The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

bethla 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-31-03, 08:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bethla Click to send private message to bethla Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
I can't understand why everybody is so fan of Kelly Clarson.. I mean, do you really want another aliciakeys copy?? it's soo typical america... you never go for the originals just copies.. it's like a billion artists in america that soundS/looks exactly like kelly.. and in every magazine nowadays there are kids that want the world to look less on looks and more on personality, but still you want kelly to win??this can be your chance to not just say what you mean but act... anyways, i can't understand why you think kurt was so bad... he sings like a god and i'm sure that if you had heard more songs from him you would have loved him.. and he sure isn't a copy... i can understand what you say about him singing like bono--but copy?? that was a little bit to harsh.. one other thing.. you have to look on stage performance too... almost every contestant just stood there .. at least kurt, the hardcore guy and the guy from germany did something more... i'm voting for the canada guy because he was truly talented and kurt... looking forward to see whats more important, looks or talent??

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Hey.. do we want another mariah... munson 12-31-03 1
   Kurt comment AyaK 12-31-03 2
   RE: Hey.. do we want another mariah... Bebo 01-01-04 3
       RE: Hey.. do we want another mariah... Little_Amy23 01-02-04 4
 RE: Hey.. do we want another mariah... Chrissy gal 01-02-04 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-31-03, 03:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
To answer your question, this is a popularity contest with some talent thrown in. AI is not the forum to make a statement about the future direction of music. It will never set a new course but only reflect current popular tastes, hence the public vote.

And Kelly should win because she's the most talented vocalist in this group. Hands down. Not even close. But that's just my opinion which wasn't even worth one vote in this contest.

One last thing...popular music as we know it today is a product of American culture. The rest of the world, well, Western world anyway, is falling over themselves to copy the image, the trends, the style of American musical icons. Your premise is faulty. Don't think of them as copies but rather as variations of the same genre. Innovations in popular music invariably originate here and then infest the rest of the world. Whether that's good or bad is another question.

Another last thing...I think Ryan Malcolm was average at best but millions around the world disagree. Doesn't make them wrong any more than it'll change my opinion of his performance/talent.

And I'd love to buy Kurt's CD if I could find it anywhere!!

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-31-03, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Kurt comment"
LAST EDITED ON 12-31-03 AT 06:09 PM (EST)

While there will always be some differences of opinion and some people who trash each of the contestants, I certainly haven't seen any general trashing of Kurt Nilsen in the U.S. -- in fact, U.S. popular opinion rates him as one of the 3 favorites to win.

Which means that I don't understand bethla's "it's soo typical america" comment one bit.

As far as Kelly being merely a copy of Alicia Keys, all I can say is ... huh? I hope that wasn't intended as a serious statement. And, unlike Mariah Carey, Kelly didn't have to sleep with the head of the label to get her chance -- she has more to offer mucsically than just her body.

And Alexander Klaws was simply awful. It doesn't matter how much ... as the Beatles used to put it, in pidgin German ... "mak show" you do if you can't deliver vocally, and he couldn't.

munson, I have a feeling that "World Idol" will shortly be accompanied by a CD featuring tracks from the various idols, and it also might be accompanied by the release of Kurt's CD "I" -- which is all in English, as the titles show:

1: Here She Comes
2: All You Have to Offer
3: Breathe You in
4: Last Day of Summer
5: Lost in Despair
6: Games We Play
7: Sue Me
8: Wedding's Off
9: Ordinary World
10: She´s So High
11: Smell the Roses
12: I

Obviously, "She's So High" is the Tal Bachman song and "Ordinary World" is the Duran Duran song. The third cover is Andreas Johnson's "The Games We Play". The other 9 are originals by Kurt's band Fenrik Lane, who have played together since 1997, when the band members were 18.

Fenrik Lane:
Kurt Nilsen: vocals, guitar
Knut Glesnes: guitar
John Erik Soltvedt: bass
Christer Unneland: drums

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-01-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
Americans like cookie cutter. Hah. I think the second American Idol competition shoots that theory out the window. The three finalists - Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, and Kimberley Locke - don't fit anyone's mold of a "typical pop act". The other contestant to get a huge fan reaction was Frenchie Davis, who had the fans in an uproar when she was kicked out of the competition. None of these four could be considered typical anything.

But what do those four have in common with Kelly? Talent.

And this American would be quite pleased to see Kurt or Peter win, since they delivered solid performances when it counted. I wouldn't mind hearing more from Ryan, but I'm not about to anoint him a world champion based on what was not a top-notch performance. I saw potential in him, but I didn't see him deliver the goods when it mattered.

I am the embodiement of snarky, sarcastic and smart. I am also the S7 Anti-Bootee co-champion!

Little_Amy23 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 05:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Little_Amy23 Click to send private message to Little_Amy23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
In Aussie Idol we had a cross dresser who auditioned as a man and didnt get in then went as a lady and got through under the name of "Courtney Act".
A little of track I know.

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

01-02-04, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Hey.. do we want another mariahcarey/aliciakeys copy???"
I'm not sure where to start on this one...

1) Kelly does not look or sound anything like Alicia or Mariah; she sounds more like Aretha Franklin to me and doesn't look like any other star I can think of. If Kelly had gone to an America promoter, she would have been told she didn't have the right "look" and that she needed to be thinner and sexier. I believe that Kelly was voted American Idol based on her singing ability and personality.

2) I think it is great that people have different opinions on singers and some people like Kurt and others don't.

3) I always laugh when people catagorize "Americans" as all being the same or having the same opinions!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •