The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

VA Slim 450 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

10-16-02, 10:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VA%20Slim Click to send private message to VA%20Slim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Well it threw me off to have the teams fly from Mexico City instead of from Cancun direct (with connection) to Heathrow. Trying to work American Airlines into the mix? Seems like some teams used them. Well, if the producers allow the teams to depart from Aberdeen then AA is no longer an option. There are 3 early morning flights from Aberdeen that fly with 1 connection to Lisbon. Air France leaves at 6:10 and arrives in Lisbon at 12:15 with a connection in Paris. KLM flys at 6:20 with at connection in Amsterdam and arrives at 12:45. BA flys at 6:30 with a stop in London and arrives at 1:00. Otherwise the next international flight isn't until 5:15 pm arriving at 9:00 the next morning. Of course, all of the teams could try other domestic air (British Midlands for instance) to get to London and try other flight connections. With the cloudy skys near the castle it was difficult to distinguish the time of day that the first group of teams finished. It was daylight when the teams arrived in Aberdeen and since a charter bus was used there were probably few stops (if any) on the way. The days are long in Scotland in the summer, so they could be at the Pit Stop earlier than most other segments. Looks like more opportunities for bunching before they even get out of the UK!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland VA Slim 10-18-02 1
   RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland Serendipity 10-18-02 2
       RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland VA Slim 10-18-02 4
   If it was me.... Esbea 10-18-02 3
       RE: If it was me.... ELCinOhio 10-18-02 5
           RE: If it was me.... Esbea 10-18-02 6
               RE: If it was me.... VA Slim 10-18-02 7
                   RE: If it was me.... Esbea 10-18-02 8
                       RE: If it was me.... VA Slim 10-18-02 9
                           RE: If it was me.... Esbea 10-18-02 10
                       RE: If it was me.... Esbea 10-24-02 13
 RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland cmaybur 10-23-02 11
   RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland VA Slim 10-23-02 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

10-18-02, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail VA%20Slim Click to send private message to VA%20Slim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Throw the above post out! What will our teams do? Last evening flight from Aberdeen to London leaves before 9pm. Nothing then until the next morning! Stay at the airport or try to take a bus or train farther south? Edinburgh is 125 miles and Glasgow is 150 miles. More flights from there to London or to other places on the continent? Or continue on bus or train south - London is 550 miles from Aberdeen. This leg to Portugal could offer opportunities for later teams to catch up without the "traditional" bunching of all teams waiting at a single airport or for a charter of some sort.

Serendipity 525 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-18-02, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Serendipity Click to send private message to Serendipity Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Can't figure out what time they got to the pit stop.

According to the web site, it's 350 miles from Cambridge to Aberdeen. The first bus left at 7:30 p.m., and it certainly shouldn't take them any more than 8 hours (or does someone know differently). It was daylight when they arrived, but days would also be very, very long in Scotland in the summer so it could have been 3:30 a.m. With a 15 mile trip to Stonehaven (45 minutes tops), playing the games (1 hour?) and a 45 minute run/walk to the castle, this could mean the early teams checked in at 6 a.m.

They show them arriving AFTER Dennis & Andrew's plane landed at 9:45 a.m., but 14+ hour bus ride seems far-fetched, even with bathroom and food stops.

10-18-02, 11:38 AM (EST)
4. "RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Even though the website says that the distance is 350 miles the BRITISH AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION maps show the distance as 464 miles. The problem is that if you travel the MOTORWAYS (similar to our Interstates) then you have to travel West-Northwest from Cambridge to Birmingham before heading north toward Glasgow. Then back East-Northeast to Edinburgh before crossing the Firth of Forth and heading north to Aberdeen. The speed limit on the M is 80 mph but if you travel in a more direct line north from Cambridge up the east side of England you travel on the "A" roads where the speed limit is less. Counting a stop or 2 (for the driver - if not the contestants), I believe the trip probably took 11 hours. I have driven from about 30 miles north of Glasgow to London and it took me between 9 and 10 hours. I did my trip in the day and they were traveling mostly at night, so traffic may have not been as big a problem, but I doubt that they could have made the trip in under 10 hours unless the driver was "flying a little low" if you know what I mean!

Esbea 7377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-18-02, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "If it was me...."
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 11:44 AM (EST)

If I was leaving without time to make a flight to London that night, Id take the overnight train to London or Edinburgh..either way, youd be at a major airport and able to catch an early flight out. It beats hanging out waiting for daylight while the others increase their lead.
Someone else posted that the trip was closer to 500 miles. I think you have ot watch the editing here. Teri/Ian and Amon were finishing the punt in the dark, hours before Dandys plane arrived. They also finished at the castle in the dark, so roughly 12 hours after they finished the punt. I doubt the bus ride was 14+ hours.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, youre still a rat"

ELCinOhio 215 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-18-02, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ELCinOhio Click to send private message to ELCinOhio Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: If it was me...."
I am pretty sure it was still light out when all teams finished the Highland Games.

Lets say it was a 10 hour bus to Aberdeen, plus 1:30 for the ride and the games. That would mean the first bus all finished between 6:30 and 7:30 AM.

Tack on 2:30 for JVJ, and 6:00 for A-mon and Terri/Ian. They would have finished around 2PM.

The only ones who finished later was Dad/Son who probably finished close to 10PM. (cambridge at noon, 10 hour limo ride)

There are a couple of keys to the next clue.

1. Do they fly to portugal first? or is their first route marker/Detour in Scotland.

2. What exactly does the clue say? Something it says fly to here, or take a bus. Other times it says go to this Airport, take this bus line etc. They key is reading the clue for exactly what it is.

10-18-02, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Esbea Click to send private message to Esbea Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: If it was me...."
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 01:32 PM (EST)

I watched my tape again, and youre right, but by the time Teri/Ian got to the castle, the sun was very low in the sky. Sunset is late in Scotland that time of year, so it would have had to have been way after 2PM.

10-18-02, 02:09 PM (EST)
7. "RE: If it was me...."
Don't let the "low" sun fool you. You have to consider how far north Aberdeen is - about 57 degrees North! Here in the States, we are only about 40 degrees North. The sun can still be low but not near setting. If you believe that the first groups finished at mid-morning and there was a 5 1/2 hour difference between the 1st and 3rd bus, then a finish about 2 or 3 in the afternoon for Teri/Ian is likely.

10-18-02, 02:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: If it was me...."
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 03:13 PM (EST)

I really did take that into consideration, having been there a couple of times. The last bus left at 1:30 AM....so Ill still stick by my "i think it was later than 2PM" (Of course Ill eat Ians hat if Im way off....we'll see what time TerIan leave.)
Either way, if theyre having to go from Scotland directly to Portugal, they will all be leaving at some gawd-awful hour in the AM........Id still train it outta there rather than wait at the airport.

10-18-02, 05:19 PM (EST)
9. "RE: If it was me...."
I agree, don't waste time in Aberdeen - fog in the morning can be a factor. If allowed (not have to wait for "pre-arranged" transportation), get as far south as you can during the night. Be careful though once you pass Edinburgh. A plane that departs for Heathrow or Gatwick around 6 in the morning from Edinburgh will beat an overnight train to the airport - since the trains from the north usually terminate at Euston Station in London and then you need to get a bus, taxi or take the Tube out to the airport. And all of those methods are crowded early in the morning.

10-18-02, 07:33 PM (EST)
10. "RE: If it was me...."
Exactamundo....Edinburgh would be my first choice, its closer so youd have more time to see what flights are going where. Since its Scotlands "major" airport its possible that they might get a direct to Lisbon (or wherever)

10-24-02, 10:23 AM (EST)
13. "RE: If it was me...."
Looks like Ians hat is safe for another week....5:28 is when they left. ;)

cmaybur 259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-23-02, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cmaybur Click to send private message to cmaybur Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Is there an airport in Aberdeen? My Great Britain travel book only lists airports in Glasgow and Edinburg.

It would seem to me that the quickest way to get out of Britain would be to fly into London, or if the teams leave at night and there are no flights until the morning, to take a train into London. Does Britain have high-speed trains like in France? Also, would trains leave from Scotland for London at night?

Once in London, how regular are direct flights to Lisbon, or will the teams have to change planes (like in Paris, Madrid, or Barcelona)?

Chris

10-23-02, 03:32 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Take the Low Road FROM Scotland"
Yes, there is an airport in Aberdeen. I've flown in and out of it! Aberdeen is a hub for the oil business in the North Sea. Mostly domestic flights but foreign carriers such as SAS, KLM and AF do fly in there. Britian's railroad system is not that modern (except for the "CHUNNEL" train to France). There is express service between major cities with few stops but don't expect the "Bullet Train"! There are direct flights to Portugal from London.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •