By opening this thread, you have been given 20 points.
Aren't they lovely, these points? They smell really nice, like fermented Pine Sol or something. And they're so shiny and lovely, you kind of want to unpeel them to see if chocolate is inside of them.
(But, no, they're not full of candy, so don't start biting your points to find out. That's not good for your teeth.)
So, what are you going to do with your 20 Casino Game points? I suppose you could buy 20 points' worth of pudding at my souvenir shop, but that would be a waste of time and calories. Instead, I suggest heading over to the blackjack table and making a few TAR Casino Game bets.
Gambling is much more fun than internet pudding.
What's the TAR Casino Game?
The TAR Casino Game is a game in which players make wagers on the outcome of each leg of The Amazing Race. If you make good wagers and your teams do well, then points will rain from the sky. If they don't do so great... Well, that's why they call it gambling, I suppose. But luckily, this is all for fun and recreation, so it's not like anyone's going to have TAR Casino Game goons sent to their homes.
Every player is given 20 points from the start, with the goal of accumulating as many points as possible until the end the game. The player with the highest total at the finale is the winner, and gets the prize of Supreme Bragging Rights until next season rolls around.
Last years winner was the great and powerful Max Headroom, who has already told me how everyone else sucks and he looks forward to demolishing everyone once again. Oh, and he also thinks you're a "doody face", whatever that means.
That's not a lie. He really said that when we were parasailing the other day with Lady Gaga.
So, if you're new to these parts and are just checking us out, go ahead and register! Play a few rounds of the game, see how much you like it. From talking to people on these boards, playing this silly TAR Casino Game actually makes watching TAR a lot more fun. In fact, I know 4 or 5 of our players have their own real life mini-league where they have their own bragging rights as house winner. It's loads of fun!
Here be the rules to the game.
Ye Olde Rules
1. Each player in Week 1 starts with 20 points. In every subsequent week, this amount decreases, so join now. Also, these are the only points you get, so don't waste them. Once you run out of points, you're out of the game.
2. Every week, you may choose to wager your points on the various teams. Later on, there will be limits on the max bet you can lay down, which will be covered in full next week.
3. You don't have to bet all your points. Any points you don't wager are banked, and will be carried over to the following week without risk.
4. Decimals are evil. All wagers must be a whole number. Also, in scoring your entries, all decimal points will be rounded up. It makes the scoreboard prettier that way. No one wants to see a final score of 693.22463 to 612.1935.
5. Absenteeism sucks. If you miss three straight entries, you're eliminated from the game. If you're going to be on vacation, send me a note and I'll keep the records.
6. All entries must be entered before showtime: Sunday, February 19th, 8 PM Eastern Time. Any entries after that time will not be counted. Any edits to an existing entry after the deadline will be penalized. The clock is based on the clock on this message board.
7. Your wagers will be scored based on the almighty Payout Table. The Payout Table gives a multiplier value to each ranking, and determines the return on your wagers. Each of your individual wagers are multiplied by their appropriate multipliers, and then totaled together.
For example, here's the Payout Table for Week 1.
Week 1 Payout Table
1st place - 2x
2nd place - 1.6x
3rd place - 1.4x
4th place - 1.3x
5th place - 1.1x
6th place - Break even
7th place - .9x
8th place - .7x
9th place - .6x
10th place - .4x
11th place - 0x
This is going to be based off of the final rankings at the end of the episode when they arrive at the Pit Stop.
1990s Nickelodeon Example - You've got 20 points and you choose to wager them on the following fictional teams...
Rocko/Spunky - 9 points
Heffer/Filburt - 6 points
Ed/Bev - 3 points
Bank 2 points.
Now let's pretend Rocko/Spunky finishes 2nd, Heffer/Filburt finishes 7th, and Ed/Bev finishes 9th. Your score would be:
Rocko/Spunky - 9 points * 1.6 (2nd place) = 14.4
Heffer/Filburt - 6 points * .9 (7th) = 5.4
Ed/Bev - 3 points * .6 (9th) = 1.8
+2 points banked
Total = 14.4 + 5.4 + 1.8 + 2 = 23.6 = 24 points (rounding)
Overall, you'd gain 4 points for the week and have 24 points to wager for next week. Not too shabby, eh?
Here are the teams you will be wagering on.
TAR20 Teams Remaining
We got a couple of "Daves" and "Rachels" on different teams, so be careful that you don't mix up the names!
Good luck everyone! Here's to an amazing Season 20!
Rocko's Modern Life totally stands up.