The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-19-09, 09:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-09 AT 07:40 AM (EST)

Well, its been a fun season, but this was the last performance show, so this is the last rankings thread. So sad...

Round One - Dreaded 'Repeat Song'
------------------------------------
The song choices were not surprising. "Mad Word" was Adam's best performance during the season, and he reprised it in a very goth way. Vocals were good, but I have to agree with Simon, a little over the top performance wise.

Kris also picked his best song of the seaon and hit it out of the park, even surpassing the original performance.

Round one goes to Kris

Round Two - Odd Simon Fuller Picks
-------------------------------------
Let me say this out front. I think if the songs would have been reversed in terms of who sang them, the outcome would have been more interesting. Adam gets the more 'performance based song', and nails it. Kris gets the more boring song. Surprise. I think Kris did well, but how much can one do with "What's Going On"?

Round Two goes to Adam

Round Three - The Drecky Coronation Song
--------------------------------------------
And let me tell you, perhaps the most dreckful song ever on Idol? Wow...What a terrible song.

This song DID.NOT.FIT.ADAM.AT.ALL. And for Kris they make him sing it in a key way too high for him. WTF?!

The song fits Kris much more, and even with losing some high notes, it was a much better performance.

Round Three goes to Kris by a hair.

This should be a very very close vote. Not sure what to predict.

geekboy

*** Edited to fix my horrendous spelling last night.

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Ahtumbreez 05-20-09 1
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Glow 05-20-09 2
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 kingfish 05-20-09 3
   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Glow 05-20-09 4
       RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 AyaK 05-20-09 7
           RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Glow 05-20-09 8
               RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 kingfish 05-20-09 10
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 AyaK 05-20-09 5
   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 nailbone 05-20-09 21
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 emydi 05-20-09 6
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Tahj 05-20-09 9
   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 sica077 05-20-09 13
       RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Tahj 05-20-09 14
           RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 sica077 05-20-09 15
               RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Tahj 05-20-09 16
                   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 kingfish 05-20-09 23
                       RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Tahj 05-20-09 25
               RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Glow 05-20-09 17
                   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 DoodleBug 05-20-09 18
                       RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Glow 05-20-09 19
                   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 geekboy 05-20-09 20
                       RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Tazluli 05-20-09 24
                   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 sica077 05-21-09 28
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 DoodleBug 05-20-09 11
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 SilverStar 05-20-09 12
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 nailbone 05-20-09 22
   RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 sica077 05-20-09 26
 RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8 Belle Book 05-20-09 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Ahtumbreez 10456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-20-09, 07:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ahtumbreez Click to send private message to Ahtumbreez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
I'm just going to ditto you here.

For a finale that I was excited about this was such a letdown. David Cook gave a much more interesting and energetic performance last year. It's what I expected of these two or at least Adam and neither came close.

I thought Fuller would be better at picking a song than Nigel but I was wrong. And the Idol song? That was absolutely horrid.

Mangalicious by The Slice
09/25/2008 Bre left for Iraq
04/29/2009 Bre left Iraq
06/09/2009 Bre gets a hug from Mom

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 07:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Ditto.
Though, I must admit, I liked Fuller's choices. I thought they were pretty right on. I loved them both but Adam's "A Change Is Gonna Come" won for me. Slightly.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 08:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Round one: Adam. It had Kris's best performance, one of the few I've enjoyed by him, and really quite good. But Adam blazed, that repeat was better than the first. Wow.

Round 2: Adam. Killer performance, as usual. Mesmerizing. Kris "What's going on" was just anemic. The first time it was one of the worst performances he had, and this time it was no better. He's better on the piano than the guitar, at least with the time he has to pick up a tune.

Round 3: Adam. Both had their worst performance in this round, but while I actually came around to enjoying Adams version, I though Kris was just lost up there, he was boring. (Kara, that was a crappy, self indulgent song. Poo on you.)

Adam had two outstanding "hit" quality performances, and Kris had one. IMO Adam punched through easily.

I kinda enjoyed Carrie Underwood's performance.

05-20-09, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
"Kris "What's going on" was just anemic. The first time it was one of the worst performances he had, and this time it was no better."

If he did this before, I slept through it thus making this one better.

"He's better on the piano than the guitar, at least with the time he has to pick up a tune."

I think Kris is an wonderful musician. I love, LOVE the subtle changes he makes to songs. He has made every song he sang very much a Kris song both in the way he sings them and the way he arranges them. A lot of that is due heavily to the guitar. If he wants to play the guitar and make those gorgeously subtle changes come from his very own fingertips, I'm game.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 09:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-09 AT 09:07 AM (EST)

Kris never sang this. In Motown week, he sang Holland-Dozier-Holland's "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)", which Gaye originally recorded, but he seemed to follow James Taylor's version more closely.

Edited to add: Smokey Robinson liked his guitar playing a lot. I'll leave it at that.

05-20-09, 09:07 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Good. I thought I was slipping. Thanks, AyaK.

05-20-09, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Those were different songs? Man, they blended in my mind.

OK, I believe y'all. But it does say something to me about the blandness (to me) of both performances.

All I saw him do was do a few bar chords, with some dramatic strumming when he up-tempoed.

It is difficult to master complicated guitar lines in the time they are given to the point where you can perform them on stage, especially since they are also asked to get two other songs together, so I wouldn't criticize his guitar ability (I actually assume he can play well) as much as his decision to not use the best guitar player available and just stick to his strength, which should be the vocals. That's why I would advise him to get one of those studio guys. That guy who was on stage with Adam really added to Adam's performance. Mostly he just played fillers, but with such great touch and with a ballsy blues feel that went so well with Adams vocals.

I was delighted with the subtlety of Kris’s piano work.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
The hard part here is that this was an amazing final 2, although not an amazing night of performances. I agree that it's Idol's best final pair since Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice in season 4. In fact, either one would be 's best winner since Carrie.

Overall ranking for the finale, surprising as it is:

1) Kris. Great performance on "Ain't No Sunshine". "What's Going On" was always a lousy song, and Kris did it as well as could be expected without duplicating Marvin Gaye's production. If Simon wanted to give Kris a socially conscious song that would have been interesting, I would have loved to see him tackle Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" or even Frank Zappa's "Trouble Coming Every Day" (which is ripe for rearrangement) -- but Simon may not know those songs. Kara's song sucked, but they both sucked on it.

2) Adam. I love his version of "Mad Love". I was a little disappointed in "A Change Is Gonna Come", but it reminded me that I was never a Sam Cooke fan; I always thought his songs were overrated (of course, he was dead before I ever heard them, so maybe that made a difference). I would have loved to have heard Adam on a real vocal-driven folk song, such as one of P.F. Sloan's many topical hits from the 1960s (how about "Let's Live for Today"? "Let Me Be"? "Oh, society's goal is to be part of the whole/That may sound good to you, not to me." or "I am what I am, and that's all I ever can be.") Kara's song sucked, but they both sucked on it.

Nevertheless, I voted for Adam as overall winner.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
The hard part here is that this was an amazing final 2, although not an amazing night of performances. I agree that it's Idol's best final pair since Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice in season 4.

I agree. In fact, I didn't vote at all because either would be fine with me.

In fact, either one would be 's best winner since Carrie.

Gotta disagree with this one. I think Cook is at least as good as either of them.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 09:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
These are my overall (they should have reversed the order of the songs and shot Kara for that abomination at end), just happened to be in order of type of song

1. Kris Ain't no Sunshine-this was best of nite by far, even better than first time around

2. Adam Mad World-this was very good too and better than 1st time for me

3. Kris What's going on-this was better for me by a long mile. I wished Fuller had picked better songs for both of them. more contemporary pick for Kris and more of a glam rock for Adam.

4. Adam Sam Cooke-too much screeching for me and Adam should never sing the blues it's so anti-Adam

5. Adam Drek-it was better bc he has more range

6. Kris Drek V.2-he messed up a word and it was too high for him... nice Kara you useless piece of... Thank God Simon said something.

Overall avg:

Kris 10: 3.33
Adam 11: 3.66

Kris by a nose

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-20-09, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Overall I thought the evening a disappointment.

I thought Adam was better on everything except for Kris's "Ain't No Sunshine."

The original song just blew major chunks. I hated it. I don't think Adam sang it well but Kris just massacred it. I mean puh- lease! Anyone who thought Kris sang that better than Adam must have had cotton in their ears.

It's a Tribe!

sica077 523 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-20-09, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Sorry, I guess I was plagued with the "cotton ears". I thought the song was bad to begin with, but - to me - Adam sounded weird and Kris sounded less weird.

05-20-09, 12:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
*Blinks*

So...Kris sounded less weird... even though he fumbled the lyrics and couldn't even hit some notes because they were out of his range? O-ka-yyy...

It's a Tribe!

05-20-09, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sica077 Click to send private message to sica077 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
*blink blink*

Yup, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it. Adam in the lower parts was just too gravelly for me. Yeah, Kris messed up some words (lol, can you blame him?) but I preferred him anyway. Also, for some reason, the song sounded less cheesy when Kris sang it.

I know I am in the minority but I also know I don't sit alone even if no one admits it here.

05-20-09, 02:03 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
*blink blink blink* ...

No, just kidding, lol. I really don't care that much about all of it. It's over, it's done, the decision has been made.

I'm ready for it to end.

It's a Tribe!

05-20-09, 03:32 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Maybe that kid could use a little more red meat in his diet!

(Smiley face)

Metaphorically, at least. He really needs more punch to compete with Adam. And more vocal talent.

05-20-09, 04:44 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Yep. I wish I could go back and listen to them both since so many are sitting of the Kris bench.

It's a Tribe!

05-20-09, 02:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
"the song sounded less cheesy when Kris sang it"

Yes! That. I don't know how or why but it sounded less wrong coming from Kris. I heard it like this: Kris probably looked at it and tried to equate it with something that he feels. "This song is crap. Let me make it mean this instead of just a bunch of fluffy words oddly arranged." Adam probably looked at it and tried to figure out how to Adamize it with vocal gymnastics... which I obviously appreciate coming from him. "This song is crap. These words mean nothing. Let me sing it so well that nobody even cares about the words."

And that also sums up why I know I will buy a Kris album and why I will probably have to listen to Adam's first.

So, yes. Less cheesy is a perfect way to describe it. I'll happily sit with you.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
LAST EDITED ON 05-20-09 AT 02:24 PM (EST)

It was less cheesy like Cheez-its are to Chees Nips, but yes, less cheesy.

Edited because I can't type today

05-20-09, 02:30 PM (EST)
19. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
and yet strangely I've always preferred Cheese Nips.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-20-09, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
I'll happily join Glow and Sica in that corner booth over there, because I agree 100% with them. Neither Adam nor Kris blew anyone away when performing tht song....but could anyone? It sucked in a major sucky way, but it "fit" Kris more and honestly I thought Adam seemed much more uncomfortable with the song.

On a side note, Adam lost points with me when he told Kara (and reporters later) that he loved the song and the song was awesome and it was an honor to have that song. Yeah, right. Where did that Adam honesty go?

geekboy

"I think what Randy Travis was trying to say was 'What the hell was that?!'" - S. Cowell

Tazluli 141 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-20-09, 03:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tazluli Click to send private message to Tazluli Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Is there any more room on the bench?

I think both did the best they could with what was handed to them, but Kris did better. That is not to say he did a great job. I think that was an impossible task for both Adam and Kris.

05-21-09, 00:31 AM (EST)
28. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Glow, I truly appreciate you articulating exactly how I felt when typing that short, and *cheesy* line . At the time I couldn't really describe it, but you? hit the nail on the head for me.... for you... *channeling inner Randy*.

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 11:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
I'll just echo what a lot of you have said already... Very disappointed with the performances last night. I had such high hopes too! It started out well, but ended on a very "bad note".

Still, I think Kris was better overall FOR ME. I don't care for the screeching of Adam. Yes he has incredible range. Yes he is an amazing performer. No I don't care for his style of music all the time. Kris was my favorite of the two.

NO ONE can sing that dreadful "No Boundaries" song and make it sound good. No one.

SilverStar 6205 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SilverStar Click to send private message to SilverStar Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
1. Kris, Ain't No Sunshine-- OMG, I loved this so much. I was mesmerized. IIRC, this performance from week 4 was when I really sat up and took notice of Kris, so I was very pleased that he chose this song as his repeat.

2. Adam, Mad World-- Loved this as well and it's definitely one of my favorite Adam performances. I had to laugh at the drama of it all though. I mean, he did an excellent job setting the mood and making it captivating, but really... the elevator entrance, the slow walk down the stairs, the coat, the dry ice machine! It was so OTT. That's our Adam.

3. Kris, What's Goin' On-- On second listen, it wasn't as bad as I first thought. Not that I thought it was bad, just kind of boring. But I liked it a lot more the second time around, which is usually the case with any performance, I've found. I think my expectations always get in my way the first time around.

4. Adam, Change Gonna Come-- Liked the first part, hated it once he started in with the scream. I mean, Adam has like 15 different types of screams and there are some that I enjoy, but there is one that just sets me on edge and I immediately roll my eyes. This song had that scream, so I didn't like it.

I'm not even able to rank that last steaming bag of puke song. I thought they both sucked because, aside from it being a horrible song to begin with, it didn't fit either one of them and it's ridiculous that they make 2 completely different artists sing a song that I'm sure neither one of them would ever, EVER choose for themselves. And then it has to be their first single? I'm also assuming that they're not allowed to re-arrange it and put their own twist on it? So stupid.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-09, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
That "finale" song was so bad, I think even Kara was embarrassed by it. Simon popped off about "mountains and hurricanes" and she responded with "I know, I know".

"Why go halfway bad when you can go all-the-way crazy?" - RNO

05-20-09, 05:24 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
I agree with you, nailbone. And when each of them sang all I could hear in my head is that new, stupid Miley Cyrus (sp?) song about climbing mountains and whatnot.

give me several cans of Easy Cheese and lay it on thick!!

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-20-09, 06:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Rankings - Top Two - Finale AI8"
Here's my rankings of the top 2:

6. Adam Lambert, "No Boundaries" -- didn't really fit Adam.
5. Kris Allen, "What's Going On" -- fine but a little boring.
4. Adam Lambert, Simon Fuller song -- liked it until he began screaming. I hate it when he does that!
3. Kris Allen, "No Boundaries" -- better for him but the key was too high. Couldn't he put it in a lower key?
2. Adam Lambert, "Mad World" -- I like him when he's subdued. But his appearance was a tad too theatrical!
1. Kris Allen, "Ain't No Sunshine" -- excellent performance!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •