LAST EDITED ON 08-09-06 AT 03:51 PM (EST)
Okay, gang. I've been too busy the last few days to even peek at the threads, so I had no idea what anyone was going to sing last night. I watched, unknowing , for the first time in a long, long time.
And was I blown away!!!!! That was one of the most exciting and entertaining installments of any talent reality show (hell, almost any reality show) I can remember. So many people gave me chills that it's been really, really difficult sorting them out to rank them. I've changed my mind about ten times, but here's my final list:
1. Lukas Rossi – Radiohead “Creep” - He finally did it. He finally showed me that there is more to his voice than that rasping growl. Not that I don't like the rasping growl. It's just that I didn't know he could do anything else. And, after last week, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to hear that again. But he just came on out and blew me away. I actually liked it better than Marty's version last year, mainly because IMHO it hewed much closer to the original by being more angry than depressed. And the boy can sing!
2. Magni – Live “The Dolphin's Cry” - Perhaps the family was the inspiration, but that was an inspired performance. I love that song and I loved that version. I loved that it was so powerful at the same time that it was so stark. He's growing on me, kinda like kudzu. I don't want to like him, but I can't stop it.
3. Ryan Star – The Rolling Stones “Paint it Black” - The boys blew the ladies off the stage last night. And this was the second surprise our Ryan has given me in as many weeks. Fantastic version...loved it. And for those of us who watched last year, this showed once again how vanilla Mig was when he did it. Edgy arrangement, edgy performance. I'm more and more impressed and glad he's letting it all hang out now.
4. Storm Large – Queen “We Are the Champions” - Best performance by a female last night hands down. One of the hardest songs on earth to sing, but she did it. I would liked to have seen a little of her theatrical side here since the song can support that. However, I understand that she chose not to go that route after all the criticism about theatricality and "crazy eyes." Still...beautiful. And I still think she's the only woman I've ever seen who could make me switch hit.
5. Toby Rand – Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” - I was grooving in my chair to this arrangement, saying to myself that Toby finally found that certain something he's been missing. When all of a sudden, I saw him being handed the megaphone with the Aussie flag on it. And I said to myself, please don't do that. Please. You can only be a pale imitation. And I cringed a little. If only he hadn't done that. If he hadn't, he might well have ranked 2 or 3 for me.
6. Patrice Pike – John Lennon “Instant Karma” - I have no idea what all the rest of you hated about this. I thought this was absolutely her best performance to date. Excellent song, excellent arrangement. And...she showed Josh how you can still make it a performance while playing the guitar.
7. Dilana – The Who “Won't Get Fooled Again” - Newp. Sorry, that wasn't a concert I'd want to go to. Didn't like it at all. All of her flaws showed through on that as far as I'm concerned. All she has is a lower register. She has no "rock scream" (certainly not like Daltrey's, but who does?), just a gutteral screech. She should be glad that Gilby was on screen, wailing away on the guitar, or I'd more harsh. Thankfully, I was too busy watching and listening to him and not her subpar rendition.
8. Josh Logan – Stone Temple Pilots “Interstate Love Song” - I'd have him at 7, except that he can't seem to perform well playing the guitar. He seemed like he wanted to rock out (and with TLee on drums, who wouldn't?), but was hemmed in by the axe. Good vocals, though.
9. Jill Gioia – Tracy Bonham “Mother Mother” - Man, she sucks. I really don't even know what to say about her anymore. Except she sucks.
10. Zayra Alvarez – David Bowie “All the Young Dudes” - I do have to give Jill credit, though. She doesn't suck nearly as much as Zayra. The only entertaining thing about her is betting on how utterly horrible she'll be every week. I'm taking bets on the over and under for tonight on how long it will take me to bash in my TV screen if she doesn't go. I can't stand another minute of her.