The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-23-02, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "

This whole gold and silver torch thing is bugging me -- you know it's not like Burnett ran out of gold paint or whatever, there probably is a reason of some kind for this.

...I'm wondering if it might not turn out to be that the torch colors will determine which tribe you end up on after the Switch (assuming there is a switch this season.)

I can picture it now... Jiffy blabbering away about how you determined your own fate with your selection at your first TC... blah blah blah -- and after last season's unbalanced tribes, I don't think that they'd be too worried about having all silver folks have been voted out and therefore cuasing the tribes to be extra unbalanced.

-SB

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Torch colors to determine the S... TechNoir 09-23-02 1
 RE: Torch colors to determine the S... I_AM_HE 09-24-02 2
   RE: Torch colors to determine the S... Draco Malfoy 09-24-02 3
       RE: Torch colors to determine the S... SurvivinDawg 09-24-02 5
           RE: Torch colors to determine the S... Draco Malfoy 09-24-02 6
       RE: Torch colors to determine the S... AndreaJD2B 09-24-02 13
 RE: Torch colors to determine the S... SurvivinDawg 09-24-02 4
   RE: Torch colors to determine the S... Draco Malfoy 09-24-02 7
       RE: Torch colors to determine the S... Loree 09-24-02 12
 RE: Torch colors to determine the S... NTK 09-24-02 8
   RE: Torch colors to determine the S... Draco Malfoy 09-24-02 9
       RE: Torch colors to determine the S... SurvivinDawg 09-24-02 10
       RE: Torch colors to determine the S... SurvivorBlows 09-24-02 11
           RE: Torch colors to determine the S... ShowMeTheWinner 09-24-02 16
 RE: Torch colors to determine the S... AZ_Leo 09-24-02 14
   RE: Torch colors to determine the S... SurvivorBlows 09-24-02 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

09-23-02, 09:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
I always thought that one of EPM's big errors (Gufu?) was NOT evening out the numbers during the switch last time. All he has to do is wait until the teams are reasonably unbalanced and just provide half of one and half of the other (buffs, torches, whatever he uses to randomize). And there is no reason he has to have the "switch" calculated at the begining of the season. He can play it by ear, and decide on timing depending on how out of whack things get.

I still think the "switch" is just cheap manipulation. EPM is capable of much less obvious manipulation, for which he has my admiration. I think he should use that skill.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-02, 02:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
that's a very interesting idea Webby!

one question: are we sure there is going to be a switch this season? it would be just like MB to have them expecting one and then do the opposite.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-02, 07:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
I kinda agree here. MB's motto seems to be "Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions." In both S3 and S4, a switch seemed necessary to keep the game semi-competitive. In S3, the Mallrats were threatening to consume the old farts, and in S4, Maraamuu was dying a slow painful tedious death. If this time around, the tribes aren't self-destructing, I wonder if they'll bother.

If there is a switch though, this would be a good way to do it.

Indianapolis 23, Houston 3
Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed. Or worse, expelled.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-02, 07:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
Yes, but in S4, MB did nothing to stop the destruction of Maraamu, because a) he left it 8-5 and b) Maraamu actually got physically WEAKER after the swap. In fact, it took an S.O.S challenge intervention by MB to stop Maraamu from going completely Tango Uniform.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

09-24-02, 08:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
Tango Uniform... I like that.

I see what you said about Maraamuu getting physically weaker after the switch- that may be true, but look at the trade-off.

Maraamuu got Kathy, Pappy, and neleH- 3 hard workers, even if they weren't as strong. Rotu got Sean, Vee, and Robfaddah- 3 lazy bastiges who really killed a lot of what was going on in The Love Tribe.

My point being, cause I don't want this to turn into a re-hash of S4, is that I wonder if MB will shake things up if nothing "needs" to be shaken up- i.e., an unfair alliance or too little/too much conflict happening within a tribe. Any of those makes for bad TV. And that's what we're all about, isn't it? Good TV? Oh wait, this is Survivor.

Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed. Or worse, expelled.

AndreaJD2B 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-24-02, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AndreaJD2B Click to send private message to AndreaJD2B Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
An interview with JP on SNEWSER said that MB planned the switches before the game was begun and JP said he knew the day the switches were to occur and several hours before the switch what time they were to occur. At least publicly, the switch had nothing to do with the pre-switch tribal dynamics and would have occured anyway.

09-24-02, 07:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
You may be on to something, but a couple of points:

Gold can appear (especially to cameras) to be different shades of.. well, gold. Sometimes gold can almost look silvery (as the so-called "white gold" is). And I'm not sure if what the torches are are really gold, but some (much cheaper) alloy. So what are we really looking at?

Also, was it 4/4 gold/silver in TC #1?

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

09-24-02, 08:13 AM (EST)
7. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
LAST EDITED ON 09-24-02 AT 09:18 AM (EST)

>Also, was it 4/4 gold/silver in
>TC #1?

There's a great breakdown of the gold/silver split here. For the record, it's not an even split. There are 5 gold and 3 silver.

If this is how the split will be done, I'd expect the split to fall the other way for Sick Joke.

edited to fix link

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

09-24-02, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
I wonder if when the purple tribe gets their torches if they will have 5 silver and 3 gold? Then they could use the colours to split later for the switch. Of course if everyone booted has a silver torch or all gold it wouldn't work too well.

NTK 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-24-02, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NTK Click to send private message to NTK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
With reported large weight losses for Brian, Ted, Clay, Helen, and Jan did they manage to survive a "switch" with the original group mostly together?

09-24-02, 09:23 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
Assuming that this is how the switch is chosen, at least one of those weight loss spoilers is useless. We have pictures from Sue Hawk's visit to camp of CG's torches- 3 Gold and 2 Silver are there. Clay, Helen, and Jan all had Silver torches, so one of them gets booted most likely.

This would also at least have to put the switch in E5, as Sue's visit was at about Day 12/13, correct?

09-24-02, 10:36 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
If I recall, there were some weight loss and other spoilers that didn't pan out for S-4. For example, Clay might not last very long, but lose weight at Loser Lodge. Not saying that I believe this to be the case, just pointing out the possibility.

09-24-02, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
There's some confusion over Sue's visit. We assume she was there when the flower challenge thing was filmed, and we assume that that challenge is coming as soon as Ep2, so if that's the case it would seem unlikely that the 5 torches are from so much further into the game -- either she came back, stayed a long time, someone else took the torch footage, or the 5 torch footage means nothing and there were probably a couple of more torches that had tipped over onto the ground and out of camera view.

It first I'd assumed her visit to have been around after Ep4 since I could only see 12 survivors standing on that dock in front of the flower petal challenge, but from what I'm reading now some folks think that's not the case (I'm not sure why, maybe someone can explain it to me.)

I guess the bottom line is that if Sue visited later than the regular media day, then we might have someething -- but if she didn't, then the 5 torch spec is likely useless. However, regardless of when Sue visited, it's clear that there are TWO TORCH COLORS, and any possible game reason for that is currently unknown.

-SB

PS Yes, there is no guarantee of a switch -- but after S1 and S2 it wasn't done just to "shake the game up" -- it was also done to reduce the odds of someone running the table with a Day 1 through Day 39 alliance. ...and with that still being a concern, I'd be surprised if there was not a switch.

PPS As far as Burnett deciding if, as the game goes along, he thinks the game needs a switch -- if you believe CBS and Burnett, there is no decision for him to make, before the game starts the producers and the CBS onsite lawyer review all the gameplay rules (which supposedly also includes when a switch might occur.)

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-24-02, 02:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
I'm pretty sure that we'll see a switch once again especially when the game starts out in a different way than the previous seasons. MB loves to see conflict because viewers tune in to see the drama. With Jan and Jake picking the teams instead of MB, the chance of them having two love-tribes in the game would be considerably higher than when MB personally hand-selected the tribe members from the opposite ends of the spectrum; people whom he knew were very likely to clash with one another (Frank & Brandon in Samburu). Pagonging is very likely to occur even when the tribe members are bickering among themselves, let alone if there were two love-tribes where the bonds between team members were strong. I'd think that MB'd want to minimize the Pagonging as much as possible and keep the viewers guessing about where alliances lie.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-24-02, 12:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
What if one of the tribes hasn't gone to TC yet and therefore doesn't have their torches? Didn't Rotu go to their first TC after the switch?

09-24-02, 01:02 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Torch colors to determine the Switch tribes?? "
They could still give them torches -- something like this might easily play out with the switch actually happening AT the Tribal Council location.

...both teams get treemail to meet at TC at noon, and as the Purple tribe is coming in they are told to each grab a torch.

-SB

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •