The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Season 8's "Annointed One""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

03-16-09, 11:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Season 8's "Annointed One""
This season it appears as if everyone has already annointed Adam Lambert as this season's winner. This happened last year with David Archuleta, and as we all recall he came in 2nd.

Has anyone done any record keeping on previous seasons? Which contestants were the media darlings, early picks, etc - and subsequently where did they finally end up?

geekboy

"In a competition of hamburgers, you are a steak." - S. Cowell

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" Snidget 03-16-09 1
   RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" DoodleBug 03-16-09 5
       RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" geekboy 03-16-09 6
           RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" DoodleBug 03-16-09 7
   RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" zazzy 03-16-09 10
 Disagree Estee 03-16-09 2
   RE: Disagree Snidget 03-16-09 3
       RE: Disagree geekboy 03-16-09 4
       RE: Disagree zazzy 03-16-09 11
 RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" zazzy 03-16-09 8
   RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" geekboy 03-16-09 9
 RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" angelworth29 03-17-09 12
   RE: Season 8's "Annointed One" geekboy 03-17-09 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-16-09, 11:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
From memory, with some help from wiki for names and looking at who had the pimp spot at the top 12

Season 1, I didn't watch but I heard enough about Tamyra Gray I knew she had a shocking elimination and she got a some TV roles and a record deal out of her 4th place finish. (didn't do a top 12 and seemed to not have the pimp spot thing down, yet)

Season 2. I think Ruben was pretty much the anointed one. I really think they wanted to make sure Clay didn't win, but I'm from NC so we got a lot of press about him. Kimberly Locke who finished third I think was the favorite girl early on, but I mostly remember the Clay vs Ruben thing for most of the season.

Top 12 pimp spot Ruben Studdard

Season 3. I don't think they wanted Fantasia to win, LaToya, again #4 was who I remember. I think once LaToya was gone Fantasia became annointed even though I remember her really annoying Simon. Mostly because of the other two girls in the final 3.

Top 12 pimp spot Diana DeGarmo who was #2, but I barely remember her to know if she was consistently pimped.

Season 4. Just caught the semifinals on Idol Rewind, so that sparked some memories.

Nadia got a lot of love early on but went out at #8. Bo got a lot of decent pimping early on, and the battle of him and Constantine the other rocker was kind of a theme. I don't remember Carrie getting much anointing early on even though she won.

Top 12 pimp spot Nikko Smith, but he was a last minute replacement so may have been a pity pimp.

Season 5. Daughtry was IMO the anointed one. Went out in 4th place. Continued the rocker theme from the season before.

Songs by finalist, not by week on wiki, checks AI math geek thread on VFTW, Was Daughtry in the top 12 pimp spot

Season 6. Jordin is who I remember getting the most pimpage

VFTW Math Geek Thread, She was the top 12 pimp spot

Season 7. I think Carly got a fair amount of pimpage as well, but not nearly as much as David, I think again the year before the theme of ZOMG17!!11!!11 worked and they kept with it.

VFTW Math Geek thread, David A. was the top 12 pimp spot.

VFTW Math Geek Thread http://votefortheworst.com/forum/topic3733.html

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-09, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
Season 4:
Simon didn't pimp Carrie Underwood much because of the country thing - he's not a big fan of country. I remember her getting a pimpage from the other judges and picked as an early favorite to win. Paula has mentioned that a couple of times this year already.

03-16-09, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
Actually, Simon picked Carrie to win early on after her performance of 'Alone'.

...i think that was pretty early on, wasn't it?

geekboy

DoodleBug 5133 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-09, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DoodleBug Click to send private message to DoodleBug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
That's the standout performance I was thinking of that pulled her away from the pack. That performance and "Indepedence Day" was awesome. I had to Google when she sang Alone - it was the Top 11! I'd say that's pretty early on!

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-16-09, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
IIRC, Fantasia's single mom status was really played up in season 3 and she even got to bring her child on stage with her, resulting in a big wave of fan support. I'd have to look through the show archives to figure out which week she got to bring her kid on the stage.

Season 3 was the season of the three divas, and first Simon helped oust JHud with lots of image comments; LaToya got sidelined with song choice or some other vocal comments and the praise was heaped onto Fantasia.

What I remember of season 4 was that Carrie seemed to get more love than warranted--she sang well but her stage presence was very wooden. I think there was only one week when the Simon really did not support her. Bo was such a breath of fresh air and had good appeal--and may have won if he did not get sick the night of the finale. I recall reading about his wretching backstage and then having to go out and sing.

Kinda reminds me of the finale with Jordin and Blake where they both were made to sing the same coronation song and the song was written more for a singer like Jordin and Blake was not permitted to change the song whatsoever. Clearly they set up Jordin through singing placement pimpage, judges' praise pimpage and the finale song slanted to her style pimpage.

Taylor winning in season 5 is the only thing that suggests to me that the votes are legit. Daughtry was the chosen one, the PR machine was at a fever pitch for him and it seemed to surprise everyone when he got the boot. That night they let Taylor reprise Jailhouse Rock for the show. This was results night and someone who was staying got to sing again. Now, why did that happen? IMO once they knew Chris was gone they wanted Taylor to win over Kat or Elliot. So they hurried to spotlight Taylor and Simon even said nicer things to him at the F3 or F2 round.

Now this season they are making sure the judges'/producers' choice is around...with the one time save. Who will it be?

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-09, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Disagree"
I think Danny's been hit by more ampula oil than Adam -- at least as far as the producers are concerned.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

03-16-09, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Disagree"
I do think Danny is much more anointed then Adam.

I think Adam is being pimped, just to be the sinner to lose tothe saint in the end. It's a Disney Ride now. Good has to triumph over evil.

03-16-09, 12:17 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Disagree"
You make an excellent point, and an aspect that I hadn't thought of until now. It will be interesting to watch how things progress with that idea.

Personally, I'm hoping that this year will have a true 'dark horse' contestant. I'm rooting for Danny since he's a 'home town boy' for me, but i'm keeping an eye on two or three people. My favorite so far is Allison, but i have a feeling that IF they start picking better songs, either Kris or Matt G could go far. We'll see.

Also, I'm thinking that unless Adam takes it down many levels, this week could hurt him.

geekboy

03-16-09, 11:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Disagree"
Wow, I love the whole "good vs. evil" angle for the finale. I was thinking "A" name vs. "A" name, as in Adam vs. Alexis or Adam versus Allison. But the good vs evil thing a provocative idea!

03-16-09, 02:34 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
IMO the really-reallys of AI is that they WANT you to think that person A is the annoited one while all along they are bringing along person B...so they have a growth story. They might even be mapping out storyline arcs for people. IMO Adam's arc is as a number 2 person...someone who has undeniable talent, will consistently deliver a good/great performance and not embarrass AI.

But I don't think he is the annoited one. I chose Alexis in my PTTE. I think we shall see her slowly "grow" on us over the weeks to come. The judges will start to be more lavish with her.

The judges can shape America's opinions. They were praising Jordin out the ying yang when her performances were not barn burners. But eventually her fan base grew. They have a way of making comments to marginalize one of the favs that is not their pick. And if that doesn't work, they bury them with the first, second, or third singing spots and praise the heck out of someone else that night. Look at Michael Johns. He was popular, but they were firm about his fitting into a particular box and he did not want to be in that box. The next week he was gone.

Jordin is a good example of a growth story on AI. She was not a favored one, but they made her that way. She was a plant, too, having been on AI Jrs or whatever they call it.

IMO Carrie was a growth story and so was David Cook. He changed it up with Hello and the judges never looked back.

Plus last year we had the AI songs on itunes, so that was an additional barometer for the judges/producers. If I am wrong about Alexis, it will be because she did not sell well on itunes and the judges will go with someone who will consistently make some $$ now.

Alexis imo fills a music industry "spot" for AI. Female, young, moldable, can do Pink's type of material. Kelly C is aging on them and they need a new young girl. Jordin has not been a barn burner but has done well in her niche.

Adam fills a niche, too, but they are still reaping $$ from Daughtry and David Cook. Danny -- not sure they would want him as the winner. Someone to get viewers to tune in--yes. But the winner? (I am not talking about his talent, just where does he fit in in the AI stable after the season). And Lil, well, we have Fantasia, Melinda D, LaKisha, all out there trying to make it. Does not seem like the AI slot is open for her to be no 1. I expect them to treat her the way they did LaKisha. Good, but not expected for slots 1 and 2. But YMMV may vary and that's what makes this a fun season!

03-16-09, 02:42 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
zazzy -

I agree with you - to a point. Yes, they try and mold America's opinion, but in all honesty they can only mold a small percentage.

To prove my point - i bring up a couple contestants from the past.

1 - Clay Aiken
2 - Taylor Hicks

Do you really think that Simon wanted Taylor to win? Absolutely not. Since that season, Simon has consistently bashed on Taylor left and right. Same thing with Clay. They didn't want him to win, let alone get to #2.

I think the only people that the judges sway are the young ones. Granted, that is a huge percentage, but not enough to effect the overall voting, IMHO.

In the end, America gets it right MOST of the time.

geekboy

angelworth29 532 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-17-09, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail angelworth29 Click to send private message to angelworth29 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
I don't know about Adam being the "annointed one", but I did have a dream about him the other night. I think my husband and I were at a bar/restaurant, and Adam was working there, even though he was currently on American Idol. I don't know if I brought it up or someone else did, but he was asked if he was gay, and he pointed to some guy and said, "He wouldn't be friends with me if I weren't." I don't know what that means, but I woke up knowing the truth about Adam.

Aside from that, I know a foolproof way to know who is NOT going to win. That would be my favorite. Every year. Okay, except for season 1, I did like Kelly.

My favorite so far this year, subject to change, is Matt. I'm sorry, Matt.

03-17-09, 02:01 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Season 8's "Annointed One""
As I've stated elsewhere, i see two potential dark horses this season, those being Allison and Matt. Your boy, in my opinion, could do well.

geekboy

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •