The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Revenge of the Third World Part II"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

mocha madness 251 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-15-03, 04:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mocha%20madness Click to send private message to mocha%20madness Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Revenge of the Third World Part II"
I acknowledge the discussion on another thread regarding the fairness of TAR in regards to women, and the difficulties that they face in India. I would like to throw in something else for discussion....the Producers know in advance where they are going, and what the Racers can expect. How much can and should they advise the Racers to avoid "some" of the potential problems.

Let me explain.....what North Americans/Europeans normally wear in the summer time is frequently "offensive" in third world countries. In TAR I Frank was wearing muscle shirts....this attire IS offensive in Thailand. He wore his inside a Buddhist temple....also very offensive. Frank may not have known this, but the Producers sure did. Advising the unaware or uninformed in advance would show respect, and would avoid some of the problems that other posters are complaining about.

Other examples....short shorts and the tank top no bra look makes for great eye candy, but are also signs of disrespect in many Third World Countries. Flo and one of the sisters in the all female team come to mind. Flo had several tank tops, and the one sister wore very short shorts. Both Tian and Jaree were spilling out of their T-shirts in the last episode. I am not excusing conduct such as groping on the train, but dressing more modestly would, in my opinion, eliminate "some" of the objectionable behavior.

I recommend "zips" when traveling in tropical climates. You can turn them from pants to shorts very quickly when you need to cover up, and I would suggest T-Shirts for both men and women over tank tops. You could still wear shorts, but make them of the "long" variety. These are very simple suggestions, and I think they would show some respect, and hopefully reduce unwanted harassment.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Revenge of the Third World Part... ImNext 07-15-03 1
 RE: Revenge of the Third World Part... qwertypie 07-21-03 2

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

ImNext 99 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

07-15-03, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ImNext Click to send private message to ImNext Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Revenge of the Third World Part II"
I think I remember reading on TwoP after TAR3, somebody posted a question regarding attire to the racers, and was answered with a "producers suggested in the briefings..." type answer. It's been awhile since I saw that, though.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

07-21-03, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Revenge of the Third World Part II"
LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 11:06 PM (EST)

I think it should the responsibility of the contestants especially if the advice falls under the realm of common sense. For example, you know it's a race, you know you are going to travel so knowing a few phrases in the more common languages , being able to read a map and physically training before the start would seem like a given.
Every guide book I have seen for Europe and South America stresses the importance of dressing modestly for men and women so I don't understand why the teams would not have a least one light-weight outfit that would accomplish this. This to me falls under the realm of common sense and would be obvious if the teams had done some basic research.

I am not sure if dressing modestly would have solved all the problems of the groping, some girlfriends who travel extensively report that even dressing as the locals do did not stop the unwanted advances. But it certainly couldn't hurt.

I think the producers have a responsibility to warn the contestants if common behaviour that would be considered good manners would be construed as a violation (eg, shaking the hand of an Orthodox Jew who is of the opposite gender).

I guess most of the contestants of TAR are not doing much to dispel the stereotypes of the ugly North American traveller; it would be interesting to watch if the contestants' faux pas actually delayed or hurt their play (for example, guards would not let inappropriately dressed people into a temple or church where the next clue was, or local people, fed up with the manners would feed the contestants false information).

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •