The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"will Kathy play to win?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

third1 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

05-11-02, 02:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail third1 Click to send private message to third1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"will Kathy play to win?"
Big breath....one post down and didn't get yelled at ...so here goes again...the BIG question seems to be which set of alliances will Kathy join?....In editing of her visit with her son Patrick, Kathy asks him a question "are you okay for money?" , the only time I recall anyone in Survivor actually expressing a concern over personal finances and indicated (to me) that Patrick is not independent of her and which could have been heard by all. Kathy knows which alliance she should join to best her chances for a win ..K/S/V...and that means voting against Paschal, which quite a few posters seem to think will turn the jury against her...I think the need to win the money , and not downplaying Kathy's natural competitive spirit, will compel her to 'play the game'. I think the jury usually respects someone who plays well. and this jury will be composed of members who also respect gamers,J/T/R esp,and Z who she had a close tie with, and if I am clearthinking, P would not hold a grudge if she stepped over to S/V and voted him out as her strongest 'adversary' along with N...she would not really be 'turncoating' as she has not declared alliance with anyone in Soliantu...single mom, son at home, cash tight?...Jeff stressed 'gamemanship' in the last council and directed it at Kathy...okay...hit me with your thoughts please

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: will Kathy play to win? JeffGator 05-11-02 1
   Money MattyMax 05-11-02 3
       RE: Money managerr 05-11-02 4
       RE: Money potatochip 05-11-02 5
       RE: Money third1 05-11-02 6
       RE: Money samiam 05-12-02 10
           RE: Money MattyMax 05-12-02 11
           RE: Money Solitaire 05-13-02 16
   RE: will Kathy play to win? PepeLePew13 05-12-02 9
 Kathy's loaded ShowMeTheWinner 05-11-02 7
   RE: Kathy's loaded third1 05-12-02 8
   RE: Kathy's loaded Bruddah Max 05-12-02 12
 RE: will Kathy play to win? samboohoo 05-13-02 13
 My take Wacko Jacko 05-13-02 14
   RE: My take simone 05-13-02 17
 RE: will Kathy play to win? steppingrazor42 05-13-02 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-11-02, 03:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: will Kathy play to win?"
Great post, third1 because I think you exposed something here that could be important:

In editing of her visit with her son Patrick, Kathy asks him a question "are you okay for money?" , the only time I recall anyone in Survivor actually expressing a concern over personal finances and indicated (to me) that Patrick is not independent of her and which could have been heard by all.

If she does indeed have a concern over personal finances, this could also cause her to sympathize with and ally with the players who are in most need of the money. This would favor Sean/Vee over Neleh/Paschal.

Sean is a school teacher and we all know that teachers don't get paid anywhere near what they deserve.

Vee is an office manager which also can be very low pay.

On the other hand we have:

Paschal is a judge whose salary is quite possibly in the 6 digit figures. Needless to say, I'm sure he's very wealthy.

Neleh is a good student at college who is still being supported by her parents. She shouldn't have any financial concerns for a while.

If Kathy does consider which people need the money more, she will definitely go over to the Sean/Vee side.

Let's not forget money is a factor on Survivor--
1.Carl was voted off of Survivor before any of his fellow older tribemates in Samburu because he was so wealthy.
2.Rodger sacrificed himself for Elisabeth, because he felt she needed the money more than he did.
3.Colleen voted for Kelly W. over Rich in the Final 2 because she felt that Rich was well off and that Kelly W. needed the money.
4.Probably other examples I can't think of.

I'm not saying Kathy will definitely switch to the S/V side just because they need the money more, but it's definitely something for her to consider when making her decision.

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-11-02, 08:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MattyMax Click to send private message to MattyMax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Money"
Hmm... I don't agree with all of Jeff's views of what kind of money people have.

SEAN- Definitly doesn't have much. He is a Schoolteacher in Harlem. Lowest of the Public Sector teaching spectrum.

PASCHAL- If he's a Judge then he is being payed well, although my friends dad is a judge who left his post for the private sector because there wasn't enough money in it so that he could send his kids to college.

BUT

NELEH- Jeff, You say that she is a good student at a University, and that she probably won't have any money problems. Now, I'm a student at a university, too, and what I'm going to be doing afterwards is a big concern. We know that she doesn't have a job, or probably any savings. Her parents may support her, but they might not once she gets out of school (I know mine aren't supporting me.) Does anybody know how big Neleh's family is?

VEE-
<<Vee is an office manager which also can be very low pay.>> Ehh... I wouldn't say this. If anything, the fact that she is a MANAGER means that she is in the middle to the upper realm of the totem pole/pay scale of the office. She is a white collar worker. While she doesn't strike me as wealthy, she does strike me as someone who is comfortable. Her clothes & her demeanor are very LLBean. She has no children, and is about to double her income with a marriage.

KATHY-
She is divorced and has a son, but her son is ugly, I mean grown. Unless all he does is sit on the couch all day, he might support himself to some extent. Even so, Kathy doesn't strike me as someone who is 'moneyed'. This probably would come into play if she went up against Paschal.

MattyMax

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-02, 11:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Money"
What we see in the players that aren't playing 100% to win, is that they vote out players in terms of who is "deserving" to continue. Deserving being subjective. While I'm sure finances are important to Kathy, her motivating factor seems to be *honesty*. She will go with the players who she feels were the most honest to her. In this case it's Neleh and Pascal.

And this is just a total stereotypical judgement, but if Pappy were really loaded, he'd have known what creme broulee was....

potatochip 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-11-02, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail potatochip Click to send private message to potatochip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Money"
Neleh has a large family... according to the CBS website she has SEVEN brothers and sisters (five brothers, Tom, John, Devin, Nathan and Landon, and two sisters, McKenna and Robyn).

05-11-02, 11:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail third1 Click to send private message to third1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Money"
Just a few notes:

Sean is a teacher in South Central LA...probable income level is not much better than Harlem tho.
Neleh is working full-time,student part-time and living at home with parents.
Vecepia's income is probably not going to change as she is already living with her fiancee...
Presumably Paschal's income is free of mortgage and child rearing costs as both of his children are out of the home.
For Kathy, a real-estate agent's income is notoriously unstable with high's and low's..in today's marketplace, probably struggling.

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-12-02, 10:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Money"
Ehh... I wouldn't say this. If anything, the fact that she is a MANAGER means that she is in the middle to the upper realm of the totem pole/pay scale of the office

*snort* Doubt it. If she were an office *administrator*, she might be making some money; they are usually folks with serious management and business experience. An office MANAGER tends to be a glorified secretary/admin. assistant, and while the salary can range widely, she is most assuredly NOT making in the "middle to upper realm" of the office pay scale...unless you were talking solely the secretarial staff's pay scale.

YMMV, but I'm going on personal experience here...

"You are a fluke of the Universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back." - Tony Hendra, Deteriorata

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-12-02, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MattyMax Click to send private message to MattyMax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Money"
I was thinking that Vee might be payed well as a manager because she works at a Software Development Company, and as a manager she could be above the nerds who write the code, who are payed pretty well.

But, she could be the shipping manager.

PS, Samiam, what does YMMV mean?

MM

Solitaire 103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-13-02, 07:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Solitaire Click to send private message to Solitaire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Money"
Agreed on office managers not being big-money positions. I worked as an office manager for a summer when I was 19 and made $9/hour--and that's Canadian money, too. (A permanent person probably would have made about $12/hour...not much more.)

Generally, office managers are people working for small businesses doing all of the general office work--answering the phone, keeping records, and maybe some accounting. If Vee were working for a larger company, she'd have a more specific title. I don't know of anyone working as an office manager that even makes more than $30,000/year (again, in Canadian dollars, so it's about $20,000 US)

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-02, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: will Kathy play to win?"

>If she does indeed have a concern over personal finances, this
>could also cause her to sympathize with and ally with
>the players who are in most need of the money.
>This would favor Sean/Vee over Neleh/Paschal.

To me, this is all the more reason to ally with N/P. She could build an argument that Pappy's more comfortable financially so he's a little less desperate to do whatever it takes to win the game as compared to Sean/Vee.

I think Kathy's the ruthless type of person (you got to be that way in the ultra-competitive real estate business) so she'll strategize and do whatever it takes to win the game while still playing fair.

>Neleh is a good student at college who is still being
>supported by her parents. She shouldn't have any financial
>concerns for a while.

No... but all students want money!

GO HABS!
"I'm the General and that's that."
Robert DeCanio, April 11/02

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-11-02, 11:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Kathy's loaded"
...single mom, son at home, cash tight?...

Kathy's loaded. If you go to her website at http://www.kathyobrien.com/yourstruly3.html you'll see that she earns quite a lot of money.

A quote from her website: "Now, in 2002, I am the #2 agent at Lang Associates, the #1 agency in northern Vermont with sales of $25,000,000!" Assuming she just gets a 1% cut of her sales, she'd have gotten at least $250,000 per year. More than comfortable enough to raise a child by herself.

05-12-02, 10:20 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Kathy's loaded"
Great sleuthing! Was information new to me, and does give one pause for thought. Still think with her history of having been a small business owner over and over, and the independence and tenacity required of the realtor, she won't give up easily and will go for the win and realize that no one's 'feelings' are going to be hurt if she takes the main chance of a Paschal boot.

Bruddah Max 20 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-02, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bruddah%20Max Click to send private message to Bruddah%20Max Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Kathy's loaded"
LAST EDITED ON 05-12-02 AT 09:23 PM (EST)

>Kathy's loaded. If you go to
>her website at http://www.kathyobrien.com/yourstruly3.html you'll
>see that she earns quite
>a lot of money.

not necessarily…

>A quote from her website: "Now,
>in 2002, I am the
>#2 agent at Lang Associates,
>the #1 agency in northern
>Vermont with sales of
>$25,000,000!" Assuming she just gets
>a 1% cut of her
>sales, she'd have gotten at
>least $250,000 per year. More
>than comfortable enough to raise
>a child by herself.

that $25,000,000 in sales was for Lang Associates, not for Kathy specifically. she is also not the #1 agent there. what you would have to do is find out how many total agents there are, what the distribution as a percentage of total sales Kathy's #2 agent share is, and then what her commission on sales averages. she could be making only $60,000 to $70,000 or so on average and maybe $85,000 in a good year. financially comfortable? sure. but this doesn't fall into my definition of "loaded". she'd still be someone who would benefit greatly from a $720,000 influx.

then again, maybe she is indeed "loaded" as theorized. i don't think the $25,000,000 sales figure can be used to directly extrapolate Kathy's income level, though. oh well.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-13-02, 10:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: will Kathy play to win?"
I think Kathy was just making sure that the money she left him had not run out yet. Kathy and her son did a lot of talking about how the game has made her a different person, and neither of them likes this new person. She also made comments about her loyalty to Neleh and Pappy and that she's going to finish what she started. So does that mean win the game no matter what, or stay committed to N/P? I don't think she needs the money -- I think she just wanted the adventure.

Also, back in the recap show, we saw a bonding moment between Gina and Kathy. Then Kathy makes a comment about taking Gina to Alaska to get her that restaurant. Maybe this means nothing, but MB could have handed us the winner right here.

Wacko Jacko 2438 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-13-02, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wacko%20Jacko Click to send private message to Wacko%20Jacko Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "My take"
She will stick with Paschal and Neleh. When it comes time she will stick to her word that she made with Paschal and Neleh.

This is not to say that she won't win the $1,000,000 and she knows even if she goes with Paschal and Neleh she could still win.

Vee or Sean are going this week. My bet is Vee is the one. Paschal, Neleh, and Kathy will think they stand a better chance against Sean and have not really been shown to have a close relationship with Vee either. They seem to like Sean more.

simone 52 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-13-02, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail simone Click to send private message to simone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: My take"
I agree that she will stick with Paschal and Neleh. As far as I can see, she has followed her emotions - not her head - when it comes to alliances and voting. It would probably be better for her to go up against Sean or Vee in the Final Two, but I can't see her betraying Paschal or Neleh for them, simply because she thinks they are her friends. And Kathy has a pretty long track record so far of voting for people she thinks have slighted her, who happen to be the people who were in the other alliance.

My take is: I don't see where the whole "Kathy is a strategic and cunning player" thing came from. What has she done? She didn't "survive" in Rotu through cunning - she would have been gone in a minute if they had lost immunity. When she got to Maraaamu, she faced two tribal councils, and both times, there were people who were more eligible for the boot than her (Sarah for being lazy and in the minority original tribe, and Gina for being in the minority). Since the merge, what has she done that was sneaky/smart? If Rob hadn't lied to her or if Zoe had been a more convincing liar, she would have signed on to be the fifth member of the Rotu Four because Zoe was her friend. She voted for Zoe because she lied to her - it was a personal slight and so she made a personal vote. She went and talked to Sean etc. because she felt betrayed by Zoe and the others. Even then, she was not in control of the formation of the alliance of five - it was the Rotu Four's arrogance and Paschal and Neleh's (really just Neleh's) realization that their asses were on the line. Since then, she's coasted with the five, not trying to get herself a "partner" like everyone else. If she were a strategic player, why didn't she recruit Robert and coax Sean and Vee to vote against Neleh? All she would have had to say is "come with me and we'll be the final four." But no, she stuck with the majority. There are so few people at this point and she is a strong enough competitor that she may get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's because she played well - IMO she's just been in the right place at the right time.

This probably should go on bashers. It's just been so frustrating to watch these people, who've almost all had chances to ensure that they got into the final four, piss it away. (Hey Vee and Sean, V+S+T+R > K+P+N = a ticket into the FF) The five left are here because they got offended because somebody had the gall to form an alliance, oh my! And so the sheep formed their own, only they want to pretend they are soooo honorable and would never ever form a nasty alliance, and now one of them is going to get voted off, and they're going to be sad, and it's all their godd*amn fault, by (oh my) heck.

OK, that's probably enough off that. The point of it all is, I don't think Kathy is going to be thinking smart or strategically about this. I think she's going to either vote on her own or hang around with Paschal and Neleh, and, in either case, bust her ass trying to win immunity because she thinks that's the only way to do it.

I hope there was some speculation value (if speculation really has value) in all this. I'm sorry for the rant. Please forgive me - at least it's not a chart.

steppingrazor42 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-13-02, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail steppingrazor42 Click to send private message to steppingrazor42 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: will Kathy play to win?"
If Kathy's going to play to win she has win the IC's to the end and take either Vee or Neleh with her to the F2. I don't think she can win against Sean or Pappy. Depending on who wins the IC this week, she should try to break up both alliances. Everyone seems pretty loyal right now, maybe Vee would be the easiest to sway. I think tribal lines will stick this week and Sean or Vee will be gone. Kathy might be too freaked about knocking out P/N, although she has to know the jury isn't loving them right now anyway.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •