The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Da Twist."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-11-09, 06:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Da Twist."
Any ideas? Other than 'Simon is tired of watching these stupid rebels telling him what to do, this isn't a democracy, and the king is about to assume his throne.' I think we finally wore him down. All this deciding for ourselves is just so offensive to Simon. After all, he's the only one in the world who knows anything, we've had eight years to exalt him, and what do we do? Boo. Gosh, we're ungrateful.

My theories:

1. Sing-off: the bottom two (or three, this week) get one last chance to save themselves, and then the judges decide who goes home.

2. Override: the judges can negate the vote and save a given number of people per season, from one on up. Whether that means the next runner-up automatically goes home, the top vote getter leaves, anyone who offended Simon this time around is out (e.g. everyone)... to be determined.

3. Your vote means nothing and the producers decide the ouster every single week. Also known as 'status quo'.

4. Funny farm: there's a second vote to determine who goes home among the bottom group -- but this time, you're voting against a person and are choosing the one you don't want to receive the prize. That week's mentor gets to pick one person to be automatically safe. Or adopts them. Or kidnaps them to be their love slave, although Kara's going to have some copyright issues there. William Hung is judge, jury, and executioner. They bring in the Hole In The Wall gang and whoever can contort themselves to get through stays. Jack Bauer shows up and kills everyone because anyone who isn't Jack Bauer must be a terrorist, so they all have to die. Paula mistakes the bottom group for her theraputic powders and snorts them all.

So many ways to destroy a show's concept, so few weeks in the season. But don't worry, because Simon decided it would be done. And Simon doesn't care about finding the best singer, or public opinion, or -- anything, really. Simon cares about having real power over the last group. And don't you think that's what's really important?

As if Simon cares what you think.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Da Twist. Snidget 03-11-09 1
 RE: Da Twist. grit 03-11-09 2
 RE: Da Twist. vince3 03-11-09 3
 RE: Da Twist. moonbaby 03-11-09 4
 RE: Da Twist. Glow 03-11-09 5
 RE: Da Twist. frodis 03-11-09 6
 RE: Da Twist. zazzy 03-11-09 7
   RE: Da Twist. KeithFan 03-12-09 8
       RE: Da Twist. nailbone 03-12-09 9
       RE: Da Twist. Belle Book 03-12-09 10
           RE: Da Twist. carolann320 03-12-09 12
               RE: Da Twist. Belle Book 03-12-09 14
       RE: Da Twist. carolann320 03-12-09 13
 RE: Da Twist. carolann320 03-12-09 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-09, 07:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Da Twist."
Probably some sing off with the bottom three and the judges get to save one of them.

That way we have to listen to 3 bad performances every results show instead of just one.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

03-11-09, 07:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Da Twist."
My first reaction last night is that they go with #1. That's what they used to do in Rock Star. The bottom 2 would have a sing-off (yes we get to listen to the two worst singers one more time). It annoys me that they're still doing a 1-hour results show so I guess this is how they're going to fill that hour.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-09, 07:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Da Twist."
The rumor I heard was that it was similar to the British show that Simon judges on......

I think the Bottom whatever shapes the field for elimination, then the judges throw the ax and do the elinminating themselves..... I don't know if they give them a last chance sing-off first.....

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-09, 08:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Da Twist."
LAST EDITED ON 03-11-09 AT 09:39 AM (EST)

I hope we aren't subjected to the sing-off. The only thing that could change my mind about this is if they are allowed to pick a new song. One listen of a bad song is truly enough.

I'll say #2.

Edited to make shamrock OK to use.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

03-11-09, 08:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Da Twist."
I'm guessing #1. If that is the case, I'm not sure I have a huge problem with it (yet).

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-11-09, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Da Twist."
I was going to guess that it had something to do with a guillotine or maybe some sort of public human sacrifice of each week's loser, but from our very own RTVW front page:

*** I guess this is a spoiler so don't read further if you want to be shocked and awed by the broadcast tonight ***

The Twist appears to be the judges having a one-time veto power to save someone who has been (wrongfully?) booted.

I don't like the Rockstar-style bottom two and the judges vote them off idea for American Idol. It worked for Rockstar because on Rockstar the premise was that the band itself was looking for its new frontman, and I thought it made sense that the band should have a say in who was ultimately chosen.

AI isn't that same sort of animal, though. The whole "America Votes" and "American Idol" schtick is based on "America" either getting it right, or wrong, or whatever. Hey, if a contestant can inspire massive voting blocks, that should translate into massive album sales, right? (No? Taylor Hicks, you say? Right, well, hey, America voted! Is it America's fault that they didn't want to shell out any more effort for the big gray goof?)

Personally, I'm less concerned with American Idol's take of the eventual winner's album sales than I am with my own selfish entertainment value. Good people getting booted too soon is too entertaining. If the judges have a one-time 'get out of jail free' card that they have to agree to grant to someone then, well, that's okay with me. Not every week, though. No, thanks.

I wonder if the judges know before the bootee gets booted, or if we'll have a deliberation every week about whether to use the veto vote? That could be amusing on the 1-hour results shows when Paula's had plenty of time to empty her mysterious Coke cup.

Winter wonderland a la Arkie!

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

03-11-09, 10:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Da Twist."
So...it is the save one twist. What good is a save if the judges don't get to use it?

So, at what point in the season will we have the "shocking boot" and the judges' "save"?

Michael J went out at 8th...

JHud at 7th...

Chris D at 4th...

So chances are some time in the next 8 weeks they use the save to give the show some buzz. When is Grand Ole Opry week? Will that one be a yawner? I'm thinking around 6th or 7th place for the save. If it is at 6th, then the next week would be the double elim to the final four. That'd be very AI-like.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-09, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Da Twist."
When will they use it? Whenever Lil, Adam, or Danny are voted out.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. -Ronald Reagan

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

03-12-09, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Da Twist."
LAST EDITED ON 03-12-09 AT 08:50 AM (EST)

Exactly.

After Tuesday night's performances, I said one of five...Danny, Allison, Alexis, Adam, or Lil...will be the winner.

Interesting that they can use the save up till the Top 5.

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-12-09, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Da Twist."
Maybe in that case, I should hope Lil is voted out before the others, so she can be saved. Or maybe not.

carolann320 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-12-09, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carolann320 Click to send private message to carolann320 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Da Twist."
why if she shows consistency should she be voted off, that does not sound logical but to each his own. look at Taylor Hicks for example nothing to be said

Belle Book 3613 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-12-09, 07:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Belle%20Book Click to send private message to Belle%20Book Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Da Twist."
Personally, I don't think that if Lil shows consistency she should be voted off. However, there's something to be said for taking risks. Look at Season 6 -- Melinda Doolittle was the most consistent, but Blake took the most risks. And Blake outlasted Melinda. Sometimes if a singer is so consistent, fans become complacent. Also, if you take a calculated risk and it works out, the risk really stands out and encourages more votes for you.

Anyway, I don't want Lil to be voted out any time before the finals (let alone the Top 5), but if it happens before or during the Top 5, I won't be too upset since I think she'll be saved by the judges.

03-12-09, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carolann320 Click to send private message to carolann320 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Da Twist."
Maybe it may come down to one of those contestants but we will and see

03-12-09, 04:59 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Da Twist."
I beleive Da Twist is a very good addition for the show, it gives those that are very good vocalist and performers that one chance they may have an off day to redeem themselves, are if the people do not vote for that person who is consistent then Da Twist should intervene.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •