The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

djandy 1711 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-18-02, 03:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail djandy Click to send private message to djandy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
The main spokemen for each tribe seemed to be Ken and Brian (mixed with some Ted) at the auction. They were the ones who decided whether or not to vote for an item, aggressively pursue a mystery item, and how high to go on each item. Does this reveal the tribes' true leaders (versus Jake and Jan the elder leaders), or were they just hungrier?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... Spidey 10-18-02 1
 RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... forehead 10-18-02 2
 RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... SurvivaBear 10-18-02 3
   RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... managerr 10-18-02 4
       RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... survivorpinoy 10-21-02 5
           RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... TechNoir 10-21-02 6
               RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... survivorpinoy 10-22-02 7
                   RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... Cin 10-22-02 8
                       Racist? Stop the #####! Wacko Jacko 10-22-02 10
                           RE: Racist? Stop the #####! Cin 10-22-02 12
                               RE: Racist? Stop the #####! Wacko Jacko 10-22-02 16
                                   RE: Racist? Stop the #####! dabo 10-22-02 21
                   Fact, huh? Wacko Jacko 10-22-02 11
                       RE: Fact, huh? survivorpinoy 10-22-02 20
                           RE: Fact, huh? Wacko Jacko 10-23-02 23
               RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... managerr 10-22-02 13
 RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... Brownroach 10-22-02 9
 Is Jake protecting Shii Ann? Krautboy 10-22-02 14
   RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann? Brownroach 10-22-02 15
       RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann? FesterFan1 10-22-02 17
           RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann? Brownroach 10-22-02 19
   RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann? FesterFan1 10-22-02 18
 RE: Were the true tribal leaders re... dabo 10-22-02 22

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-18-02, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-02 AT 04:03 PM (EST)

I think this was the first time any remaining SJ has really taken charge of anything since the HUT, that we have been shown anyway.

Maybe they designated a spokesperson so they wouldn't lose all their money on grubs. Or maybe some discussion was edited out.

But I do agree that Ken (and Jake) seem to be the "leaders" of SJ. Erin was clear in her confessional that she doesn't like Shii. Penny doesn't seem to like her either. But we KNOW Jake does, and I am pretty confident Ken does too, as Ken values "workers" over the "freakin' lazies"

Erin and Penny could have joined Robb and Steph and booted Shii out. But they didn't, so it appears that Jake and Ken do indeed have a lot of pull.

And over at CG, Brian is clearly a leader. Ted lost some of his status after "The Grind" and the rest of them are just annoying and disliked by each other. Clay doesn't like Jan, Jan and Helen don't like Clay, but everyone seems to like Brian. (especially me, YUM!)

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-18-02, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
Good observation, djandy. I noticed that too. I'm not sure how smart it is from the individual's perspective. Seems like Ken and Brian painted big "I'm the leader of the opposing tribe - take me out after the merge" targets on themselves...

Maybe EMB is getting a little smarter with his challenges in letting castaways give away more then is good for them (just like the chop-the-coconuts challenge in S4 that did the Rotu 4 in).

forehead

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-18-02, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
I think there is no question that Brian (and sometimes Ted) are the leaders in Chuay Ghan. Jan has shown a lack of leadership, Helen is too much of an outsider, and Clay IMHO is a follower.

Ken is more of a mystery. We have not had a good look into the dynamics of Sook Jai. Good catch djandy!

Beware the Bear! An IceCat Original, © 2002

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-18-02, 04:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
You could see Ken's eyemovement back and forth with Jake and the other members of his tribe though. Whereas contrast that to Brian and Ted who just seemed to speak up when they wanted to go higher. In fact, it looked like Ted made a few bids without his tribe consulting as well.

survivorpinoy 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-21-02, 11:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorpinoy Click to send private message to survivorpinoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
If it is true that Ken is SJ's leader, then Robb is the logical choice to be the next bootee. Previews show that they will have a shoutfest this week.

I really can't understand why Shii Ann could be more annoying than Robb!!!

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
-Stand By Me

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

10-21-02, 11:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
I really can't understand why Shii Ann could be more annoying than Robb!!!

Well she works and she doesn't try to kill people. Just a thought or two.

10-22-02, 01:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorpinoy Click to send private message to survivorpinoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
Precisely my point. That's why I would be totally confused if SJ will vote out Shi Ann first before Robb.

I'm asian and I do not see anything wrong with eating chicken necks. Robb is a racist (I'm not bashing him, just stating a fact.) That's why I don't think he was the despondent underdog being referred to by Jeff. Jeff, who I think is pissed off at Robb, would not categorize him as such.

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve.
Jesus, does anyone?"
-Stand By Me

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cin Click to send private message to Cin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
I'm not Asian, but my mom and dad and their families have ALWAYS eaten chicken necks and livers and hearts...... why I find them to taste gross, they love them. Isn't it a southern thing? Maybe that is why Jake and gang weren't as grossed out about the neck/heart eating.
Cin

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

10-22-02, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Racist? Stop the #####!"
LAST EDITED ON 10-22-02 AT 12:34 PM (EST)

It has nothing to do with race and everytime a person says they don't like someone and it is a minority someone always has to scream racist. Robb and the others do not like Shii because she is annoying. She is a know it all. She always knows the answer to everything and she is always right. That is what bugs them about her. Would that not bug you if you were stranded on a desert island with her? It would annoy me. The chicken thing was throwing more on top the pile already created. When Shii used the term racist she was just blind to how annoying she really is and using a lame excuse for her reasoning. STOP SCREAMING RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! geez.

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cin Click to send private message to Cin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Racist? Stop the #####!"
I wasn't implying it was about race, I'm sorry if you took my post that way. I was just stating that there are lots of people who enjoy eating that stuff.....

sorry if I offended you

Cin

10-22-02, 05:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Racist? Stop the #####!"
Hi Cin:

Actually I was replying to survivorpinoy. I didn't get that from your post at all.

survivorpinoy states that it is a fact that Robb is a racist. Fact???????????????

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Racist? Stop the #####!"
Well now, speakin fer all muh redneck backwood kinfolk, we don't see nothin wrong with eatin chicken necks and backs and organ parts, why shucks it'd be a shame ta let any of that good protein go to waste. Most of America done likewise before culture and civilization took holt and spread all over everywhere, y'know what I mean. Robbb ain't necessary a racist, he just gots culture. He's picky, too. Judgmental like. It ain't pretty but it's goshdarned American in its way.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

10-22-02, 12:30 PM (EST)
11. "Fact, huh?"
Would you bet your life on it? If not it aint a fact. It's your opinion.

10-22-02, 09:09 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Fact, huh?"
Ok. I apologize too. You're right. It was just my opinion.

My only point was that I think there are more reasons to hate (hence to vote out) Robb than Shii Ann (even Jed and Steph for that matter).

10-23-02, 04:58 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Fact, huh?"
We'll see this week.

At this point in the game with a merge likely next week Robb does seem like a more logical pick but if there were no merge and Jeb already being elimated I would pick Shii over Robb. Both are probably pretty annoying to the other survivors.

For Ken's sake he'd be smart to bring Robb along for the merge instead of Shii. Chuay will probably target a physical threat before a mental threat and with Robb gone Ken will be the first SJ target unless he wins many immunities.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

10-22-02, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
It's really Robb who is/was leading the charge against Shii Ann. There's no indication the rest of the tribe feels the same way. (Well there was Erin, but she could have just been playing the game and being a yes woman to Robbbbbb)

Shii Ann's mistake is similar to the one Kelly Goldsmith made imho. She's intelligent and isn't trying to hide it. This will definitely get on the nerves of other players, especially other potential masterminds types.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-22-02 AT 12:24 PM (EST)

I think there's definitely something to this.

When they were picking their tribemates, I believe Jake's and especially Jan's early choices were people that they subconsciously wanted to take on leadership roles, and I believe most of their later choices tuned in to this as they were fitting themselves in. Ted immediately looked like the de facto leader of Chuay Gahn -- and he was challenged right off the bat by John, who then had to be axed for not recognizing the hierarchy. Ted may have fallen from grace a bit after the Ghandia incident, so Brian is stepping up more now. Jan was never the true leader, but was probably shielded from a very early boot by implicit respect for her status as the "elder".

On Sook Jai I think Jake retained a greater degree of leadership than Jan, but he also had expectations of both Stephanie and Ken as his seconds-in-command. Interestingly, Steph did try to work hard, but she just wasn't on the same page as the majority of the tribe -- and the underlings resented her for it. But Ken is right there with Jake and crew, and probably the SJ who is most inherently respected by the others (after Jake) at this point in time.

But of course the hierarchies will unravel as the game progresses. It's already happening on CG, where Jan is now in the weakest position on the tribe.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-22-02, 05:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Is Jake protecting Shii Ann?"
I rewatched EP5 last night and while Ken was the spokesman for the Sook Jai, he would glance over at Jake from time to time for approval. Jake was smart enough to realize that appearing to be the leader at a challenge is not a good thing with the merge a few episodea away. Ken is competitive and enjoyed the process and Jake let him...

The other scene that struck me as interesting was the conversation between Jake and Shii Ann. Jake was the calm leader of the tribe consoling Shii Ann...it was almost like he was saying don't worry I'll protect you. The confidence he showed was that of a leader who had some say in how the tribe votes...

While Erin and Robb may have commented about their dislike for Shii Ann, Robb has no say in how the voting goes and Erin probably has no choice but to go along with Jake and the alliance.

Jake likes Shii Ann, Jake is the Leader, and Jake will probably continue to protect Shii Ann in EP6...

Krautboy

10-22-02, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann?"
>>Jake likes Shii Ann, Jake is the Leader, and Jake will probably continue to protect Shii Ann in EP6...<<

I think you're right, Krautboy. And I've been wondering if Jake/Shii Ann is the secret alliance that will become paranoid this week. Perhaps a Shii Ann boot was seriously discussed by Erin, Penny, Ken and Jake last week, and it was Jake who hemmed and hawed and finally convinced them to vote for Stephanie. If he pushed too hard to keep Shii Ann around, it might have set off some alarm bells, and Jake may start feeling worried.

I do think the secret alliance will be a pair of people in the Hut Quintet. We have to start seeing more of Jake, Ken, Erin and Penny SOON, don't we? They can't all four remain invisible much longer.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-22-02 AT 05:52 PM (EST)

I think you're right, Krautboy. And I've been wondering if Jake/Shii Ann is the secret alliance that will become paranoid this week.

Possible, but I still think Jake is in tighter with Penny. Jake's comforting of Shii Ann last week struck me more as strategy than an actual alliance. IMO, that was more of a subtle check to make sure Shii was still in the hut camp. Jake likely was thinking about the merge and is probably the only one in SJ with an inkling that Shii's fringe status may come back and bite them.

Perhaps a Shii Ann boot was seriously discussed by Erin, Penny, Ken and Jake last week, and it was Jake who hemmed and hawed and finally convinced them to vote for Stephanie.

I seriously doubt this. It's been illustrated quite clearly, both in editing and post-boot comments by Jed and Steph, that there was a "Great Divide" within SJ. They really alienated themselves from shelter-dwellers, Shii Ann among them. Now there obviously is a pecking order within the Shelter Alliance, but there was no way Shii was going to go before Stephanie (I only wish I had stayed true to that initial impression in making my pick last week). The comments directed at Stephanie during the voting portion of TC only buttress this point. Sure Shii's not the most popular person in the SJ 5, but I still contend that there's no way Ken, Penny, and Jake want any part of Robb making the merge.

If he pushed too hard to keep Shii Ann around, it might have set off some alarm bells, and Jake may start feeling worried.

Well, he might be worried that Erin likes Robb more than Shii, and that she will try to talk Ken and Penny into keeping Robb over her, but that's not likely to happen.

Again, this "secret alliance" very well could be a subdivision of the SJ 5, but it's likely more hype than anything else. Honestly, when was the last time we got some decent spoiling info off of the misdirection?

Fester

10-22-02, 06:22 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann?"
Your take on this makes sense, Fester. Shii Ann doesn't really fit into a twosome with anyone -- I even said this last Thursday as I picked her to get the boot!

The most likely SJ pairs would be Jake/Penny; Jake/Ken; Penny/Erin; or Ken/Erin. Penny/Ken and Jake/Erin seem less likely to me. Shii Ann/Jake....pretty remote. Shii Ann with anyone else...no. Robb with anyone: NO.

We'll probably find out that the secret alliance is just Ted and Brian, already revealed to us last week. This show is just too boring to be putting this much thought into...

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Is Jake protecting Shii Ann?"
I don't think Jake is "protecting" Shii Ann so much as he's trying to get her back on the team. I think that he's looking toward the merge and a possible deadlock with CG. The last thing they want is for Shii to feel alienated enough to consider "Sleeping With the Enemy". It sounded to me like that was his motive.

I'm sure he's well aware that Shii doesn't care for anyone in her tribe. As long as Robb is around, he'll get the brunt of her disdain. Once he's gone, however...

Fester

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-02, 09:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Were the true tribal leaders revealed at the auction?"
You are probably correct that Ken and Brian probably appeared (to the opposing tribes) to be the "leaders" during the auction. Brian was probably being perceived that way by the Sook Jai anyway, but Ken may have painted a bull's-eye on himself with his performance.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •