The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Rikker Mortis 51 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

07-27-03, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rikker%20Mortis Click to send private message to Rikker%20Mortis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
I took the advice of another poster and took it a bit further by downloading about 80% or so of the songs performed so far. I think everyone needs to do something like this to really "hear" the singers. Most people, whether they realize it or not, myself included, focus on the performance or attitude or cuteness instead of straight singing. I think there are some VAST differences in who SHOULD be in the Top 10 as opposed to who is in the Top 10.
First off, and remember, this is based on SINGING ABILITY since this is audio only, which truly is how it should have been judged in the first place.
10th BEST - JORDAN MCCOY (Granted i had to really grab for a 10th place and several could have taken it, Jordan isnt as bad as some of the others i.e. Kara Lieberman, AJ Melendez, Lauren Klena, etc.)
9th BEST - KRISTIANA DEBARGE (Does anyone even remember her? If not go check out the download of "Reflection". She should have advanced)
8th BEST - CHAUNCEY MATTHEWS (The top boy of the contest although a friend of mine likes Quinten Caruthers better. She might be right but since theres more Chauncey songs to go with, it gives you more to judge by. Does he deserve to be in the band? No, he doesnt. Is he good? Well, he's not terrible.)
7th BEST - KATELYN TARVER - (Really coming on strong lately but unfortunately i think its too little too late)
6th BEST - TORI THOMPSON - (Really only sang one good song and thats "Let It Rip" but she sure nailed it. The more charismatic sister so therefore she got the most attention. She's a bit overrated though.)
5th BEST - TAYLOR THOMPSON - (In basic singing, Taylor is better than Tori. Yes, Taylor belongs in the group which a lot of Taylor haters disagree with but she IS a good singer. Not great, but very good.)
4th BEST - CHANTEL KOHL - (Started out really, really strong in the auditions. "Open Arms" was awesome and should have automatically been enough for a spot. Unfortunately, each week Chantel has kinda lost momentum hence the somewhat low rating of number 4.)
3rd BEST - LUCY HALE - (Pure power in that voice, but can she sing anything except power ballads? Even if she cant, what she can do more than makes up for any shortcomings. Lucy is awesome.)
2nd BEST - GRACE LEER - (This, so far, has been the biggest "BULL*#&%" moment of the show. In no way, shape or form should Grace lost out to Chauncey on that first semifinal. Anyone who doubts this, go download "To Sir With Love" and compare that to ANY Chauncey performance VOCAL wise. You cant, because Grace just outclasses and outsings not only Chauncey but pretty much everyone else. This was a travesty and the single reason why this show needed a wildcard show like American Idol does. Horrible, horrible thing here.)
BEST - DANIELLE WHITE (IS there any doubt about this one? Even "The Locomotion" which, i admit, i panned because of her performance was a bad call on my part. If you take away the dancing and head bobbing and just listen to her sing, she's still Dani and that makes her the best one out there, bar none. The fact that she has NEVER made it to the Top 3 shows the stupidity and/or narrow thinking of shallow minded voters. She wont make the group but that wont surprise me since neither will Grace, Lucy or Katelyn but those 4 right there blow away any of the 4 that do make the group.)
Any comments?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-27-03 1
 RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... RUTGERSpaul 07-28-03 2
   RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 3
       RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-28-03 4
           RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 5
               RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-28-03 6
                   RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 7
                       RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-28-03 8
                           RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 9
                               RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-28-03 10
                                   Top 20 Performances Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 12
   RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Artcurus 07-28-03 11
       RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... Rikker Mortis 07-28-03 13
           RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... RUTGERSpaul 07-29-03 14
               RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO ... spinningwords 08-02-03 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Artcurus 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-27-03, 06:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Artcurus Click to send private message to Artcurus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Rikker,

The sisters aside (go back and read my post earlier,), I sort of agree with you as I go back through the tapes. There's been a lot of inconsistency between performances, and God Bless, I wish they would get the hell away from 60's and 70's. Enough already.
One thing I know, if the kid doesnt LIKE the song, it can show and affect the performance. I truly believe this is what may be happening.

Song choice is EVERYTHING and that's where Tori nailed it.

I havent been impressed with ANY of the so called "harmony" so far, I dont know if they just havent worked on it or what the issue is.

A HUGE issue with Tori, granted I am happy she got in the group, but it would been nice to have three more performances from her.However, I noticed a comment on the results show last Wed. that "Tori and Taylor are building a catalog of original music" which really makes me wonder...

Art

RUTGERSpaul 169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-28-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RUTGERSpaul Click to send private message to RUTGERSpaul Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Can't say I don't disagree with you too much... but I'm starting to wonder if maybe they might have been able to create the group with a different time table than EVERY week. Because Taylor got in with a great rendition of "Proud Mary", but we really haven't seen much else since the semifinals. And now with Chantel, she's showing a lot of inconsistency, and who knows if she'll keep up this 2nd place slot she's already found herself in twice.

The contestants from Week 1 were BIG surprises. I think most of the people I expected in the Final 10 were left behind. Grace Leer, Kristinia Debarge, and I had a soft spot for the kid slike Julie Dubela and Tyler Foehr, the way I always root for Jordan McCoy. But Kristinia and Grace definitely should have moved on.

Week 2 might have been a bit more predictable. Looking over the group, I don't think expected the remaining 5 into the group. I think Group 2 seemed a lot more nervous than Group 1.

And honestly, I really don't mind the Thompsons in the group, and I think we all kind of assumed it would happen, for whatever reason. Chauncey really came as a shock. I mean I knew he would get tons of votes, and his last two performances were really good, but I have just never been a fan. But like I said before, Chauncey has that "10-year old little cousin who sings at Christmas" appeal.

I personally think a group comprised of Danielle White, Chantel Kohl, Jordan McCoy, Lucy Hale, and Katelyn Tarver might come off pretty good.

But it's upsetting thinking that there's only two spots left, and Chantel, Lucy, and Danielle are still not in the group.

07-28-03, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rikker%20Mortis Click to send private message to Rikker%20Mortis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
and the scary part is you just KNOW, with the teenybopper girls running out of people to vote for that A.J. is one of the final 2 slots which pretty much kills any class the group might have had but with the 3 in there, that was a longshot to begin with.

07-28-03, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Artcurus Click to send private message to Artcurus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Hi Rikker,

EXACTLY. Again I am not thrashing kids/performances, but AJ just hasnt cut it.
The best chance for ANY possible acceptance in mainstream radio (logic being mainstream radio is pretty much "it") is for the older girls and the sisters to go shopping for a radio friendly country song.
Danielle's voice is not quite as strong as the other two correction three, but out of who's left, my vote goes with her. Easier to mix a harmony if they EVER get that right.

Also ask yourself this. Out of whose left, Who could handle Ms. Independent? sung EXACTLY, TO THE NOTE, as Kelly Clarkson did.

07-28-03, 11:58 AM (EST)
5. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Well, i'd love to see Lucy take a crack at that song.

07-28-03, 12:09 PM (EST)
6. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Hi Rikker,

Speak of the devil, Lucy showed up on the tape I am listening to as I work on my reel to reel unit.
I think I agree with you. I think she could handle Ms. Independent, but in your opinion, should she be in the group or go solo?

As someone stated on a different board, the three in the group already ARE KIDS. Lucy looks more like a teenager.

Art

07-28-03, 12:21 PM (EST)
7. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-03 AT 12:23 PM (EST)

Which brings up an earlier point where i believe the ones who DONT make the group will have better success because, conceivably they will be allowed to do their own stuff in accordance to their likes and dislikes. Lucy, Chantel, Danielle...way WAY better as soloists than in a group setting. This group is earmarked for disaster. First off you have the Sisters who, especially Tori, has a knack for country-ish pop music. Add Chauncey to that...as delicate as i can say it, he doesnt appear to be much of a country music fan. IF you DO throw
Lucy or Chantel into that mix youre adding a classic power voice in, if you add Katelyn or Jordan youre adding bubblegum pop. And of course....and most people know i cant go a whole post without getting my shots in, so here ya go....if you add A.J. or Morgan to it you're adding pure garbage. Ba-Dum-Bum...But what im trying to say is you throw all those mixtures into a group as well as basically being told what to sing and how to sing it by producers...it cant end well. Granted, even though this whole show has been an exercise in futility thats rendered me P.O.'d by whats happened, if Chantel, Dani or Lucy dont make it in, i will be even madder, but the fact remains, they will be better off by themselves or to add another element, how about a Power Ballad Trio of those 3? Now, thats an exciting proposition and personally i think that would be 100 times better than this mish mosh theyre putting together.

07-28-03, 12:42 PM (EST)
8. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Hi Rikker,

Well aside from the fact that another board is being stalked by a Morgan lover, including me...He's gone flat several times and this girl just doesnt get it. A.J. is the same way, he's gone flat.
I quote myself here.

"Tori and Taylor are building a catalog of original music.."

On the others, IF they cant get the harmony right, it aint gonna fly. Period.

I agree with you on Chauncey, but still the question remains. Is Chauncey radio viable when compared to Dani, Lucy, Tori, and Taylor?

There's nothing wrong with his voice but My vote is "no".

Art

07-28-03, 04:41 PM (EST)
9. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
I put together a 44 song CD of the best stuff so far (well, actually a whole LOT of it is filler. When you're dealing with songs that run 1:20 you find out a lot of it is needed to fill a CD. So i tried to put the filler at the beginning (Julie Dubela, Alex Catalani, Kara Lieberman, etc.) working up to the best stuff. While i could make a Top 10 Song list if not a Top 20 List from the CD, what would you say have been the best performances from Auditions thru this week?

07-28-03, 05:24 PM (EST)
10. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Hi Rikker,

Honestly I havent had a chance to mp3 all the performances from AI Jr yet. I have been too busy with past episodes of Star Search and concentrating on Tori and Taylor as time allows. This summer has been hell on wheels and havent had the chance to actually sit down and work on getting these performances to CD. I will say this, for consistency as I go back through the tapes, Chauncey has done pretty well, along with little we saw of the Thompsons.

I have over 200 performances by child singers. My cut off age was 12. My basis for comparison? A performance by a 10 year old, Cree Carrison, doing "On Broken Wings", for her age, this girl could run circles around Kelly Clarkson, and the pwr/range to match.

So far my favorites, and what I think are the better ones in no particular order.

The Thompson Sisters
Open Arms
Moon River
The Locomotoin

These are the ones that seem to stand out.

Now getting away from AIJR.

Cree Carrison
Ashelie V-(Star Search) I Wanna To Love You Forever (9 year Old)This was INCREDIBLE
Alex-(9 year old-Star Search) Skater Boy (OMG, this one was just plain fun!)
Joanna Wyatt-(around 10 years old, Mini Pops- Album-We're The Mini Pops/1984) Kids In America, really smooth, even performance.

The Mini Pops were an 80's phenomenmon, covering popular tunes from the time and are in a class of their own,8 albums worth. But like you, I'll be culling the better performances and making a CD from all the performances Star Search, America's Most Talented Kid, and AI Jr.

Oh and for a point of reference, I still have 7 minutes to go for one full cd with 50 performances.

Art

07-28-03, 05:55 PM (EST)
12. "Top 20 Performances"
20 - Proud Mary (Taylor Thompson) - One of the few performances where you can see they actually enjoy the song they're doing.
19 - Get Here (Lucy Hale) - One of the "lesser" Lucy numbers, but it's still Lucy which automatically makes it good. BEst part of the song is Lusy in her deep robust voice belting her heart out followed by a mousy-twang voice of "thank you" at the end. Adorable.
18 - We've Only Just Begun (Katelyn Tarver) - Rather panned version of the song but i thought Katelyn did a very decent job on it.
17 - Sealed With A Kiss (Jordan McCoy) - I don't think there's a more "fun" performer up there than Jordan McCoy. She likes what she's doing.
16 - Power Of Love (Chantel Kohl) - Chantel at her absolute best. No music and WAY too short but still deserving of a spot. The original "spine tingler" from the show. Too bad she seems to be losing steam with each subsequent performance. If this was a full song, or at least a A.J. version (1:20) of a full song, this would be a Top 10 easily.
15 - Let 'Er Rip (Tori Thompson) - Another case, like Taylor & Chantel above where the performer does their best with a song they seemingly like. Tori at her best right here.
14 - Reflection (Kristinia DeBarge) - She fits in the Lucy-Chantel-Danielle-Grace power ballad singer style. At least i think she does since America was stupid and didnt advance her past the semi's.
13 - I Love You More Today Than Yesterday (Jordan McCoy) - Jorda is one of the few performers, if not the only one with the possible expection being Lucy, who seems to like her choices and puts her all into it.
12 - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Lucy Hale) - I think this is Lucy's best performance right here but the thing about Lucy is she has been consistently great no matter what.
11 - Make It Easy On Yourself (Lucy Hale) - The above song was her best consistent song but the opening of this sends chills th way Lucy nails it.
10 - Stupid Cupid (Jordan McCoy) - Come on..who can resist that glass crunching shriek in this song. Jordan at her most fun.
9 - Bring The House Down (Taylor & Tori Thompson) - Yeah, i know, what was i smoking when i admitted to liking this song. I dunno. It's just catchy, i guess.
8 - Open Arms (Chantel Kohl) - Chantel's on a role at this point. Power, power and more power plus Daddy bawling his eyes out with pride. Gotta love it.
7 - You Make Me So Very Happy (Chantel Kohl) - Best Chantel song. Unfortunately it was also where things started going downhill afterwards. She should have been in the group already at this point.
6 - Close To You (Danielle White) - Ah, the first appearance of the mighty Danielle on this list. IT was hard to say "ok, now which Dani song is her worst".
5 - Colors Of The Wind (Danielle White) - First exposure to Danielle yieled this gem. Should have automatically been given a bye into the group (yeah, i know, but come on...who's been more consistently great than Dani?)
4 - Tell Him (Katelyn Tarver) - Katelyn is REALLY picking um steam now. Hope she doesnt blow it, but sadly i dont think it really matters.
3 - The Locomotion (Danielle White) - Yeah, Dani pretty much has a monopoly of the Top 10. She'll probably have more when the show is all over since im sure she'll have 2 more songs to add. Goofy dance and bobbing head aside, she rules.
2 - Good Morning Starshine (Danielle White) - How many 11 year olds or however old she is can handle the ridiculously stupid lyrics of that song and make them sound graceful?
1 - To Sir With Love (Grace Leer) - From the semifinals to now, this STILL gives me chills. Her website said she's recording some songs to put on the site in mp3 format. I can hardly wait.

07-28-03, 05:46 PM (EST)
11. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
Hi Rutger,

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you on this.

>Can't say I don't disagree with you too much... but I'm >starting to wonder if maybe they might have been able to create >the group with a different time table than EVERY week.

Oh HELL YEAH! I agree totally here, and the fact there is no wildcard really hurts. When looking at how long the normal AI runs. It's limiting also because of THE FREAKING SONG CHOICES. The best way to explain this? I would have KILLED to see Tori to do an 80's song (I believe the next show is 80s).

Look at this way. Tori and Taylor's fans are now coasting without another performance (solo) from them, and I dont think that's right.

> she's showing a lot of inconsistency, and who knows if she'll >keep up this 2nd place slot she's already found herself in >twice.

See my first post, the REAL LONG one. It goes into detail about what I think may be happening.

>And honestly, I really don't mind the Thompsons in the group, >and I think we all kind of assumed it would happen, for >whatever reason. Chauncey really came as a shock. I mean I knew >he would get tons of votes, and his last two performances were >really good, but I have just never been a fan. But like I said >before, Chauncey has that "10-year old little cousin who sings >at Christmas" appeal.

Yes and no. As I was telling Rigger, as I go back trhough the tapes, he's been fairly consistent. I sort of agree that he should be in the group because he actually IS A KID, not someone that looks like a teenager. Read my other post about this matter.

>But it's upsetting thinking that there's only two spots left, >and Chantel, Lucy, and Danielle are still not in the group.

I agree with on you about Talent, Unfortunately, my prediction is that AJ is going to be the next member.

Art

07-28-03, 05:57 PM (EST)
13. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
How about having ALL 10 of them perform for the 10 weeks or 5 weeks or whatever they want to do but have the final 5 be a CUMULATIVE count of ALL votes from ALL shows?

RUTGERSpaul 169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-29-03, 11:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RUTGERSpaul Click to send private message to RUTGERSpaul Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
That's what I was thinking. The way they picked them from the semifinals. Pick the Top 5 vote getters into the group. (Something tells me Chauncey would still make it! LoL)

spinningwords 96 desperate attention whore postings

08-02-03, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail spinningwords Click to send private message to spinningwords Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: AMERICAN JUNIORS EVALUATION SO FAR"
>That's what I was thinking.
>The way they picked them
>from the semifinals. Pick
>the Top 5 vote getters
>into the group. (Something
>tells me Chauncey would still
>make it! LoL)

That's the best idea I've heard all week. I posted a very long discourse on how I felt about this issue and I think you two have nailed it. Are the judges and producers reading these boards.... I sure hope so.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •