The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"NY Daily News Article"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-12-03, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"NY Daily News Article"
A real survivor
in the TV jungle

SURVIVOR: THE AMAZON. Tomorrow night at 8, CBS.
It's just a TV show now, not a phenomenon. It's not unique anymore, either: It has spawned dozens of imitators, some competing in the same time slot. But don't worry about "Survivor," it's doing just fine.

The CBS reality series is old enough to unveil its sixth edition tomorrow night at 8. It was only the spring of 2000 that producer Mark Burnett's survival-game brainchild launched, but in reality-TV years, that's a century ago.

Yet its new setting (the rainforest of the Amazon) and its latest twist (grouping the eight-person tribes by gender, pitting men against women) are more than enough to keep the show interesting.

Soon after "Survivor: The Amazon" starts, with host Jeff Probst announcing the members of the first team, it becomes clear to the players it will be girls vs. boys, and the sexual stereotyping and sniping begin.

"They may have the will," sneers Roger the construction worker, "but they don't have the strength. There is no way that women are going to beat us in anything!"

Rob, younger and even less respectful, dismisses the rival tribe as "camp of 'The Vagina Monologues.'" Later, imagining how the women are doing, he adds, "I see them all crying, panicking."

"I just want to beat them," vows Jenna the swimsuit model, "to just kind of shut them up."

She sees one disadvantage to the same-sex arrangements.

"You can't use any of your womanly powers over women," Jenna sighs. "With men, you can manipulate them better."

As the teams paddle to their respective flags and set up camp, the activities and conflicts tend to fall into familiar lines. One team has an easier time starting a fire. One person comes forth as an abrasive leader; another gets sick and drags down the team and the mood.

This time, though, the male/female division makes for new and funny contrasts. Instantly, the men start hacking down trees and clearing space on the jungle floor ("My parents would never let me have a machete!" screams one hacker), while the women spend no less energy tracking and killing a tarantula ("I want it dead.").

The women sing while fishing. The men, instead of whistling while they work, discuss which female tribe members they consider the most attractive.

"She is so hot," Rob says of Heidi.

The women apparently think so, too, because they discuss using Heidi as their secret weapon during immunity challenges. Just have Heidi flash her breasts at the start of a competition, one woman suggests (to laughing approval), and the men will lose all concentration.

The CBS preview tape stopped midway through the first immunity challenge, so I can't say whether Heidi pulls that trick.

Even without it, though, I'll tune in eagerly to see what happens. And, for now at least, I'll be rooting for the women.
Originally published on February 12, 2003

----

This is the part that caught my eye:

One person comes forth as an abrasive leader; another gets sick and drags down the team and the mood.

Alex was described as acting bossy in the TV Guide article. Now we also know that someone is going to get sick during Ep 1.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •