The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do the men know?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-28-03, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do the men know?"
After this weeks RC the men have to know that Christy is deaf but we don't see anything mentioned about it. Granted, she is amazingly gifted and I give her a whole ton of credit, but anyone who has know anyone who is deaf would almost automatically know from the sound of her voice that she is deaf. Don't you think after the RC when we were shown them talking about Joanna, Jenna, Heidi, etc they wouldn't have naturally brought up Christy?

I wonder how they are going to spring it on the guys and have it still be a suprise?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do the men know? waterbug 03-01-03 1
   RE: Do the men know? Mrs Burnett 03-01-03 2
   RE: Do the men know? KeithFan 03-01-03 3
 RE: Do the men know? PepeLePew13 03-01-03 4
   RE: Do the men know? KeithFan 03-01-03 5
       RE: Do the men know? dabo 03-01-03 6
           RE: Do the men know? Swami 03-01-03 7
               RE: Do the men know? SurvivinDawg 03-02-03 12
 RE: Do the men know? VanQ1 03-01-03 8
   RE: Do the men know? joannie 03-01-03 9
       RE: Do the men know? SurvivorBlows 03-01-03 10
   RE: Do the men know? NorthOfBoston 03-01-03 11
   RE: Do the men know? KeithFan 03-03-03 14
 Advantage Canada Girl 03-02-03 13
 RE: Do the men know? Drive My Car 03-04-03 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

waterbug 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-01-03, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail waterbug Click to send private message to waterbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do the men know?"
This is a good question, but I'm not so sure the men did notice much about Christy, KeithFan. A few of them might suspect she's hard of hearing, particularly if they know someone who is deaf, but the majority of the guys just don't notice her. Here's what I think:

1. Christy spoke few words ("shampoo? no I do not"), and most of them probably just think she's a little wierd because of the quality of her voice. At most, they'll think she's a little hard of hearing.

2. She's not a babe, so they just aren't paying attention.

3. Jenna, in particular, is doing an amazing job of throwing out distracting little bits so that the guys continue to not pay attention ("maybe I'll go topless tomorrow" and that "engaging stare"). She's playing the guys, and that works to Christy's advantage.

4. No offense to anyone on the boards here, but reality show contestant DAWs aren't the deepest, most sensitive, or most diversity-embracing lot. For some of these guys (and clearly for some of the women), racial diversity and sexual orientation diversity are to be expected on Survivor, but disability diversity is not. They may think that a) a deaf person would need a signer to accompany him/her, or b) that the producers would never set up such an "unfair" situation for a contestant.

My conclusion: most of the guys just think she's a little wierd and kind of homely. I think she'll be our ugly duckling turned swan (per ChillOne).

~~ waterbug ~~

Mrs Burnett 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-01-03, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mrs%20Burnett Click to send private message to Mrs%20Burnett Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do the men know?"
I think that Waterbug is right on the money with the logic of why the men don't know - or more accurately - haven't noticed. Daniel's interview responses about his lack of knowlege about Christy's deafness supports this.

03-01-03, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do the men know?"
You could be right on this waterbug, especially the part of the ugly duckling/swan CO spoiler. I agree about the DAW part on the younger guys- but a guy like Butch (a guy who we have seen far too little of which to me means he is going far), who has been in EDUCATION all his adult life would have to be awfully suspicious, and I don't know how CBS is going to pull off "SUPRISE!- Christy is deaf!" twice on the show, and maybe more importantly SHOULD CBS do this?

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-03, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do the men know?"
Not necessarily. I'm deaf myself and I've had situations where I worked a whole summer at camp and people didn't even realize I was deaf, even though I interacted daily with them. There's a bit of a legend that went on at my camp about this guy who blew his top and stormed up to me and said ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE! and I said "well you know that I can't..." -- this was after 2 months together working in the same room daily -- and it finally clicked in his mind that maybe, just maybe, this is why I didn't always turn around when he called my name all these times...I can't hear!

Anyhoo... it's not too surprising with all the testerone flowing overtime, the guys might not be completely on the ball with any of the 3 girls that would look out of place in a Miss Nude Universe pageant. We also don't know if the guys did, in fact, discuss it amongst themselves back at camp -- don't forget they also crossed paths with her at the IC in episode 2 with the Q&A game -- and MB chose to hide that.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

03-01-03, 11:19 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Do the men know?"
That's an amazing story Pepe! I stand corrected on that part. I work several blocks from the state school for the deaf here and possibly I interact with more than I realize. I just don't know why MB is hiding them talking about her.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-03, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Do the men know?"
Well, maybe they just didn't talk about her even if they did suspect something. They may possibly be under the impression that she has a slight speech impediment, since from what we have been shown it is clear that she is staying quiet most of the time, and speaking as little as possible when she does speak. I have to admit that if I were out there I would be focussing most of my attention on the challenges, assessing the other tribe would have to be a distant second. And if I were 20-some years younger and single and out there, most of my assessing would (I admit it) be directed at Jenna, Heidi and Shawna.

I still don't know what advantage there is, anyway, to Christy's deafness being concealed from the other tribe. It would be amusing, I suppose, if they had a softball-hitting challenge and the men wasted their energy trying the "heybattah heybattah battahbattahSWING!" on her. Basically, I think it is just her way of trying to assert that she is just like other people, she doesn't want to be categorized or pidgeon-holed on the basis of her disability.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-03, 12:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Do the men know?"
Faced with unknown challenges in the future, Christy and the women would be correct in concealing her deafness for as long as possible on the off chance that maybe, just maybe they can avoid a future challenge disadvantage. I would guess they have figured that out.

Her deaf accent is very slight. Butch should be the one to pick up on it, since most large schools include hearing impaired in their population. That said, I did think that Dave looked right at her & enunciated quite carefully when he asked for shampoo. I was suspicious that he knew, but then he tends to enunciate well in general.

Swami

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-02-03, 08:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Do the men know?"
Agree with most everyone. The only real indication to me that Christy is deaf (besides her telling us) is exaggerated arm movements in some of her "confessionals". She kept this down during the challenge by holding on to the podium, thus concealing this as a clue from the guys.

I'd imagine the guys don't completely know yet.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

VanQ1 66 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-01-03, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VanQ1 Click to send private message to VanQ1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Do the men know?"

In his webchat,Daniel was aksed "Did you or any of the guys figure out Christy was deaf?"

He answered:
No, I never did. Even after our reward challenge last night when we all got to talk to one another I still had no clue. But I give Christy a lot of credit for even going on Survivor because it's tough enough as is with all your senses. But to be deaf and be out there...that's just incredible.

So at the least Daniel didnt figure it out, and probably as there was no discussion over this issue with Tambaqui, I dont think anyone else figured it out either.

joannie 380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-01-03, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail joannie Click to send private message to joannie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Do the men know?"
In the latest issue of "Star" magazine, Jeff says, "She (Christie) didn't want the guys to know she's hard of hearing. So she and I worked out a thing before the show started. If she didn't hear an instruction, she'd secretly signal me with a tug on her ear, and I'd turn so she could see my lips and make sure she got it."

So far I don't think the guys have figured it out. They're too busy tripping over their tongues.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

03-01-03, 06:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Do the men know?"
>So far I don't think the guys have figured it out.
> They're too busy tripping over their tongues.

Tongues huh... I was thinking some thing else...

NorthOfBoston 158 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-01-03, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NorthOfBoston Click to send private message to NorthOfBoston Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Do the men know?"
Yes Daniel is a tax accountant, but he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed out there socially, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

I agree with above comment about Dave over-enunciating things in general, but when I saw/heard him say shampoo, I thought for sure that the men knew that Christy was deaf. It could be that we are underestimating the men in that perhaps they don't and won't use her difference as a chance to gain challenge points, and MB has chosen not to reveal such a discussion because it ruins the suspense of "Do they know?" and changes it into "Do they CARE?". Or, on the other end of the spectrum, maybe they are total creeps and made fun of her deafness at camp, but MB chose not to air it: I doubt he'd air comments that were racial either. (Of course, gender and age discrimination is open-season... but it is in popular television and film too). I think in our society, it is easier to forgive a sexist pig than it is to forgive a sexist pig who also preys on the physical difference of other ("In The Company of Men," anyone?).

03-03-03, 11:57 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Do the men know?"
This may be true, but I'm thinking it's still the *official* CBS story-line. Daniel is probably feeling pressure from them with his mom's loose lips, and the big mystery to the men is still in play.

I think the guys would be talking about her and notice her...she's really not UN-attractive and would probably get hit on by Rob in real life. Granted, she is not swimsuit model or enhanced blonde PE teacher beautiful but she has nice features (don't forget the camera adds 10 pounds).

Canada Girl 3340 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-02-03, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canada%20Girl Click to send private message to Canada%20Girl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Advantage"
I was REALLY wondering about the men and Christy in this last episode, with the enunciating clearly by a few.

However, this could have been the men's chance to use her deafness to their ability by covering their mouths or talking away from her so that when it came around to her turn she would not know what other people had. So either we've got good sportsmanship, or they don't know.

I, for one, think she is doing a wonderful job and continue to be impressed. And I LOVED her diss of the "pretty" jerk girls.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-03, 08:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Do the men know?"
So far we are being shown Chisty's deafness as a bit of a disadvantage. But I think there are going to be times when she can use it to her advantage. Especially since the men don't know. How about after the women start getting comfortable and "forget" Christy reads lips? She can't hear sounds, but she can "hear" conversations that those with normal hearing can't.
Hope she begins to use her gifts, instead of feeling left out.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •