The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Article on "Fresh Challenges""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

GTmike 1255 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-16-02, 01:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GTmike Click to send private message to GTmike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Article on "Fresh Challenges""
Article from the "The Olympian." Credit to SN for having this article. Bold added by me. There are some interesting quotes. The # of tribes comment is probably a red herring.

'Survivor: Thailand' promises unpredictability, fresh challenges

JOHN KIESEWETTER GANNETT NEWS SERVICE
TELEVISION
Are "Survivor" fans ready for the big splash Thursday?

"Right out of the gate, something very, very different is going to happen," promises executive producer Mark Burnett about the "Survivor: Thailand" premiere (8 p.m. Thursday, CBS). "The first act is very, very different."

What could it be? Internet sites are buzzing with speculation that the 16 castaways -- eight men and eight women -- will be split by sex into two camps (or teams?) for the first time.

"It looks like this version initially begins with all-male and all-female tribes," says TV Guide about the competition, CBS' fifth "Survivor," shot on the hot, humid jungle island of Tarutao off the southwest coast of Thailand.

Burnett won't talk about it. Obviously, he's trying to outwit his fans -- and the "spoiler" Web sites -- as the 16 contestants try to outwit, outplay and outlast each other for $1 million.

Unlike the four previous "Survivors," CBS wouldn't provide preview tapes to TV critics, or reveal the names for the two tribes.

"I can't talk about the names of the tribes, or whether there are two tribes," says Johanna Fuentes, a "Survivor' publicist for CBS.

Changes are in store for fans of "Survivor," which ranked as the No. 4 series ("Survivor: Marquesas") and No. 5 ("Survivor: Africa") series last TV season.

"We're changing the order of things," says Burnett, a master showman who can say a lot without really saying anything. "You'll find it's not what it used to be -- so predictable."

Viewers will see new challenges. Sometimes the "immunity challenges" -- games that give the winner a free pass from being voted off the island -- are conducted before the "reward challenges" for food, supplies, personal hygiene items and other perks, he says.

"I'm making a TV show for 20 million people a week to watch," he says. "We have that core audience -- no matter who's on 'Friends' or what else is on -- and what keeps them on their toes is the unpredictability."

And if the viewers don't know what to expect, imagine how the 16 contestants -- ages 23 to 60 -- left on Tarutao, a former political prison site turned into a national park.

"On a day to day basis, they don't know what to expect," Burnett claims. "One day we might do the reward challenge, immunity challenge and tribal council all in one day."

The castaways go long stretches without receiving any "tree mail," the rhyming messages from Burnett's staff informing them about competitions.

"They start to freak out and wonder. 'What's going on? Have they forgotten about us?' " he says. "I really love the game. I want people playing the game. It may be in tough conditions, they may be cold and hungry, but that's what they signed up for. I want to keep it fresh," he says.

It appears that this latest installment could be a combination of the previous two installments.

The extreme physical conditions of "Survivor: Africa" might pale in comparison to Tarutao's 115-degree heat, 90 percent humidity, deadly 14-foot king cobra snakes, interminable monsoons and the nasty dengue fever from mosquito bites causing rashes, fevers, sweating, vomiting, headaches and paralyzing joint pain.

"Survivor 5's" lush jungle setting and attractive collection of sexy hard bodies could remind viewers of "Survivor: Marquesas," which concluded in May.

Again, without talking specifics -- because he never does -- Burnett concedes that "the weather was certainly a factor. There were hard storms. ... And it seems like it was 100 degrees, even at midnight. It was stifling."

When asked about the cast, Burnett calls it his best-looking group yet. But he always says that. "You see their pictures on camera, facially -- these people look better than any other ('Survivor')," he says.

Then he hastens to add that he just doesn't pick the prettiest people from CBS' estimated 50,000 applicants.

"You can't get three months of riveting TV with only pretty faces," he says. "If they can't speak, I'm dead."

Six of the 16 have Texas ties -- four live in the Lone Star state, and another two were born there. Two each are from New York and Louisiana; none are from the Midwest. Half of the cast is age 23-30; half is 33-60. There are two black Americans and one Asian American.

Burnett says "every person has a lot of complex characteristics." That's a new twist on his favorite phrase, when he would describe every other past contestant as an "interesting character."

His formula, though, never varies. He mixes together strong-willed control freaks, turns up the heat, and watches them boil over.

"It's always very interesting how it evolves," he says. "After five series, you'd think I'd be bored -- but I'm not."

He doesn't want the viewers to get bored, either.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Article on "Fresh Challenges" ejm92 09-16-02 1
 RE: Article on "Fresh Challenges" PhillyBrat 09-16-02 2
 related news dabo 09-16-02 3
   RE: related news FesterFan1 09-16-02 4
 One tribe? Bebo 09-16-02 5
   RE: One tribe? GTmike 09-16-02 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

09-16-02, 01:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Article on "Fresh Challenges""
This is good news for the show, possibly a bit of a more daunting challenge for the spoilers, but I think most of you guys are capable of spoiling through thick and thin....I never thought I'd say this, but...thank you, EPM, for finally making one or two of the major changes needed for your show.

PhillyBrat 172 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-16-02, 08:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhillyBrat Click to send private message to PhillyBrat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Article on "Fresh Challenges""
WOW.. things are looking good this season... Immunity BEFORE reward.. or all in the same day... Looks like we have our work cut out for us.. (And we were even mentioned.. how nice =) )

And then there were none....

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-16-02, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "related news"
LAST EDITED ON 09-16-02 AT 10:35 AM (EST)

http://www.survivornews.net/article.php?id=100

"More exclusive footage is expected to air on TV Guide channel this week every hour 20 minutes before the hour."

Anyone know what TV Guide channel's cycle might be?

edited to fix link

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

09-16-02, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: related news"
Sue Hawk's reports will be shown on TV Guide Channel's Hollywood Insider, which comes on at 1:40pm, 3:40pm, 5:40pm, 9:40pm, and 12:40am (Eastern) on weekdays, and 12:40pm, 2:40pm, 4:40pm, 6:40pm, 8:40pm, 10:40pm, and 12:40am on weekends.

Fester

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

09-16-02, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "One tribe?"
>"I can't talk about the names
>of the tribes, or whether
>there are two tribes," says
>Johanna Fuentes, a "Survivor' publicist
>for CBS.

Someone brought up the concept of "The Great Divide" in E2 referring to a possible 3-tribe split. But what if there is only one tribe in E1 until the challenge? Then the divide takes place in E2.

Evil, rude, snotty, and proud of it!

GTmike 1255 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-16-02, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GTmike Click to send private message to GTmike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: One tribe?"
Bebo, I thought the same thing about this comment. The only problem is how do they divide the tribes afterwards? After the split, does the tribe with the fewer amount of people get a special reward like matches or food for three days or another luxury?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •