The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
" The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-15-03, 05:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
" The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
Aside from S2, there has always been a "Key Confessional". In the past seasons we have always been treated to some sort of clue in the very first episode of Survivor. In the form of a confessional(or lack thereof, which applies to S2 only).

Just to re-hash the past...S1 Rich's "You might as well write me the check" confessional.
S4 Sean(to Vee)"A black person will never win Survivor".
S5 Brian "I'm here on a business trip".
For S2 we got the "dog that never barked" theory referring to the fact that Tina had no confessional in the first episode(A survivor first and only...at the moment).
Or S3 where Kim J. said "Whoever decided to dump the water will probably win", referring to Ethan.

I bring this up only as a compatriot of "pride cometh" yet a tottally different ending. Where "pride cometh" is a symbolic fate thing, wherein Brian and Alex say nothing negative. Or someone falls prey to forshadowing.
Key confessional is the symbol. Where Brian says "I'm the winner" yet, in different words.

This season has everyone talking about things at camp or things concerning the other tribe whether negative or not, none of them spoke as much truth (or with as much symbolism) as Christy's comment in confessional "Doesn't anyone care that I am the only one out here".

Pretty forboding, a statement. Yes? No one else had anything even similar. The comment's context referred to her being left out of a "tribal" decision. Question is "Would anyone care if she were the only one left?"

Not to hard to pick the deaf girl as the winner at the moment. She seems to be riding a crest of popularity from all the peeps, spoiler and non.
Yet how many actually think she can last past a couple of boots.
At the moment, as far as the women are concerned, no-one wants to talk to her. Not one of them is adapting to the FACT that they have a deaf girl on their tribe. The women have shunned her (aside from the niceties of Deena and Janet). Christy left the ball in their court, it's up to one of them to hook up with her, and best to do it...before the men do. Whomever sides with Christy is "Golden".
Just to tie in, I even think she may be the women who doesn't startout as attractive...yet becomes the most attractive woman left.

tribephyl

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... Spidey 02-15-03 1
   RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... tribephyl 02-15-03 2
 RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... dabo 02-15-03 3
   RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... erikman 02-15-03 4
       Agreed Cathy the Canadian 02-17-03 5
           RE: Agreed PepeLePew13 02-17-03 6
               RE: Agreed Loree 02-17-03 7
               RE: Agreed mistofleas 02-19-03 10
                   looks like no.1 tribephyl 02-19-03 12
                       RE: looks like no.1 mistofleas 02-20-03 15
                           RE: looks like no.1 PepeLePew13 02-20-03 16
                   RE: Agreed PepeLePew13 02-19-03 13
           RE: Agreed Brownroach 02-19-03 9
 RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... Boilermaker 02-19-03 8
 RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... Brownroach 02-19-03 11
   RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... PepeLePew13 02-19-03 14
       RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... Brownroach 02-20-03 17
           Matthew Krautboy 02-20-03 19
       RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm th... VerucaSalt 02-20-03 18
 a different opinion.... shakes the clown 02-20-03 20
   RE: a different opinion.... Brownroach 02-20-03 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-03, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
I may be mistaken, but I believe Sean's comment to Vee was in the second episode of S4. Not that Christy's statement wasn't meaningful, perhaps it was. Just that the key statements don't always come in E1.

02-15-03, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
I may be mistaken, but I believe Sean's comment to Vee was in the second episode of S4. Not that Christy's statement wasn't meaningful, perhaps it was. Just that the key statements don't always come in E1.

You are absolutely right. When I was writing this I was a bit on the tired side. Sean and Vee spoke this in ep.2.
In that case,I didn't mean to sound as if the Key Confessional has to be in episode one. It often is found there. (or as we now know, also not found there)
My point was that I believe I have found what is the key confessional from this season. Plus, I am giving a believable prediction and a place for the folks who like Christy to discuss. I know there will be others who disagree. I'm not even sure if I believe. Yet, it is, in my opinion, a "key confessional".

Personnally, I'm leaning towards Shawna or Alex as the winner. However, as of ep.1, neither of the two have said anything of note. Unless Home&Gardens does show up to shoot the hut. Or the gross food challenge is a combo of "Vomit and Snot".

Go Christy!

tribephyl

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-03, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
The key to the key confessional in S2 was that Tina was not shown during her confessional, though she did make one.

I'll have to watch the tape again, but I think Christy's confessional is clearly a possible key confessional.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

erikman 324 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

02-15-03, 11:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail erikman Click to send private message to erikman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
i think the rob statement about lieing might mean him.

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

02-17-03, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Agreed"
I don't remember the exact words, but something to the effect that he would have no problem lying when it suited him.

Also, I saw Jiffy on Caroline Ray, and he seemed to really like Rob. He thought he was really funny, and he said he knew all the rules and would remind Jiffy of things. I think he must be around for a while for Jiffy to have grown so fond.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-03, 01:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Agreed"
Then again, wasn't Jiffy pretty fond of people such as Elisabeth and Gina, too? Neither made it to the final episode.

Jiffy's a trained monkey of MB's so he's not going to give away anything of real substance in his interviews.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-03, 01:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Agreed"
I remember Jeff really liked Hunter. And we all know how early he was booted.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-03, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Agreed"
Pepe, did you tape the first episode?

The reason I'm asking is because I didn't, but I'm sure I remember the woman jumping and hugging each other, after they won the IC, and then several hands up in the air making the sign for "I love you". (or maybe they've done the "name sign" thing and given their tribe a sign. IF I am correct in seeing this, it would indicate that the tribe is communicating with Christy more than we've been shown or lead to believe. If she's already teaching them some signs then they may be seeing that Christy's signing ability could actually be of use to them (besides being just darn fun to know!).

I could have been hallucinating but I don't think so.

--digs out her AmSL books to refresh herself

02-19-03, 06:52 PM (EST)
12. "looks like no.1 "
The reason I'm asking is because I didn't, but I'm sure I remember the woman jumping and hugging each other, after they won the IC, and then several hands up in the air making the sign for "I love you". (or maybe they've done the "name sign" thing and given their tribe a sign. IF I am correct in seeing this, it would indicate that the tribe is communicating with Christy more than we've been shown or lead to believe. If she's already teaching them some signs then they may be seeing that Christy's signing ability could actually be of use to them (besides being just darn fun to know!).

Here it is...

tribephyl

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

02-20-03, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: looks like no.1 "
Thanks for the vidcap tribephyl!

It does look like the "We're number 1" sign but I can't help but think that it could also be a more deliberate sign. I seem to remember from other previews seeing women besides Christy making distinct signs or Christy actually signing to them. I know a lot of deaf people sign as they speak but I'm getting a feeling that theres more to this than meets the eye.

I'll cogitate on it some more and if anyone has reason to believe I'm off my nut and should drop it, I'll love to hear!

--got to "f" words last night in her signing refresher course

02-20-03, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: looks like no.1 "
I'm still waiting for the vidcap, but to me, it's more definitively a "D" than a "one" because of the way the the fingers make an O with the index finger stretched out. Still can't figure out what "D" would mean, other than to say that the men are dumbasses.

02-19-03, 09:13 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Agreed"
LAST EDITED ON 02-19-03 AT 09:16 PM (EST)

>Pepe, did you tape the first
>episode?

Hmmm, I do have the tape of the first episode. I'll have to dig it out and check out the post-IC scene. I only glanced at that scene as I was calming down a baby right about then, so I vaguely recall a hand-waving scene.

Let me take a look at it later on and I'll post my findings if it's a definite sign-name type of deal or not. The Bachelorette's on TV right now, as you know.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Misto.

For what it's worth, I have a hard time believing that there isn't more than there already is when it comes to Christy. She had the foresight to go right up to her tribemates and explain her background and get the names of each of the others -- but later meekily stay behind in camp while everyone else goes off? I don't think so... there's more to it than what we were shown and it's a MB editing trick to build up her story arc.

Edited to add: In the pic that tribephyl posted in response to Misto's post, what they're holding up is the letter "D" or the number one -- there's no mistaking this with any possible name signs (such as "J" for Jaburu) or the I-Love-You sign (which is with the middle and ring fingers tucked in and the other two fingers and thumb extended fully). Hmmmm, now I really have to check the videotape to satisfy my curiousity.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

02-19-03, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Agreed"
Jiffy is just repeating himself all over the place. That was his immediate reaction to Rob, not something that developed over time. From his CBS chat on 2/11:

>>Q: Jeff, who was the most entertaining Amazon cast member, in your opinion?
A: I'll answer it this way: with no indication of whether they last one episode or all thirteen the people that in the first three days really jumped out at me: Rob from Long Island - one of the funniest people we've ever had (and he was a Survivor geek -- he knew every rule). And at the first challenge he made sure that I knew every rule.<<

Though I do think that Rob will last awhile.

Boilermaker 260 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-19-03, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Boilermaker Click to send private message to Boilermaker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
I am a true believer in the key confessional. I instantly rewound Survivor Thailand when Brian said he was on a business trip and told my wife that he wins.

But I really don't think there was a key confessional in this episode. The closest thing was Rob's cheat, lie and steal comment, but I think that is foreshadowing Dave's demise and that Rob will last longer.

It will be interesting to watch Episode 2 to see if any Key Confessionals are obvious.

02-19-03, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
tribephyl -- I missed the first couple of episodes of S4, but it sounds like the Sean/Vecepia exchange would have been in a camp conversation, not a confessional.

So could the "key" speech in S6 be something that's said at camp rather than in confessional?

Regarding Christy as the possible end-game "hottie", the ChillOne's source made a distinction between the "deaf" contestant (who goes in 4th place) and the "ugly duckling" F2 contestant.

Of course, we know how reliable the details of this spoiler have been so far...

02-19-03, 09:21 PM (EST)
14. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
>but it sounds like the Sean/Vecepia exchange would have
>been in a camp conversation, not a confessional.
>
>So could the "key" speech in S6 be something that's said
>at camp rather than in confessional?

True, it WAS in camp when these two (Sean/Vee) were talking alone along the beach away from all of the other contestants. The key speech can be made anywhere in any situation -- Tina's "the dog that didn't bark" wasn't either a key speech or a confessional, and this contrasted with Richard's "write me a cheque for a million" confessional and Clay's "underestimating the little guy" (or whatever he said, I don't remember it verbatim) confessional.

02-20-03, 12:39 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
So, another question, then -- did everyone have a confessional in Ep 1? I was trying to keep track while I was watching, but now my memory is as spotty as Uncle Boat Driver's...

Of the women, Christy, Deena and Jenna seemed to get the bulk. Heidi, Jeanne, Shawna and Janet all had at least one. And I'm pretty sure Joanna had one, I just don't remember what she said in it.

Of the men, Rob, Roger and Ryan (for obvious reasons) seemed to get the bulk. Alex had several, Daniel had only one I think, Dave had at least one, and I'm pretty sure Butch had at least one.

Did Matt have any confessionals? I don't remember any. It seemed to me he was hardly shown during Ep1 -- strange, because there were lots of caps of him in the previews and I expected him to be a much bigger presence.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

02-20-03, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "Matthew"
Matthew had only one confessional...Brian also only had one confessional in S5 EP1.

Krautboy

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-20-03, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Key Confessional"...I'm the only one out here""
I also am a firm believer in, I wouldn't say "key confessional" but maybe "key scene" in the first episode because MB or someone knows who the winner is (lockbox, shmockbox) and has edited the show in some aspect to play up to that winner; he thrives on this stuff. I won't rehash everyone who has stated the "key scenes" from S1 to S5.

Because I broadened the term somewhat, I hazard a speculation that we could be looking for a woman wins this. Which one, I'm not sure b/c as I stated, I don't know that it is exactly what one of them said, it may be what one of them didn't say, it may be what one of them did or didn't do, etc. But my "gut" of first episode key scenes is that the Tarzan tribe gets befallen by the Jane tribe and in a perfect setting, The Amazon.

Is it Jenna who surmised her feminine wiles was to be her way of thought until she saw she was with all women? Will wiles win?

Was it Christy who was shown to us her vulnerability in communication, is communication by speaking though what really gets someone to the end?

Was it Deena who was estastic that the girls are on the same tribe but has a feeling that ultimately the men will dominate; a little reverse foreshadow

Heidi who in this type of Survivor setting is lethal. A body that men covet but a body that is clearly giving them a run for their money?

Shawna who untied (albiet awkwardly) the rope separating the Janes from the Tarzans to begin the quest for the women and is the majority favorite of her enemy

Jeanne a combination of maturity and youthfulness that can end up being what is needed to outwit, outplay and outlast

Joanna and her spirituality but refuses to touch the II; do we see her winning a crucial IC to forge her ahead where she has to embrace it?

(BTW, not including Janet, she is toast lol)

These are off the cuff examples so I'm not really "looking" for any disagreement as to what they mean, just giving some examples but I do believe it could be anything from a statement, a non statement, a gesture, or what have you but I do believe (speculative of course) that we have seen it as reference to a woman victory.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

02-20-03, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "a different opinion...."
..as to the key confessional from the first ep.

The confessional that jumped out at me from the first ep was from Rob talking about Butch. I don't remember the exact line, but it was something to the effect that Butch may be a redneck from Illinois, but he's a pretty smart guy as well.

The reason I thought this was the key confessional was because it was completely gratuitous in that there was really no story involving Butch during ep.1 and, aside from the quote, there was no focus on Butch either. It was said during the time they were building the shelter and although Butch did alot of the work, most of the editorial focus of that segment was on Roger and Ryan/Daniel. The Butch comment came out of left field, and that's why it stuck out in my opionion as the key statement of the show.

It reminded me of the key confessional from S5 ep.1, Clay's comments that he was a diamond in the rough after being the last guy picked for his tribe. As we all know, Clay was a diamond in the rough and made it all the way to the final two. I completely disagree that the Brian/business trip quote was the key line to ep.1. I don't think the Brian quote gave us anything other than how Brian was going to play the game and that he might be around long enough to play it that way. On the other hand, Clay's comment gave us a direct clue not to overlook this guy. To me, that is very similar to the context of the statement about Butch. It doesn't say anything about how he is going to play the game, but it clues us into the fact that there is more to him than meets the eye and he's going to prove to be a very smart player in this game.

02-20-03, 06:13 PM (EST)
21. "RE: a different opinion...."
Very interesting point, Shakes (and where the hell have you been, anyway?)

I also thought it was odd when Butch told all the guys, "no one wants to be seen as the leader, cause everyone knows that person gets voted out first." I don't recall seeing any contestant mention game "tactics" in front of the whole tribe like that before. And on Day 1 no less.

Since Rob is a self-confessed Survivor nut, this may have played into his impression of Butch as smart. But I don't think Rob's confessional remarks were shown in direct relation to that scene. They did seem to come from out of nowhere. In contrast, for example, were Rob's comments about Dave being an easy mark, which were shown right after Dave's "integrity" speech.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •