The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-29-04, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
Do they have to cut the feeds to fish due to some kind of royalty thing or something?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why aren't the houseguests allo... Estee 07-29-04 1
   RE: Why aren't the houseguests allo... nailbone 07-29-04 2
   RE: Why aren't the houseguests allo... 00spark00 07-29-04 3
       RE: Why aren't the houseguests allo... boaster 07-29-04 4
 RE: Why aren't the houseguests allo... strid333 07-30-04 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-29-04, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
Was it 'Happy Birthday'? If it was, the answer's probably yes. CBS has to pay usage fees every time that goes out to the viewing public.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-29-04, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
It's not just "Happy Birthday" but pretty much any song, except those made up by the hamsters on the spot. I don't think they've ever officially said, but speculation is that yes, it has to do with royalties and such.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

00spark00 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-29-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail 00spark00 Click to send private message to 00spark00 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
Yet, they can talk about and quote movies.

Doesn't seem right to me...

boaster 32 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-29-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail boaster Click to send private message to boaster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
If they sing a copyrighted song, royalties have to be paid, unless it was a parody. I think they can sing one line of a song or so without royalties being due, but I'm not sure.

The talk about movies, TV shows, etc. is criticism, which does not require royalties to be paid. For example, Roger Ebert doesn't have to pay royalties for writing a movie review. Rolling Stone doesn't have to pay royalties for writing music reviews.

For example, the houseguests could talk about what songs they liked, or they could say "I really like it when Britney Spears sings 'Hit Me Baby'", which would then be a music review, or criticism. But just singing the song is considered a performance, meaning royalties are due.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

07-30-04, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Why aren't the houseguests allowed to sing???"
I'm pretty sure that it is to do with royalties. With the Idol franchise, they have to get permission to do the songs. "Happy Birthday" is still copyrighted. If you have ever noticed, if they sing it in a movie, it is credited at the end when the credits scroll.

Although, I bet if they sang something that isn't copyrighted, like Bach or Beethoven because they have been dead for longer than 50 years, BB wouldn't need to block it. And if you are wondering how it is illegal to photocopy classical sheet music or classical recordings, it is the recording or the translation that is copyrighted. My dad has a legal photocopy. He photocopied an original Haydn (how do we know? - Haydn autographed it).

Three is the perfect number.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •