The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Artcurus 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-07-03, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Artcurus Click to send private message to Artcurus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
Hi,

I am going post this message over several different boards, I dont know if you actually read these, but hopefully this message will somehow reach you and you'll take to heart what I have to say, it's too important.
First, a little background, I have followed many children in Hollywood over the years as a hobby, and had the privilege of talking to quite a few. One thing that's common to each of these child actors from talking to them is that they love what they are doing. These kids WANT to be there.
The bad part about this business is that if the child doesnt like it, it can make life miserable for that child. I can think of two actresses that the situation was bad enough where the parents pulled the child out of the business, one was Whittni Wright,(I'll Do Anything, Sudden Death)and the first girl who played Dr. Quinn's daughter in Dr. Quinn, Medicine Women, name slips my mind at the moment. I do remember in a interview though, she wanted out because of the demands of the business and that she wanted to live a normal life.
Over the weeks, I and quite a few others, have noticed that Tori has been more and more depressed, as basis for a comparison, Taylor seems to be doing pretty well.
I have no doubt that Tori wants in this business and she's good enough to be here. However, please sit down and talk to her. Find out what she wants for sure. If this isnt it, which I am pretty sure that that is the case,talk to the producers, see if you might be able to open some options for her after the group completes this album.
If they are willing to work with you, start shopping for a radio friendly country song that's written in 3rd party (third party meaning the point of view is told as if someone is watching what's happening and telling the story) such as something from Martina McBride like Concrete Angel or Patty Loveless' She Drew A Broken Heart.
If she does make it to mainstream radio,it could end up a win/win situation for both Tori and the rest of the group. More exposure for the Jr's with some crossover from the country fans. You could use this a selling point with the producers.
Maybe we are wrong altogether and she just hates the songs, but if how she appears on screen lately is any indication, it's more likely going to get worse.

Art

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... RonniLee 08-07-03 1
 RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... managerr 08-07-03 2
 RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... jmwm 08-07-03 3
   RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... Artcurus 08-07-03 4
   RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... stephy 08-09-03 6
       RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... Drive My Car 08-09-03 7
 RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... strid333 08-07-03 5
   RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... Artcurus 08-09-03 8
   Re: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ T... spinningwords 08-10-03 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

RonniLee 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-07-03, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RonniLee Click to send private message to RonniLee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
I don't think the kids are really going to be into this, until they find out who ALL the group members are. It's so up in the air that I think the so-far winners are just being thrown into many directions.
I don't think Tori is depressed, perhaps just disappointed that her friend Jordan hasn't made the group or something to that nature. not a big deal.
Don't look too much into this- this is all new for them, and being thrown up on the stage without any clue who the members are going to be is bound to confuse/upset some members.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

08-07-03, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
I don't think you have a good point. But at the same time, I don't think that this will by any means be a permanent thing. The ratings for this show are abysmal and children's groups just don't sell that way these days. I'm sure these kids will be around for awhile and possibly put out a CD--maybe two, but there is no way Tori, Taylor, or anyone of these kids are around for the long haul.

I think that for these kids, the hardest part for them will be "returning to their normal life" after the whirlwind is all over. It's when they return to their "real life" is when I think they'll ultimately be able to decide if it's something that they want to pursue.

jmwm 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-07-03, 07:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jmwm Click to send private message to jmwm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
From someone who knows Tori and Taylor's mom well, rest assurred they have only their best interests in mind. Tori was and is still very excited about the program and performing. As with any nine year old, the attention span tends to fade and having gone to one of the tapings it gets long and at times boring especially after you have already been rehearsing it for a week. With anything they have done, the parents have always taken the position that whenever it stops being fun, or whenever you don't want to do this, just say the word and it is over. They are both very grounded girls with very stable and realistic parents.

08-07-03, 09:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Artcurus Click to send private message to Artcurus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
Hi JMWM,

Thank you, that is a relief. I was concerned because I wasnt the only one that noticed what has been happening.
I have to quite a few child stars over the years, it's a tough business, and if that child doesnt want to be there, it can be a miserable existence.

Art

stephy 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

08-09-03, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stephy Click to send private message to stephy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
Art,

I have read a few of your postings some of which I initially believed to be quite interesting and others of which I have found recently to be quite disturbing.
I cannot speak on behalf of Tori's parents but as a mother of a teen who has been in the business for many years I find it extremely unsettling as to what your nature is on these message boards. To think that Tori's family may heed the advice of a stranger who's hobby is "children in the entertainment industry" is once again unsettling. PLEASE READ THIS!!! is almost as if you are pleading.
I come to these boards on occassion when my daughter calls me and say's "mum you've gotta to read this." This posting was one of those moments. I would like to remind you that many children are reading these boards and to see an adult so deeply involved is rather unsettling.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-09-03, 08:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
I agree stephy. I think I'd be more concerned if the girl's parents were taking advice from an anonymous poster on a message board as to how to raise their children.

Your heart may have been in the right place Art, but where I come from people don't tell others how to raise their children if they don't even know them.

And to the poster who knows the Family of Toni and Taylor ( sorry, forgot your name as I was posting) Please congratulate them on their lovely and talented children, I occasionally catch this show, and the girls are very talented and poised, I wish them well.

And a Welcome to our new members, nice to have you.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-07-03, 10:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
What you write is good. Parents should be careful not to push their children too hard on anything (be it show biz, math camp, or sports). If the child wants to do it, let them but if not, don't pressure them hard.

If these kids, genuinely want out of AJ, they should be allowed to leave without the parents being sued to death.

And yes I know that piano lessons or other lessons may suck at first and being allowed to quit after 3 lessons isn't right, either. Life isn't a thrill a minute where you do everything that you enjoy all the time.

I, for one, never really liked piano and the practicing but I kept doing it until Gr 10-11. I understood why I did it and my parents wouldn't let me quit after a couple years of piano, though. I love singing and the piano helped with reading music and sight-reading and having piano coupled with singing is one of the most natural combinations. The piano also has given me money because I would accomp. the church in summer (when the choir was disbanded - yeah I like singing and choir better).

(And for the record, obtained from www.imdb.com , the Dr. Quinn girl was Erika Flores.)

Three is the perfect number.

08-09-03, 10:21 PM (EST)
8. "RE: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!"
As first I wasn't going to make this a public post but I was unsure whether Stephy would respond to an email request.

As far as the "Cars" poster is concerned, he is correct. I will admit that probably did make a mistake posting that letter, probably one that will ulitimately drive me from this board. You know what they say sometimes about hitting that "SEND" button,oh well, too late now.

I want to give you a larger picture. Child stars are my hobby, and child singers are natural extension of this. Yes I am very passionate about it, and to be honest, I'll be happy when this show is over and everything gets more or less back to normal.

I have followed the careers of many child stars, starting from 1940's with Margerete (spelling incorrect but not looking it up right now) O'Brian to the 2000's with Alex D Linz. I have built and been invovled with 4 sites.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/maewhitman/index.html (mostly down at the moment)

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/haleyjoelosment/index.html (maybe be completely offline, thank you Angelfire, long story)

http://www.heatherorourke.com

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/judithbarsi/ (DO NOT go to this site if under 13, Judith's situation was abusive she died at age 11)

By the way, if you think I am bad, go here (G)

http://www.childstarlets.com

DreamWeaver and I have had a few go arounds in the past.

I have set up fan networks for Mae Whitman, Haley Joel Osment, Heather O'Rourke and the loose collection of fans that are Judith's. (Small but very loyal) At Mae and Haley's peak popularity (98-99), I was dealing with something in the neighborhood of 50-75 emails a day from fans for each. When Sixth Sense came out, Haley's peaked at 120.

I have studied this business for a long time, watched kids come in, and exit. Some go on, such as Thora Birch, some drop out such as Whittni Wright. There's aspects to this business that most people would be completely unaware of, for instance, there's different pay rates for children in Hollywood. In the 80's Heather O'Rourke was at the top of the game, she was one of the highest paid child actresses in the business and in high demand, this where Dakota Fanning is now. However,you compare Kerri Kei Heim or Schott Schwartz, they were in a lower echelon, lower pay and not as much exposure.

Dakota and Heather followed pretty much the same track, movies,tv appearences, etc.

Go here to look it up

http://www.imdb.com

Anyway I digress. The post to Tori's parents may have been rash, but I fully meant it. I KNOW what this business can do to kids, from actually talking to a few of the stars, and talking to parents whose kids have got out of the business.

To the other posters who took the time to debate and discuss with me, thank you. It sure beats "Who is cuter?" and "What color is AJ's Underwear?"( YES THIS THREAD CAME UP IN ANOTHER BOARD!) "Who do you think should be in the band? and the 3,000 polls. (not knocking RM on this one though he's responsible for at least half. Just kidding RM!)

Art

spinningwords 96 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-10-03, 04:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail spinningwords Click to send private message to spinningwords Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Re: To Tori's Parents/PLEASE READ THIS!!!" - LONG"
Once again, I feel I should step up to the plate in Art's defence. Art spoke up with genuine concern that was in the best interest of the kids and got trashed for his efforts. For the record, he was NOT the only one who was concerned and did not make his post without consulting others. As Art mentioned previously, this forum has much discussion that goes on outside of the board in both personal messages and in email. To single one person out on this board as a predator based on a personal hobby is nonsense.

Art, was not the only person who noticed that there appeared to be problems with the stress levels in the group but he was the one who was willing to take the flack by pushing the SEND button. Perhaps it should have been ME. I have corresponded with him both on the the boards and off the boards and I can assure you that he is just as normal as you and I.

Each individual on this forum deserves the chance to be able to write about what concerns them and what their opinions are on regarding topics on the forums. Furthermore, they should not have to be concerned about a personal attack. I believe that Art would not have been attacked for his post had he not mentioned that he is an avid collector of this type of music. While people may not have said it at the time, it looks like several silently agreed with those that said they were "creeped out". If you have a problem with Art, why not take the time to get to know him a bit? I can assure you that you will change your mind.

So what if he makes a hobby of listening to performances in a certain age group. What's the difference if you idolize Clay Aiken or would rather watch young kids perform? I don't have kids myself and in fact have never wanted them and yet I enjoy listening to the talent of children. It's totally unique and in many ways more interesting than adult entertainment. Usually the only time you get to hear kids perform is in talent shows so it is quite apparent to me that if someone enjoys it that it would almost be necessary to develop a hobby of tracking it by watching every televised talent show possible.

Let's think for a minute folks. Predators don't advertise what they are doing! As the former victim of a predator, I can guarantee you that Art does not exhibit behavior off the board that is anything like those that victimize women or children. He simply likes to collect a special form of music. There is no crime in any hobby that does not hurt people in any way. And Art is NOT doing so. In fact, he is doing the direct opposite and promoting the fair treatment of these kids. So why are certain members of this forum flaming him and saying his posts are unfit to read? What crime has he committed?

Stephy and another member said that Art told them how to raise their children. I certainly never read that into Art's post. All I saw was Art trying to point out a possible problem that may or may not have been noticed by the parents. Contrary to what seems to have been implied, he did NOT tell Tori and Taylor's parents how to parent, nor did he tell anyone else how to parent.

I'm thankful that this forum has intelligent posts that are interesting to read on a daily basis even though I don't always agree or like what I see. What I've liked here is that although individual posts may be torn apart or criticized - people are usually not criticized as individuals. Lately that has not been the case and Art has been targeted several times merely because he indicated that he has made a hobby of collecting music by young artists. What is WRONG with his hobby? I don't see ANYTHING wrong with it and in fact think Art is a tremendous resource for this group. I started watching the kids and got hooked just like Art did....will I get flamed as well?

Spinningwords for Junior Idols instead now.....

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •