The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

pdragonfly 318 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

12-02-03, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Hi, I heard that the voting for the World Idol is done so that no country can vote for itself. Why would anyone then vote for a member of another country if they like their own?
If I love Kelly Clarkson better than anyone else, I'm sure not going to vote for anyone else. That's like giving a vote away for the other side.

What are others thoughts on this?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... strid333 12-03-03 1
   RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... pdragonfly 12-04-03 2
       RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... strid333 12-04-03 3
           RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... udg 12-04-03 5
               RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... strid333 12-04-03 6
                   RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... udg 12-05-03 8
 RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... managerr 12-04-03 4
   RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... strid333 12-04-03 7
   RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... 712 12-07-03 9
       RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... strid333 12-08-03 10
           RE: World Idol Voting - Who's votin... pdragonfly 12-19-03 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-03-03, 10:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Yeah, and people could vote for a talentless hack just to nulify a stronger competitor so their own country could win. For example, if I choose to cheer for Canadian Idol, Ryan Malcolm, I cannot vote for him because I'm a Canuck. However, I know that the American Idols will be strong competitors so I might vote for the Netherlands (do they have a competitor? I don't know.)

Another situation is that one group of people might say, "I won't vote for a certain country because I don't like that country." I know that when the Olympics are on, I cheer for the Canadians and then I cheer for any country to beat the Americans (especially when they are being cocky). I don't hate Americans; it's just something in the average Canadian's psyche. It can even be more extreme too. If Israel and Palestine had Idol competitions, I don't see them voting for each other. They are still killing each other. It really is a shame, isn't it?

It does depend on things. I may vote if I'm completely blown away by a competitor. I will not vote if it costs me money. I doubt I will vote for Kelly or Ruben because they've had all the world exposure and I personally have found their quality slipping. And I doubt I'll vote to nulify a vote so Ryan Malcolm can win. (Yeah I voted for Ryan but realize he isn't that great. We have sooooooo many other Canadian artists who are waaaay better.)

Rupert is the perfect Survivor.

12-04-03, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pdragonfly Click to send private message to pdragonfly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
You brought up a very important issue: size. If England votes for Kelly so what? If USA votes for Ryan: wow. We are talking about a very large audience (USA) that can easily turn the tide. Maybe that's why they wouldn't let the countries vote for themselves? But how many countries would have to vote in order to equal the voting size of the USA?

12-04-03, 03:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Ya know, I have the feeling that the whole World Idol will be a disaster. People are still bitter about Clay losing to Ruben. And I wonder if the phone thing will work - I thought Europe had 8 digit phone numbers vs our 7 digit numbers.

Maybe they should change to internet voting (for the world competition only) and allow each computer (according to ISP #) to vote once. I know that kinda sucks if you have a family that has different opinions on who should win, and if you don't have the internet (but usually if you disable cookies, you can vote more than once).

I also have the feeling the competition won't be as popular as our respected countries' competitions. It'll probably be an after thought the way that the Idol Christmas special was.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-04-03, 05:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
As someone in Europe... the number of digits in a phone number is irrelevant. I can call the US. I can call England. I can call Timbuktu. My phone number (inc area code) is 10 digits long. As far as I know, that's true Germany wide.

---
UDG
When someone says, "I'll be honest with you," he/she is lying.

12-04-03, 06:41 PM (EST)
6. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I was having a very blonde moment when I was typing that message. However, each phone call could end up costing a lot. I know that toll free numbers in the US aren't always free for Canadians.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-05-03, 04:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
For all those blonde moments:

Anyway, you are correct that a number that is toll free in the US will not necessarily be toll free from Europe, Asia or Africa (although, I pay less than 5 Euro cents per minute to call the US). I would expect them to put up separate lines in every country in which the show airs. There's also the time difference to consider. Survivor airs at 2 am my time (CET). Will they air the show at different times in different locations? If so, how will they decide when to open/close the phone lines? What's to stop me from calling during the US vote and then callin again when the German phone lines are open?

TBH, this whole idea seems like a logistical nightmare. Do we know for sure that they're planning a WI competition? I just can't imagine how they'd pull it off so that it was even remotely fair.

---
UDG
When someone says, "I'll be honest with you," he/she is lying.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

12-04-03, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Votes will be weighted by the population of the country, each country's votes will basically count the same amount.

But I'm definitely voting for whoever is the worst that night. Plus it would be hilarious if every country was thinking the same way and voted for the worst person to win.

12-04-03, 06:42 PM (EST)
7. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
And if the talentless hack actually won, that would suck, wouldn't it?

712 356 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-03, 06:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
I really liked the way Big Brother Africa's voting system worked.
If I understood it correctly, every country got one vote -- ie, which ever contestant scored the most votes within one country would "win" that country... kinda like a political riding type situation. Every country would count for one vote.

I kinda assumed (I don't know why) that's how the World Idol votes would work. I really don't see the whole "by population size" thing working... seems like it'd be pretty easy to fudge the numbers...

12-08-03, 01:46 PM (EST)
10. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
Hmmm, that sounds good. Isn't that a lot like the electoral college in the US? Just don't have any hanging chads. lol

I saw three ships come sailing in.

12-19-03, 03:20 PM (EST)
11. "RE: World Idol Voting - Who's voting?"
I decided not to vote. And I'm getting all my friends to cease voting too.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •