The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

jcrash 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-09-03, 10:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jcrash Click to send private message to jcrash Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
I keep reading this over and over and have no idea what it is a reference to.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock" GuessItRains 04-09-03 1
 RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock" Brownroach 04-09-03 2
 RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock" Fast Eddie 04-09-03 3
   RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock" jeffho84 04-09-03 4

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

GuessItRains 700 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-09-03, 10:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GuessItRains Click to send private message to GuessItRains Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
Welcome to the boards jcrash!

"Purple rock" refers to the tie-breaking procedure used in Survivor 4. After the vote was deadlocked with 2 votes cast for Neleh and 2 for Kathy, it was announced that all non-immune castaways would have to pull rocks from a bag. Whoever pulled the purple rock would be eliminated. Paschal, who never received a vote cast against him the entire game, pulled the purple rock and was eliminated. This procedure and outcome was VERY unpopular with hard-core fans.

On this board, the term "purple rock" is used in a variety of broader contexts, often involving tie-breaking procedures or moves by Mark Burnett and the other producers to change aspects of the show that the writer doesn't think need changing.

Hope that helps!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-09-03, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
LAST EDITED ON 04-09-03 AT 10:40 AM (EST)

To add to what Guess It Rains posted,

For the last several installments, contestants have not been informed of the tiebreaking procedures in advance -- they don't find out what it is until a tie actually occurs.

The idea behind using this tiebreaking method in S4 was apparently to force someone to change his/her vote to advance in the game, rather than stay glued to their alliance. If Paschal had changed his vote from Kathy to Neleh, Neleh would have been gone, and Paschal would have made the Final 3. But he didn't budge, and drew the purple rock instead.

So it is assumed that contestants who saw this will want to avoid a potential "purple rock" tiebreaker -- in S5 there were no tiebreak scenarios. We don't know if MB will use this method again, but he might.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-09-03, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
Thanks to those who finally explained this. I didn't watch the end of Marquesas out of disgust so I didn't see this procedure. Since it was my own fault that I didn't know, I didn't want to make a big deal of asking. I'm glad someone did, though. Now I know. And now I'm even more glad I didn't watch the assinine ending.

jeffho84 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-09-03, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jeffho84 Click to send private message to jeffho84 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Um...what is "The Purple Rock""
Oh yeah, Purple Rock, V's big win, that episode had it all.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •