The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

cmaybur 259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-29-02, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cmaybur Click to send private message to cmaybur Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Why are people selecting "non-elimination" for their vote this week? No way are they going to have a non-elimination leg this early. In fact, with twelve teams instead of eleven, I think we will go seven straight episodes with an elimination.

Ep #1-#7 - Seven teams eliminated
Ep #8 - Non-Elimination
Ep #9 - Eighth team eliminated
Ep #10 - Non-Elimination
Ep #11 - Ninth team eliminated, three teams remain
Ep #12 - Non-Elimination
Ep #13 - Finale

Chris

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? Esbea 10-29-02 1
   RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? managerr 10-29-02 2
       RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? ulalame 10-29-02 3
           RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? managerr 10-29-02 4
               RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? managerr 10-29-02 7
               RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? ulalame 10-29-02 8
                   RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? FesterFan1 10-29-02 9
                       RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? ulalame 10-29-02 13
                   RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? managerr 10-29-02 11
                   RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? cmaybur 10-29-02 12
           RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? FesterFan1 10-29-02 5
       Aaron/Arianne cmaybur 10-29-02 10
       RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? Esbea 10-29-02 15
 RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? GTmike 10-29-02 6
   RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote? Esbea 10-29-02 14
 One reason why not realitybites 10-29-02 16
   RE: One reason why not Esbea 10-29-02 17
 Was Thinking the Same thing... sleeeve 10-29-02 18
   To clarify... sleeeve 10-30-02 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-29-02, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Well, it IS a speculation board. I voted for non elim this week because I think its a non elim round....why else? Do I have to justify it? Personally, I think they should be spread out more anyway, instead of having them everyother week.

"I prefer the wicked to the foolish. The wicked sometimes rest."

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-29-02, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
It's speculation--not random guessing. It would be nice if your pick it waaaay out there to justify it a little bit. The pattern doesn't fit with the previous two TAR's.

I am finding the picks for Aaron/Arianne a little strange too...

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-29-02, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-02 AT 12:00 PM (EST)

Although I didn't watch the first season, it's my understanding that they had one non-elimination round when there were 7 teams remaining; given that there was one less team to begin with (11 vs. the current 12), that means they did a non-elimination round in the 5th episode, after 4 teams had been booted--the same as now. In Season 2, I believe the non-elimination round started later in the game. Anybody have the actual statistics of when/how often they've done non-elimination rounds in the past two seasons?

In any event, I see nothing in the preview to suggest that it isn't a non-elimination round--it's as good a guess as any.

Re. Aaron/Arianne, well, they came in LAST this past episode. There are some previews that suggest that their car breaks down. Ergo, I think it's a very reasonable pick--even though they were doing well earlier in the game, that doesn't mean they are somehow exempt from messing up, as the soccer challenge showed us.

10-29-02, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
In TAR2, the elimination leg didn't occur until they were *6* teams left. (Week #6 - Mary & Peach wins the first non-elim leg right before their subsequent elimination) In TAR1 it happened when there were also *6* teams. (Team Guido pushes Nancy, Lenny and Karyn are saved) In both cases, it happened during Week #6. We are only on Week #5 in TAR3.

10-29-02, 12:17 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Also, next week TAR is being pre-empted for the Country Music Awards. Do you really think they'll show a non-elimination leg and then not show TAR again next week? That would be a big momentum loss. I'd advise everyone to wait until the TV Guide listing for the 11/13 episode comes out tomorrow. That way we'll be able to see if it's a double episode that week. (Double Episodes = 1 non elim leg)

10-29-02, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-02 AT 12:24 PM (EST)

I was basing my information on a thread on the surviiivor.com site, where one poster has stated that in TAR1, the first non-elimination round occurred when there were 7 teams left. I haven't been able to find an internet site that documents this, since the CBS site for AR1 appears to be gone. Like I said, I could be wrong, since I didn't see it personally. In any event, just because they haven't done it before, doesn't mean they won't do it this time.

Edited to fix link.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-02, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Here's the documentation you asked for. You're right, the TAR1 official site is off-line, but this site has the same stats and leg info.

Fester

10-29-02, 12:29 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Thanks, Fester. Guess I'll have to reconsider my vote for non-elimination now, since I was basing it on a wrong precedent. Although, I still think it's a possibility--you'd think these players would've watched the last two seasons, and wouldn't it make sence for the producers to shake it up a bit, so the show is not so predictable?

10-29-02, 12:28 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
That poster is wrong. Episode summaries for various TAR's are still online. Go to TV Tome and read the TAR1 Summary for Week 6.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-6686/epid-101048/

Also, in response to another poster, there probably is no additional leg since there are only 11 episodes just like TAR1 and TAR2. (At least according to the CBS website)

Anyway, vote however you want, I do think it's an outlandish theory, but weirder things have happened.

10-29-02, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cmaybur Click to send private message to cmaybur Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
The first non-elimination episode for both AR1 and AR2 occurred in the sixth episode.

Both races featured four non-elimination points (#6, #8, #10, and #12).

Since we have one extra team, and one less non-elimination episode, I think #6 for AR3 will be an elimination episode.

Chris

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-02, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
In both previous editions the non-elim rounds have been the same stages: 6, 8, 10 (leg 10 of TAR2 was actually E9 since E8 was a 2 leg episode).

With 1 additional team it has been suggested that there will only be 2 non-elim points or 1 additional leg. In either case, it makes it unlikely that E5 is a non-elim leg. However, as was mentioned, there isn't any evidence to exclude it as a possibility. If people want to cast their vote for non-elim, it's not the most outlandish idea I've heard.

Fester

10-29-02, 12:26 PM (EST)
10. "Aaron/Arianne"
<< I am finding the picks for Aaron/Arianne a little strange too... >>

I did vote for Aaron/Arianne, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Their race has been spiraling down the tubes and they were almost ready to implode in the last episode. If they don't get re-focused and ditch their dumb alliance, they may find themselves out.

Going after the Fast Forward might be a good idea for Aaron/Arianne at this point. Get themselves back in the lead and not have to deal with the other teams for a little while.

Chris

10-29-02, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
I dont think my pick is WAAAYYY out there, adn even if it was, who cares? The teams they have this time dont fit the pattern of the previous TARS either.
If I HAVE to pick someone to be eliminated, it would be AA. JUSTIFICATION: They are in last place and the preview clearly shows them at night while he says that the car is dead and theyre in the middle of nowhere. The web site also says that one team is broken down and gets passed up by another team. While it doesnt identify the team that gets passed up, Im SPECULATING that its AA. (before I saw the preview, I would have guessed that AA was the team passing up the others, and in fact posted that here in another thread.)

GTmike 1255 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

10-29-02, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GTmike Click to send private message to GTmike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
Non-eliminations like that so close is good only if you have very good charismatic teams that you want to watch (or hate to watch). Maybe AR is setting us up with that for the twins, brothers, Ag/Au, and *maybe* Teri/Ian.

I do think that we are about due for a non-elimination round. It is no fun (and smart teams will catch on to this if they read their rule books) if they know that every other leg is a non-elimination round.

Happy Halloween

10-29-02, 01:21 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Why "Non-Elimination" for Vote?"
LOVE the costume Mikey!!! (no justification needed)

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

10-29-02, 03:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "One reason why not"
According to the TV listings on Yahoo!, The Early Show is having the latest "castoffs" from TAR on their show 10/31.

10-29-02, 03:05 PM (EST)
17. "RE: One reason why not"
LMAO thats the best reason Ive seen!!!!

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-29-02, 07:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Was Thinking the Same thing..."
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-02 AT 07:31 PM (EST)

I hadn't even altered the rules yet to ALLOW a vote of "No Team Will Be Eliminated". In the past two seasons, I have intentionally not added that rule to the thread until after 5 teams have already been elliminated to discourage new posters who aren't familiar with the TAR pattern of elim/non-elim from wasting their vote.

For some illogical reason as soon as people see that as an option, everyone opts to use it, even though it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SEENSE for no team to be eliminated at this point... especially since CBS says that another team will be eliminated this week, and the Early Show has the "most recent team eliminated from TAR" as a guest on thier show Thursdya morning (won't they be surprised ).

Last season when I first added the non-elim to the rules, over half of our voters picked it... even though I said in my opening "I doubt anyone's ready to use this yet, because we have evidence that someone will be eliminated this week"...

...this is why we have a spoilers board, but no individual "speculation" board (as some sites do)... because we want people to vote with their brains... not like sheep.

I suppose that I'll alter the rules for next week-- one week earlier than I had planned-- to allow for non-elim. But mark my words... the first non-elim will be in episode 8, in order to maintain the same pattern that we've had in every series in the past (but adjusting for extra team)... watch:

E1 - Team #12 Eliminated
E2 - Team #11 Eliminated
E3 - Team #10 Eliminated
E4 - Team #9 Eliminated
E5 - Team #8 Eliminated
E6 - Team #7 Eliminated
E7 - Team #6 Eliminated
E8 - No Team Eliminated
E9 - Team #5 Eliminated
E10 - No Team Eliminated
E11 - Team #4 Eliminated
E12 - No Team Eliminated
E13 - 3 Teams Race To Finish

Okay... that's my speculation on this matter... but go ahead and vote how you want to... we'll still count them (but I'll continue to call them a "waste of a vote")

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-30-02, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "To clarify..."
Just to clarify a point from the vote thread... it is not breaking the rules to vote for an outcome that you think will happen. Even though I was trying to guide the vote somewhat (what... you think that I'm the first person ever to make a biased ballot?) by not specifically including the "No Team Will Be Eliminated" rule, it is still acceptable to vote that way.

The only rules violation that has occurred was deleted... it was a comment (Not a vote) specifically addressing points from another person's vote. This is a violation of rule #3, and as such, the post was deleted. Unless your post was deleted, you did not violate any rules of the vote thread.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •