The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why hide the "extra" vote?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

03-07-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why hide the "extra" vote?"
And here I figured that Shawna would have voted for.... I mean, I wouldn't have thought at all that a stray vote would be cast for Christy.

First off, why did Shawna vote for Christy instead of Joanna?

Second, why hide the vote? Christy doesn't seem to be a target, but is that the reason for hiding it?

Third, why did the alliance stay intact by keeping Shawna when she really isn't part of the alliance by staying on the outside? Is there a new alliance of Jenna/Heidi/Deena/Christy? Heidi did say she was in an alliance when she voted, but she didn't say with who, and Shawna did say that she knew she was on the outside.

Questions for discussion, to ponder, and to make you go "hmmm...."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Shawna wants to go home... Krautboy 03-07-03 1
   RE: Shawna wants to go home... zzz 03-07-03 7
       RE: Shawna wants to go home... PepeLePew13 03-07-03 8
           Not quite AyaK 03-07-03 11
 RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? Brownroach 03-07-03 2
   RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? Krautboy 03-07-03 4
 RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? cowboyroo 03-07-03 3
   RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? phonarr 03-07-03 16
 RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? jsanb 03-07-03 5
 RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? PepeLePew13 03-07-03 6
   RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? Loree 03-07-03 10
       RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? slowr 03-07-03 14
       MB was keeping Christy from the wit... TribalTex29 03-08-03 20
 Agree AyaK 03-07-03 9
 RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? dabo 03-07-03 12
   RE: Why hide the "extra" vote? Brownroach 03-07-03 13
       I doubt this AyaK 03-07-03 15
           Exactly - Shawna helped Christy SuperClyde 03-08-03 17
               RE: Exactly - Shawna helped Christy Chez 03-08-03 18
           RE: I doubt this Kokoro 03-10-03 21
               RE: I doubt this dabo 03-10-03 22
 Or... dabo 03-08-03 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-07-03, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Shawna wants to go home..."
Shawna's vote for Christy was a vote to go home...she wanted to leave. She knew the alliance was voting for Joanna and she couldn't vote for herself, so her vote was neutral vote hoping for a 3-3-1 tie that might allow her a way out of the game...but as we saw, she was "trapped".

Krautboy

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-07-03, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Shawna wants to go home..."
>Shawna's vote for Christy was a
>vote to go home...she wanted
>to leave. She knew the
>alliance was voting for Joanna
>and she couldn't vote for
>herself, so her vote was
>neutral vote hoping for a
>3-3-1 tie that might allow
>her a way out of
>the game...but as we saw,
>she was "trapped".
>
I am confused. Isn't there a rule that you cannot vote for yourself? Shawna would have been required to vote for Joanna on the re-vote if it was between Shawna and Joanna.

Did she not know this rule? Was she hoping someone else would change her vote?

What am I missing?

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-07-03, 02:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Shawna wants to go home..."
On the revote, the two people that are tied does not vote - they make a speech then the others vote on the two that are tied. Perhaps Shawna hoped that she would get to ask to be voted out in front of everyone at TC and somebody would switch a vote.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Not quite"
Pepe, that's certainly still the first part of what they used to do. However, making a speech saying that he was ready to leave didn't help Mitchell, did it?

I'm not sure that we know what the current tiebreaker procedure is. However, it wouldn't surprise me if MB went straight to the "purple rock," as he did in S4 -- which would be great for Shawna. On the one hand, her erstwhile allies could let her go. On the other hand, they could keep her there ... and take the chance of getting booted themselves. In that event, she'd be gone quickly.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-07-03 AT 10:39 AM (EST)

Why they didn't show the vote is a mystery. I suspect Shawna was hoping to force a 3-3 tie, by voting for someone she knew that no one else was going to vote for. That way she might have a chance to leave the game, like she wanted.

Shawna probably knew that Jeanne and Joanna were going to vote for her, and hoped that Christy would as well (we saw Christy torn about whether to vote for Shawna or Joanna). She also knew that her alliance partners were going to vote for Joanna. If Shawna also voted for Joanna, she was assured of being "trapped".

Shawna is virtually certain to be the next boot from Jaburu though. It seems like Christy is being groomed to replace Shawna in the alliance, should they need another body.

**Edited to add:
And Krautboy just snuck in and said the same thing!

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-07-03, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
That tells me we've come to the right conclusion...

Krautboy

cowboyroo 590 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-07-03, 10:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cowboyroo Click to send private message to cowboyroo Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
They voted off Joanna over Shawna because 1) they weren't sure about Christy and 2)Deena wanted to eliminate her strongest competition.

I don't really understand why they hid the vote against Christy. I don't know if it was their way of protecting Christy to not have a vote shown against her....

They've only done that twice before I believe and it was a vote against Mama Kim in Africa that wasn't shown, and Kimmi's vote in the Outback.

phonarr 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-07-03, 11:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail phonarr Click to send private message to phonarr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
>They've only done that twice before I believe and it was a vote >against Mama Kim in Africa that wasn't shown, and Kimmi's vote >in the Outback.

A few others come to mind,
In Australia wasn't Kimmi voted out unanimously without her vote being read? And in Africa when New Boran went to their first TC Silas got the same treatment.

jsanb 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-07-03, 11:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jsanb Click to send private message to jsanb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
Hiding the vote tells me that previous votes probably will not matter. But you never know. Fear the Purple rock.

Peanut Butter Jeff

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
MB wants Christy to go far and he's taking a chance by having a disabled person on the show. If they show the vote, they risk having Christy go on a witchhunt to find out who voted for her since she may know it wasn't Joanna from her handwriting (Joanna voted for Christy in ep.2) -- and MB may want to avoid having Christy placed in the position where she could go off on a tangent. It also keeps the peace in camp by having the others (Heidi, Jenna, Deena) think that Shawna is still with them.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 03:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
By not showing Shawna's vote against Christy MB is also giving the Boobie Alliance the false sense that Shawna is still with them. If he had revealed that vote the others would have been as interested in who cast it as Christy would be. It would have caused suspicion among several of them. So why wouldn't he show it to cause a little excitement at camp?

slowr 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-07-03, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail slowr Click to send private message to slowr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
I agree with the above. I also think that MB wants to keep Christy's story on the backburner because she is (I hope)going to play a prominent role down the road. If there is going to be an increase in the contact between the tribes, whether on "dates"/swaps/co-habitation or whatever, the Boobie Alliance will (please, oh please) self-destruct as they compete for alliances with the guys. I can't see either Heidi or Jenna abandoning their original plans of using their "assets" once they get into contact with the men. I would be surprised if they remained loyal to their fellow boobies if they had the chance to advance in the game.

TribalTex29 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-08-03, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TribalTex29 Click to send private message to TribalTex29 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "MB was keeping Christy from the witchhunt..."
It seemed abundantly clear to me that by not showing the 'Christy' vote it kept people thinking that a new alliance was formed and Christy was safe, thus keeping her from wondering who voted for her and causing trouble for herself. As for Shawna voting for her, that strategy would be more of a moral issue, in which case her vote to keep on a strong player (JoAnna) which would have been more of an ethical strategy.

When it comes down to it, I wonder if showing that elusive vote has ever affected the actual outcome of the game (thru Season 1)?

I know one thing, that if the show is pulling string to keep Christy farther along in the game, than that is a crappy thing to do. But Christy is one of my favorite players (if not the favorite among the women-which was previously held by Shawna)

By the way, can Heidi make herself any more shallow than she already has? Not much surprises me anymore, but her comments about her beauty and attributes make my jaw drop half the time.

03-07-03, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Agree"
If Krautboy, Pepe and brownroach all agree with me, then I second Krautboy's thought that we've come to the right conclusion.

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/3613.shtml#80
http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/3613.shtml#84

(P.S. Hi, Krautboy! I had a rare chance to watch part of Survivor last night and decided to get in a couple of comments. You've been doing a great job over here (and elsewhere) -- keep it up!)

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
At least one vote (which could have been revealed) has been hidden in every Survivor (except possibly S1, I just don't remember). As we know, the order that the votes are read is not random; the votes are initially tallied off-screen and then arranged to be in the order to be read. The question of hiding the vote is a valid one as (a) it is one manner in which the game may potentially be manipulated and (b) it is done without knowledge of what will happen in the game as it plays out in the future. Actually, (b) is only partially correct, they do know what their plans are for the game, it is how the players will play things out which they cannot know.

Hiding Shawna's vote for Christy does two things, as I see it. It conceals from Shawna's alliance the fact that she defected, which could help Shawna possibly if she gets back on her feet and decides to get back into the game. It also mitigates, perhaps, some of the tension that may exist between Shawna and Christy as they continue to live together in Jaburu.

There is another possibility which the promo for next week revealed; (c) on the production level they know that the twist in the game is coming in the next round, early merge/faux merge or swap, so they want to mitigate any damage the off vote may cause among Jaburu in order that it not interfere with the dynamics of their plans.

Well, those are my thoughts, curious what you folks think.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-07-03, 06:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Why hide the "extra" vote?"
It conceals from Shawna's alliance the fact that she defected, which could help Shawna possibly if she gets back on her feet and decides to get back into the game.

I'm thinking that's it, dabo. MB doesn't WANT his players to just give up. And I believe Jiffy looks at rough footage of the TC tribe's previous three days, because his questions always imply he knows what's going on at their camp. So he may have figured out what Shawna was trying to do.

If Jaburu assumes that Jiffy followed his standard policy of reading every single vote that might affect the outcome, they will assume the unread vote was for Joanna. So Deena, Jenna, and Heidi will think that both Christy and Shawna voted for her.

MB and JP might have hoped that concealing the fact that Shawna went off on her own tangent might encourage her to get with it. (But apparently not.)

03-07-03, 09:48 PM (EST)
15. "I doubt this"
Just to stay in spoiler mode for a moment:

I don't think Burnett would give two hoots and a holler about Shawna's vote if it hadn't been cast for Christy. Heck, I'll bet Shawna tells people on the way back to camp how she voted. I don't see hiding her vote as helping her.

What it will do, though, is help Christy. The "beautiful young women" alliance probably has some doubt about how Christy voted. Christy probably has some doubts about them. When they find out that Shawna voted for Christy, the doubts of the BYW will be replaced with crystal-clear certainty ... and Christy will never have had any cause for an argument with them.

In short, the only way I see this is an effort to help Christy. I like it.

Don't forget, MB has encouraged people to cut their own throats right before the "twist." Remember Silas in S3? Sarah in S4?

SuperClyde 87 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-08-03, 02:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SuperClyde Click to send private message to SuperClyde Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Exactly - Shawna helped Christy"
I was thinking the same thing, AyaK. Shawna wants out, but she's trapped in an alliance. The alliance has Shawna but she's shaky, also bring in Christy, but don't know if they can trust her.

Jeanne and JoAnna told everyone they were voting for Shawna.
Deena, Jenna and Heidi knew they were voting for JoAnna.
They got a fourth vote to go with JoAnna, too. How do they know that Christy is trustworthy and gave them the majority they need? If Shawna casts the only vote Christy cannot cast - a vote for Christy. If Shawna's vote is revealed (as she probably expected), the alliance knows they're secure with Christy, know that Shawna is not with them, and they're free to vote out Shawna like she's hoping for.

From her perspective, she probably expected two more votes pre-merge (and not foreseeing a switch), one of which would probably go to Jabaru. Her best chance of being voted out, as she wants, is to show them "you have your fourth. You have your majority. You can let me go." The only way she could do that is to vote for Christy, thereby ensuring Christy is in with the ins, and Shawna is out in the next Jabaru vote. Saying whom she voted for isn't enough. She could prove where everyone's alliances lie with one vote. It was very smart on Shawna's part to get voted out as she wants.

MB enjoyed the drama of Shawna's breakdown and the ambiguity of who the boobie alliance can and can't trust. He wants the trapped Shawna to stay trapped and the loyalties to stay unsure. The best way to do that is to hide Shawna's vote for Christy. It was even smarter on MB's part - they trumped Shawna's ace.

Some super TV production thinking, thinks one SuperClyde.

Chez 777 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-08-03, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chez Click to send private message to Chez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Exactly - Shawna helped Christy"
It may have been smart on MB's part to hide the vote, but I don't for a minute think Shawna went through such an elaborate analysis to make the "super-smart" move of voting for Christy. I think Shawna just was trying to vote for a person who was not part of her "known" alliance (as Christy was questionable). It was probably a toss-up for her whether to vote for Christy or Jeanne.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-10-03, 04:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: I doubt this"
Still, it's not the fairest of production moves, as it gives Shawna a second chance, if she so chooses to take it (which we know from the previews she doesn't).

I'm not sure how it helps Christy if the younger girls still think Shawna is with them though? If Shawna were to keep her mouth shut it leaves Christy in the same place as she was before the vote - hanging on as a 5th wheel, whereas a misplaced vote would have to be owned up to and pretty obviously came from Shawna, even if she decided not to say anything.

03-10-03, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: I doubt this"
If nothing else it could help Christy in getting along with Jeanne, who seemed royally irked at the end of TC4 and ready to read the alliance the riot act. Initiating leader Deena sure turned the game around for Jeanne who has now lost her only real ally and may think Christy is her last hope.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

03-08-03, 05:21 PM (EST)
19. "Or..."
It may simply be that they conceal votes every so often in order to create uncertainty about all unrevealed votes, when it happens is simply a matter of when it is opportune for it to happen.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •