The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

11-05-02, 12:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
I know it is early to discuss this but I didn't want the information to be lost over time. I also thought this would be a safe place to start my first topic since no one comes here much anyway.

On an S5 thread, http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/3211.shtml#49 Brownroach posted that as of 11/1 they had been on location filming S6 for at least a few days:

The radio interview with Probst below was posted at Sucks.
------------------------------

Every Friday, Ben and Brian interview Mark Burnett and/or Jeff Probst about what's happening behind the scenes of Survivor.

Ben and Brian's Survivor interviews: www.benandbrian.com/survivor.html

On November 1st, Jeff was interviewed via satellite phone from the Survivor 6 location. Here are a few interesting tidbits from that interview.

Jeff Probst: Hey, guys!

Ben and Brian: Hey Jeff. Where are you?

Jeff Probst: We are on location in a place I can’t tell you, but I’m definitely on location. Where we’re at has had some pretty bad storms, so all of our power is down and all of our phones are down, so we’re on a satellite phone…

Does this mean that the S6 cast doesn't know about the non-merge twist? Or would MB show them the episode before they started filming? If I remember correctly, he did show the S4 crew the S3 swap just before they started.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... Draco Malfoy 11-07-02 1
   RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... AZ_Leo 11-07-02 2
       RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... Draco Malfoy 11-08-02 3
 RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... Kokoro 11-15-02 4
 RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... FesterFan1 11-15-02 5
 He'll show them... sleeeve 11-16-02 6
   RE: He'll show them... TribalTex29 11-17-02 7
 RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... Tumbler 12-13-02 10
   RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... AZ_Leo 12-17-02 12
   What if? JohnMc 12-23-02 14
 RE: Do the S6 survivors know about ... Bert 12-16-02 11
 Survivor 7 survivorscott 12-22-02 13
 Bump sleeeve 01-05-03 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-07-02, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
Speaking personally, I can't understand why they WOULD show them the non-merge or other twists in the show. Part of the entertainment of this past episode was that they assumed the merge was coming and got thrown a curveball by there not being one. It's much better television if they don't know what's coming, and isn't that what they're really all about here?

The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir... Beware!

11-07-02, 12:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
On the other hand, letting them in on the non-merge means that this is the first time (since the first time) that the survivors really don't know what's coming. Will there be a swap or not, will there be a merge or not, will there be purple rocks, what other twists and tricks does MB have waiting to throw at them? What strategy do you come up with to get to the end game when you have no idea what's going to happen in the middle.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

11-08-02, 08:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
I see your point, but, at least IMO, bursting peoples' bubbles and assumptions is a lot more entertaining than people just wandering around not knowing what's going on.

The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir... Beware!

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-02, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
I personally hope, just as with the "giving away immunity" rule, they don't bother to use this one again. At least not in the next one - it's only really a surprise if you don't use it everytime. Of course, if one tribe is down a couple of members, ~then~ it might be a good thing. Things just have to be played by ear more - just as the S4 switch was pulled out because Maraamu was getting destroyed, the non-merge should've been halted immediately when the dynamics started to get interesting.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

11-15-02, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
Well, the cast of S4 were shown the S3 swap, and afterward MB said that he definitely wanted them to know that they shouldn't assume anything. If he truly means that, he would show the cast the tapes of E7 and E8 to let them know that it is possible that they will be living on the same beach with another tribe. If nothing else, it would plant the seed that might save the predictable E6 individual IC threat boot candidate.

Fester

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-16-02, 01:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "He'll show them..."
...if it matters.

Remember that the regular audience watching S6 will have seen S5, and will thus assume that the Survivors have ALSO seen S5. The general public doesn't think about filming dates while they're watching the show.

*This* is why MB showed the S4 folks the swap, and why he's likely to show the S6 folks the non-merge. Because he wants them to know about it so that they don't look as foolish when it happens again... if they're shocked, then the regular audience will ask themselves "didn't these morons learn anything from S5???"

If, on the other hand, they aren't shocked, but adjust their strategy accordingly, then we'll see new tribal dynamics, which should be fun for the audience to watch.

...so yes... I believe that he will show them the non-merge... if only to make sure that they're aware of what the audience assumes that they're aware of.

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

TribalTex29 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-17-02, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TribalTex29 Click to send private message to TribalTex29 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: He'll show them..."
I am slightly disappointed by this years show in that I prefer to watch individual immunities over tribal immunities, and I also can't help it, but I like when the odds are even. If they had merged and ShiiAnn had sold out her tribe, where would they all be right now.

Not that former SookJai didn't have it coming. I figured from day one that the tribe that seemed destined for distinction had a few things up its sleeve, not too mentiuon that SJ's self congratulatory ways weren't anoying as hell the first few weeks, but what can we do now?

As long as there are no pulling an immunity rock from a bag will I be fed up with this show. And to reitterate that statement, the voting for Season 4 should have gone back to previous votes, which Paschal had none. What a jip.

Anyway, I say have the tribes live together and merge even easier. I bet its harder to be a castaway and have even more opinion come at you from every direction. Either that or switch the tribes up randomly every few weeks. That I would like to see.

Tumbler 108 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-13-02, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tumbler Click to send private message to Tumbler Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
According to Survivornews.net, filming for "S6" ended today, 12/13. If that's true, then the non merge ep. 8 (4 or 5 weeks ago) couldn't have been shown to anyone 'before' the game. Although MB could have just told them outright.

This is the way I see it. Burnett didn't use any twists in S1 or S2. He switched tribe members in S3 and S4. He messed with the merge in S5. My guess, is that he messes with the merge in S6 too. Since he delayed it 2 episodes this time, Look for the merge 2 episodes EARLY this time...

Of course, I am frequently wrong, so take it for what it's worth...

Tumbler

12-17-02, 06:18 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"

>Although MB could have just told them outright

If I remember correctly MB showed the S4 contestants the episode of S3 with the switch just before the game started. So even thought they weren't in the US when the episode aired they knew it was a possibility. I think the non merge episode was just about the time S6 started filming so he could have done the same thing.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

12-23-02, 04:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "What if?"
I like Tumbler's thoughts on the fact that S1 and S2 had no twists (we were just getting used to the game), and in S3 and S4 we had a swap/twist (getting used to a new game). Since the merge was messed with in S5, it makes sense that S6 will have some funky merge.

I don't know if an early merge is a good idea (though since filming is already done it doesn't really matter) because through the first 6 eps we are still getting to know the members of the individual tribes in smaller circles. Let's just say that they merge at 12 instead of 10. That gives 2 people more opportunities to hide UTR, and a greater chance for a pagong to take place.

If an early merge had taken place in S5, then Sook Jai would have been the dominant tribe for the rest of the game (and then Jake would have won!). Since it would only take 3 tribal immunity wins to ensure game domination through F7, it just isn't a good idea. (Devil's advocate: it does allow more opportunities for new alliances to be formed, shaken, etc.)

While I don't think that the merge should have been delayed as long as it was, they needed a legitimate tie breaker as the tribes "pseudo-merged" at 5-5. If it was individual immunity, then one team member was safe, but the 2 new tribes, attempting to pagong, would be tied. The team challenge was the only fair tie-breaker, and I think that if S6 enters the "merge", be it real or unreal, at 5-5, then a fair way to break the tie is a team challenge. That takes fate out of the hands of the purple rock and places it back into the hands of the competitors, as it should be.

So what about the S6 merge? I don't know, but I agree w/Tumbler in that the merge will probably be messed with somehow.

Bert 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-16-02, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bert Click to send private message to Bert Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Do the S6 survivors know about the S5 non-merge?"
From what it seems to me, all the surivior contestants miss what happened in the previous survivor, so they can get away with tricks twice. Nothing in 1 & 2, the tribe switch in 3 & 4, the merge messiness in 5 ( & 6???). I'd expect a similar twist, but the castaways won't know about it...

-bert

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

12-22-02, 06:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Survivor 7"
with the dates in the Survivor 7 application, they will have seen all of Survivor 6 before the filming starts. So they will know all of the twists from this round.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

01-05-03, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Bump"
Bumping to consolidate forums.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •