The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Article from USA Today"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Booted 156 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-13-03, 08:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Booted Click to send private message to Booted Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Article from USA Today"
Who would have guessed we'd come to think of Survivor as the reality genre's classy dowager?

Survivor contestants Heidi Strobel, left, and Christy Smith are part of the all-female Jaburu tribe.

Yet there you have it. Once seen as risky, and even risqué programming, Survivor: The Amazon (CBS, 8 p.m. ET/PT) now seems like the height of high-road TV. Compared with its seedier imitators, it's well produced, the locations are exotic, and the contestants have more on their minds than their prospective marital status.

Sure, the show has had its problems along the way —Africa was too sour; Thailand was too dull. But next to Are You Hot?, its competitor tonight on an increasingly sad and desperate ABC, Amazon looks like The West Wing. Or what West Wing would look like if it were filled with hot bodies and surrounded by anacondas, crocodiles and piranhas.

Considering all the advance publicity, Amazon's big twist may not surprise you, but it's nevertheless a good one: The tribes are divided along gender lines. The tape provided by CBS was not complete enough for a full review (which is why there's no star rating above). But already it seems as though the boys-vs.-girls split will add an interesting dynamic, both in the way the tribes act and interact.

What you learn in tonight's 90-minute introduction is that the guys are stronger, better organized and far more likely to say something jaw-droppingly stupid than the women. They're fabulously unevolved, terrified at the idea of facing their friends if they lose to a team of women, and equally terrified by the prospect of going home without "hooking up."

Otherwise, what's most remarkable is that even after all this time, people continue to make the same mistakes. No one, apparently, has told Roger that it's dangerous to come across as bossy, or told Ryan and Daniel that it's almost always fatal to be branded as lazy. As for Janet, I'm sure she can't help being older and ill, but in Survivor, that's never a winning mix.

On the plus side, there already are a few contestants who look as if they'll be able to inspire a rooting interest. For now, I'm cheering for Christy, the game's first hearing-impaired player, who knows she's at a disadvantage but doesn't whine about it.

Of course, it never pays to place your bets too soon with Survivor.

But it's off to a strong start, and that's what we want from one of the genre's class acts.

Sounds like Roger is in trouble also along with the other 3 that we know about. Also sounds like Janet is the one that gets sick.

Everyone Boot Ed

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Article from USA Today Brownroach 02-13-03 1
 RE: Article from USA Today tribephyl 02-13-03 2
   RE: Article from USA Today Brownroach 02-13-03 3

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-13-03, 09:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Article from USA Today"
LAST EDITED ON 02-13-03 AT 12:55 PM (EST)

Booted, thanks for posting this!

This gives more specifics about the preview tape than the NY Daily News article I put up yesterday. Now we know who comes off as an abrasive leader and who gets sick.

Janet is looking good as a mercy boot in Ep 2. And, what do you know? -- Ryan and Daniel are "lazy".

Roger is getting such negative comments made about him. Even Jiffy said he's "so intolerant" and "the biggest know-it-all". I don't recall Jiffy ever dissing a contestant in this manner before the show. I agree, Roger may be shaping up as a third early boot from the men's tribe.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-03, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Article from USA Today"
As for Janet, I'm sure she can't help being older and ill, but in Survivor, that's never a winning mix.

I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. I think someone deserves a pat on the back for picking the correct sickee. Although not a big deal, it does prove that, to me, I'm not completely crazy and off-base with my predictions this season.
Thanks for allowing me the self-congratulatory moment. Back to the spoiling.

tribephyl

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

02-13-03, 05:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Article from USA Today"
Pat, pat, pat. There you go, tribephyl.

I was really hoping it would be one of the guys, but this has its plus side -- not only do the dudes lose to bunch of chicks, one of the chicks is SICK! Oh, the humiliation!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •