The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Stop WAR in Ukraine ! http://twitter.com/@euromaidan
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheist"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Trading Spouses / Wife Swap Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Nobodyelse 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-05-10, 02:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Nobodyelse Click to send private message to Nobodyelse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis..."
I really enjoyed this episode. I actually hadn't seen the show until today, and I was surprised at first by the suggestion. Sometimes Christians and Atheists don't mix. A lot of the time they do, but when I saw the beginning of the episode, total freedom vs total protection, I knew the issue went even deeper than religion.
Jinxi was probably one of the nicest on the show, and I was a little disappointed (I'm a Christian, by the way) that BM didn't try to approach the situation with love and understanding. An adult has had their belief for their entire life in most cases, and it would take a lot more than two weeks to get them to change it. Trying to do so would only irritate the other person, as was proven. And trying to make children pray to your god is just wrong, even if they are just meaningless words to the kids. They're impressionable, and the parents should get to make the impressions inside the household, not strangers.
Like everyone was saying earlier, they obviously didn't use all the footage. How could they possibly? I was glad that Derryl became more open-minded at the end, because that Christian household was pretty scary. Even if you can't buy your own clothes, you should at least be able to pick from the pile. You really can't dress your kids through college, and if they don't experience the real world themselves, they will be even more likely to fall into a bad crowd. So I was glad that Jinxi and Derryl worked it out eventually.
Obviously watching the show with my background, some of the things Steve said were very insulting, but I do understand that taken out of context it can seem worse than it is. Plus, this was mostly in retaliation to BM making him preach. The atheist household seemed a bit too loose on the kids (not in terms of religion), but I can't really make judgments, and I certainly wouldn't want to. The kids were strong in their (dis)beliefs, so they obviously knew what they were talking about, to an extent.
The only place where I was on BM's side was with that Devil costume thing. I would have no problem wearing a devil costume for Halloween (if I went out anymore), but she did have a problem with it, and they shouldn't have forced it on her. She probably still would've had Bible sesssions and stuff, but this probably helped to accelerate how much she wanted to regulate the lifestyle in the house.
Overall, I think everyone learned something, even if they didn't take it too much to heart. Some people learned more than others, some people had more to learn than others. Religion is an important aspect of a person's life, but it shouldn't be used as a crutch or a defining characteristic in someone. I know bad Christians and good Christians, and neither of them are the way they are only because of their religion. I'm glad the daughter gets to hang out with her friends now, and I'm glad the son has his drum set (sorry, didn't remember all the kids' names). Hopefully everyone benefited, and maybe this kind of situation where someone is forced to face their opposite can actually resolve religious & non-religious intolerance. We can always hope.
  Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheist   nazpink     01-09-07       
   RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   kim101770     01-09-07     1  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   nazpink     01-09-07     2  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   AshLanie     01-09-07     3  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   SteveCaddel     01-13-07     6  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   jessiluv06     07-24-07     23  
   RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   Jenoc99     01-10-07     4  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   SteveCaddel     01-13-07     7  
         Response from a heavily modified ch...   jraschko     06-26-07     15  
   RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   SteveCaddel     01-13-07     5  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   AshLanie     01-13-07     8  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   SteveCaddel     01-13-07     9  
             RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   AshLanie     01-13-07     11  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   nazpink     01-13-07     10  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   Jadens Mommy     01-17-07     12  
             RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   AshLanie     01-18-07     14  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   Jadens Mommy     01-17-07     13  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   mistyrose52     06-26-07     16  
             RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   tomatohead     06-26-07     17  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   tomatohead     06-26-07     18  
         RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   mistyrose52     06-29-07     19  
         WARNING - tomatohead and mistyrose5...   Bebo     06-29-07     20  
             RE: WARNING - tomatohead and mistyr...   mistyrose52     06-29-07     21  
   RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   jessiluv06     07-24-07     22  
     RE: Wife Swap Christians vs. Atheis...   Nobodyelse     06-05-10     24  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •