The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Contestant List for S5?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-25-02, 08:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Contestant List for S5?"
I have no idea if this is legit or not as it's reportedly from Survivorsucks (and we know how they are...) -- this info was lifted off from a new website called SurvivorThailand.com, again no idea how dependable the information is. Take it for what it's worth as some websites had a number of inaccurate information before S3 and S4, and there's always an incorrect list that surfaces somewhere.

Here's the purported S5 contestant list -- maybe some of our sleuths here can look up some of these people if anyone happens to live close to the hometowns listed.

Wao Tribe
Valerie Andersen, 21, Eau Claire, WI
Ben Yi Chen, 22, Acworth, GA
Lisa Eggerton, 34, New York City
Steven Faherty, 63, Sheridan, IN
Craig Nicholas, 42, Salem, OR
Aaron O'Neil, 29, Westborough, MA
Kristie Schaeffer, 43, Farmington, NM
Tanya Vance, 28, Johnson City, TN

Udang Tribe
Martin Brown, 31, Birmingham, AL
Scott Cleeves, 38, Wasilla, AK
Paul Friesen, 48, Watkins Glen, NY
Jennie Guthrie, 22, Kansas City, MO
Carol Harden, 61, Grizzly Flats, CA
Bonnie Johnson, 28, Wichita, KS
Gary Quinn, 36, Oakland, CA
Carey Schueler, 27, Chicago, IL

So... is this legitimate or a hoax?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 At least 7 are real people... Rain Crow 07-25-02 1
 RE: Contestant List for S5? Kokoro 07-26-02 2
   RE: Contestant List for S5? PepeLePew13 07-26-02 6
   RE: Contestant List for S5? smrtNsassybnkr 07-31-02 19
       RE: Contestant List for S5? Femme 07-31-02 20
 RE: Contestant List for S5? dabo 07-26-02 3
   RE: Contestant List for S5? slimmyworm 07-26-02 4
   RE: Contestant List for S5? PepeLePew13 07-26-02 5
       RE: Contestant List for S5? toddE 07-26-02 7
       RE: Contestant List for S5? dabo 07-27-02 8
           RE: Contestant List for S5? ShowMeTheWinner 07-28-02 9
               RE: Contestant List for S5? dabo 07-28-02 10
                   RE: Contestant List for S5? ShowMeTheWinner 07-28-02 12
               Udang and Wao tribephyl 07-28-02 11
                   RE: Udang and Wao ShowMeTheWinner 07-28-02 13
                       RE: Udang and Wao tribephyl 07-28-02 14
                   RE: Udang and Wao benjapol 08-17-02 26
 Commonality Bond dabo 07-30-02 15
   RE: Commonality Bond FesterFan1 07-30-02 17
       RE: Commonality Bond Kokoro 08-01-02 24
 RE: Contestant List for S5? NytZGirL 07-30-02 16
   RE: Contestant List for S5? pigpend 07-30-02 18
 Valerie Andersen weltek 07-31-02 21
   RE: Valerie Andersen slimmyworm 07-31-02 22
       RE: Valerie Andersen weltek 08-01-02 23
 Gary Quinn gendicott 08-12-02 25
   RE: Gary Quinn dabo 08-17-02 27
       Let's bury this thread... PepeLePew13 08-17-02 28
 Locking... sleeeve 08-17-02 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Rain Crow 374 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

07-25-02, 09:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rain%20Crow Click to send private message to Rain%20Crow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "At least 7 are real people..."
Thanks for the heads up!

I just quickly checked 5 names on Yahoo People Search:
Steven Faherty, Craig Nicholas, Scott Cleeves, Paul Friesen, and Carol Harden. I got single hits on each one. So....these names and locations are real. I checked a couple of the younger men with unusual names (Chen and Quinn) but no hits. I didn't check the younger women(often not listed or under husbands name) the common names, or Tanya Vance and Carey Schueler.

You are right to be suspicious, but we know that at least 7 of these people do exist and that at least 2 of them are probably contestants.

I hope some other folks on this board can do additional checking and let us know if this is a good list.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

07-26-02, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
I seriously doubt this is the list, Pepe. First of all, it's only been a couple weeks so this kind of leak shouldn't be possible unless Les Moonves is going insane and decided to tell us.

Second, if the larger spoilers couldn't come up with it, how does an anonymous poster have all 16?

Third, IIRC, we don't ever really ~know~ the tribes (or their names) until the official site comes up.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

07-26-02, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
Like I said... take it for what it's worth... I'm hoping that it can be completely debunked so we can save our time or in the very small chance that it IS correct, we can go ahead and do up individual threads to collect information on each person.

smrtNsassybnkr 332 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

07-31-02, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smrtNsassybnkr Click to send private message to smrtNsassybnkr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
FYI www.survivorthailand.com is the official website and this is where the "supposed" list came from. I doubt if it is completely correct, but you never know.

Femme 3621 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-02, 04:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Femme Click to send private message to Femme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
Actually, SurvivorThailand credits SurvivorSucks with the list.

Femme

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

07-26-02, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
Can someone try to find out if the words Udang and Wao (which is the order they would be presented in the credits if MB follows form) mean anything or are they utter nonsense?

UDANG WAO

slimmyworm 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-26-02, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail slimmyworm Click to send private message to slimmyworm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
Dabo, Udang and Wao are the names of bays off the coast of Koh Tarutao. Seems like whoever came up with the hoax just looked at a map.

07-26-02, 10:25 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
They're legitimate names in Thailand. Of course, whoever made up this list could easily have looked it up on the Net.

Ao Talo Wao and Talo Udang (Talo Wao and Talo Udang Bays)
are the two bays which share similar natural and scenic characteristics. In addition to natural attractions and scenic beauty on the island, visitors to Tarutao are also attracted by historical remains as the island was once used as a maximum security center for first degree criminals and political prisoners, a place reminiscent of pains and bitterness suffered by the detainees. Traces of the building structures such as a 10-kilometer road linking between two detention centers (one at Ao Talo Wao and the other at Ao Talo Udang) can still be seen. There are also ruins of housing for prison staff, a concrete tank for storing fish, tombs, brick furnaces for producing charcoal, and other utensils. Ao Talo Udang is unique in that it is located on the lowest point of the island, with a long history, and the existence of a cave with much sought-after edible swallow's nests.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

07-26-02, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
Well, Pepe, for what my 2 cents are worth, I think it's probably true. I've never understood why they want to keep the contestants such a big secret. I mean, who really gives a $hi+? It's always struck me as so pompous on the producer's part. I'm positive some contestants have told their employers exactly why they'd be missing work, regardless of the cover story they've come up with.

07-27-02, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
I tried the words "udang" and "wao" in a Thai to English translator, both had negative results, so they are just names. Or: Would there be another language that might be native to the island (even if no longer used)?

ARRRRRRR!!!!

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

07-28-02, 03:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
"Udang" means prawn or shrimp in Malay, which is the national language of Malaysia, Thailand's southern neighbor. If the tribe name's true, then perhaps we can expect to see an abundance of prawns to be found in the island just like in Maraamu.

I have no idea what "wao" means. Perhaps the word is in a Thai or Malay dialect. Care to post the translator website to me, dabo? Thanks in advance.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO EVERYONE: If you haven't signed up for the Petition to Mark Burnett yet, please sign up now before our favorite show goes down the ratings toilet. Remember that this site's future rests in our hands now!

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

07-28-02, 09:27 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
LAST EDITED ON 07-28-02 AT 09:28 AM (EST)

http://www.word2word.com/dictionary.html

"Wao" produced a negative search in Malay, unfortunately.

However, since "udang" means crayfish or prawn or shrimp in Malay, we could speculate that the other tribe name should be some sort of shellfish or seafood.

I don't think this list will hold up if one of the names means something and the other doesn't.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

07-28-02, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
I'd looked everywhere but I can't find any meaning to "wao" in either Thai or Malay. I even went to a Thai chat site to ask the meaning of "wao" and nobody knew, so I doubt that "wao" is the name of a common shellfish or seafood.

I'm thinking that both names could also refer to native tribes who had resided on the islands. I don't think we should dismiss the list based on the information that "udang" is a term for a shellfish and "wao" isn't.

During my chat, someone suggested that I search the history behind the names of these islands if I want to find out their meanings. I have yet to do so as I'm kinda busy at the moment. I'd think that the info would be available somewhere at one of these sites: http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/Thailand/Recreation_and_Sports/Travel/Destination_Guides/

Will get back later if I find something interesting...

SPECIAL NOTICE TO EVERYONE: If you haven't signed up for the Petition to Mark Burnett yet, please sign up now before our favorite show goes down the ratings toilet. Remember that this site's future rests in our hands now!

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

07-28-02, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "Udang and Wao"
Undang as you have mentioned, does indeed mean shrimp.
Wao on the other hand means wind.
These do fall into MB's usual arena of meanings.

07-28-02, 03:07 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Udang and Wao"
How did you manage to find out the meaning of wao, tribephyl? I looked everywhere!

Anyway, as I said before, Udang and Wao could simply refer to the natives and not any related subjects in particular. Did Tagi and Pagong actually mean anything? I didn't do my research for S1 but I don't think they actually mean anything in Malay (please correct me if I'm wrong).

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

07-28-02, 06:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Udang and Wao"
I ran a search on Google. I'm sorry I didn't have a more difficult time with it.

As far as Tagi and Pagong...I don't remeber what they mean exactly but there are others on this board who do.

And Much like in S1, S2, S3 and S4 the S5 teams were named after existing beaches/tribes in the area. Even though there might be a literal translation. They are indeed just named after local sites or peoples. I mean how much can we really glean from a showdown between shrimp and wind.

benjapol 93 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-17-02, 02:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail benjapol Click to send private message to benjapol Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Udang and Wao"
Wao doesn't mean wind. It means a kite.
And Udang has no meaning in Thai

07-30-02, 10:24 AM (EST)
15. "Commonality Bond"
Awhile back I received (via email) a list of the S5 contestants (and the tribe names). Since there always seem to be hoax lists that come out for every Survivor, I set aside the information for comparison with subsequent lists which might come out (these things usually mutate as more solid information comes out). I don't know where this list originated, my source simply passed it on to me. That list was:

Capara Tribe: Drew, Fred, Jackie, Jeff, Jennifer, Kristen, Larry, Morgan (no translation for "capara" in either Thai or Malay, that I could find).

Lonka Tribe: Charlie, Don, Joe, Marcus, Melvin, Samantha, Sara, Stephanie (no translation for "lonka" in either Thai or Malay, that I could find).

Obviously, this early hoax list failed to have any impact; it is notable that only one name is duplicated on the Udang/Wao list (Jennie/Jennifer).

One thing that is notable in Survivor is that the initial tribe names have a commonality bond (if I may borrow that Rechtorism). In S1 the names were taken from the beaches where the tribes were encamped (without regard to whatever else "pagong" and "tagi" may mean), in S2 the names were both taken from Aboriginal Australian names for large animals of the region, in S3 the names were both actual tribe names in Africa, in S4 the names were both elemental words (or weather words if you will). I think it is also notable that, despite the penchant in Survivor to repeat themes, challenges, et cetera, the derivation of tribal names has never been repeated. If Udang and Wao are, in fact, the tribe names in S5, then the commonality bond seems to be that they hearken back to S1, and possibly thus indicate even where the initial tribal camps were located, which would place them near the former prison sites.

SMILES ARE FREE

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

07-30-02, 12:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Commonality Bond"
LAST EDITED ON 07-30-02 AT 02:06 PM (EST)

I would be very surprised if this list was genuine; for two reasons: 1) The tribe names and 2) the hometowns of the supposed tribe members.

One thing that is notable in Survivor is that the initial tribe names have a commonality bond. In S1 the names were taken from the beaches where the tribes were encamped, in S2 the names were both taken from Aboriginal Australian names for large animals of the region, in S3 the names were both actual tribe names in Africa, in S4 the names were both elemental words (or weather words if you will).

I agree. The pattern (if there is one) seems to be Geographic Name, Language-based Name, Geo. Name, Language Name. Based on that "pattern" it's very likely that the tribe names for S5 will have some tie to the geography of Tarutao (whether it be location name or people name). However, unless the Survivor Maps people are wrong, and I don't think they have been yet (please correct me if I'm mistaken), the locations of Talo Wao and Talo Udang are *not* where the camps will be. In fact, Talo Wao is where Tribal Council is supposed to be.

The other reason I'm skeptical is that there doesn't seem to be enough supposed cast members from the larger markets. Only 8 are from areas that are (or are near) the top 35 TV markets, compared to 10, 12, 12, and 11 in the previous four respectively, by my calculations. And only 5 in the top 15 compared to 7, 11, 8, and 8.

The age distributions look about right, so if this is a hoax, the person who came up with it put a good deal of thought into it. Still, I just don't think it's legit.

Fester

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings

08-01-02, 11:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Commonality Bond"
And as I said before, we ~never get the tribe names~! Or the ages, actually.

For this list to be correct, it would have to have been written up by either Les Moonves himself, Jeff, MB, an actual cast member, or some other person involved in the production who knew the tribal breakdown and had access to the bios to know the ages and locations of each person.

What we get, and this is usually a week or two before the show actually starts, is a list of names. That's it. Until the official website comes up or SNewser (or some other respectable spoiler source) manages to dig something up for us.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

NytZGirL 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

07-30-02, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail NytZGirL Click to send private message to NytZGirL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
who knows if they are indeed contestants but when I ran an Aaron O'Neil search it turned up a police office in massachusetts, but I don't know if thats the same person.

Also, when I searched Bonnie Johnson her listing "Bonnie J Johnson, (316) 942-5672, 5808 W 8th St N, Wichita, KS 67212 " came up at the top of the google search engine along with many other search engine results pointing to a Bonnie Johnson in Wichita. There were tons of search results so I guess there are alot of Bonnie Johnsons in Wichita.

Lisa Eggerton only gave me results for San Fransisco.
Anyways I have to get back to work, those are the only ones I had time for.

pigpend 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-30-02, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pigpend Click to send private message to pigpend Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Contestant List for S5?"
There IS a Carol Harden in Grizzly Flats, according to the Google Search, and a search for Lisa Eggerton indicates that one works at a business in New York City, where she apparently lives. These are definitely real people, but whether or not the creator of this list just found them on the internet (like we are doing), or they are on the show, we won't know yet...

Another point against this list is the average ages of the tribes, but if the tribes are randomly determined.....

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

07-31-02, 04:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "Valerie Andersen"
LAST EDITED ON 07-31-02 AT 05:09 PM (EST)

Living in Wisconsin, I decided to check out Valerie. As I suspected, there is a Valerie Lynn Andersen at UW-Eau Claire. Anyone want to try her number? Not that I encourage stalking, but a phone call asking if she's there (might still be out of town)...

You can look it up on UW-Eau Claires website. It has a local phone # and if you click on her username it gives a permanent phone # also. I'd feel weird posting the number here. The perm phone says her dad's a certified public accountant in Madison...my home. I love reverse phone number look ups.

slimmyworm 28 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

07-31-02, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail slimmyworm Click to send private message to slimmyworm Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Valerie Andersen"
Someone on Sucks already called this person and she denied it.

I wouldn't waste your time on this fake list.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

08-01-02, 10:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Valerie Andersen"
Thanks Slimmyworm, I agree that this list sure seems suspect. Someone appears to have put a lot of effort into it, but it's still probably bunk.

gendicott 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-12-02, 03:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail gendicott Click to send private message to gendicott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "Gary Quinn"
I went to Skyline High School in Oakland, CA with a Gary Quinn who would be 36 now. We'll see on Friday if this is a true list and if he is the same guy!

08-17-02, 03:52 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Gary Quinn"
Nope, too bad for your high school buddy, no Gary Quinn in Survivor this time.

Well, this was fun, once again the advance cast list creators have had their laff. Pathetic, but I guess they get something out of it.

Speaking of gufu, the summer project gufu finale votes are still open on Bashers.

Maybe someday I'll figure out a way to have a Gufu Award for dumbdumb hoaxers. Well, if I do, advance cast lists probably won't make a ripple in the standings, they're so lame.

08-17-02, 10:41 AM (EST)
28. "Let's bury this thread..."
Yep, now that this list has been exposed as a hoax... nothing else to do other than to let this thread die a quick death -- hopefully we can get enough info to bump all of these threads up and put this one onto page 2.

Whoever made the fake list up obviously is a loser who has way too much time on his/her hands to get a giggle out of a fake list.

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-17-02, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "Locking..."
Since this is now a hoax, proven wrong, I'm locking this thread to bury it, while the real contestant spoiling takes place .

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Unlock | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •