The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-21-03, 06:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Here's some potential spoiler info: In my summary of Episode 1 of Survivor 6, I made comment on the irony that MB was showing. Now let's examine this for spoiler value.

Some examples of the ironies are:
1) Boys v. girls. Expected to be a cakewalk for guys, turns out the girls did right well.

1a) Boys v. girls, yet Shawna and Alex find romance, the first real such hooking up since the show began.

2) Super-religious Joanna doesn't like the Immunity Idol in her camp... and now she's gone.

3) Excluded Christy whipping Jenna twice in the log rolling. (and Butch's "defining moment" moment afterwards).

And some potential ironies yet to play out:

1) Rob's "gameplaying".

2) Girls Going Wilder.

3) Deena being the "Alpha female". Possible backfire?

Sooo... this seems to be MB's theme of the season. Can we capitalize on this and get some data?

Feel free to add to the list, and to possibly extract some spoiler value from all this.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... Thaibeach 03-21-03 1
   RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... SurvivinDawg 03-21-03 2
   RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... ShyMyst 03-21-03 10
 RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... slowr 03-21-03 3
   RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... ShyMyst 03-21-03 9
       RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... Loree 03-21-03 11
 Top Dog Deena samboohoo 03-21-03 4
   RE: Ironies VerucaSalt 03-21-03 5
   RE: Top Dog Deena anotherkim 03-21-03 6
 The Password is: Pride starshyn99 03-21-03 7
   RE: The Password is: Pride PepeLePew13 03-21-03 8
 RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... Bebo 03-27-03 12
   RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of... Brownroach 03-27-03 13
   Women's Votes samboohoo 03-28-03 15
       Math-challenged Bebo Bebo 03-28-03 17
 Cheerleaders at Half-time frisky 03-28-03 14
   RE: Cheerleaders at Half-time VerucaSalt 03-28-03 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Thaibeach 872 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-21-03, 07:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Thaibeach Click to send private message to Thaibeach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Dawg, this may be wishful thinking on my part, because I kind of like Christy (in spite of those hairy pits). It also goes against much of the spoiler info, but what the hey.

We've seen how Christy was excluded by the women of Jaburu again and again, leaving her alone to wonder what was going on, or literally alone because they "forgot" to tell her (at least in such a way that she could see & read their lips) what they were going to do. Some of the tribe ignored her completely (well, based on what we saw in the show) and never even spoke to her.

Now, on new Tambaqui, Christy has been embraced by Butch and Roger. She feels accepted at last.

It would be supremely ironic if Christy ended up alone all over again...as the sole survivor.

Thai

PS: Mark Burnett, if you're listening, please add Speedo bikinis to the list of items no survivor is allowed to bring along. Ever.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-03, 07:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
There ya go... just the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

ShyMyst 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-21-03, 12:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShyMyst Click to send private message to ShyMyst Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Hi Thai,
I agree. In fact I wouldn't be surprise if Christy does end up winning the game. But I have a feeling that Roger might turn against Christy if they all make it to the final 4.

Take care,
ShyMyst

slowr 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-21-03, 07:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail slowr Click to send private message to slowr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Thank you for bringing this up. I absolutely agree! As you have listed there are many situations where irony comes into play.

One that I am hoping pans out is with Rob and Matt. We've heard how Rob is the "survivor expert" and how he knows how to play the game. We've heard Matt described as not knowing anything about survivor. Wouldn't it be great to see Rob go and Matt be in the F2? I can't think that MB would deliberately describe a player as a survivor "expert" and have him end up in the F2 (kind of takes the fun out of the game, IMO). If Rob were edited differently he may be in the F4 but using the irony theory it makes more sense to see Matt in the F4 or F2.

Just an idea. Thanks again for posting this. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

ShyMyst 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-21-03, 12:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShyMyst Click to send private message to ShyMyst Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-03 AT 12:37 PM (EST)

Hi,

Somehow I highly doubt that Rob will even make it to the final 4. He seems to think he knows all about the game but Rob doesn't. I was disappointed in Jabaru for not voting out Rob first before Shawna cuz then the others could have strung Shawna and Alex along.*lol* But I'm betting that Matthew does know how to play the game and just pretends to be clueless when really he's just taking in everything that's going on around him. He probably knows that Rob is trying to play him as well as knowing that it'd irritate Alex to no end to make a play for Shawna. So I think Matthew is probably a whole lot smarter than he looks.*LOL* From his profile he has had a lot of life experiences so surely how he's portrayed himself so far isn't really who he is?

Take Care,
Shymyst

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-03, 01:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Wasn't Matthew one of the people that had done research on the Amazon because he had found out on the internet that they were going there? I know alot of them didn't even know where they were going. So Matthew had to know something about the game if he was looking it up on the message boards. I think Matthew is alot smarter than Rob thinks and is just playing dumb. He realized he was in trouble after his early alliance with Dan and Ryan. He found a way to make himself needed - kinda like Richard Hatch who was so disliked at first and then made himself needed for his fishing. And I think Matthew could do very well in the individual immunity challenges. I wouldn't count him out as final 2. Also several think of him as unliked or an outsider. So they would be willing to take him to the final as someone they think they could win over.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-03, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Top Dog Deena"
With regards to Deena, I think her plan will backfire. I posted somewhere yesterday, but I don't know how to do a link. Deena was so cocky in alligning with the BBB because she felt she could manipulate them later. I was torn in my decision between Alex and Shawna because of Deena (and Rob). I originally thought Shawna just because she was the weakest and probably the reason they went to TC, and I thought Deena would jump at the opportunity to boot a strong male, while keeping her "weak" little alliance in tact.

But it looks now that Heidi and Jenna will be the master manipulators with the guys and Deena will be booted. I think all we need to do is look at this past episode where all of Jaboohoo was bathing together and Deena was all alone to see where Deena ranks with her persuasion.

Good post Dawg.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-21-03, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ironies"
I think with Christy the "irony" if you will, is she found a place with a big welcome banner stating Believe in Yourself. The irony is that she finally began to and it got her much further then would have been possible (since we have CO info she isn 't the final two)

The biggest irony would be the men vs. women with the men's completely over the top cocky attitude about competing against them and a WOMAN is the sole Survivor especially considering the irony of where they are playing (The Amazon)

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-03, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Top Dog Deena"
LAST EDITED ON 03-21-03 AT 10:00 AM (EST)

Another form of ironic twist perhaps:

H and J took Deena in to their alliance because they needed one more vote, but their attitude has seemed to be that they were "letting" her be part of their clique. Their attitude of the young and hot will prevail has been obvious.

In Tambaqui, Heidi turned on Jeanne to gain a power position, or so she thought, with Dave, but now Roger and Butch prefer Christy. Dave's choice of Heidi over Christy isn't going to fly with them.

Meanwhile, back in Jabaru and the hormonal haven that it is, Jenna helped Deena axe Shawna as part of strategy, not realizing that Deena and Rob have hooked up as strongly as they have. Matthew is strung along as well. Deena has very wisely stepped away from all the sexual tenision as has Rob by default .

So, when the merge happens, you have Deena, Rob, Dave, Butch, Roger, and Christy in a loosely organized super group with Heidi, Jenna, Alex and Matthew on the outside. I can't see anyway that when all is said and done, either Heidi or Jenna outlasts Deena or Christy.

Will Deena win? Probably not, but she **will** outlast those who were stripping down nekkid and ready to prostitute themselves, figuratively, to get ahead in the game. Could Christy win? Looking more likely every day. She already has 2 votes locked up provided she faces neither Butch nor Roger in the final two.

Miscellaneous Ramblings

starshyn99 174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-21-03, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail starshyn99 Click to send private message to starshyn99 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "The Password is: Pride"
I agree that MB is a big fan of irony and trys to show it whenever possible and my sense of humor is grateful to that, but if I had to classify a theme, it would be Pride=Downfall.

Anywhere there is boasting, MB will be there to throw it right back into their face. Be it a "pretty" girl getting whomped by the "non-skinny, non-pretty" girl, or the "through god I shall win" lady getting axed, the overconfident guys losing to a bunch of little girls or the "alpha top dog" moved to the back burner, MB's editors will be there.

On the flip side, when shown being humbled, (the guys during the fishing IC) a victory is sure to follow.

-For this reason, I have drawn the two following conclusions:
Watch out Rob and Heidi! Your time will come swiftly. And when it does, it will be funny.

-Matt will be the winner - the only one openly shown to admit not having confidence in his game and others perceiving him as clueless.

But then again, (in order to not sound prideful), I am probably off on this.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

03-21-03, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Password is: Pride"

>-Matt will be the winner - the only one openly shown
>to admit not having confidence in his game and others
>perceiving him as clueless.
>
>But then again, (in order to not sound prideful), I am
>probably off on this.

I'm in your camp on this theory. In my thread from last week, I speculated that Matthew would be the winner because of the irony (which fits in with the theme of Dawg's original post here) of JiffyProbe saying "Matthew doesn't have a clue how to play Survivor." We have Rob (a supposed Survivor 'expert') bashing Matthew big time in the last episode as a clueless idiot, and we'll see the irony of this statement played out later when Rob gets booted earlier than Matthew.

I love the irony being played out in this show so far! Much better than in past seasons so far through six episodes.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-03, 05:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
During the last episode, Jenna made a comment about not seeing herself winning an immunity challenge.

Well, the last two challenges of S3 had an unlikely winner (MamaKim), so wouldn't it be ironic if the girl who said she wouldn't win any wins a crucial one? Like maybe the final IC?

Throwing in a CO speculation here...if people believe in a Jenna/Matthew F2, this would explain it. Given the choice between Butch and Matthew, she'd definitely pick Matthew, thinking she had a better shot to beat him. And I doubt Matthew would pick Jenna to go to the F2 with him, knowing that he'd be handing her 4 jury votes in the women. He'd have a better chance against Butch.

A Bebodacious American

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-27-03, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Of Spoiler Value? MB's Theme of Irony"
Good point, Bebo -- Jenna could win the final IC and pick Matthew.

Though I think Jenna and Matt are both better off picking each other. If Matthew picked Jenna for Final 2, there would only be three women on the jury to vote for her. And Christy probably wouldn't, from what we've seen so far. He'd be worse off with Butch in F2, I think.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-03, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Women's Votes"
>Throwing in a CO speculation here...if
>people believe in a Jenna/Matthew
>F2, this would explain it.
> Given the choice between
>Butch and Matthew, she'd definitely
>pick Matthew, thinking she had
>a better shot to beat
>him. And I doubt
>Matthew would pick Jenna to
>go to the F2 with
>him, knowing that he'd be
>handing her 4 jury votes
>in the women. He'd
>have a better chance against
>Butch.

This is the second time I've seen something about a woman having 4 women's votes on the jury. At this point, there are only 4 women left (Jenna, Heidi, Deena & Christy). If Jenna's on the jury, she'd only have 3 women to possibly vote for her, and I doubt she'll get Christy's.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-03, 01:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Math-challenged Bebo"
I can't count. I also can't spell, can't pick bootees, and tank in any online game. Of course, I could make a joke about Rob being the 4th girl, since Deena considers him one of the girls, but I'll save that for Bashers.

But at this point, Christy has no reason to vote for Matthew, since they were never on a tribe together before the merge. And if he goes machete-wonky, then she may not have a chance to do much bonding with him. But I think this would basically be her "lesser of two evils" pick. It would also be the reason that either Jenna or Matthew would not pick Butch, since they could definitely see Christy voting for him to win.

A Bebodacious American

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

03-28-03, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Cheerleaders at Half-time"
Dave's mantra at first TC:

"Don't do the cheerleaders at half-time."

Fast-forward to "half-time" in the game of Survivor. 8ish players have been voted off, 8ish players remain. Half-time it is.

And here's a preview of Dave doing the head cheerleader, Boni.

Way to stick to the plan, Drip...er...I mean DAVE.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

03-28-03, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Cheerleaders at Half-time"
Oh heck the biggest irony is that the rocket scientist was completely without a clue. It took a jazillion votes for Roger for his face to finally register intelligence!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •