The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Characters development & Spoiling"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

MattyMax 515 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-09-02, 04:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail MattyMax Click to send private message to MattyMax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Characters development & Spoiling"
Okay everybody, only 3 episodes left, We've seen the stories of these people, what do you think the editing tells us about how it plays out? I have here my thoughts and observations on the plots of the characters, and how they could play out according to narrative conventions. All of this will change as of tonight, of course, but it'll give all you kids something to do at work today.

SEAN- Sean's story is like an Horatio Alger novel. Kid from the hood, obnoxious, had a hard time, was going to be voted out, but he succeeded in the face of adversity, and overcame his obstacles by voting out authority figures. Sean has been a main character from the begining. Loud, misunderstood, but loyal and honest. He said early on that a black person can't win survivor, and we know how MB loves to make people look stupid. Recently, Sean has been shown in a very good light, too: Winning a RC, having sex with Pappy, smiling a lot, singing to Vee, and endearing himself to the audience. The Shuffle excited me because I couldn't wait to see Sean off of the show, but now I'd like to see him go far.
Speculation- Sean could win, the Anti-Hero, the Dark Horse. The audience knows him well, and likes him. He's the underdog, and MB would love a black winner of survivor.

GENERAL - I see his storyline being intertwined with the Rotu4. We never saw anything of him pre-switch, at the switch he was shown maybe twice an episode, agreeing with John to form the alliance. We saw him as a member of the 4, and it sticks in my mind his obnoxious comment to Tammy at the coconut IC, after hacking a Neleh rope, he said 'should I leave it out for you?'. Recently he has been seen crying on Pappy's shoulder, but he was also seen smelling Neleh's hair (creepycreepy!) He has thought he was the next to go for the last 2 episodes, and ironically he hasn't gone, but it seems as if it will catch up to him.
Speculation- Rob's gone. Stick a fork in him. There's just too much spoilage that the Rotu4 were knocked out, and Rob has been so blandly and negatively portrayed that I don't think he has time to be redeemed.

NELEH- Oh she's so cute! She has been America's Sweetheart™ this season, but as we've seen that doesn't usually work. What's made Neleh different than the usual sweetheart strategy is that she has been in power the entire game. Neleh also has been given a 'ruthless streak': 'Oh my heck, we beat them at their own game, hahaha'; blowing a kiss goodbye to Zoe at TC; convincing Pappy to switch; even the princess act was a little cruel, if not over the top. As Sean said, she's playing it. 'Oh, I'm so cute, I'm in the finals'. Also, her quote from the previews this week is 'I'll never give up now', which mirrors what she said to Pappy to switch. She was painted in a very negative light last week, someone that the audience wouldn't mind to see leave. 'Princess' conotates a spoiled child, and control of power.

Speculation- Sean could be right. the 'I'm so cute, I'm in the finals' act really may work. She is in a powerful position, with a probably rob vote, and probable that Kathy is loyal to them over sean (they did take her over Gina.) Last episode she was shown in a very negative light, but I think that that could be necessary for the plot. Up until then, she was a cute little pixie, now she's a more realistic person. The producers don't want a static characicature to win.

PAPPY- Pappy has never been shown in a bad light, except when he betrayed John. We see him as a good, honest character, Loyal to neleh. He has the kiss of death, every vote he has cast has been for the loser. His Story is that of an awakening to the cruel realities of the game, and how he tries to reconcile his ethics with his gameplaying. We saw him being convinced to turn on John associated with washing himself in/with mud. "I didn't realize how to play the game until today".
Speculation- Pappy's story hasn't been finished, I don't even know if it's truly begun. I think we're being set up for a showdown of some sorts, which is inevitable when it comes down to these numbers. We know Pappy, but I think the story is setting us up to see what he WILL do, when it comes down to difficult final strategizing. If anything, we've seen him shy from strategizing. He is a definite winner candidate, though.

VEE- What's interesting about Vee is not what we've seen, but what we haven't seen, her. Vee has been riding the winners train the entire game. She has only voted for someone who didn't get booted once, with Sarah, and subsequently allied with her. We saw some character development last episode, but not much. InVEEsible.
Speculation- I think that she will probably last a few more episodes, as character development will be forced as it comes down to the nitty-gritty. But, I don't see her as a winner. It would be like MB picked someone out of nowhere. She is a possible Mamakim placeholder, though. Something that I have noticed about Vee, is that she is competent at land challenges. We saw her perform well as a member of a team in earlier episodes, with the weaving and the ball and people mazes, as well as performing well at the last two ICs. While it doesn't have much to do with her story, I see her as a definite challenge threat, especially compared to who is left AND that she's the favorite for the slingshot IC.

KATHY- Her storyline has been discussed on other threads. It seems that her story line has been principal, from the moment Rotu landed on the beach. I see her storyline as a classic "Innocence, fall from innocence, difficult journey to redemption/radical innocence' storyline of Milton, Blake, and Luther. (I'm not supposed to be studying) Her innocence was her beginning, 'why doesn't anybody like me!! HEY YOU GUYS!!! Why don't you like me?' attitude. Her fall came with the Gina vote ('I wish we could just hack it all out and have a nice rest of the day'), immediatly followed by the Rob tryst, which was when her nose was rubbed in the dirty poo of lies and deception. From there she was Baptised in the waterfall, and here begins her rise. She wins immunity, securing her own position, and through losing Rob she forms the patchwork alliance. This was difficult, and has since been working to keep it together, as well as keeping the tribe together through Working (she's the only one seen gathering food).
Speculation- this theory could play out to Kathy being fully redeemed, entering heaven as winner. This would make the show very satisfying and emotional, but it would also suck to see the annoying loud woman win.

Conclusion- Kathy, Sean, Pappy and neleh seem to have the best chances of winning, considering their story arcs.

Please tell me what you think.

MattyMax

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Speculation sorgee 05-09-02 1

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

sorgee 1455 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-09-02, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sorgee Click to send private message to sorgee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Speculation "
i'm posting more speculation than spoiler...

i think that kathy and sean have had the most developed and complex stories.
and they have both been:
-seen in a negative light
-we had thought that they were destined to be booted
-they have been redeemed

neleh and paschal have had a few spikes, but i don't see them edited as the main focus. and they haven't really had anything happen to be redeemed for (well except for the little mess nelly has herself in now for being the little princess). the only thing that i can think of the paschal needs to be redeemed for is his broken promise to john. and i doubt that will be redeemed. i don't see a need for it.

i see: kathy & sean as the main characters
i see: neleh and paschal as the supporting cast
i see: vee and robert as extras

i think rob and vee will probably get their share of face time in the next couple of episdoes, but that's only because they are getting the boot. i also think that mb is editing nelly to take the walk of shame. i don't know if it will be this week or not, but he is clearly showing us that her "sweetness" is causing a toothache with the 2 main characters IMO.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •