The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-13-02, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
LAST EDITED ON 08-13-02 AT 11:01 AM (EST)

Here is the transcript of the relevant portion of Jeff Probst’s appearance on the Early Show with Jane Clayson this morning. Have at…

Jane: Alright, tell us about Thailand, Survivor 5.

Jeff: Thailand is gonna be good because it’s different. It’s really different. Everything’s different. All new challenges, which was a big task for the challenge department to come up with everything new. And also, even from the beginning, a brand new way to start the game which has ramifications…

Jane (interrupting): They’re not gonna come in on the boat anymore?

Jeff: Well, even deeper than that. Just how it begins and it plays out through the whole season. And it really hits on assumptions, because after 5 seasons, these guys think they know the show. And so we have to keep working hard to make sure your assumptions are wrong. Because then you start second-guessing yourself later, and that’s when you can make things tricky again.

Jane: Is it true the monsoon season was on while you guys were there?

Jeff: Yeah, and in the second half they get a lot of rain, and you know it’s the kind of rain that comes down in sheets and then it’s gone and it’s hot again. And Tribal Council is killer. It’s the most ornate Tribal Council we’ve ever had.

Jane: You say that every time…

Jeff (interrupting): No, the most ornate, though. Usually they’re like coconut husks and bamboo shoots. This is Thai temple stuff—gold leaf—very…it’s very weird to me because you’re there in your smelly khakis in this beautiful Thai temple. But it was so fun.

Jane: You like this new cast.

Jeff: Yeah, we’re gonna announce them on Thursday, but this is…Every cast has it’s own vibe…This is as close to 1 in terms of the cross-section of America. I mean it is a cross-section.

Jane: OK, well we’ll remind everybody that on Thursday on the Early Show we’ll have our first look at the 16 new competitors trying to Outwit, Outlast, and Outplay each other on Survivor: Thailand.

Jeff: And they’re good looking.

Jane: Yeah, well what a shock that is…

I thought the most interesting thing was the emphasis on how ALL of the challenges are different. How different? The PR spin has begun...

Fester

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show ejm92 08-13-02 1
 RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show PepeLePew13 08-13-02 2
 Hey Jiffy...you talkin' to us??? Rain Crow 08-13-02 3
   RE: Hey Jiffy...you talkin' to us??... ejm92 08-13-02 4
 starting the game PagongRatEater 08-13-02 5
   RE: starting the game Draco Malfoy 08-14-02 6
 RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show JeffGator 08-14-02 7
   RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show weltek 08-14-02 8
       RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show ShowMeTheWinner 08-15-02 9
       RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show Kokoro 08-15-02 10
           RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show PepeLePew13 08-15-02 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-13-02, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
Hopefully "Good-Looking" doesn't translate into "Sarah-Good-Looking". I don't know if I could stand a Big Brother crowd on Survivor.....and hopefully they haven't manipulated the interworks of the show too much. Huge changes may turn off the American Public, I think they need to go back to previous votes for the ties, and THEN use purple rocks if the tie is still there.....Another cool thing would be individual immunity before the merge....maybe assign someone to give out that immunity......I dunno......the challenges sound good, we do need something new, not recycled challenges like the NBC reality shows. Hopefully Tribal Council will still seem like Tribal Council.....with a little bit of the outside feel to it....I still think the Outback TC was the best, it was open-air. Anyways, I guess we can just watch Thursday and hope for something good.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-02, 12:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
Thanks for the info, Fester... and happy 400th post!

I tend to take things said by JiffyProbe with a grain of salt because he's been known to say things that didn't really happen or cause us to read too much into his words. I'm still burning over the "Liz kicks butt" comment from S2 which had some of us overanalyzing things.

I think this sounds like another show where an under-the-radar person has a good shot of winning and more Hunter types get booted early because of the "And it really hits on assumptions, because after 5 seasons, these guys think they know the show" comment.

It DOES sound like it's going to be a fascinating show with the new ideas and all-new challenges, so it gives me something to really look forward to.

Rain Crow 374 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-13-02, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rain%20Crow Click to send private message to Rain%20Crow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Hey Jiffy...you talkin' to us???"
Jiffy might be providing us their first attempt at double meanings in Survivor Thailand when he says:

>Jeff: ......."because after 5 seasons,
>these guys think they know
>the show. And so
>we have to keep working
>hard to make sure your
>assumptions are wrong. Because
>then you start second-guessing yourself
>later, and that’s when you
>can make things tricky again."

He appears to be talking about the contestants, but he could also be talking about us spoilers .

After all, they do know we are out there!

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

08-13-02, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Hey Jiffy...you talkin' to us???"
Yeah, Rain Crow, that was pretty much my opinion when I read that. Hopefully they invited a few former Spoilers to be on the show, it'd be nice to finally have a player that understands the show.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

08-13-02, 02:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "starting the game"
This is what I saw that is of most interest....

JEFF: even from the beginning, a brand new way to start the game which has ramifications…

Jane (interrupting): They’re not gonna come in on the boat anymore?

JEFF: Well, even deeper than that. Just how it begins and it plays out through the whole season.

We have been back and forth on whether this indicates a real change in the show - tribe selection, tribe composition - or if it just a simple matter of how they physically get there. This really seems to suggest strongly the former rather than the latter.

So, let's begin the speculation again and consider what this "earth shattering" change might be or if it's just EMB just messing with us again.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

08-14-02, 08:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: starting the game"
I agree. I think this is going to have something to do with how the tribes are chosen. I'm wondering if they start out as one big tribe, then intead of a reward challenge, they pull something like the switch last year, where the tribes are chosen totally at random. Now that would definitely change the way the game is played. Players begin making friendships and alliances from day one, and then right away, the rug is pulled out from underneath them by splitting them up.

Plus it also adds a bit of fun instability to the tribes: Say for example, one tribe has more men from the start than the other. Or one tribe is full of Seans, Robs, and Sarahs, while all the hard-workers get on the same tribe.

Could definitely change the way the game is played if one tribe starts out as the underdog. And it makes for great television.

The Artist Formerly Known As DarkLotus
Daddy, there's a monster outside my room. Can I have a glass of water?

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-14-02, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
First of all, I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with everything ejm92 said. I couldn't stand a Big Brother crowd on Survivor either. And I totally think that they need to go back to previous votes...it adds another aspect to strategy in this game.

I really don't believe a damn thing Jeff Probst says though. He feeds us the same bullshlt before every Survivor starts and we always believe him. He always says how it's the best cast, best location, exciting new things happen, challenges are different, etc. Don't you guys remember last time for S4?!! He said that the challenges were different...simpler or something like that. Well I don't think they were any different at all.

The only thing I believe is that the game is started differently. And I think the reason that all of the players are in good physical shape is because the tribes are indeed chosen by the players at the beginning of the game. They didn't put in any Sonjas, Rodgers, or Patricias because obviously those would be picked last. On the otherhand, it wouldn't suprise me if the game starts exactly the same. Jeff Probst and Mark Burnett have lied to us so many times...although they are just trying to promote their show and make it look fresh so I can't say that I blame them.

Just take everything they say with a grain of salt as Pepe said.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-14-02, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
A few thoughts:
I think the game WILL start in a dramatically different fashion because it is too risky to promote that it will be different and then offer up the same stuff.

I think Jiffy is telling the truth about all the challenges being different, altough I'm sure some of the principles such as balance/endurance will be the same in some of the games.

I think Jiffy is full of crap with the most exciting place, blah blah blah thing. And yes, I think he does liken every cast to S1.

I really think the pressure was on last season after Africa was soo crappy and they thought the change of scenery would be the magic trick. It wasn't. There were too many bland characters. I bet they really tried to have some big personalities this time. I'm prepared for a good season...a little more so than last season. Hopefully I won't be disappointed like last time.

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

08-15-02, 04:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
>A few thoughts:
>I think the game WILL start
>in a dramatically different fashion
>because it is too risky
>to promote that it will
>be different and then offer
>up the same stuff.
>

Sadly, this reminds me of the "Don't miss the first 10 minutes" promo during S4 and they showed us nothing but commercials during that time. Hopefully they don't cheat us again this time.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

08-15-02, 05:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
This cast does remind me of Africa, sadly, what with the ages and the way it looks like Tanya (who does seem to be the sweetheart regardless of the Neleh-like girl) will be gone before the jury (think Jessie).

There's also an article that hasn't been mentioned on SN that says crew members came back depressed, whereas they came back bright and cheery after Marquesas. Maybe it was the horrible weather (And look how horrible conditions helped form S3)? Or was it just the horrible cast?

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

08-15-02, 08:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Jeff Probst on the Early Show"
>There's also an article that hasn't been mentioned on SN that
>says crew members came back depressed, whereas they came back
>bright and cheery after Marquesas. Maybe it was the horrible
>weather (And look how horrible conditions helped form S3)? Or
>was it just the horrible cast?

Speculation elsewhere has it that this could possibly be because of the sudden death of Tanya's father right near the end of filming. If, as I suspect, Tanya didn't make the jury, then the finalists and perhaps the jury wouldn't find out until after the final episode had been filmed and they gathered for the cast party -- the news would hit them all at once and put a damper on things right before they all fly home as a group.

We've seen how tightly-knit some casts were even to the first few people that got booted, so this would make sense.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •