The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Most ridiculous show on Television"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-23-05, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"Most ridiculous show on Television"
I watch a lot of dramas and am able to suspend my belief in high degrees. So all those people in "Lost" survived the crash and are now being stalked by a mysterious creature in the woods? I'll buy that. So Teri Hatcher's character can't stop falling down on "Desperate Housewives"? Sure, makes sense!

But the one show that just makes me shake my head time and time again in disbelief has got to be "24". Now I would like to say that I have been a devoted fan of this show, and probably will continue to be. The whole ticking clock thing, high death count, and Die Hard-like situations are thrilling. Still, has there ever been another show that allows its characters to make more ridiculous decisions than this one? I won't bother mowing through all those "Kim in peril" situations we had to sit through for the first three years. Instead, let's examine this season's situations.

1. Jack is following a suspected terrorist. The man fills up his car at a gas station and goes inside to pay. Jack must think of a way to keep him there a bit longer, so what does he do? He puts on a ski mask and holds up the gas station. Ummm..Jack, why not just run up to the guy's car and puncture one of the tires? I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but it seems as if a lot of crap could be avoided if you don't run the risk of having a bunch of cops and SWAT teams arriving to take you down for robbing a store.

2. Jack and his girlfriend are trapped in a building waiting to be gunned down by terrorists. Instead of alerting someone at CTU that he may need backup he instead calls Tony, a man who was kicked out of CTU after betraying them for his wife's safety. He claimed that Tony "was the only person I could trust". Good lord, does this man keep any good friends?

3. Bad decisions aren't left to just Jack. The Araz family, who have a major role in the terrorist plot against America, need to deliver something to their terrorist buddies. Who do they send? Why their young, impressionable, American-ized son, of course! How could that go wrong?

4. The characters on "24" can take a ton of abuse and get right back up, ready for more. How many times this season has a character been kidnapped, tortured, or had their mother die and they go right back to work after the fact? Come on!

I'm sure there will be plenty more reasons to give this show the crazy eye this season, it's only about halfway through it's run. But so far, the decision making on "24" is once again on par with being borderline retarded.

Single-handedly Reversed the Red Sox curse.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... mrc 02-23-05 1
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... landruajm 02-23-05 2
   It is entertaining and, of course,.... geg6 02-23-05 12
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... true 02-23-05 3
   RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... jkokoj 02-23-05 4
   RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... AugustGirl 02-23-05 5
       RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... Surveysez 02-23-05 8
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... Tahj 02-23-05 6
 Big Stevie King Says... Estee 02-23-05 7
 Why the shocked looks? newsomewayne 02-23-05 9
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... Captain_Savem 02-23-05 10
 RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... cqvenus 02-23-05 11
   RE: Most ridiculous show on Televis... bacon 02-23-05 15
 Agree AyaK 02-23-05 14
   RE: Agree Tahj 02-24-05 16
       RE: Agree Loree 02-24-05 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-23-05, 09:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
Frankly, I agree. I live 24-hour days, and no one wants to make a show about my life. Sheesh!

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

landruajm 6040 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail landruajm Click to send private message to landruajm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
Bacon, Bacon, burn that couch!
Mountaineer football, ouch ouch ouch!
Gooooo, Bacon!

But be that as it may, I'm pretty much totally with Bacon on this one.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 01:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "It is entertaining and, of course,..."
Kiefer is pretty easy on the eyes.

By the way, just for this week? Can we change "football" to "basketball?"

>Bacon, Bacon, burn that couch!
>Mountaineer football, ouch ouch ouch!
>Gooooo, Bacon!

I'm such a slut for the blues.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
Good topic, wrong forum. But, until this thread gets moved, I'll agree with Bacon.

I had high, well higher, hopes for this season once I found out Kim was out. Too bad this year has more stupid moves than ever.

In this weeks episode alone...

We saw Curtis take the only witness/suspect still alive out of CTU! They go to get the only evidence known, a computer, and they only bring 2 guys for back-up? Puhleeeze. Oh, and what was wrong with using the dead guys thumb?

The employee, whatshername, who got wrongly accused and tortured, demands a 2 scale pay raise for her troubles? Oh yeah, that seems fair.

Stoopid Audrey insists on going alone to meet with the only other known suspect/witness?!? She never told her ex that she was only minutes away. Why wouldn't he wait? Why not call him back and say you're stuck in traffic? LA has traffic, no? Stoopid.

Dumb kid shoots his dad after he's safe. Yeah, sure.

Even after all that, I'll keep watching. The fast pace action is good enough to keep me tuned in, and I can drive Mr. true nuts with my nitpicking of the plot.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-23-05, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
We are all suckers!!!

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
I'm with True. I'll keep watching no matter how unbelievable it gets.

Besides, Jack Bauer makes me all swoony. *drool*

Surveysez 2793 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surveysez Click to send private message to Surveysez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
Me too.

You know, I can't watch anything with Keifer's dad in it. There is something about Donald Sutherland's voice that makes it almost impossible for me to hear. I have to turn it up soooo high all the other characters are too loud to be comfortable.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 11:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
Can someone answer this--why did they have to wreck a whole train in order to retrieve one briefcase? It didn't make sense because they risked losing it altogether since it could have been lost, destroyed, or buried under one of the cars.

Moves courtesy of Syren
Whatever its flaws, I'm willing to forgive. The highly implausible situations are half the fun.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 01:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Big Stevie King Says..."
Stephen King did his February 18th article about this in <b>Entertainment Weekly</b>. The titles of his points follow (Find and read the original if you can.)

The Fourteen Lessons Of Twenty-Four

1. The Clock Is Always Ticking. (This is supposed to make us so harried we forget inconsistencies, like having the schools filled after everyone's been told to stay home.)

2. There Are Enemies Everywhere.

3. We Fight Back With American Technology.

4. The Technology Always Screws Up.

5. The Management Ain't That Great Either.

6. The More Chloe Pouts, The Better.

7. Never Trust The President's Wife.

8. Never Trust Smart African-American Women In General. (The Mark Burnett rule? From Sherry Palmer to Julia Milliken to Marianne Taylor...)

9. The President's Advisors Are Monsters Of Expediency.

10. On 24, Suicide Is Always An Option.

11. For 24 Hours, The Rule Of Law Is Suspended. (Search warrants, Miranda -- what are those?)

12. In The Course Of The Season, One Good Guy Will Get Killed.

13. In The Course Of The Season, One Good Guy Will Turn Out To Be A Bad Guy.

14. For One Day A Year, Jack Bauer Will Not Need To Go To The Bathroom For 24 Hours.

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Why the shocked looks?"
24: Implausible? Ridiculous, at times? This show is on Fox, isn't it?

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.

Maybe I'll get around to watching it one day.

Captain_Savem 3731 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-23-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Captain_Savem Click to send private message to Captain_Savem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
I live my life a quarter-mile at a time...

PhoenixMons did this to me.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"

24? what's that?

I don't watch this show, so I have no idea what you're talking about!

~ cq

{sarcasm}this is bacon's favorite kind of post{/sarcasm}

bacon 2824 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bacon Click to send private message to bacon Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Most ridiculous show on Television"
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 06:37 PM (EST)

hehe...racking up your post count, eh?

Single-handedly Reversed the Red Sox curse.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

02-23-05, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 04:31 PM (EST)

Now that I've got this post where it belongs (in Non-Reality TV Shows)...

I agree. In seasons 1 and 2, I was a fanatic fan of the show. Yes, the time limits were stretched, and the "coincidences" started to get a little far-fetched, but the events followed logically. And "Kim in peril" was at least a way of keeping Kim in the show without actually having to expect her to act.

Season 3, though, was a huge dropoff. HUGE. In fact, the plot was ridiculous. So ridiculous that I thought Season 4 would have to be better.

I was wrong. Season 4 is even worse, starting with (as bacon points out) wrecking the train. Why wreck the train BEFORE you get the briefcase? Why not get the briefcase first and then wreck it to cover your tracks? That's what real-life terrorists do.

But the dumbest idea of Season 4 is the basic concept of a "remote-control" device to melt down nuclear power plants. Compared to 24, the "T-virus" in Resident Evil is plausible.

There's really not much to say about this season of 24 except that, after seasons 1 and 2, some of us thought that the show was the best thing on TV. No one would say that today.

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-05, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Agree"
All of the seasons have had ridiculous plot points and that's what's made it fun. We all get a snort out of them. I think this season is much better than last. It has to be a real challenge for the producers and writers to sustain the momentum of such a format and I admire them for that. Even at its worst, 24 is a lot better than most of the drivel on TV today, INCLUDING the reality shows.

Moves courtesy of Syren

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

02-24-05, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Agree"
I definitely think this season is better than last season. I gave up on the show last season and only came back to watch the finale. But I have been enjoying this season.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •