The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Simplified guidelines"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-03-02, 12:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Simplified guidelines"
I fear that folks are having trouble comprehending the guidelines. I would like to propose a simplified version:

Read
Read more
Think
Think again
Post if no one else has

If you consider this off topic, please lock/remove. I understand the annoyance one might feel about off topic or redundant posts.

60 Pixel Series, No. 2

"Sweetie, if you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up space..." Flo Kennedy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Simplified guidelines dangerkitty 05-03-02 1
 Adding one more Bebo 05-03-02 2
   RE: Adding one more dabo 05-06-02 4
 RE: Simplified guidelines Teddy_Bear 05-03-02 3
 RE: Simplified guidelines JeffGator 05-06-02 5
   RE: Simplified guidelines Naked 05-08-02 7
 My turn to BUMP this. . . George Tirebiter 05-08-02 6
 bump hrc2u 05-09-02 8
 RE: Simplified guidelines SurvivaBear 05-09-02 9
 RE: Simplified guidelines volmel 05-09-02 10
   RE: Simplified guidelines tribephyl 05-09-02 11
       Exactly volmel 05-09-02 12
       RE: Simplified guidelines samiam 05-09-02 13
       RE: Simplified guidelines George Tirebiter 05-09-02 14
 Locking... sleeeve 05-09-02 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-03-02, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
Thanks TN. That pretty much says it.

May I add: The excuse of "Well, sorry, but I don't have time to read everything before I post" is really old and doesn't cut it. If you have time to watch the show, have a "brilliant" idea, find SB, register, and post, you have time to read a little first.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-02, 12:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Adding one more"
Love TechNoir's list, but there's one more I'd like to add:

BACK IT UP

Just because you heard a rumor doesn't mean it's true. Have some evidence to back up your claims.

fluent in Sarcastic, Blahblah, and Mockery

'Canes Rock! Beat Canada!

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-02, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Adding one more"
Or alternatively: State Source, preferably with a link.

ARRRRRRR!!!!

Teddy_Bear 1675 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

05-03-02, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Teddy_Bear Click to send private message to Teddy_Bear Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
I agree with all of the above, thanks TechNoir; maybe it will actually work this time .

I have couple things to add: If your sole purpose in starting a tresd or, a post--East Coast Spoiler's Thread, excepted-- is to either celebrate or bash the contestants, take it to Fanatics or Bashers.

If you want to state your PTTE, and you have eiter well-reasoned logic and/or speculation to back it up; there is a tresd already in place for that in Spoilers, called (no surprise) PTTE.

If you want to state your PTTE (Picks-To-The-End) without backing it up; take it to Fanatics.

I just want to say; I am really fed up the continuous duplicate thresds started each week. There is no excuse for this, IMHO, if the exact same tresd is already on page 1.

Act Now: Keep HOPE Alive !!!

Eleanor Roosevelt: No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

JeffGator 1401 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-06-02, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JeffGator Click to send private message to JeffGator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
I like your advice Technoir.

I'd like to add that I think the single most important piece of advice for newbies is that for their first 50 posts, they should only reply to other people's postings, rather than start new postings on their own. This would give them a good feel of the attitude of the board before they start ridiculous posts that don't belong. It's one thing giving a crummy response, but another thing to start a crummy post. Everyone hates it when someone starts something especially in the Spoiler Forum that is like "Hey I just read somewhere that John said that he thinks Vecepia is going next and he probably has an inside source so Vecepia is probably going next, what do you guys think?"

Had this poster waited until 50 posts or so before posting one on his own, he would have known that this is hardly the kind of post the regulars would start in the spoiler forum or in any other forum for that matter.

Richard Hatch/Tina Wesson/Ethan Zohn/Kathy O'Brien
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad...and there it goes."--Bobby Hill
--"I will cut the head off of whoever it is that did this. I'm gonna take them out. I'm gonna slit their throat."

Naked 887 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-08-02, 08:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
Jeff,

I happen to disagree with you. I would love to read insightful posts started by new members. The problem lies with people posting CRAP to get attention. I think if people would think about their posts, then it doesn't matter how long they have participated.

Oh, by the way... I love the new Lex pic. We seem to have the same taste in who we support.

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-08-02, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "My turn to BUMP this. . ."
This SHOULD make it a no-brainer, yet so many seem to have trouble realizing it might apply to THEM:

>I fear that folks are having trouble comprehending the guidelines.
>I would like to propose a simplified version:
>
>Read
>Read more
>Think
>Think again
>Post if no one else has

GT

Sometimes you can observe a lot by watching. - Yogi Berra

hrc2u 146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-09-02, 12:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hrc2u Click to send private message to hrc2u Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "bump"
LAST EDITED ON 05-09-02 AT 01:27 PM (EST)

As a relatively new person who enjoys reading the rules, I will bump so it doesn't fall of page 1.
Let me tell all you newbees. The people here are nice. Read the threads before you start a new one.

Even if there are 60 posts. You my find out, that what you want to say is being discussed.

Why post there, you ask? Because then we don't repeat ourselves 6000 times.
And if you make a mistake, you don't look like an a$$ on the first page with 0 responses to you post. Or worse yet, a whole thread dedicated to flaming you. Unless that's what you're here for.
I will be the first to admitt I've made mistakes. I do try to do research before I post. But I have jumped From A to C without having B to back me up. But at least I have listed my sources and the websites, when availible.

Oh, and if you want to know why the are mean to newbees start that thread in Off Topic.
hrc2u

SurvivaBear 2634 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

05-09-02, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivaBear Click to send private message to SurvivaBear Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
I am bumping this post so the guidelines will be in plain sight for folks that do not want to read past the third post. Also read these spoiler board guidelines and don't forget to read sleeve's guidelines!

This forum is a lot more fun and useful if everyone follows these guidelines.

Beware the Bear!

Thanks IceCat!

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-09-02, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volmel Click to send private message to volmel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
At what time is one not considered a newbie? Is it DAW numbers or length of time? For instance, I've been here since the beginning of Survivor 2, but I don't have many DAW's. Teddy Bear and Jeff Gator have more DAWS than I do, but they haven't been here as long, I don't think. What constitutes a newbie?

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-02, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
At what time is one not
considered a newbie? Is
it DAW numbers or length
of time? For instance,
I've been here since the
beginning of Survivor 2, but
I don't have many DAW's.
Teddy Bear and Jeff
Gator have more DAWS than
I do, but they haven't
been here as long, I
don't think. What constitutes
a newbie?

I totally understand volmel. I myself have been here since S1 and have noticed a lot of newer folks just scream past me with there DAW levels. I was so happy just to turn 100, not so long ago. The DAW level has to do with the amount of different threads you have posted in. Thankfully not the amount of times one actually posts. But what I believe to be the situation with a "newbie" is in the case of say, oGenesis or Rude Awakening, someone who just found the board, didn't read a thing then posted away. I'm sure I feel the way that most do when it comes to the Spoiler Board. It's for grown-ups. And if folks like oG or RA can't handle it then we are gonna have to spank 'em each and every time until they either learn...or get tired of the abuse. As for you. At 200+ different posts it's quite apparent that you have done your share of reading. "You, volmel are no newbie!". Take that from an old fogey.

volmel 362 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-09-02, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volmel Click to send private message to volmel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Exactly"
Tribe, nice to see you from one old time quiet one to another.

Interestingly enough, 85 percent of my DAWS were during Survivor 2. I live fairly near Tina Wesson and I heard some of the local gossip (what she was buying, what she was saying, etc.), so I felt I had some spoilers to possibly contribute.

I'm more clueless with these last shows. I search for information, but really most of it has already been dug out by others here, so it would just be a repeat. And someone like OutFrontGirl, who I consider to be the supreme spoiler and analyzer of material, well me trying to come up with new material would just be silly.

So, I guess there's something to be said for those of us that are around but not posting everything that pops into our heads. Maybe we're the backbone of SB

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

05-09-02, 02:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
The DAW level has to do with the amount of different threads you have posted in. Thankfully not the amount of times one actually posts.

Actually, a small clarification: The DAW level IS determined by the number of posts you make, anywhere. If you post 8 times in one thread, it counts as 8 DAWs.

But you are, in fact, absolutely correct in every other respect, and thank you.

"You are a fluke of the Universe. You have no right to be here. And whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back." - Tony Hendra, Deteriorata

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-09-02, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Simplified guidelines"
> At what time is one not considered a newbie?
tribephyl is right. I think the negative connotation the word "newbie" has gained is thanks to the lack of maturity on the part of those who just don't grasp these simple concepts. Those who are adult enough to realize the rules DO pertain to them are never going to be the ones wasting our time with the pointless postings, off-the-wall spec, or protestations of how insulting we are to expect them to get their bearings before they "contribute" something here. Some people skip over the "newbie" mode with their first post, some apparently lack the social skills to get it after 400!

We've had quite a good time spoofing this kind of cluelessness on Bashers, this season--perhaps someone should've put a link up here to the various "Typical Spoiler Posts" there.

As one who has racked up the majority of her embarrassingly-high DAWs on The Dark Side (Bashers) and off-season time-wasting on the OT, it may sound silly to be the one to say that IMHO, many of my favorite posters here typically UNDERpost; won't begin listing by name, to avoid the impressio of a popularity contest, but virtually ALL my personal favorites are people I am forever wishing I saw more of.

In much the same way a smart houseguest or entertainer, the secret might lie largely in "Leaving the crowd wanting more."

GT

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-09-02, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Locking..."
Please don't consider this an insult, cause I LOVE this summary of the guidelines, but there are two problems:

1) In a week of repetitive threads, there is no need to keep bumping two sets of guidelines to the top, both of which will still be ignored by the people that should read them.

2) This has clearly gone WAY off topic.

Thanks... now let's spoil!!

You never know what might be up my sleeeve...

Unlock | Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •