The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-30-02, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
We all heard about Survivor's "disappointing" ratings during S3 and S4. Well, all I can say is that every network would like to endure such a disappointment. Airing against "Friends", S3 and S4 ended up as the #4 and #5 programs of the year, and its lead-in numbers propelled "CSI" to the #2 slot, as well as killing off both "Leap of Faith" and "Inside Schwartz" (the NBC programs that followed "Friends"), which were cancelled because of the way S3 and S4 pummelled them in the ratings. After 20+ years of dominance, stretching back to 1980, NBC's stranglehold on Thursday nights has been broken, and Survivor did it.

It's hard to believe, but "Survivor" is probably the most valuable franchise on TV right now, since "Friends" appears to be coming to a close in 2003. No wonder CBS picked up S6.

Here's the zap2it.com final ratings story:

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?26206

'Friends' Ends Season on Top
Wed, May 29, 2002 06:40 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The 2001-02 TV season began with "Friends" as the most-watched program on the six major networks.

It ended that way as well, as NBC's eight-year-old sitcom finished atop the Nielsen rankings for the first time in its history. The show averaged 24.46 million viewers per week for the season. Even its reruns did well -- the old shows NBC aired at 8:30 p.m. Thursdays late in the season drew an average audience of 18.55 million, good for the No. 8 spot.

NBC had 11 programs among the top 20 in total viewers, while CBS had seven. "Monday Night Football" (16.99 million) and its pregame show (14.49 million) -- which Nielsen counts as a separate program -- were the only ABC shows in the top 20.

"CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," which averaged 23.69 million viewers, dethroned NBC's "ER" (22.11 million) as the top drama on TV. The CBS drama about a Las Vegas crime-lab team was No. 2 overall, bumping "ER" to third.

"Survivor" continued its strong run for CBS, with the "Marquesas" and "Africa" editions of the game finishing fourth and fifth, respectively. NBC's "Law & Order" improved over last year, a somewhat remarkable feat for a 12-year-old series.

Two shows in the top 20 won't be returning next season. Both "Leap of Faith" (16.49 million) and "Inside Schwartz" (15.11 million) bled viewers from their "Friends" lead-in. At the other end of the scale, The WB's "JKX: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment" and "Off Centre" will both be back next season, despite averaging just 2.73 million and 2.26 million viewers, respectively.

Following is a list of the top 20 regular programs on the six major networks for the 2001-02 season. Shows must have aired at least four times to be counted in the rankings; specials and sporting events (other than "Monday Night Football") are excluded.

Final Network Rankings
RANK-PROGRAM-NETWORK-VIEWERS
1 Friends NBC 24,462,000
2 CSI CBS 23,694,000
3 ER NBC 22,110,000
4 Survivor: Marquesas CBS 20,768,000
5 Survivor: Africa CBS 20,690,000

6 Everybody Loves Raymond CBS 20,028,000
7 Law & Order NBC 18,679,000
8 Friends (8:30 p.m.) NBC 18,554,000
9 Will & Grace NBC 17,273,000
10 The West Wing NBC 17,218,000

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... BMH 05-30-02 1
 F@$^%^ Friends PagongRatEater 05-30-02 2
   RE: F@$^%^ Friends managerr 05-30-02 3
 RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... JohnMc 05-31-02 4
   RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... Kokoro 05-31-02 5
       RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... JohnMc 05-31-02 6
           RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... Kokoro 05-31-02 7
           RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... heymikey 06-01-02 10
 RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... Survivor Freak 1987 06-01-02 8
 RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... katem 06-01-02 9
   RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... Survivorerist 06-10-02 11
       RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The ... SurvivinDawg 06-11-02 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

BMH 845 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-30-02, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BMH Click to send private message to BMH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
Haha..and everyone said that after the disappointing survivor 3 season..survivor was doomed..but Survivor Marquesas actually beat Survivor 3 in ratingz..Survivor 3 people should be ashamed haha..!

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

05-30-02, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "F@$^%^ Friends"
I was so disgusted to hear that bunch of spares decided to come back for yet another season of tedious sitting around the coffee bar. I don't know about you, but I haven't got the foggiest idea how these people afford HUGE New York apartments with the obvious lack of work ethic they display on the show. As for the actors, at least they are marginally smarter than the characters that they play since they figured out that they have NOTHING once this show goes off the air.

I can't wait until next season when Survivor trounces this waste of a 30 minute time slot.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-30-02, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: F@$^%^ Friends"
Not to mention NBC pays the cast of friends in one episode *more* than CBS pays its 32 media hos for two whole seasons of Survivor! I think it was Les Moonves that said in terms of financial profitability, no show can come close to Survivor.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-31-02, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
<<No wonder CBS picked up S6.>>

They did??!! That's great news - where is the official announcement that they did this? I thought that they had only signed up for one installment of S5.

BTW, great link to Zap2it - another thing to point out (even though this probably belongs in Fanatics or the AR board) is that AR2 fared better than AR1. Definitely some growth in reality tv... for the good shows at least.

(And what is up with having the mole for Another Boring Crappy season? The only thing worse than that is BB3!)

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-31-02, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
<<(And what is up with having the mole for Another Boring Crappy season? The only thing worse than that is BB3!)>>

Shhhhh! Those are the only shows us junkies have to support ourselves for the summer! ^_^

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

JohnMc 2679 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-31-02, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JohnMc Click to send private message to JohnMc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
Oh, Koko, you poor thing. Let me get you an aspirin... because you are SICK!!!

Reality TV pros and cons

Pros - Survivor, Amazing Race

Cons - BB, Mole

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-31-02, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
lol they're not that bad - there are plenty of C-list reality shows to go around....

-----------------------------------
Now let us never speak of S3 again.

heymikey 238 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

06-01-02, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heymikey Click to send private message to heymikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
>>> Cons - BB, Mole

They are not that bad. I actually like both shows. At least they're a lot better than the other reality shows such as The Bachelor, Temptation Island, and No Boundaries.

Survivor Freak 1987 47 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

06-01-02, 01:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivor%20Freak%201987 Click to send private message to Survivor%20Freak%201987 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
Personaly, I couldn't say it better than you Pagong. You stole the words out of my mouth.
You are all figments of my imagination! Now go away!

katem 3315 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-01-02, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail katem Click to send private message to katem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
From everything I have read about this very subject, they all referred to Africa as a disappointment because S2 was the #1 rated show of the previous season.

But then Marquesas actually slightly improved in ratings, and they realized that Survivor's ratings had actually not really fallen, per se, they had just leveled off.

The ratings for both seasons are pretty equal, the show's huge buzz has died, as it happens with every show, but the ratings have stayed high and giving the network a truly strong lead in for their real megahit CSI.

Survivor is not going anywhere. It's staying right where it is. Lets just hope EMB really did realize that S3 was horrible and needs the great casting of S4.

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

06-10-02, 11:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
>>>Lets just hope EMB really did realize that S3 was horrible and needs the great casting of S4.<<<

Personally, I don't believe it was the casting that made S3 "suck" so much as the location. While I will agree that the S4 cast was better, I'd also say that most of the thanks can go out to the fact that they had an interesting locale with good climate where they didn't have to sit around all day because it was so darn hot and spend half their time standing on guard against animals. If S3's cast were in the Marquesas or somewhere similar, I think we would have seen a lot more out of them.

=======================

Survivorerist - Oh where oh where did my sig pic go?

(Courtesy of Strider )

"Oh my heck, I'm so very glad that that's over. The 2001-2 television season was, for this sofa spud, cruelly and unusually punishing."
-Antonia Zerbisias, The Toronto Star

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

06-11-02, 06:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Ratings: Survivor Is Still The One"
Personally, I don't believe it was the casting that made S3 "suck" so much as the location.

In S3, I think it was some of both casting and location, and throw in the fact that people got tired of watching players suffer. I think people tune in to watch people survive (which explains the popularity of "Frontier House"), not suffer. In S4 they survived, in S3 they suffered through it.

As to cast, however, I'll take Vee, Sean, Sarah and her fluffypillows, Neleh, John, Da Robfadder, and even Zoe over the God-awful likes of Lindsey, LilBitKim, Brandon, Silas (ugh!), Lex, Tom and MamaKim *ANY* day. The S3 cast was just awful! Add to it the dull, brown never-ending African plain, and MB was lucky S3 didn't turn out far worse than it did.

"Pappy didn't get voted off, he got stoned!" -- dabo

*** Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •