The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-24-02, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
LAST EDITED ON 09-24-02 AT 12:56 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 09-24-02 AT 12:54 PM (EST)

Something has been bothering me since last week's episode and I wanted to put it out there for discussion. My thought process is slightly askew due to the fact that I'm completely stressed out in R/L. Please entertain me.

Is anyone else getting the impression that S5 is Africa reduex? I certainly see shades of old Boran and can easily compare several castaways from S3 to the castaways on S5, even the strategies are uncomfortably similar. We have an obvious division based upon age, did we not witness the same in S3 when it was the mallrats -vs- OB? We have a potential for a Jessie mercy vote in Tanya. We have Chewies taking an ass whipping in IC and the Sookies are on a path of self destruction (ala mallrats). It just too coincedental, too neatly packaged, too obvious.

Comparison
Ethan = Ted (athelete, easy going, encouraging person)
Lex = Brian (a schemer and rather manipulative)
Big Tom = Clay (this is a stretch but consider that Big Tom and Little Clay both considered diamonds in the rough)
Mamma Kim - Jan (Jan is Mamma Kim on Androgen but she has the same heart for her tribe, is a teacher and is nurturing)

Some statements hit me like a brick in Ep.1

1. Don't judge a book by it's cover.It's all about the love and if you have that it's all good.

2. I'm the smallest and oldest one on the tribe but what they don't know is that they got a diamond in the rough.

3. Don't mess with the She devil or you'll get the horns.

4. I don't know what Jan was thinking when she picked.

5. Here in Thailand, ELDERS are revered.

Just the thoughts and ramblings of a mad woman, but you have to admit the way things are shaping up is eeriely similar to S3. With all the hype about new challenges etc. it would be perfect irony for S5 to be a reduex of S3 (just add water). I don't think that could happen but I smell something very fishy in the neat, compact, perfectly perfect way things are shaping on S5. Perhaps someone out there who has gotten more sleep can shed some light on this.

Retorts, rebuttals, kudos and CASH gladly accepted!!!!

Snoocharoo

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex dabo 09-26-02 1
   RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex snoocharoo 09-26-02 2
   Erin's contribution ZJ 09-27-02 5
 RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex SurvivinDawg 09-27-02 3
   RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex Loree 09-27-02 4
   RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex ulalame 09-27-02 6
       RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex snoocharoo 09-27-02 7
   RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex toddE 09-27-02 8
       RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex managerr 09-27-02 9
           RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex ivoryElephant 09-27-02 10
               RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex ZJ 09-27-02 11
                   RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex BMH 09-27-02 12
                       RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex ZJ 09-28-02 13
                       RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex SurvivinDawg 10-02-02 15
                           RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex BMH 10-02-02 17
       RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex Loree 10-01-02 14
           RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex mizpokey 10-02-02 16
           RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex NorthOfBoston 10-04-02 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-26-02, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
LOL. Um... snooch... where are we supposed to put the tips?

Yes, there is a similarity to S3, but the age division here isn't within a tribe as in Africa, it is "old tribe" vs. "young tribe." When (if) the switch happens I am expecting things to get interesting in this regard. (If no switch then at the merge.)

I also thought Erin's confessional could be foreshadowing: (paraphrased) I can't believe it, I'm last, hey c'mon,! I have so much to contribute to this tribe! That was humbling, I probably needed that.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

09-26-02, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
"where do i put the tips?"

Under the daisey silly....

Actually, since I was cruising around the web I've had a chance to think about things and have changed my thoughts on this however,I am still wondering how the theme of "not judging a book by it's cover" comes into play. I still feel something not sitting right with me, perhaps it's the curry chicken and samosa's I had at lunch.

Snoocharoo

ZJ 137 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-27-02, 01:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ZJ Click to send private message to ZJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Erin's contribution"
I think she contributed alot to SJ, esp in the challenges...

Her slip in the IC was exceptionally hilarious!

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-02, 07:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
After watching Episode 2 of S-5, I was having exactly these same thoughts.

One reason a lot of people hated Survivor III so badly was that the players weren't surviving... they were suffering in that dull, brown desert of Africa.

The S-5 contestants are in the monsoon season... constant rain. And it seems to me that they're suffering, not just surviving.

And, beyond what's already discussed about player comparisons: The S-3 people were extremely dislike-able. I almost stopped watching S-3 because I simply couldn't stand to see the MallRats (Lindsey, Silas, Brandon and LilBitKim). I also couldn't stand MamaKim and Lex.

I'm starting to feel the same way about S-5: I am developing an extreme dislike for Ghandia (and that was BEFORE the previews for Ep. 3 ). BigRedChewingGum tribe is painful to watch as they are soundly defeated in the challenges, get lost looking for water, and you can hear poor Jan's bones creaking and popping every time she moves. The Purple People have the "new" MallRats (Stephanie, Robb, Jed), who are totally out of their freakin' gourds.

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-02, 01:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I am getting worried that they will vote off the few interesting and likeable people right away and we will be left with the unlikeable boring ones. I don't know if MB is trying to hide the personalities of some of the people for some grand surprise or they are just that boring. That was one of the problems with the African edition. I just didn't care or like most of the players.

ulalame 778 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-27-02, 01:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ulalame Click to send private message to ulalame Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
In addition to the climate, another reason that Africa sucked big time is that EPM did everything possible to conceal true alliances and misdirect in editing, etc. We never really got to see any of the alliance discussions, and we missed out on the catty backscratching, strategizing, etc. which makes spoiling the game so much fun. If you recall, S3 was probably the Survivor with the most unpredictable boots ever, which made it much less fun to watch. I don't think the cast was all that bad, I just think they were edited to conceal much of the interesting stuff they said and did.

With S4, Marky-Mark returned to earlier editing styles, with some classic misdirection, but also with enough hints that the spoiling community had something to go on. I feel like with S5, he is making the same mistakes as he did with S3 in terms of concealing nacient alliances and editing out important parts of the strategic game play. I do think with S5 we have been given a little more to go on than we did in S3, but not much. I hope EMP wises up and realizes that concealing too much is just as bad as giving too much away, though.

09-27-02, 02:58 PM (EST)
7. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I agree and disagree...to a point.

Africa was grueling to those people, they suffered terribly and long-term, MB did not do his homework before deciding on Africa and by doing so shot himself in the foot. There was no way to make anyone look particularly good under those conditions. MB was forced to edit that way because I think by the time they got to the end Ethan, Big T, Lex and Mamma were half dead and too sick to be interesting. Perhaps the biggest Gufu of all was Survivor Africa, no water = no ratings.

I disagree he hid alliances in three, we KNEW Lex, Big Tom and Ethan were in the alliance. Mamma Kim was easy to spoil because she was UTR. We saw the "MallRats" and early on and even from the start you could tell Frank and Teresa were tight. As the dynamic changed the alliances adjusted.

Alliances in Thailand are starting to emerge. Ted, Jan, Brian, and Clay have voted in a block twice. I think that implies something is going on there.

Snoocharoo

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-27-02, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I'd like to echo everything Dawg said, except that I really liked the Mallrats. At least, I did up until Brandon's climactic betrayal to side with Ledevil).

I was worried about the boring effects of bad weather from the moment I heard "during the monsoon season" for the first time.

As much as I love Survivor, if the final dominant alliance is Brian-Clay-Ted-Jan, I don't know if I could bring myself to watch. Does that mean Ted will defeat Jan at final TC?

Bring on the switch! Hopefully it will come in Ep 4 after bidding adieu to Ghandia this week. The only bad thing about a Ghandia boot is that the next couple weeks will be predictable as Robb and Shii Ann bite the dust.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

09-27-02, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
If I had to predict an ending now, I predict the Chuay Guang survivors team up with the minority alliance in Sook Jai to overthrow the ruling Sook Jai group. (Most likely Jake-Ken-Shii-Erin-Penny)

There seems to be major weight loss among the CG men, and we have conflicting reports that Jake and many of the Sook Jai women don't make the jury. It will kind of be like the S4 storyline I'm g uessing.

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-27-02, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
Well, something has too happen soon or it will be 8-2 at the merge.
And the most UTR person will win, so far Ken, Penny and Erin are the most UTR.
If Helen or Clay get booted before the merge I will stop watching
"you can never escape, you can only move north up the coast"
-congratulations to Clay Jordan, the winner of survivor Thailand-

09-27-02, 10:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ZJ Click to send private message to ZJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I think it would be very interesting if a tribe actually goes into a merge 8-2 over the other. It would be interesting to see how they actually vote each other out...

Look at Ken, Erin, Penny and Jake... They look so close now but who knows what would happen if they make it to the final 4/5?

Even in S2, it was pretty clear that the Ogakor tribe would get rid of Jerry and Amber in that order, I think I was the most surprised person in the world to see Colby vote out Keith(what was he thinking? A friendship over a million? If Tina was a true friend, she wouldn't have minded Colby voting her out, after all Colby earned it with his run in ICs)

In S3, it was pretty obvious that Final 4 would get rid of Kim J and Tom in the order until old Kim decided she wanted to win immunity...

In S4, I was actually looking forward to how the Rotu 4 would vote each other out had they reach the Final 4. Similarly if Rob M, Sarah, Vecepia and Sean had made it to the final 4, it would have been interesting... Because they had bonded and kept an alliance it would be interesting to see how they would vote each other in the Final 4... pity we dont get to see that though...

BMH 845 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-02, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BMH Click to send private message to BMH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
Interesting thoughts ZJ..I'll give you some insight into S2 and S4

S2~~
The only reason Jerri went when she did was because Nick won immunity that week..and the Ogakor alliance couldn't vote him out..and then T/C/K realized they just couldn't vote out Liz or Rodger so there only other option was to get rid of the girl they all hated anyways...but you are right nto including immunity..if Nick had not won immunity on day 27 most likely the final 5 would have been Tina,Keith,Colby,Jerri,and Amber (this is as long as Jerri didn't piss anyone off for 9 days-which is highly unlikely lol)and Jerri and Amber would have been voted off in that order..and the T/C/K alliance would still go to the final 3

S4~~
I think John stated somewhere that if himself,Tammy,The General,and Zoe made the final 4..He was pretty confident in saying that the general,himself,and Tammy would have gotten rid of Zoe..and then him and Tammy would have voted off the general..and would then had Tammy and himself as the final 2..and let the jury decide..of course this plan cant be certain..with the immunity option

Vee did a recent interview for a survivor site..It might have been REality Online or something..and they asked her who intiated her alliance with R/S/Sa she said her main goal was to get rid of Hunter first..and Rob and Sean had a good bond already and Rob wanted to bring Sarah in on a alliance with Sean and himself---however Sean wanted to get Vee in on the alliance with himself and Rob..so they all decided to work together and the Sarah,Vee,Sean,Rob alliance was born..If they would have made the final four it would have been very interesting!..Either Sarah would go first or it would be Rob and Sarah voting for Vee to go..and Sean and Vee voting for Sarah to go..so Sarah would go anyways..and then Vee,Sean,and Rob would batte it out..we could have possibly had a african-american final 2..of course that is a long shot but just observation on my part

Just thought I would give a little insight..cuz I also thought alot about What If scenarios where 4-person allainces would actually make the final 4

Ok back on topic

09-28-02, 00:05 AM (EST)
13. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
Same thoughts...
Actually most of the time, the real alliances dont make it to the final 4, we exclude the Tagi 4 because obviously it was the first and many did not know how to play the game.
But u echoed my pt in which if 4 pple who were very close actually made it to the final 4, it would be interesting to see how the dynamics work

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-02, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
The only reason Jerri went when she did was because Nick won immunity that week..and the Ogakor alliance couldn't vote him out..and then T/C/K realized they just couldn't vote out Liz or Rodger so there only other option was to get rid of the girl they all hated anyways

I disagree with this, and I'll tell you why. If Nick had not won IC, he would've been voted out, then Jerri the very next TC. As it was, since Nick won IC, Keith (and, IMHO, Tina) convinced Colby to go ahead and kick out Jerri. But make no mistake about it: Jerri was gone THE MOMENT it was safe to wax her. She would not have made any Final 5 unless she had won immunity every single time.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

BMH 845 desperate attention whore postings

10-02-02, 07:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BMH Click to send private message to BMH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I somewhat agree with you Survivordawg..BUT..what I am basing my logic on was that I remember Colby saying to Tina and Keith after the immunity challenge that he wanted Lis out day 27..and then to just let things go the way they were going(gettin rid of kucha)..and then get rid of Jerri at the final 5..that is the way I interperted their conversation..oh so long ago..as always JMO..but I do somewhat agree with you..because Jerri seemed to piss off people on a daily basis..and it would be easily understandable to get rid of her as soon as it was safe too..Even though Jerri is in fact my fav S2 contestant

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-02, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
Jan seems to be playing the MamaKim role. She has joined up with the guys and even though she is very weak she is in the voting alliance and saving herself. When really she was the one who picked the older & weak team. She is the reason they are losing. I hope there is a switch soon to shake things up. I don't want to see this continue.

mizpokey 19 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-02-02, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mizpokey Click to send private message to mizpokey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I realize there is a big age difference between the two teams but I don't see the older team being that much weaker. I mean, they were ahead in ep 1 until Ghandia couldn't figure out the puzzle, no age factor there, and in the flower comp they were right in there. and had Jan not taken so long they probably would have won from what I could tell. So I don't necessarily think they are weaker and expect a turn around coming up. The youngens are definitely strong but they are so arogant they have to screw up soon. So I wouldn't count out the "old geezers" just yet!!!

NorthOfBoston 158 desperate attention whore postings

10-04-02, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NorthOfBoston Click to send private message to NorthOfBoston Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: S5 Out of Africa - Reduex"
I said it before and I'll say it again; Jan picked a "weaker" team so that she would not be in great contrast and thus eyed for booting (ala S4 Pat). In other words, surround yourself with losers, and you don't seem like such a loser. That was part one of her scheme. Part two is the UTR; she rarely speaks unless it's a "Uh-huh" or is smiling idiotically at someone's joke. Part three is her "Vee-Attack," aka silently swinging her alliance wherever it appears to be most helpful at the time. She listened patiently to Ghandia, but if the ruling majority is Ted-Clay-Brian, she will hop ship quietly and vote with the men. If she makes it to the merge (God help us), she will coast along on her Vee-board, as she is not a threat or particularly annoying (to her teammates, anyway).

WHY AREN'T HER TEAMMATES SEEING THIS STRATEGY??? This is more annoying than seeing MamaKim make it to the final four (nevermind the final two).

ps: RE: above comparison, I don't think Shi Ann is the Lindsey; she's more of a Tammy if you ask me. I think Stephanie will become the Lindsey if she doesn't shut her mouth about the lack of food soon. *OR* Ghandi is the Lindsey (DRAMA, anyone?!).

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •