The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Global Extreme--Everest"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

01-29-03, 03:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Global Extreme--Everest"
The outdoor life network...yeah I know it is a pretty obscure cable channel, has a reality show called Global Extreme. They started out with fifty participants....all amateurs who compete in a series of eliminations to get to the final five who will participate in an expedition to reach the summit of Mr. Everest this spring. They promise to show it live...don't ask me how that will really work.

This weekly show, with many repeats, has been on for acouple of weeks now, and they are getting down to a recognizable group of people competing for the final team. This may appeal only to people who like extreme outdoor adventures, but I like it, and recommend you give it a try now that the show has identified some real people, not media whores or wannabie actors, who are also totally buff and gung ho, competing for the five spots. This series has got potential.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest dabo 01-29-03 1
   Agree AyaK 02-03-03 3
       RE: Agree Mon Cherie 03-15-03 12
       RE: Agree dajaki 04-22-03 25
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 02-03-03 2
   RE: Global Extreme--Everest mocha madness 02-10-03 4
       RE: Global Extreme--Everest colleenwannabe 03-11-03 5
           RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 03-11-03 6
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest SurvivinDawg 03-12-03 7
   RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 03-13-03 8
       RE: Global Extreme--Everest joannie 03-14-03 9
           RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 03-14-03 10
               RE: Global Extreme--Everest joannie 03-14-03 11
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest mocha madness 03-18-03 13
   RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 03-19-03 14
       RE: Global Extreme--Everest Kokoro 03-19-03 15
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest colleenwannabe 04-01-03 16
   RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 04-02-03 17
       RE: Global Extreme--Everest dabo 04-02-03 18
           RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 04-02-03 19
           RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 04-02-03 20
 RE: Global Extreme--Everest mocha madness 04-09-03 21
   RE: Global Extreme--Everest AZ_Leo 04-10-03 22
 Spoiler - including final 5 colleenwannabe 04-22-03 23
   RE: Spoiler - including final 5 AZ_Leo 04-22-03 24
       RE: Spoiler - including final 5 colleenwannabe 04-24-03 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-29-03, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
I sure wish I got that network. So, after going all over the world beating out the other 45 players, five lucky extremists win the chance to die on Mt. Everest like so many before them. I hope the film crew gets hazard pay, their dependants may need it.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

02-03-03, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Agree"
You know, dabo, that was exactly my reaction when I first heard about this show (I do get OLN, and I even watch it ... it has the Tour de France and the Vuelta plus the America's Cup all-NZ final (although one of the NZ teams is competing for that great ocean paradise of Switzerland!)).

I read Jon Krakauer's book Into This Air and all of the stuff that was published afterward. As a result, this seems like a really bad idea to me. However, if they do die there, I hope their satellite links keep working so we can see them freeze to death or asphixiate live -- which would become known as the ultimate excess of reality TV.

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-15-03, 01:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Agree"
I read Into Thin Air too. Very harrowing. The show doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me either.

Mon

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-22-03, 07:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Agree"
Big Krakauer fan. I read Into Thin Air and Eiger Dreams last month. Everest is certainly no picnic and survival odds aren't good enough for me to ever contemplate it. But as Krakauer points out, the type of person who mountaineers is slightly off his/her rocker. It takes someone who is both naively idealistic and brutally pragmatic.

The show has been picked up on one of the networks. I watched the first ep. a couple of weeks ago. Looks harrowing.

Also read Into the Wild by Krakauer if you've got a chance. Absolutely engrossing.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-03-03, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
This is the same network that picked up No Boundaries which turned out to be an excellent show. I've been watching this as well. The problem is that they repeat it so many times and throw in so much review of previous shows, I'm never sure if I'm tuning into a new episode or not.

For anyone interested in more info, here is a link to the official website: http://media.yahoo.com/globalextremes/

One note: Their product placement of the Toyota 4Runner makes product placement in Survivor look subtle. The subtitle for the series is "4Runners of Adventure". At least 3 times in any episode they talk about how the 4Runner is used to get judges and crews and everyone else up mountains, across rivers, and anywhere they need to go (and this is in addition to the commercials for the 4Runner). They all but say they plan to drive one up Everest. One of the events coming up will be a 4x4 trek across the Kalahari desert in the 4Runner (how that and the camel riding will help prepare them for Everest isn't exactly clear).

Up until now, expert judges have decided who continues and who is eliminated (driven away in a 4Runner, no doubt). Starting with the next leg, the athletes will have to decide for themselves which one will go. That should add an interesting element.

I do plan to continue watching and, like mocha madness, will be curious how they pull off the live ascent up Everest in May.

02-10-03, 08:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
I would like to keep this thread going for those who may have or want to look at this a-typical reality show. They are down to twelve people, 8 men and 4 women, all going for five spots in an Everest expedition. Now that it is at twelve, the people start to be recognizable as "people" instead of just one of fifty or one of 24 competing for the Everest team. I think this is going to get good as the competition between the twelve gets more intense. What excites me about this show is that these twelve are all totally buff amateur athletes....no media whores or bartender/actors among this group. AZ_Leo was right to comment on the "product placement"... it is beyond the pale, and even the evil genius, Mark Burnett, has not gone this far. I am puzzled how sweltering in the heat of the Kalahari Desert prepares you for Everest....I would think high mountain training would be more appropriate, but you do get to see people in a very different environment, and this is an entertaining show....try it out. The last episode repeats at nine on Monday night, followed by a new one at ten pm. This would be a good time to give this a look, and not feel that too much has happened before that would make it hard to catch up.

colleenwannabe 455 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-11-03, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail colleenwannabe Click to send private message to colleenwannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
Can anyone figure out why Shackleton booted Darrin? Yes, I know the judges made the final call, but it seemed to me that the only thing he did wrong was heave a few times on the side of the road. Oh, and I couldn't help but be amused at how many times the showed that footage.

I also get a big kick out of the 4Runner product placement, especially the challenge where they all had to drive through specially placed flags in their 4Runners. LOL.

I hope they boot Trentje soon, because her whining is very annoying.

Colleenwannabe

03-11-03, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
>Can anyone figure out why Shackleton
>booted Darrin?

All of them, including the judges, made comments about him not being a team player and caring more about himself then the other members. Not sure exactly what he did but they all seemed pretty upset with him immediately after the race.

>I also get a big kick out of the 4Runner product placement, especially the challenge where they all had to drive through specially placed flags in their 4Runners. LOL.

I'm watching just to see how they get it up Mt. Everest since they keep calling it an "integral part of the team".

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-03, 06:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
LAST EDITED ON 03-12-03 AT 06:28 AM (EST)

I've been watching it (The Joy Of Satellite - I get all these channels!) and it is a good show. I think "No Boundaries" is on OLN, also. (Edited to add: never mind, just saw AyaK's note above)

After watching some of these challenges, I think Everest will be a piece of cake...

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

03-13-03, 04:04 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
Hopefully they will mix the teams up when they get to Iceland. How else are they going to know if the final 5 can actually work together? I wouldn't exactly call Shakelton a cohesive group.

joannie 380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-14-03, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail joannie Click to send private message to joannie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
I accidently ran across this show a few weeks ago, and it was very interesting. I receive OLN, but does anybody know what time's it's on? It's not listed in my TV guide. Thanks!

03-14-03, 06:38 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
>I receive OLN, but does anybody know what time's it's on? >It's not listed in my TV guide.

This is from zap2it.com's TV Listings for next week but it's pretty much the same every week. Since I have that set up for my area all times below are Mountain Standard Time. Each of these is exactly the same episode so it's repeated frequently to say the least.

March 17: 7:00PM, 8:00PM, 10:00PM, 11:00PM
March 18: 8:00PM, 11:00PM
March 19: 10:00AM
March 23: 8:00PM, 11:00PM
March 24: 10:00AM

Here's a link to zap2it for future reference: http://tv.zap2it.com/

It's pretty good for looking up show listings for your cable network.

joannie 380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-14-03, 09:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail joannie Click to send private message to joannie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
Thanks so much Leo! And thanks for the link!

03-18-03, 06:03 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
For the benefit of the half dozen or so people who might be interested I will try and keep the torch going on this show. They just finished the Costa Rica portion of the show, and they eliminated two more contestants. They will take the remaining nine to Iceland, plus the Toyota Forerunner....as they keep reminding the viewer. The goal is to eliminate four more to get down to a team of five to go to Everest. I remain interested because I like the activities that these people participate in. However, this show is not as good as it could be, and I cannot really put my finger on why that is. You have good looking people participating in the events who are totally into doing the tasks at hand. They are not media whores looking for a spot on Hollywood Squares, and the challenges are very difficult....you would think this could be compelling television, but it just does not translate. Maybe it is because there is not enough conflict, or perhaps the tasks do not translate into what qualifies someone to tackle Everest. I welcome someone who watches this show to weigh in on this, and if you want to catch the show now the OLN network repeats each episode many times during the week, and next Monday will have a summary of the Costa Rica challenge portion...so a first timer could easily catch up on the action.

03-19-03, 12:56 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
I don't think the problem is with the cast, the tasks, or the concept (although it could use some tweaking). The problem is the producers don't really know how to do this right. You can see this in some of the other shows they do. OLN also covers adventure racing (I even think they use the same host as Global Extremes). If you compare OLN coverage to EcoChallenge or the Discovery Channel Adventure Race you wouldn't even guess its the same sport even though it has a lot of the same teams and tasks.

The production values here are cheap and they leave out whole chunks of information so it can be hard to follow. For example, when Petit was pulled due to injury they never explained how that effected the rankings. The judge just suddenly popped up next to her teammate who was separated from the team for some reason (again, never explained) to say he should go back. Then they all went on with the race.

Also, I think this week's episode was the first time you saw any interaction between the teams outside of actually racing. I was beginning to wonder if the members of one team ever interacted with the others. Since the final Everest team would almost have to be made up of a combination from existing teams, how would they know if they got along?

And of course the CONSTANT hyping of the Toyota 4Runner is just ridiculous. Apparently whenever anyone is injured they send a 4Runner to drive them to the medical transport which I think was also an SUV (it's happened twice). And don't you love how whenever someone radios to the Expert Judges they are always sitting in a 4Runner so you get some nice interior shots?

If they could afford to turn this show over to someone who knew what they were doing like Mark Burnett or Jerry Bruckheimer (TAR) or even the No Boundaries producers it would be much more exciting and compelling. Of course, then it would also be on a real network where others could see it.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings

03-19-03, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
LAST EDITED ON 03-19-03 AT 04:51 PM (EST)

This is one of those "new ideas" that I was talking about in the Crapola thresd. Of course it's someone else's idea and it's already a show, but with some tweaking and better production values and if you moved it to say, CBS or NBC, this show would be very popular.

Say:

* Forget the preliminary rounds. Start at 12 with 3 teams of 4. You could actually start with larger teams depending on how long you wanted the show to be, though (I'd actually start at 5, so they don't immediately have a tie vote. It also creates the prospect of a tie vote later on, since they'll have longer to get to know eachother).

* There has to be some kind of twist in the mid-game, so they can make sure the final team will know everyone else and can at least work well together.

* They really need more interviews and more of the human drama that people like to see. Maybe they should increase the camp periods?

* I'm not sure where the game ends (from the show description):

Twelve participants will then be selected to take on planet Earth in one of the most grueling physical challenges ever created as they vie for $250,000 in the new five-month-long series

For OLN $250,000 is pretty steep, so I'm wondering if there is only one winner? Or do the final few split it? Or do the final 4 get $250,000 each? Is there actually a "winner" in this game (I think of it as more of a "go team!" style game)?

I think the schedule should work something like this....I don't think two switches is too many considering that all of them need to be able to work together as a team (and reforming the teams at every location is a logical way of doing this - although I'm not sure ~how~ they should reform the teams). Is there a merge already in the game? I think one would be logical at 6, so they can eliminate the last couple of weak ones as a group.

Starting with 15....

Location 1:
Episode 1 - Down to 14
Episode 2 - Down to 13
Episode 3 - Down to 12
Location 2:
Switch
Episode 4 - Down to 11
Episode 5 - Down to 10
Episode 6 - Down to 9
Location 3:
Switch
Episode 7 - Down to 8
Episode 8 - Down to 7
Episode 9 - Down to 6
Location 4:
Merge
Episode 10 - Down to 5
Episode 11 - Down to 4

Final 4 share the million and then they can all go climb Mt. Everest?

The merge could stand to happen earlier - say in episode 7, 8 or 9 instead of 10. It really depends on how the game is going in terms of who is getting voted out.

* Anyone else have any ideas to improve this thing for prime-time? (not that it'll happen but I wish it would; it'd be nice to have a good new reality show concept instead of another crappy dating show next season)

-----------------------------------
"This isn't a story about how good triumphs. Good people are going to die." - BTVS

04-01-03, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail colleenwannabe Click to send private message to colleenwannabe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
Last night's episode was odd.

They have divided them up again into 3 groups of 3. They are in Iceland now and staying with local families.

Two of the groups were shown interacting with the families and then on some sort of challenge, but one team did not have a challenge.

Weird. This show must have been shot with a very small badget.

04-02-03, 11:49 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
The product placement is getting odder, too. I swear they all but said they drove everyone from Costa Rico to Iceland in Toyota 4Runners. It got more airtime then the hosts. And although there are only 3 humans on each team, don't forget that the Toyota 4Runner is the fourth and most important member of each team. I think they plan to drive up Everest, not climb it.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-02-03, 03:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
Excellent! Let me know how many Toyotas die along the way! Damn, I wish I could see this show.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

04-02-03, 04:10 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
LAST EDITED ON 04-02-03 AT 04:10 PM (EST)

If you check out the official website you'll notice the Toyota 4Runner has a longer and more detailed bio then the athletes or expert judges. It even rates its own tab.

http://media.yahoo.com/globalextremes/toyota.html

They don't mention whether any 4Runners were harmed in the making of this series, though.

04-02-03, 04:16 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
>Damn, I wish I could see this show.

Just so you know how much excitement you are missing, this is directly from the summary of the last episode on the website.

Team Pumori stayed with a local fishing family in West Fjords. The team (without Andy Corra, who traveled home to visit his newborn son) spent a day on the ocean catching thousands of pounds of cod and other fish.

Team Lhotse stayed with Hjalmar Bjornsson and his family in Isafjordur. Bjornsson, who works for an Iceland power company, took the athletes out in the field to learn about remote repairs in the country’s rugged terrain. Climbing the power poles was familiar to Troy Henkels, who does similar work in Alaska.

Team Ama Dablam stayed with sheep farmer, Thordor Halldorsson, and his family. In addition to his farming duties, Halldorsson doubles as a school bus driver and mailman. In an amusing segment, the athletes struggled with moving rams from the same pen as the sheep -- a necessary activity at the end of the mating season. The athletes also helped tend and feed wild horses.

http://media.yahoo.com/globalextremes/episodes/13.html

04-09-03, 10:12 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
I think my fellow posters on this thread are correct....the producers are just not competent enough to make this interesting. This weeks episode is a perfect example. They are camped out on an exposed glacier when a severe storm blows in trapping everyone in their tents for twenty hours. One tent collapses and three people have to scramble and get in the remaining tents to survive a bad storm....then they break camp and walk/ski out in severe weather. This should be compelling and dramatic stuff.....wrong.....it was all covered in about ten minutes. There is so much more of what could have been done....this is a perfect example of what might/could happen on Everest, but the producers never explain this, or distinguish which contestants have high altitude mountaineering experience, and how important that really is for an Everest Climb. All of this should be exploited....but alas it was largely ignored. If you want to get an idea of what an Everest expedition is all about check out the May issue of Outside Magazine. I get it the old fashioned way...in the mail, but it is available on-line, and it has several articles about Everest. The magazine also has a full page ad touting the May, 2003 Everest Climb by the five Global Extremists that are ultimately selected. I will keep watching along with the six other people that tune it...but as I have posted several times....gives this a look see. It "could" be more interesting, but it least is watchable....as compared to the "Unwatchable Crapola" I have complained about in another thread.

04-10-03, 01:24 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Global Extreme--Everest"
It will be interesting to see if they re-edit it for the rebroadcast in syndication or network. I plan to watch it this weekend for that reason and I'll let you know.

04-22-03, 04:51 PM (EST)
23. "Spoiler - including final 5"
So it came down to whatsername and whatshisname, and that other guy, and the other girl and the final guy who looked so happy to make it.

OK, that's enough of that. Had to wade through 45 minutes of rehash to find out that:

1.Petite
2.Ted
3.Colleen
4.Troy
5.Jesse Haynes

all made it.

The adventurers knocked out Jesse R and Trentje, and then the judges finished off Sam (thank God) and Andy.

Andy was named as an alternate.

I really loathed Sam, and I was so pleased to find that the judges agreed with me. Yea!

04-22-03, 05:48 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Spoiler - including final 5"
I was glad to see that almost all the athletes picked Trentje to remove. The only reason she made it this far was that her other teammates were stong enough to carry her along. I didn't think she was anywhere near the caliber of the others.

04-24-03, 05:10 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Spoiler - including final 5"
Trentje did better in Iceland than she did earlier, but I wasn't surprised that that didn't seem to help her.

I was shocked that she still thought she could handle Everest, however.

I wonder how they will handle the filming of that ultimate challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of angst happening on that mountain. So glad it isn't me!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •