The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Probst quotes"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-16-03, 03:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Probst quotes"
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-03 AT 03:53 PM (EST)

If no one objects, I thought I'd start this thread to archive quotes made about the contestants or the game by JP, either in newspaper articles, radio interviews, etc. It seemed that during S5 we had trouble sourcing a lot of these quotes as the game went on, so I felt it would be helpful to have them stored in one place.

I'm not envisioning this as a discussion thread; it would get too long and unwieldy. It's intended as a repository to refer back to when questions arise ("Didn't JP say that 'Elisabeth kicks butt'?") If you want to pick apart a particular quote, yank it from here and repost in the pertinent discussion.

But everyone should PLEASE feel free to add the latest JP pearls of wisdom to this thread, since I know I won't pick up on everything.

If the moderators would prefer that this be handled differently, please advise, and I will repost where appropriate and this thread can be locked.

-- Brownroach

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 JP on Shawna Brownroach 01-16-03 1
 JP on Alex Brownroach 01-16-03 2
 JP on Butch Brownroach 01-16-03 3
 JP on Janet Brownroach 01-16-03 4
 JP on Heidi Brownroach 01-16-03 5
 JP on Daniel Brownroach 01-16-03 6
 JP on Roger heresy 01-16-03 7
 Probst on Jeanne heresy 01-16-03 8
   RE: Probst on Jeanne JohnMc 01-17-03 12
       RE: Probst on Jeanne Brownroach 01-17-03 13
           not trying to step on any toes... JohnMc 01-17-03 15
               RE: not trying to step on any toes.... heresy 01-21-03 17
                   RE: not trying to step on any toes.... dabo 02-11-03 21
 JP on Heidi heresy 01-16-03 9
 JP & MB on Jenna -- "Bikini strateg... Brownroach 01-16-03 10
   RE: JP & MB on Jenna -- "Bikini str... evanakm 02-13-03 26
 It's a Jungle Out There... Krautboy 01-17-03 11
 JP on Christy Brownroach 01-17-03 14
 On jurors exchanging info Brownroach 01-21-03 16
 Someone give up? SurvivorBlows 01-23-03 18
   RE: Someone give up? dabo 02-11-03 22
 Roger = sexist? Brownroach 02-04-03 19
 CBS.com chat 3/11 Brownroach 02-11-03 20
   Jeffy quote overview/perspective big idiot 02-12-03 23
 Women surprise in one challenge Brownroach 02-13-03 24
 Nudity at a challenge? Brownroach 02-13-03 25
   RE: Nudity at a challenge? jkokoj 02-13-03 27
 Jenna not sweetheart, not villain Brownroach 02-21-03 28
 More pre-game comments on players Brownroach 02-24-03 29
   RE: More pre-game comments on playe... ShowMeTheWinner 02-24-03 30
       RE: More pre-game comments on playe... Brownroach 02-24-03 31
           RE: More pre-game comments on playe... ShowMeTheWinner 02-24-03 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

01-16-03, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "JP on Shawna"
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-03 AT 06:58 PM (EST)

http://www.theargusonline.com/Stories/0,1413,83~2034~1109985,00.html

Three locals among gender-war 'Survivor'
By FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Shawna Mitchell, a 23-year-old retail clothing saleswoman, grew up in Redwood City...

``She's a natural girl,'' said show host Jeff Probst in an interview Monday at the Television Critics Association meeting in Hollywood. ``You could go on a road trip with her or you could go to the People's Choice awards. There's nothing put-on about her.''

TV critics saw the first 20 minutes of the new ``Survivor'' series. After the teams were divided by gender, the members got into boats. Mitchell had trouble untying the line that secured her boat.

``My mind was so jumpy I couldn't even untie a knot,'' she says on the show.

***edited to compress.

01-16-03, 03:14 PM (EST)
2. "JP on Alex"
LAST EDITED ON 01-16-03 AT 07:02 PM (EST)

http://www.theargusonline.com/Stories/0,1413,83~2034~1109985,00.html

Three locals among gender-war 'Survivor'
By FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

``At 21 Alex was an alcoholic and he's now 32,'' Probst said. ``He's been 11 years in recovery, and he's a triathlete, which I think is the epitome of clean living. He's had a lot of life experiences, and he had a level head throughout the `Survivor' experience.''

***edited to compress

01-16-03, 03:17 PM (EST)
3. "JP on Butch"

"Survivor" has 2 players who hail from St. Louis area
By Gail Pennington
Post-Dispatch Television Critic
01/14/2003 12:00 AM

Butch Lockley, 50, lives in Olney, Ill., where he's a middle school principal, but he was born in St. Louis. Probst says: "Butch is a principal with principles. He said right off that he wouldn't do anything to embarrass himself, his family or his school."

01-16-03, 03:18 PM (EST)
4. "JP on Janet"
By Gail Pennington

Janet Koth, 47, grew up in Granite City and now lives in Manchester. She is described as a homemaker, travel agent and abstinence counselor.

Says series host Jeff Probst: "You look at Janet, and you think she's going to be the first voted off. Then you talk to her, and you find out she's willing to do anything to win this game. She has all the ingredients to be a winner. She'd lie to you in a second.

01-16-03, 03:21 PM (EST)
5. "JP on Heidi"
By Gail Pennington

A third player, Heidi Strobel, 24, is a physical education teacher in Eldon, Mo. Probst calls Strobel "a wolf in sheep's clothing," adding that "she just looks like a pretty girl, but she's a tiger. She's an athlete. She says in the beginning that the guys have no idea how tough she is."

01-16-03, 03:26 PM (EST)
6. "JP on Daniel"
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/headline/entertainment/1734533

Jan. 14, 2003, 8:53AM

Houstonian is pumped up about being a 'Survivor'
By MIKE McDANIEL
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

"The way Daniel portrayed himself to us was as the great Asian hope," Jeff Probst, Survivor host, told the Chronicle. "He said, `You guys have not portrayed Asians correctly yet, and I'm going to do it.' I think what describes him best is that he's a self-proclaimed 98-pound weakling who transformed his body into sort of a bodybuilder, and he's really proud of that. He thinks that will give him a big advantage, having the will power to accomplish something like that."

Neither Probst nor Mark Burnett, Survivor's executive producer, could say how far Lue advances on the show. The Television Critics Association was shown a clip from the first show, to premiere with a 90-minute episode on Feb. 13, and Lue figures prominently in the first immunity challenge. He has persistent trouble walking across a log while tied to a teammate and could be responsible for his team losing that challenge. The conclusion of the challenge was not shown.

heresy 94 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

01-16-03, 03:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "JP on Roger"
From the January 18, 2003 TV Guide:

Survivor host Jeff Probst notes "Roger is a mentor. One day a mentor's going to win."

01-16-03, 03:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heresy Click to send private message to heresy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Probst on Jeanne"

Probst notes "Moms don't quit."

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-17-03, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Probst on Jeanne"
Mom's don't quit; they just get voted off. Ask Gretchen aka soccer mom or S1 Jenna who caved (and rightfully so) when she didn't get her notes from home and was subsequently voted off.

Mom's can win; ask Tina. But being a mom is irrelevant to winning Survivor. It's like saying that being gay helps you to win. Rich would say yes, but Brandon and John would say no. It may help short term, but long term there's a LOT more to it.

Summary: This quote is irrelevant to the game.

01-17-03, 03:38 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Probst on Jeanne"
John Mc --

The quote does represent JP's impression of Jeanne as having determination, and I think it was perfectly relevant to post it here. It may not be significant in the long run, but so what?

Like I said up top, this is just a storage thread for future ref, and I respectfully encourage it to remain that.

-- Brownroach

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-17-03, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "not trying to step on any toes..."
I'm just saying that JP's 3-word quote isn't going to make a difference in terms of spoiling.

I know your post is set up as a holding tank, but since this is the spoilers forum, it is worthwhile to determine if there is any spoiler value to JP's quotes.

In this case, I don't see spoiler value. I do appreciate your setting up of this thread to discuss JP's quotes, as do the rest of us who come here to spoil the show. I only replied this post because I figured it was easy to prove it's non-spoiler value.

The post is relevant as a JP quote, but I respectfully submit that there is no relevant spoiler material in the quote.

And that's all I got to say about that...

01-21-03, 03:27 PM (EST)
17. "RE: not trying to step on any toes..."
I have to agree that alone this quote probably doesn't have any spoiler value.

However, in Survivor 2, many of us ended analysing a misquote from JP that was originally "Liz kicks butt." to be "Liz kicks butt in the challenges." Many threads were polluted with discussion of the evolved quotation, which threw many spoiler off, waiting for her to win a challenge. Keeping the original quote, along with its source is important to help keep us on track.

Also, as with S2, I have to wonder about the people Probst is not talking about this time around. I don't remember any quotes from him about Tina before the game started, and I have a good memory...

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-03, 06:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: not trying to step on any toes..."
The quote eliminates her from the prospect of being the one who quits, gives up, early in the game.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

01-16-03, 03:55 PM (EST)
9. "JP on Heidi"

Probst notes "She's that cute little girl -- a saber in her pocket."

01-16-03, 05:59 PM (EST)
10. "JP & MB on Jenna -- "Bikini strategy""
http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20030114survivor0114fnp4.asp

Pitt student competes in 'Survivor'

Tuesday, January 14, 2003

By Rob Owen, Post-Gazette TV Editor

Host Jeff Probst said two members of the women's team traveled to the Amazon expecting to use their bodies to their advantage but quickly discovered that "this is not the place you want to put on your bikini to show off your big boobs." Morasca quickly changed her strategy.

"She immediately said, 'I'm not going to wear a bikini around women. Women will judge me; they won't like it. But if I ever get around guys, I know how to use my body,' " Probst said.

CBS's Web site says Morasca has won the Venus Swimwear competition in 2001 and 2002 and was second runner-up in the Miss Pennsylvania USA beauty pageant in 2001.

"Her pageant background made it very fascinating," said Burnett. "She thinks that the way the pageant girls deal with each other behind the scenes is far more ruthless than you ever get on 'Survivor.' "

Probst said Morasca was at home with the competitive spirit of "Survivor."

"She made a lot of analogies throughout the interview process that this is no different than what I do for a living, going to pageants and trying to figure out how to get a leg up," Probst said. "She's really smart, especially when it comes to men."

evanakm 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-13-03, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail evanakm Click to send private message to evanakm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: JP & MB on Jenna -- "Bikini strategy""
>"She made a lot of analogies
>throughout the interview process that
>this is no different than
>what I do for a
>living, going to pageants and
>trying to figure out how
>to get a leg up,"
>Probst said. "She's really smart,
>especially when it comes to
>men."

Does this mean she makes the merge or at least a twist? Or maybe Jiffy's trying to throw us off. I know that I am brilliant spoiler by coming up with the conclusion that either she makes the merge or she doesn't, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

01-17-03, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "It's a Jungle Out There..."
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/living/4950501.htm

It's a jungle out there -- Amazon, in fact -- and it's boy tribe vs. girl tribe
By R.D. Heldenfels

...Just in case anyone thinks the show will be a mismatch, Burnett showed reporters a clip from one early -- and very complicated -- challenge in which the men charged out to an early lead but the women gradually caught up.

The structure did make a difference in how people played.

``There are two girls for sure on the women's tribe in The Amazon who were anticipating walking around in very small bikinis and utilizing that,'' Probst said. Finding out that their tribe was all women ``was absolutely a re-strategy time for them.''

Probst also thought that with the sexes separated, ``the sexual tension kept building and building and building. And when they did get together, or when they would see each other at challenges... it was like a mixer.''

Another notable change in Survivor: The Amazon is the inclusion of a deaf contestant, Christy Smith, 24, of Basalt, Colo. (According to CBS, ``she can hear minimal sounds but relies on lip-reading skills.'')

``Think of the things that go on in this game, and what a disadvantage that is,'' Probst said. ``And we didn't tell anybody that she was deaf. That was up to her.''

``The big thing with Christy is, don't show any favoritism,'' Probst said later. ``We didn't,'' although he did note that during tribal councils, when it was hard for Smith to read lips, he would either paraphrase or repeat things for her.

Probst also caught differences in his performance.

``It screwed me up out there,'' he said. ``I found myself forgetting to look at other people'' and he would try to move his mouth clearly for Smith. ``Afterwards, I'd go, `I think I talked like a 6-year-old through that whole challenge.' ''

While strategies for Smith might be different than for other players, there are always differing approaches within the group.

In The Amazon, Rob Cesterino, 24, a computer projects coordinator, ``definitely knows the game better than anyone who's ever played it,'' Probst said. ``He's telling me rules....

``But to contrast him, we had Matthew (Von Ertfelda, 33), who has been to all kinds of jungles all over the world... and yet he didn't know anything about how to play Survivor.''

Krautboy

01-17-03, 05:11 PM (EST)
14. "JP on Christy"
LAST EDITED ON 01-17-03 AT 06:06 PM (EST)

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/entertainment_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_84_1674058,00.html

Saunders: 'Survivor' tests deaf Coloradan

Host Jeff Probst says Smith was asked in her final interview if she thought it was fair to put her on Survivor.

"She thought about it and said: 'No, but life's not fair.'

"And that sort of summed up her approach to the show," Probst says.

"Without question, she'll be at a disadvantage."

As an example, Probst notes that at night when contestants are seated around a campfire, Smith would be unable to read lips. "She may be out of luck in situations like that," Probst adds.

***EDITED TO ADD:
Also see Krautboy's post "It's a Jungle Out There", above, for more JP comments on Christy.

01-21-03, 01:20 PM (EST)
16. "On jurors exchanging info"
LAST EDITED ON 01-21-03 AT 02:43 PM (EST)

The second half of this article concerns the Ted-Helen-Clay racism brouhaha from the S5 finale. This is at the end of that section. --Br

http://www.nola.com/entertainment/t-p/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1042871103102062.xml

» More From The Times-Picayune
Entertainment News

Louisiana's idolmaker

Saturday January 18, 2003
Dave Walker

Probst did admit that the Glover-Rogers-Jordan contretemps prompted him to warn the "Survivor: Amazon" contestants about casual conversation.

"Everybody loves gossip," he said. "It's impossible for them to not share stuff, so my comment was, 'You better watch how you behave with these people, because ultimately that's what you're being judged on.' "

**edited to fix typo

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-23-03, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Someone give up?"
LAST EDITED ON 01-23-03 AT 12:10 PM (EST)

Ok, so yesterday I finally got around to having an opportunity to read the full Survivor story in last week's TV Guide edition, and one thing stuck out at me that I don't remember seeing mentioned (then again maybe I just missed it) that I found potentially very interesting:

After a section where Jiffy is talking about how much he hopes for bad weather because he apparently thinks it makes a better show (huh?) the following appears:

Menacing skies fit nicely into the Heart of Darkness atmosphere that Burnett says he hopes to evoke, and according to Probst, the fear factor is too much for at least one player a game, someone who essentially throws in their buff. "Too often," he says, "it's the really cute girl - Tanya , Jessie - that nobody wants to see go home."

Thoughts?

-SB

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-03, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Someone give up?"
I just have a feeling that this time it isn't the cute girl next door or Probst wouldn't have made a point of mentioning it.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

02-04-03, 01:20 PM (EST)
19. "Roger = sexist?"
http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/Archive2003/030131c.html

Lions and Tigers and Chauvinist Pigs, Oh My!

Sounds like sexism is guaranteed to rear its ugly head on the next Survivor. According to Jeff Probst, some castmembers will be downright ripe with it. Enter Roger, a Vietnam vet who Probst finds "so intolerant." Roger seems to think the girls just can't hang when it comes to the challenges.

But from the looks of the first episode, he speaketh a bit too soon. In the first challenge, it takes the men about 20 tries to cross the balance beam, while the women sail across in one try. Nah-nee-nah-nee-nah-nah!

02-11-03, 06:00 PM (EST)
20. "CBS.com chat 3/11"
LAST EDITED ON 02-12-03 AT 05:45 PM (EST)

Ack! -- the date in the subject should be 2/11.

Here is an edited transcript. I removed the parts that don't deal directly with S6, and highlighted parts I think are interesting. Complete unedited chat is posted on SurvivorNews. -- Br

Q: Hey Jeff! How's it going?
A: It's going great! I'm in New York City with a Diet Coke and a bag of Red Vines. I'm ready to go!!

Q: Hi Jeff, I love your work. Mr. Burnett said that Survivor Amazon was his favorite of all time, do you agree with him?
A: It's hard for me to have a favorite because each one is such a complete experience. But I will say that I like this group of Survivors and I've noticed a pattern that the even numbered Survivors seem to have more likeable people than the odd numbered. For instance, Australia, fun cast, Marquesas, fun cast and in this one, same thing. A lot of really fun and funny people.

Q: Jeff, who was the most entertaining Amazon cast member, in your opinion?
A: I'll answer it this way: with no indication of whether they last one episode or all thirteen the people that in the first three days really jumped out at me: Rob from Long Island - one of the funniest people we've ever had (and he was a Survivor geek -- he knew every rule). And at the first challenge he made sure that I knew every rule. Roger is perhaps the biggest know-it-all we've ever had. On the ladies' side, we have a deaf contestant, Christy. She had a real struggle in figuring out how to survive in a social game when she can't hear.
A: We also have a swimsuit model who told us in her interviews that swimsuit competitions were similar to Survivor with lots of mind games and psych outs. So she should be interesting to watch as well.

Q: Jeff, what can you tell us about Survivor Amazon that would make us believe that this Survivor is going to be better than others?
A: The biggest difference is we're pitting the men against the women. I had no idea how much fun it would be to watch men and women approach the same problem with such different results. There are certain expectations: the men will be stronger, the women will get along better...but it didn't always play out that way and for me one of the most enjoyable aspects was that the sexual tension was really increased at challenges so when they did see them there was a lot of flirting going on. And for whatever reason, we have more nudity in this season than in any other.

Q: Jeff, I was surprised that you told us that it's was going to be women against men. Why did you not keep that a surprise?
A: For Survivor Thailand we teased that we might do men v. women and we didn't so we decided for this one we should tell people right away and I think it got people's expectations going and as a result was probably a good move on our part because there's something fundamentally interesting about watching men take on women.

Q: Jeff,...what are the different types of challenges you guys have planned for the survivors?
A: In the last couple of season we've tried to get away from challenges that are purely physical and get into challenges that are a bit physical, a bit mental, a bit team work and we continued that in the Amazon because we challenges that will create reality. So, you look for opportunities for someone to be a hero or for someone to be a goat. I can tell you that we found a way to incorporate some of the challenges of the Amazon (for instance, piranha) in the challenges.

Q: What was the weirdest experience you have had while filming Survivor?
A: (edited) And in the Amazon, though nothing happened, we had the worst thunder and lightning storm I've ever experienced. I don't know, wow, that's a lot of rain, I'm talking about thunderclaps that had people out of their rooms wondering if our hotel was still standing.

Q: Jeff, were any of the survivors ever close to quitting; just throwing their hands in the air and walking off?
A: Every season at least one and I can always sense who they are and it usually comes the first seven days. It's simply too much for them -- more than they anticipated, more than they think they can handle. And the key is somehow convincing them without showing any favoritism that they're just homesick and that they can get through this and if they can get over this hurdle they'll be fine. And in almost every instance, that has been true. If the person can just get over that initial discomfort, they'll be okay.

Q: Jeff, what special considerations did you have to make for Christy? Did her disability make it harder for her to survive the elements, not just the game?
A: Yes, her disability absolutely made it harder in every sense. From dealing with her tribe mates to being unaware if a snake was sneaking up on her. There's no getting around the fact that being deaf was a gigantic disadvantage. But it is Survivor and she knew what she was signing up for and there were no special considerations given. Absolutely none.

Q: How come Christy didn't want the guys to know she's hearing impaired?
A: I never said she didn't but if I were Christy why would I want the guys to know anything they didn't absolutely have to know. You have to remember that in this game, at least, information is everything. The more information you have the better you can make your decisions. So, if it had been me, no way would I have let the guys know that I was deaf.

Q: Were there any serious injuries to any of the contestants this time around that you can tell us about? The Amazon is a very dangerous place, how did you keep the contestants relatively safe?
A: I can't tell if there were any severe injuries but I can tell you that if you ever doubt the legitimacy try paying attention to how many times you'll see a Survivor with a bandage or a wrap around the ankle or things of that nature. They are constantly getting beaten up in little ways but in the scope of the game, it's nothing. So, we bring out a doctor to look at them all they'll usually do is offer an Ace bandage and tell them to suck it up. In fact in one of the first few episodes of Amazon you'll see one of the contestants with a hand bandaged so it happens pretty frequently.

Q: Hi Jeff. I heard you were really ill on location. Is this true? What was the matter with you?
A: In the beginning I was a little sick -- nothing too much but you are living in conditions where the water is not the cleanest and the food you eat is not stuff you're used to and every so often you have a few days of having trouble keeping things down but it didn't alter my mood. I was able to snuff torches right away.

Q: Are the male and female tribes going to last the whole season or are they going to be switched up right away in the first episode? Geri loves you!
A: Well, say hey to Geri for me. Obviously I can't tell you how long they stay as men and women and if they ever merge. But I can tell you this: we didn't go to all the trouble of splitting them into men and women to split them up (sic -- Br) in the first episode. And after being out there a couple of days, I'm not sure the women cared if they ever merged.

Q: Were there a lot of personal conflicts this time. Like the ones last time with Ted and Ghandia, Shii Ann, etc?
A: I think it's inevitable that there are always going to be alliances and certain people or groups of people who don't get along well. But overall, I would say the Amazon was much friendlier as a group than the Thailand group.

Q: In some of the episodes, the survivors had to hunt, fish, or find food. Other shows, like the one on Africa Survivor, they were in a protected reserve and did not have to hunt for food. What happens in this season?
A: There are certain protected animals in the Amazon. You certainly can't count the Anaconda, the Cayman Crocodile...but you can fish for piranha or the many other fish in the Rio Negro. And fish will be their biggest source of food this season. The only problem is they have to fish where the piranha are and that can be dangerous.

Q: Jeff, you are looking hotter than ever--I have seen you on a few shows lately. On one interview you said the girls you said the girls of this tribe have more going for them. Can you elaborate on their strengths that you & and the team decided that you could have a powerful 'all girl' team?
A: Thanks for the nice comment! I guess what I meant by that was not that the women in the past couldn't have done it on their own but that this group of women just seemed to have the right elements to want to do this, the right spirit perhaps. And I think you'll see after the first few episodes that even though it's not a smooth ride, that the women really enjoy the opportunity to show America how strong they can be.

Q: Jeff, did you get to see the elusive pink dolphin?
A: Yes! They were everywhere! They were beautiful and it was a real treat. If you haven't seen them yourself, I hope you get to one day.

Q: Jeff, Do you feel the Amazon had more resources for food than the previous locations?
A: Not really. The resources for food in the Amazon is mainly fish and there is certainly plenty of fish. But as you've seen in past Survivors, it's never as easy to catch them as you think.
But they were also given a ration of manioc root which is a grain that you can make little patties out of to cook. It doesn't have much taste but it does have nutritional value.

Q: Jeff, you seemed grouch last season. Are you in a better mood this season?
A: Hell no!! Just kidding. You know, I wasn't in a bad mood last season, it's just sometimes my job is to instigate and if people are going to be snippy or get physical or get lippy, I'll get lippy right back at 'em. That's why it's the best job on TV.

Q: Jeff, what's your favorite part about hosting?
A: Tribal council. I love the challenge of getting people who don't want to talk too much. And sometimes not letting the person who's dying to say something, say anything at all. And then go back to my tent and have a diet Coke and a hamburger and be glad I'm not a Survivor.

Q: Jeff, if you played the game, would you slink under the radar or would you play Richard Hatch to the max?
A: It's hard to say until you're out there. There's no one strategy. The key to being successful in Survivor in my opinion is adaptability. And I think that holds true in all aspects of life. If you're not able to go with the flow, if you're not able to compromise at times...it's going to be difficult. If you look across the board, most people who have been on how show have been adaptable...Richard Hatch excluded.

Q: Jeff, what was the smartest luxury item that was brought this season?
A: That's a good question but hard to answer because it's subjective. So, I'll tell you what my favorite luxury item was. Rob brought a Magic 8 ball and the guys tribe had more fun asking the Magic 8 ball if they were going to get lucky with any of the female Survivors than anything I've ever seen! I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Q: What were the weather conditions like in the Amazon?
A: Very hot and humid during the day and lots of rain at night. I'll tell you this: you need to build your shelter as soon as possible or you are most definitely going to get wet.

Q: Jeff, do you ever feel bad when someone you like gets kicked off?
A: Sometimes I feel bad if I think somebody who is likeable, hard working and knows how to play the game gets voted out early simply because of those qualities. But I always remind myself it is a game and if they're really good, they wouldn't have been so obvious.

Q: How do you choose the names for the tribes?
A: We usually meet with locals and we get lists from them of names of things indigenous to the area, such as fish, birds, names of areas or tribes. Then to be honest with you, we go down the list and start eliminating names that are silly or are spelled funny. This season's names mean "bird" for the women tribe and "fish" for the male tribe.

Q: I have heard that you actually eat the food that the tribe members are challenged to eat. What was the grossest thing you have tried. And have you ever refused to eat anything?
A: I usually try everything we give them so that I have an idea of what they're going through. The grossest thing was the cow's blood in Africa because is was so fresh, warm, salty and we had just taken it out of the cow. To be quite honest, it was a little freaky.

Q: Jeff, give us some good stuff to ponder.
A: I think one thing to keep on eye on this season is the people who are doing a good job of adapting. And I'll leave it at that.

Q: Unfortunately, our time with Jeff is up...

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-12-03, 08:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20idiot Click to send private message to big%20idiot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Jeffy quote overview/perspective"
Great Thread! It has motivated me to type my first Survivor 6 post : )

Contrary to some other input, every quote has spoiler value, unfortunately it is usually found in hindsight.

Anyway, Jeff's last quote of his chat really puts all his other quotes in perspective:
"I think one thing to keep on eye on this season is the people who are doing a good job of adapting. And I'll leave it at that."

So big adapter = big finisher.

First, the obvious example: Christy
All her quotes relate to needing to adapt, his quote about at tribal councilSSS tells us she lasts, and this goes with CO's input of her status. Adapter.

Jeanne: Mom's don't quit. nope they adapt. Adapter.

Heidi: wolf in sheeps clothing. adapter?

Alex: level headed. adapter?

Shawna: his quotes make her sound easy going and an adapter.

Matthew: "didn't know anything about how to win survivor" = not an adapter?

Janet: lie to win. adapter? although i think she is an early boot. He may have been quoting HER.

Butch: will not embarrass himself...hmmmmm...unsure, sounds inflexible and non-adapting...

Roger: "Roger is a mentor. Someday a mentor will win" this stinks of non-adapter.

I'm not confident that all of these are helpful, but I have a strong interpretation of the outcome of some survivors based on the quotes in this thread. (And also because it matches with other evidence.)

Cheers, BI

02-13-03, 11:54 AM (EST)
24. "Women surprise in one challenge"
`Survivor' Of The Sexes: It's A Jungle Out There
`The Amazon' Begins With 16 New Contestants, But It's No Mismatch
February 13, 2003
By ROGER CATLIN, Courant TV Critic

...And while it may be predictable that women would be more agile than men overall, later challenges weren't so predictable, Probst says. "I'm thinking of one challenge in particular where we thought `... I don't know if the women have any chance at all.' And you're surprised again."

02-13-03, 12:49 PM (EST)
25. "Nudity at a challenge?"
Thursday, February 13, 2003
 From TV Guide Insider

Seven Silly Questions for Jeff Probst
In honor of the occasion, we present Probst with the ultimate challenge: answering our Seven Silly Questions. — Michael Ausiello

TVGO: Give me one reason why I shouldn't fast-forward through all of the challenges on Survivor: The Amazon?
Probst: (laughing) This is different, because it's men against women... and I think the challenges will be more fun than ever. Can the women do it? Are the guys really going to lose to these girls?

TVGO: Um, still fast-forwarding.
Probst: At one challenge, nudity is involved.

--------

Hard to tell if Jiffy is joking with that last part, since some of the other questions and answers are tongue-in-cheek.

But there is the ChillOne's somewhat obtuse spoiler about one of the women going topless, or whatever.

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-13-03, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Nudity at a challenge?"
Good stategy on the women's part. Distract the men.

02-21-03, 07:41 PM (EST)
28. "Jenna not sweetheart, not villain"
Thanks to ShowMeTheWinner for locating this. Full article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20030213owen0213fnp2.asp

"There are going to be some people that, unlike Thailand maybe, you will root for. There are some likable people," he said. "Jenna is likable from the very beginning. ... She is a lippy girl with a pretty decent vocabulary. She can put a thought together in a biting way."."

Comparing Jenna to Survivors past proved challenging for the show's host.
"She's not like Elizabeth, she's not America's sweetheart," Probst said. "She's got a point of view, but she's not Jerri, she's not the villain."

02-24-03, 11:31 AM (EST)
29. "More pre-game comments on players"
Once again, thanks to ShowMeThe Winner for this one:

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/columnists/mmendoza/stories/022003dnlivmendoza.9bf9.html

Host can spot the survivors
02/20/2003

By MANUEL MENDOZA / The Dallas Morning News

MANAUS, Brazil – Mark Burnett has given up predicting.

"I predicted Richard Hatch would be the first one voted off," the Survivor executive producer says of the series' first winner.

Jeff Probst, the show's host, has no such qualms. Interviewed last fall at Survivor: The Amazon's jungle-lodge headquarters on the Rio Negro before the series was filmed, he was as eager to share his forecasts as the Web geeks who live to guess what'll happen next.

(comments on Ryan and Janet deleted) -- Br

Early "spoilers" – Web-speak for stories and chat-room discussions that give away plot points in advance – had Shawna Mitchell, 23, and Alex Bell, 32, coupling up and making it to the end of the game. Lately, some Survivor sites have been predicting they'll have early exits.
For his part, Mr. Probst found them charming but says they should watch out for 24-year-old phys-ed teacher Heidi Strobel, whose sweet-and-innocent act he doesn't buy.

"I think Heidi is a major player. Heidi is determined. Heidi overcomes any deficiencies she has. ... I don't trust her."

Mr. Probst also foresaw good things for Roger Sexton, 56, the bossy construction company executive who received three votes last Thursday, narrowly escaping elimination, and for 24-year-old Christy Smith, who's deaf.

"Working against him is he wants to lead," the host says of Roger. "But he's a father, he lost a daughter, he's a Vietnam vet. He has the mentor capability, which could be endearing. There are a lot of young people on this show, and mentors do really well ."

Speaking of Christy, he says, "She knows that people are going to be talking behind her back. But she also knows she's a much better lip reader than she's going to let on."

Mr. Probst was less hopeful about the chances of other contestants, including:

• Rob Cesternino, 24, Survivor: The Amazon's comedian: "The trickster, you always need him. He's the guy who's going to make everybody laugh. The trickster, though, has never gone past the merge."

• Dave Johnson, 24 , the rocket scientist: "He's got a shot, if he's not too threatening. His dilemma is going to be not giving away too much."

• Matthew von Ertfelda, 33, the restaurant designer/world traveler: "The best thing he could get from this show is humility. Let's see if he has the willpower to not brag, because I don't think he does."

• Daniel Lue, 27, the Houston accountant who caused the men's tribe to lose last week's immunity challenge: "His attitude screams, 'Look at me.' He's really happy that he's built his body, that he was a little weakling and he's not anymore."

The Houston Chronicle reported last week that Daniel was diagnosed with malaria after he returned from Brazil. He and the other contestants took preventive medicine while they were on the show.

Mr. Probst listed 22-year-old swimsuit model Jenna Morasca as the biggest sleeper in the group – the dark horse who could win by lying low.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-24-03, 12:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: More pre-game comments on players"
Keep in mind that those comments were made pre-show though, so his opinions on the contestants may change. Still interesting to note what his impressions of the cast are and it's especially interesting that he was pretty much right on about his impressions on Ryan and Janet.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

02-24-03, 01:01 PM (EST)
31. "RE: More pre-game comments on players"
That;s why I labeled it "More pre-game comments on players", SMTW.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

02-24-03, 01:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: More pre-game comments on players"
D'oh... I missed the subject heading

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •