The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Who has God on Their Side?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-12-02, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Who has God on Their Side?"
I know that "FatBoy" is on the board cheering for his parents, and well that he should. He opened the door, and asked others on this board to cheer for them as well, and that is where I part company on the "minister couple", and begin the bashing.

After episode # 1 I contend that his folks are the most annoying team. I can hardly wait for them to either be eliminated or more importantly for them to shut up with their "thank god affirmations". We got a taxi...."thank god"...we got to the boat..."thank god".... What's next, I had a dump....thank god? Tell me fat boy, if a taxi driver delivers them to the wrong place will your folks "curse god" for their misfortune?

The problem I have with "religious" people of any stripe is that they do not shut up about their faith, and want everyone else to reach their level of spirituality. What is wrong with a silent affirmation? My vision of God is that he or she is too busy with real problems and real issues to give a rats ass about whether your folks find a taxi, or a particular sports team has a sufficient number of good Christians to win the big game.

The gauntlet has been thrown down...flame or bash...have it your way.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Who has God on Their Side? Tsunami 03-12-02 1
 RE: Who has God on Their Side? mcfatboy6950 03-12-02 2
   RE: Who has God on Their Side? Java 03-12-02 3
       RE: Who has God on Their Side? mcfatboy6950 03-12-02 4
           RE: Who has God on Their Side? trigirl 03-13-02 5
               RE: Who has God on Their Side? Canadian_eh 03-13-02 6
                   RE: Who has God on Their Side? trigirl 03-13-02 7
                       RE: Who has God on Their Side? Canadian_eh 03-13-02 8
                           RE: Who has God on Their Side? curveball 03-13-02 9
                               RE: Who has God on Their Side? Canadian_eh 03-13-02 11
                               RE: Who has God on Their Side? strawberry 03-13-02 14
   RE: Who has God on Their Side? plimtuna 03-13-02 10
 RE: Who has God on Their Side? deepkangadoo 03-13-02 12
   RE: Who has God on Their Side? TeamJoisey 03-13-02 13
       RE: Who has God on Their Side? Cole 03-14-02 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tsunami 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-12-02, 09:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tsunami Click to send private message to Tsunami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
AMEN Mocha Madness! And I'm from Minnesota so I'm trying really hard to like them. If God is truly the micro-manager they seem to think he is, I have a few things to talk to him about.....

mcfatboy6950 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-12-02, 10:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mcfatboy6950 Click to send private message to mcfatboy6950 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
I will be happy to respond. First of all I do not in anyway represent Cyndi and Russell's view on any subject. I speak for myself and as far as anyone knows I may or may not be a son or daughter to the above mentioned. Since you called me out I am happy to step up and take a shot.
In my excitement I went a little over board in my first posts. Most have found this to be true and have given positive posts. Some like yourself have seen and stepped through the wide open door I left for flames. That is fine.
The next subject you asked me a question so I will again respond with my own opinion. This may or may not be the opinion of C & R. When a person that believes in God Thanks him for anything. They believe in him so much and love him so much they feel impressed to thank him on every possible occasion. Not because they believe God gave them a fast taxi or turned a light green for them. They thank him because they truelly appriciate the life God gave them. When I thank God in any area it is out of love not out of selfishness. In this same thought why would one damn or curse God whom they love so much for any reason?
In response to your last thought about Christians. I will tell you why they can not shut up. If you believed you had the cure to cancer would you tell anyone? If your parent was about to die of the same would you give them your cure? You see all Christians were once dead on the inside. In Christ they found life. He has brought them such joy and fullfilment they can not help but tell people. It is like a fountain spewing out from the inside of them. They feel the transition that came when they stopped wanting to damn God and instead wanted to praise him. Yes friend they feel they have found a cure and want to tell people.
If you like you can go around feeling like God does not give a "rats ass" about you. In my case I would rather believe he is who he says he is. I do not go around forcing any thing on anybody. I will however say this read John 3:16 in the Bible. Ask yourself this question "do I want to spend my life in a pridefull state of self worth should I risk an eternity". I would rather live my life for God and be wrong about the things in the Bible than live my life cursing him. At that point what have I mist out on? However what if I am right and God is who he says he is. People that do not believe spend an eternity in a place called hell. That my friend is a question everyone must answer for themselves as for me it is to big of a gamble. As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
I am open here you can flame me all you want. We live in a great country were people have the freedom to speak there mind on any thing. I think a holy war would be of little interest. I am not trying to alter your views and no matter what you say you will not alter mine. Thanks for your time. On the subject of C & R I hear they are some of the most wonderful people anyone could meet. I hear they have raised an incredible family and have been married for 28 years. I do not know if your petty opinions will alter there legacy.
P.S Fat Boy stands for a motorcycle not a fat child

Java 519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-12-02, 11:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Java Click to send private message to Java Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
They thank him because they truelly appriciate the life God gave them.

mc, your reply is lengthy which tends to put people off, but the sentence above is a great explanation for why most Christians are so vocal about praising God. I’m agnostic myself (not atheist), and I don’t want to have anyone press their beliefs on me unless I ask them to. However, it rarely bothers me to hear someone joyfully express something that they find comforting, whether it is praising God or chocolate. I am surprised at the number of people on this board who are turned off by this. I guess that mix of opinions is what makes this a fascinating place to hang out.

Goe Zoe!

PS: Fat Boy is a cool bike, but my fav is the Electra Glide!

mcfatboy6950 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-12-02, 11:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mcfatboy6950 Click to send private message to mcfatboy6950 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
I did get a little bit lengthy. What can I say I am the son of a preacher. I do enjoy this site and the opinions on it. I understand this is a "sucks" site. I also understand the right for people to be heard. Someone's opinions would never offend me. If they did I would be a hypocrite. I Love having a voice in this world. I would never condemn others for using the same freedom.
P.S I have yet to ride the Glide but hope to have the opportunity

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-13-02, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
On the subject of C & R I hear they are some of the most wonderful people anyone could meet. I hear they have raised an incredible family and have been married for 28 years.

Did you just hear McFatboy or do you know?

Regarding the 'God Squad', I think the reason people get turned off by the "God Bless" stuff is that it almost seems a parody and therefore insincere....like some TV Evangelist. I don't believe that to be the case with C&R. I understand what you are saying about being grateful for this life, but it comes across as almost pushy.

I hope the God Squad does okay, but wish they would lay off of the alleluias a bit.

Canadian_eh 32 desperate attention whore postings

03-13-02, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canadian_eh Click to send private message to Canadian_eh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
> I understand what you are saying about being grateful
>for this life, but it comes across as almost pushy.
>

I don't get how affirming or celebrating one's faith "pushes" that on anyone else? They're not asking you to praise the Lord, they're just taking a minute to do it themselves.

trigirl 2851 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-13-02, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail trigirl Click to send private message to trigirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
>they're just taking
>a minute to do it
>themselves.

A minute...did you watch the same episode I did?

03-13-02, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Canadian_eh Click to send private message to Canadian_eh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
LAST EDITED ON 03-13-02 AT 04:33 PM (EST)

It couldn't possibly take more than 5 seconds to say "thank god" or "god blessed us" or whatever; even if they said it 10 times, that's less than a minute...

But I still don't get it, why is this being "pushy"?

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

03-13-02, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail curveball Click to send private message to curveball Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
like the little kid in a grocery store, "Mom can I have some candy? Can I? Can I? Please? Can I? Please? Can I? Can I?"

ENOUGH! If someone says anything two or three times in a single episode, no matter how long it takes to say it, they are going to get made fun of. Having them tell us SEVERAL times (and worse yet believe) that God is helping them out when the fact is they had dumb luck, and put it in a perspective of "See what God can do for those who embrace him?" (as if God must like them best of all the contestants) is irritating. It would be the same thing as Wilma saying God helped them get to the yacht first, and punished Blaige by making them wait (that's what you get for cutting...)

(and please, guys, save me the 'well maybe he did' response)

Team God squad - you're right, God made you so dumb that you got lost from the others, had no idea what dock to go to, had no idea why nobody else was at that dock, had no idea if a boat WAS EVEN COMING to that dock...and then rewarded your stupidity by giving you the fastest boat.

03-13-02, 05:04 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
Irrating? Yes

Pushy? I don't think so.

strawberry 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-13-02, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strawberry Click to send private message to strawberry Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
Did we watch the same episode. What I saw was a team that was first to the airport. First to the tree. First to the docks. Second to the boat. If that is dumb than I would like to be the dumbest person on earth. It took guts to stick with there first decision and not follow the crowd. They could have given up and went and waited for the next slow ferry. They were given good directions and stood by them. I am not sure but I think editing might have something to do with why we here them say God so much. I noticed the only time we saw them (very little by the way) was when they were mentioning they almighty. Maybe they are trying to portray them as pastors (love them or hate them) and not people like you or me. I am no producer but I understand somethings. P.S I think you are the smartest person in the whole world LOL

plimtuna 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-13-02, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail plimtuna Click to send private message to plimtuna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
MC- Preach it Brother! Well said.

PlimTuna
"Now that reality has been redefined, can I start living my dreams?"

deepkangadoo 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-13-02, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail deepkangadoo Click to send private message to deepkangadoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
As a Christian, I constantly hear others take the name of the Lord I love and use it as a vile curse. I would venture to say (as someone who wasn't a Christian for the first 24 years of my life) that it is just as troubling for Christians to hear this as it is for nonChristians to hear us thank or praise our God. Free speech cuts both ways.

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-13-02, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
>As a Christian, I constantly hear
>others take the name of
>the Lord I love and
>use it as a vile
>curse.

Speaking of this (and heading off on a tangent), did anyone else catch this? Gary(David), the dork, said he was a Jew and had to convert quickly in the cab on the way to the statue of Christ the Redeemer. Moments later, rappeling down SugarLoaf mountain he lost his footing and started falling. When he caught himself he muttered "Jesus!" to himself.

NOW who has God on his side?

Cole 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

03-14-02, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cole Click to send private message to Cole Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Who has God on Their Side?"
As I have said on other threads, I consider myself a decent Catholic. I know the Preachers and mcfatboy are not, but religion of any type is very important to me, and I appreciate the fact that they find comfort in their faith. Having said that though, I do think the act is getting a little old. I don't view them as pushy - I haven't yet seen them trying to impart their religious beliefs on others (if they have it's not on camera). The whole angel bit was a little too much for me. And I am starting to really dislike Cindy. When they were climbing up the steep path, she paused, bent over, and for the second episode in a row she exclaimed "OH GOD! help us." Seemed to me that she's got the afterthought "help us" thing down. Wouldn't a preacher who was truly asking for help sounda little more sincere, i.e. something like "Lord give me strength".

They were the second team to leave but checked in 6th. Everyone was really bunched together because of the 8 am opening of the hang gliding. Oh and did anyone else catch the editing? They showed Cindy and Russell getting to that first route marker first (right after the OH GOD). It made it seem like they were SO far ahead. Then when Tara and Wil and the two twins arrived, in one shot, Cindy and Russell were still there. Unless they stuck around for everyone, I think Cindy and Russell were being edited to make it look like they are early favorites.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •