the LC's that are scripted...and if they are....well the writers suck in my opinion.

Iberostar 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-17-05, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Iberostar Click to send private message to Iberostar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
I'm glad someone posted this article especially since it named a writer from Starting Over specifically. I hope that none of the houseguests are being scripted. I would expect reality shows to have some writing involved...making the exercises, like Survivor would need someone to create the challenges, etc. I really thought that Rhonda, Iyanla and Dr. Stan were "authentic". How silly of me!

quiller 268 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-17-05, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail quiller Click to send private message to quiller Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
I personally believe that the writing may involve keeping track of what has been shown about each houseguest and making sure that their storyline remains comprehensible to the viewers. Imagine who confusing it would be if they never showed any stuff about Jill's tumour and then suddenly she left the house for surgery. So, they do have to do some work around that. Remember that we see 5 - 40 minutes shows a week, they have footage from about 7 - 20 hours days!

I also know, from an interview I read, that there is a producer who sits in the confessional with them and asks questions. So, some of the writing would probably include writing those questions. The questions are presumably meant to expand on what has been happening in the house.

JMO

Kelliedn 50 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-17-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kelliedn Click to send private message to Kelliedn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "

>Remember that we see 5
>- 40 minutes shows a
>week, they have footage from
>about 7 - 20 hours
>days!
>

Actually it's my understanding that the HG's get Sunday off, so there are 6 - 20 hour days, but you are right in that there is a ton of editing done on the show.

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

11-18-05, 07:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
>I guess I'm just as naive
>as I've been told I
>am at times
>
>I totally did not realize that
>the reality shows were scripted.
> What a joke.
>I hope that it's just
>the LC's that are scripted...and
>if they are....well the writers
>suck in my opinion.

Not sure if you watched season two but the so called break in was a definite scripted addition to the show.....VERY badly scripted.

There was NO bonefide breakin jsut a poorly layed out scripted one.

There were a series (3 shows)last year on Bravo i think that showed how relaity shows are played out.

They showed where scenes were amde to do over and over for dramatic effect.

They showed the contestants, in that private room, being asked questions by a member of the show, questions that would cause controversary. (This is where i feel Sommer heard about the van talk and the show knew this but didn't show that portion).

They showed where contestants would be looking off to one side for cue cards.

They showed contestants asking where to look, what to do, etc.

Last year on S.O., even though the show got an award (sic) for editing the editig was poorly done.

Example: Many times one could see Rhonda was waiting to be cued to enter. You could see the Ladies being cued to answer the door. (Always questioned in the first season how it was always the right lady answering the door- I mean what were the odds it was always the right one for the LC?).

Example and this s the big oe: The so called breakin. Yeah, the still cameras picked up two empty beds (edited in from another time those beds were empty) YET never picked up anyone walking around? Thee are still cameras all over, this point ahs been made over and over. Didn't anyone ever wonder why, pe Rhonda's word, that the viewers would know the full story of the rbeak in at the end of season two and we didn't? Scripted and poorly done so.

Anyhow, S.O. does indeed have two past soap opera writers on its staff.....they are NOT sitting there getting paid for writing nothing.

S.. is no different than any other reality show...It is a reality show based on the reality of the producers/editors.soap opera staff writers for ratings.

S.O.=Starting Over=Soap Opera

maryellennaco 1084 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-17-05, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail maryellennaco Click to send private message to maryellennaco Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
Since they specifically mention SO, I would like for them to come up with something new and refreshing, instead of all this old re-hash, i.e. Alison, Josie, blah, blah... SNOOZFEST!!!! BORING!!

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-18-05, 01:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "From our guidelines"
which all new posters should read here and at the top of each page:

VIII. DO NOT REPUBLISH COPYRIGHTED INFORMATION
(a) You should NOT post information that is copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than you on the discussion or news forums without the express consent of the owner. Reposting is copyright infringement even if you attribute the article correctly to its source. The test for copyright infringement is not whether you are trying to make any money from the work; instead, what matters is whether you hurt the potential income of the copyright holder. By reposting an article, you would be depriving the copyright holder of advertising revenue, so you cannot do it. If such a posting occurs, the member posting the information will be held solely responsible. RealityTVWorld.com is not responsible for member-posted information that may violate copyright law.

(b) There is a limited exception to this strict copyright rule, however. Under "Fair Use" provisions, you can legally post an abstract - or perhaps the opening paragraph or a brief excerpt - of an article. Therefore, if you want to post an article, you should either do this and include a link, or just post the link. If you are not sure whether you can copy something, then please err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material.

(c) Press releases are not covered by the limits on reposting. Press releases are intended for wide distribution and thus can be copied, reposted and distributed as much as you want.

So welcome, Starry Sky, and thanks for the info. But I suggest you edit your post so it complies with our guidelines.

Disclaimer: NOT a moderator, just trying to help.

"Give me liberty . . . or a bran muffin!" --Colin Mochrie, "Whose Line"

Devlynne 154 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-18-05, 02:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devlynne Click to send private message to Devlynne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
Here is another article about the same event:
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001480192

Outside the session, Baronoff said, "We do put these shows together, and we get no credit for it. They are reality shows, but we structure the narrative elements. The networks won't even sit down and talk with us. That's why we have to do goofy things like this, these mosquito missions. We want to get the same treatment as writers for scripted sitcoms and dramas."

Baronoff said there are between 1,000 and 1,200 reality TV writers, a majority of whom have union authorization cards.

Message in a Bottle: Desiderata ~ Max Ehrmann

bliss 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-18-05, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bliss Click to send private message to bliss Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
All you need do to see just how real any "reality show" is -- watch the credits and see how many "writers' are listed. No doubt a great deal of SO is scripted. Of course as with anything where people and emotions are involved, there are moments they never anticpate or see coming and that is when things get interesting. They come up with ways to work around such moments which is where our confusion as viewers comes from because most of the tme those quick fixes make absolutely no sense.

Cygnus X1 7505 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-18-05, 09:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cygnus%20X1 Click to send private message to Cygnus%20X1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: "Reality Show Writers Seek More Pay" "
Well played. Thanks!

"Give me liberty . . . or a bran muffin!" --Colin Mochrie, "Whose Line"

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •