Pretty good show this week. Overall, the performances are at a much higher level but there was no one "WOW" moment for me this week. Lots of good and very good but no great.
Also, the gimmick factor was through the roof. That is not always a bad thing, but I hope it doesn't continue and get out of control.
1. Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry”(5) - He did a great job with this song and showed more power and emotion then usual. I thought the Live version was meh, but this was better then that.
2. Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions”(1) - Storm had a rough week for me. First she was less then impressive in the song writing clinic, then she picks this song. Her rendition was the best so far on this show, but the bar was set fairly low last year. She stays near the top because I still love her. I WANT SOME CRAZY EYES!!
3. Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep”(10) - I'm still not a huge fan of Lukas but I liked the way he did this. It was nice to actually hear him sing. It was the first time he ventured outside his comfort zone, and it exposed a lot of potential.
4. Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”(3) - I totally agreed with Dave, great right up until the megaphone. If he had stuck to just one verse, or better, half a verse and put it away, it might not have had a negative affect. But he never put it down.
5. Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black”(2) - Super disappointed in Ryan this week. The theatrics were terrible. Does he WANT to imitate Zayra? He sang well when his movements didn't suck the power from his voice.
6. Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again”(4) - Where was the opening scream? It's the best part of this entire song? She seemed SO conservative up there with Gilby. (Don't touch him! Don't bump him! Don't get in his way!) Gilby was awesome on guitar, though.
During the "duet" there was a cut to Jason saying something to Tommy. I imagined it was something like, "Dude, we're not letting Gilby do backing vocals for Supernova, right!?"
7. Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song”(7) - A serviceable rendition. Kermit appeared a few times, which I hated. Animal was great on drums, as usual.
8. Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma”(8) - I want to like Patrice, but I just find her blah on stage.
9. Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother”(11) - I appreciated her sparing my ear drums from the anticipated screaming. The rest of the song was sang well. I can't stand her dancing and fist pumping. She just looks like a hard rock cheerleader to me.
10. Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes”(6) - Vocals sucked. Outfit was just plain silly. She didn't even have the energy of passed performances. Maybe she couldn't move in the platforms and skin tight uni-tard.