The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Weather Updates"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-10-02, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cin Click to send private message to Cin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Weather Updates"
LAST EDITED ON 06-10-02 AT 03:47 PM (EST)

Ok, I know this is being discussed on another thread, but I figuared we should have one single thread devoted to the weather conditions now, since the game has now begun. (instead of the filming dates thread, if I'm wrong please delete this post

So how's the weather over there?

Cin

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Per Weather.com Bebo 06-10-02 1
   RE: Per Weather.com SurvivorBlows 06-10-02 2
       RE: Per Weather.com PepeLePew13 06-11-02 3
       RE: Per Weather.com Bebo 06-11-02 4
       It's Raining, It's Pouring... Rain Crow 06-14-02 9
   Thoughts on Heat and Humidity Rain Crow 06-11-02 5
       RE: Thoughts on Heat and Humidity Swami 06-12-02 7
           You are so right! Rain Crow 06-13-02 8
   RE: Per Weather.com Kokoro 06-12-02 6
 RE: Weather Updates spartan 06-19-02 10
   RE: Weather Updates Cin 06-20-02 11
       RE: Weather Updates spartan 06-20-02 12
 RE: Weather Updates dabo 06-21-02 13
   RE: Weather Updates producer 06-25-02 14
   RE: Weather Updates Kokoro 06-26-02 15
       RE: Weather Updates producer 06-26-02 16
           RE: Weather Updates dabo 06-26-02 17
               RE: Weather Updates producer 06-26-02 18
 Getting Worse Again dabo 07-01-02 19
   It ain't as bad as all that HongKongFooey 07-02-02 20
       RE: It ain't as bad as all that PepeLePew13 07-02-02 21
       RE: It ain't as bad as all that Swami 07-02-02 22
 rain & sun, etc. Ra_8secs 07-03-02 23
 RE: Weather Updates Q 07-15-02 24
 RE: Weather Updates dabo 07-19-02 25
 RE: Weather Updates clemsonbeav 08-13-02 26

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-10-02, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Per Weather.com"
Please don't make me smack my chest like Hunter did during this weather report!

Phuket, Thailand
as reported at Phuket, Thailand. Last Updated Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 1:30 AM Local Time (Monday, 2:30 PM EDT)

Mostly Cloudy
84°F Feels Like: 100°F

UV Index: 0 Minimal
Wind: From the West at 6 mph
Dew Point: 82°F
Humidity: 94 %
Visibility: Unlimited
Barometer: 29.77 inches and falling

Bebo note: Due to high humidity, it feels like it's this hot in the middle of the night, I think contestants will have even more trouble sleeping, especially at the beginning while they are getting used to the constant heat.

10 Day Forecast

Phuket, Thailand
Last Updated Monday, June 10, 2002, at 11:40 PM Local Time (Monday, 12:40 PM EDT)

Tue Jun 11 T-Showers 92°F 80°F
UV Index: 10+ Extreme

Wed Jun 12 T-Showers 91°F 78°F

Thu Jun 13 T-Showers 90°F 78°F
UV Index: 9 High

Fri Jun 14 T-Showers 90°F 78°F

Sat Jun 15 Isolated T-Storms 90°F 78°F

Sun Jun 16 Partly Cloudy 90°F 78°F

Mon Jun 17 Partly Cloudy 90°F 78°F

Tue Jun 18 Isolated T-Storms 90°F 78°F

Wed Jun 19 Isolated T-Storms 90°F 78°F

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

06-10-02, 05:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Per Weather.com"
> Tue Jun 11 T-Showers
> Wed Jun 12 T-Showers
> Thu Jun 13 T-Showers
> Fri Jun 14 T-Showers
> Sat Jun 15 Isolated T-Storms
> Sun Jun 16 Partly Cloudy
> Mon Jun 17 Partly Cloudy
> Tue Jun 18 Isolated T-Storms
> Wed Jun 19 Isolated T-Storms

Oh boy, isn't this going to make great television -- NOT!

Someone explain to me why Burnett is filming during monsoon season again???

-SB

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-02, 02:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Per Weather.com"
I also notice that the UV index is "extreme" each of these 10 days... having all that rain will be handy to cool off the searing skin as well.

MB is really going to make these people suffer... but I wonder how the challenges will go if there's a lot of rainstorms? Hmmm.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-02, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Per Weather.com"
Someone explain to me why Burnett is filming during monsoon season again???

Survivor 5 = Wet T-shirt contest????

(Been resisting the urge to post that on Bashers for a long time.)

Rude, snotty, mean, horrible, nasty, witch, yadda yadda yadda...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Carolina Hurricanes - Eastern Conference Champions
Bedeviled NJ, nabbed the Habs, and raked the Leafs!

Rain Crow 374 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

06-14-02, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rain%20Crow Click to send private message to Rain%20Crow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "It's Raining, It's Pouring..."
and no one is snoring!

Just now checked the weather for Satun. It is almost one o'clock at night (Fri. night 14th/Sat. morning 15th) with thunderstorms.

Heh-Heh .

06-11-02, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rain%20Crow Click to send private message to Rain%20Crow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Thoughts on Heat and Humidity"
This is going to be a tough Suvivor I think. The heat, humidity, sun, rain, etc. will play heavily in the physical and mental fitness, energy, and health of the survivors.

I experienced periods of identical weather during my 1968-1969 tour in Vietnam with the Marine Corps. Even thought we were in outstanding physical condition, these conditions played hell with us from time to time. We had frequent cases of heat exhaustion and some near misses with the much more dangerous heat stroke. Some guys were actually medivaced from the bush via helicopters.

I personally came close to passing out one day when everything suddenly turned very bright white as I staggered over to lean on a sand-bagged bunker in a little patch of shade. My skin felt like I had thousands of needles stabbing me. One of our Corpsman (medic to you Army guys!) had me drink lots of water and take some salt tablets. During the worst of the weather, I would take 10-20 aspirin-sized salt tablets PER DAY(!) to keep my salt content and electrolytes under control.

Spoiler and speculation value of my Vietnam experiences:

(1) Keep a close watch on physical condition of the contestants. I doubt if anyone will be acclimated for these conditions. Heat and humidity can take a toll on strength and energy. Early on, we should look for those who seem to cope with it better than others. They will probably do better in the challenges. We can also look for signs of medical treatment or assistance. All survivors will need lots of water, salt, and even food to stay healthy in this environment, but some will need more than others. Contestants not getting medical treatment will want to elimate those that do.

(2) Likewise, we need to be aware of their mental condition. When it rains every day, every day, every day, etc., it can stress people out...particularly when accompanied by heat and humidity. Then add in the fact that most people will try to stay in the shelter during inclement weather...we're talking cabin fever in the making! MB may have some PTSD-like problems on his hands unless they are really careful. We can expect to see lots of stress-related bickering, arguments, etc. It will probably be difficult to hold a large alliance together. People will be more prone to vote off annoying people this time I think.

(3) Due to these factors, I beleive we will see weaker players eliminated very early on in S5 (ala Jessica in Survivor Africa). By the way, Africa was a bit different...dry heat is more bearable...so we saw some relatively weak players hang on.

(4) Since we haven't had any medivac eliminations since Mike Skupin in S2, I would think the law of averages would be working its way around to another one in S5. I will be surprised if it doesn't happen in this type of environment.

Guess that is enough for now. I will be looking forward to other comments and analysis as we prepare for our own personal challenges in spoiling S5!

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-02, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Thoughts on Heat and Humidity"
Now see, I have a very different take on monsoon season, having spent all of one and part of another monsoon on the west coast of southern India.

The last few weeks leading into the rainy season were the unbearable ones, because the heat & humidity were unrelenting. But with the rains came relief. Humidity & temperature both seem to go down while it is raining. I enjoyed the rainy season!

It was, however, impossible to have dry foot wear, since you are often walking through several inches of water run-off wherever you go. Leather shoes just rotted. Athletic shoes never dried completely. Dirty, sweaty clothes would grow fungus if not hung so they received good air circulation.

If these people have to build their own jury-rigged shelters, they will certainly get very wet day & night. A proper thatched roof is not something an amateur can throw up easily. I agree the stress of the heat, humidity & constantly being wet will take a psychological toll. Building & maintaining fires should be a challenge! They will have to be very scupulous about keeping their uncooked rice totally dry. If uncooked rice gets wet it will rot overnight & be inedible.

I think as a soldier you were probably engaged in more constant strenuous physical activity than the Survivors will be, especially if you routinely carried a lot of heavy equipment around. In all the Survivors so far, people seem to have lots of time to just hang out & 'chill' when they are not doing challenges. I doubt if they will need salt tablets as you describe.

While I have some different opinions on the monsoon, I agree with your opening comment completely -- This is going to be a tough Suvivor I think. The heat, humidity, sun, rain, etc. will play heavily in the physical and mental fitness, energy, and health of the survivors.

Swami

06-13-02, 12:21 PM (EST)
8. "You are so right!"
I have had boots and clothes mildew and rot, literally while wearing them. Miserable!

Rains do cool things down when they are actually occuring and I also enjoyed the rain itself (until it went on day after day after day, etc!). In fact, we used to stand out in the rain "butt-nekkid" with a bar of soap and take a shower! Wonder if MB will show us that if it happens?!?!

I also remember the soaked terrain and even flooding, which can be a concern in some areas (but perhaps not on a sandy beach?). You are probably right about the fire problem. If they have true monsoon rains instead of just rain showers, I have my doubts if they can successfully keep them going.

Yep, we were pretty busy much of the time, often carrying 75-100 pounds of field gear, weapons, and ammo. Assuming the survivors won't have to do so , maybe they want need so many salt tablets. Still, I hope they have some in stock, along with plenty of sunscrean!!!

Can hardly wait to see how the contestants handle all this .

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-12-02, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Per Weather.com"
Wow, does that ever sound like fun....Note to any cute girls: DRINK THE WATER - even if it tastes "yucky" ;)

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

spartan 280 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-19-02, 11:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail spartan Click to send private message to spartan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Weather Updates"
Looks pretty miserable over there at this point. At 10:00 in the morning, the temperature today was 93 with a heat index of 115. High heat and higher humidity with rain thrown in on a dialy basis.

Unfortunately, this sounds disturbingly like the conditions in Africa where the weather, in part, had a significant impact on the activity level of the Survivors.

The other thing I;m going to take from the weather conditions is that watching for ewakness in the first couple of episodes is going to be more telling than who is lining up with who (or is it whom?).

Cin 843 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-20-02, 08:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cin Click to send private message to Cin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Weather Updates"
They are so screwed! I hope the rain atleast cools things off for them

Cin

spartan 280 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-20-02, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail spartan Click to send private message to spartan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Weather Updates"
Following the weather reports, it looks like the rain actually does more harm than good. In North America, we are used to rain storms that serve as the edge of a cool front. With tropical weather, things are different. There is no cool front and all the rain really does (other than make everyone wet) is keep the humidity at staggering levels.

Of course, what better group of people to see completely miserable than these DAWs.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

06-21-02, 00:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Weather Updates"
10-Day Forecast
Fri 6/21 Isolated T-Storms (High/Low) 91/79 (Precip%) 40%
Sat 6/22 T-Showers 91/70 40%
Sun 6/23 T-Showers 90/78 50%
Mon 6/24 T-Showers 90/78 50%
Tue 6/25 T-Showers 90/77 50%
Wed 6/26 Cloudy 90/77 30%
Thu 6/27 Cloudy 90/77 30%
Fri 6/28 Mostly Cloudy 90/77 30%
Sat 6/29 Cloudy 90/77 30%
Sun 6/30 Cloudy 89/78 20%

Looks like things may get a little bit more liveable, but not much.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

producer 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

06-25-02, 01:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail producer Click to send private message to producer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Weather Updates"
I was in Thailand in late April and I thought it was pretty darn hott. Before I got there they said they were having a severe dry spell, but then it rained for 2 days straight.

I figure that's what the monsoon season will be like (in Late July/August). Filming will actually be over before the bad stuff hits the island.

I'm working on a little weather module right now for the survivorthailand.com site and Sutan is actually the better place to pull weather from. Phukett tends to be a little more stable year round. And it's a larger island, so the monsoons don't impact them as much.

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-26-02, 04:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Weather Updates"
Actually, it does sound much better - I know I love clouds. And yes of course it's the humidity that keeps it all hot and such but having the Sun beating down on you isn't really the biggest help either.

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

06-26-02, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail producer Click to send private message to producer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Weather Updates"
I went on a few hikes on some really hot days. Ok, they're all really hot. And once you get under some form of cover (trees, rocks, etc), it's quite nice. The temp felt like it was about 20 degrees cooler.

I don't think they'll have many problems after the first 3 or 4 days. I suspect the first person to go out will likely have heat exaustion.

Fortunately there is plenty of fresh water on the island and they shouldn't have any issues lighting fires (simply put some dry leaves on the beach and the heat will make them explode into flames).

-------------------------
Survivor Thailand - 2002
Out Click, Out Link, Out Post
http://www.survivorthailand.com

06-26-02, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Weather Updates"
Neat. MB probably won't clue them in about the leaves on the beach trick, though; that just sounds too easy. Nice site. Have you been keeping a daily log of the weather? Have there been any notable storms in the area?

06-26-02, 05:43 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Weather Updates"
>Have
>you been keeping a daily
>log of the weather?
>Have there been any notable
>storms in the area?

I've been watching for the last month or so. Basically because I'll be in Thailand this time next year. The leaves on the beach really wouldn't happen. It's just that hot that it seems like it would.

If I were picking teams on this one, the geeky kid with the glasses would be the first one picked. There will be no problems with getting enough sun to lite a fire.

-------------------------
Survivor Thailand - 2002
Out Click, Out Link, Out Post
http://www.survivorthailand.com

07-01-02, 10:42 PM (EST)
19. "Getting Worse Again"
July 1 Isolated T-Storms (high/low) na/79 (precip %) 40%
July 2 Isolated T-Storms 91/79 40%
July 3 Isolated T-Storms 91/78 40%
July 4 Scattered T-Storms 90/78 50%
July 5 Scattered T-Storms 90/78 50%
July 6 Scattered T-Storms 90/78 40%
July 7 Isolated T-Storms 90/78 40%
July 8 Scattered T-Storms 90/77 50%
July 9 T-Storms 90/77 70%
July 10 T-Storms 90/77 70%

Hope someone else can check this July 10 or 11.

HongKongFooey 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

07-02-02, 02:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HongKongFooey Click to send private message to HongKongFooey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "It ain't as bad as all that"
The actual temperatures and humidity levels as well as the amount of rainfall figures are quite mis-leading.
To qualify what I say I should say I've been to Phuket numerous times and adore the Kingdom of Thailand.

For sure, if you spend any amount of time inland, and in particularly Bangkok (the capital) the overall heat and humidity, coupled with the traffic and pollution makes the place, in August, almost unbearable. In fact I'd go as far as to say you'd be hard pushed to experience a more oppressive climate.

However once you get out to the islands the situation is very different.

Firstly the temperatures will feel much lower when you take in to accout the on-shore (in the morning) and off-shore (in the evening) breezes. These can be very pleasant indeed.

Secondly you will never experience 2 solid days of rainfall. It can be hot and muggy in the morning and then usually around 3pm you get this almighty downpour that can last 2/3 hours. It can also rain very heavily during the night where major temperature variations are experienced. And when the rains have fell the air is fresher, and the downpour obliterates the humidity - and cleans the skin in the process. Invigorating would be the word.

Having said all of that I'm used to banana milkshakes by the bucketload during the day and ice cold beers and local whiskey throughout the night, so my judgement cannot be accurately applied to the situation our survivors face.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-02, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: It ain't as bad as all that"
Welcome to our little place, HKFooey! Thanks for the tidbits on the weather as it sounds less oppressive the way you've described it, but I do wonder how it will all play out on TV as constant rainfall can make for some cranky bedmates that may or may not have some impact on game strategy.

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

07-02-02, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: It ain't as bad as all that"
LAST EDITED ON 07-02-02 AT 03:40 PM (EST)

Welcome, HKFooey! I hope you will stick around for all the spoiling fun. We would appreciate your insights and knowledge regarding Phuket.

If the rainfall time is semi-predictable, then Burnett can probably be fairly successful at either avoiding rain for challenges, or using the rain to make some challenges even more difficult or the players more miserable.

Edit: spelling, spelling.

Swami

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

07-03-02, 04:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ra_8secs Click to send private message to Ra_8secs Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "rain & sun, etc."
Monsoon's not that bad, actually. Here's my analysis with help from all who've posted earlier.

Point 1: Rain may be cyclical, morning and late pm, putting a premium on protecting the FIRE. That's a good campground skill.

Point 2: Agree w/ someone about tropical monsoon rain not alleviating any humidity. But that's what Mark B wants, eh? -- hot, wet, skin-exposed bodies!

Point 3: Rain is fresh water. The ingeniuous will use it for fresh water. Did I just say ingenuine meaning liar or in-like get smart?

Point 4: I love playing summer basketball in the rain. (Nothting to do with Survivor, I know, but maybe they can fashion up a basket. That's a cool luxury item -- a basketball!

Point 5: There is no point five.

and hugs and sunshine for all, Ra

Q 2569 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

07-15-02, 01:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Q Click to send private message to Q Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Weather Updates"
Do not know the particulars, maybe someone can check on them, but over the weekend, I noticed that there are severe rains in the indonesian/southeast asian area? The storm looked huge. Anyone know of any details, or if this would effect the area near S5 filming??

Just a thought. Also, The filming should be coming to an end soon? We are at approximately 35 days are we not?

Later all,

D.R.

07-19-02, 02:30 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Weather Updates"
Daphne at SurvivorFever compiled a great chart following the weather in Thailand -- http://www.survivorfever.net/s5w.html

Conditions seem to have remained fairly stable, if this chart holds up, but the timeline seems fairly well established anyway.

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-13-02, 11:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Weather Updates"
LAST EDITED ON 08-13-02 AT 11:01 PM (EST)

I've just started wondering about this:

How exactly does one pronounce the word "Phuket"?

I've been pronouncing it (pyoo - ket`).

But one can also make it rhyme with Nantuckett if you know what I'm sayin'. Hehehe...

I seriously hope it's the first one, or a variation; just not the second one. :-P

clemsonbeav

P.S. I move into my dorm (yay!) on Saturday (8/17)! Go Tigers!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •