The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Babylon 5 on DVD"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Other Non-Reality TV Shows Forum (Protected)
Original message

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-31-04, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Babylon 5 on DVD"
Since I do not spend enough time in alternate universes, I thought it would be a good idea to buy the Babylon 5 DVD set. I am on season two and I am sooooooooo hooked. This series is so well written. Any other Sci fi geeks out there?

I love this series!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Babylon 5 on DVD Swami 05-31-04 1
 RE: Babylon 5 on DVD Deonna 05-31-04 2
 RE: Babylon 5 on DVD AugustGirl 05-31-04 3
   Swami, Deonna and Augie: greenmonstah 05-31-04 4
       RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie: Deonna 05-31-04 5
       RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie: SurvivorBlows 06-01-04 7
           Showtime's Jeremiah SurvivorBlows 06-01-04 8
               Wow! Swami 06-01-04 9
                   RE: Wow! AugustGirl 06-01-04 13
                   RE: Wow! SurvivorBlows 06-01-04 14
                       RE: Wow! Swami 06-02-04 15
           RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie: greenmonstah 06-01-04 10
 Sad News dabo 05-31-04 6
   RE: Sad News greenmonstah 06-01-04 11
   RE: Sad News AugustGirl 06-01-04 12
 Hiya furball Sagebrush Dan 06-06-04 16
   Chakotay AugustGirl 06-06-04 17
   RE: Hiya furball dabo 06-06-04 18
       RE: Hiya furball Sagebrush Dan 06-07-04 24
   RE: Hiya furball Deonna 06-07-04 19
       RE: Hiya furball Sagebrush Dan 06-07-04 22
   *gasp* Swami 06-07-04 21
       RE: *gasp* Sagebrush Dan 06-07-04 23
 *raises hand* buckeyegirl 06-07-04 20
   RE: *raises hand* greenmonstah 06-07-04 25
 RE: Babylon 5 on DVD mookiemeister 07-06-04 26
   RE: Babylon 5 on DVD greenmonstah 07-08-04 27
 Jeremiah returns SurvivorBlows 08-31-04 28
 RE: Babylon 5 on DVD buckeyegirl 09-12-04 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-04, 07:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"
Buy Firefly & watch it--a fabulous SciFi show that was cancelled way too soon!

I am a long time SciFi fan (there are lots of us here, including Webby himself.) Right now I most enjoy StarGate and Farscape reruns. I never got into Babylon 5--sometimes I just run out of time to track TV series & I didn't get DISH until a couple of years ago.

How much for the 5-season Babylon set?

Deonna 2425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

05-31-04, 08:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Deonna Click to send private message to Deonna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"
*I* am a big time Sci fi geek!

I love Babylon Five!

Deonna

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-04, 08:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"
Me! I love Sci Fi. Firefly is the best and I was bummed when it was cancelled. I never got into Babylon 5, but I'm sure I will one day. I love all things Star Trek and Stargate SG-1, too.

I knew I would find Deonna and Swami here. Hi ladies!

And I always knew Monsty was a Sci Fi geek.

05-31-04, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Swami, Deonna and Augie:"
LAST EDITED ON 05-31-04 AT 09:15 PM (EST)

As Deonna can back up, Babylon 5 is one of the best written sci fi series on TV. Its creator Stracynski sold the network a preconceived narrative with a definitive series endpoint. He layed out a complete blueprint that outlined the events of every episode right up until the series finale. (Five seasons)

This blueprint ensured consistancy throughout the series and allowed Straczynski to use foreshadowing and allusion to great effect during the course of the series. Season One is called "Signs and Portents".

Swami...you can get a season for about $65.00 new. You can also rent the fisrt season to see if you like it...try ebay too. I will look into Firefly

05-31-04, 08:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Deonna Click to send private message to Deonna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie:"
I definitely agree. Babylon 5 is an incredible good Sci Fi series. Swami, you and Augie should really try and see it. I am sure you both would enjoy it.

Deonna

I have never seen Firefly; I am going to have to find it.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-04, 00:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie:"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-04 AT 00:47 AM (EST)

>As Deonna can back up, Babylon 5 is one of the
>best written sci fi series on TV. Its creator
>Stracynski sold the network a preconceived narrative with a definitive
>series endpoint. He layed out a complete blueprint that
>outlined the events of every episode right up until the
>series finale. (Five seasons)
>
>This blueprint ensured consistancy throughout the
>series and allowed Straczynski to use foreshadowing and allusion
>to great effect during the course of the series.
>Season One is called "Signs and Portents".

Actually, compared to the subsequent seasons, Season 1 actually was kinda slow -- things really got going in Season 2 and kicked ##### through Season 4. The biggest problem with JMS's five year blueprint (speaking as someone who watched the show week-to-week in real-time for five years) was that every year was a struggle to find out if the show would be renewed... I mean it was literally year-to-year for four years... and finally things got so bleak that JMS shot and filmed the end of the series as the last episode of Season 4, expecting the show to be cancelled.

Then, at the last minute, TNT (yes, TNT of all networks!) stepped forward and picked up the fifth season (the first four seasons had aired in syndication) but unfortunately that turned the fifth season into a bit of an afterthought (or at least it seemed that way to me at the time), with a new female commander, and less "sexy" storylines (thinking the show was a goner, JMS actually altered his original "blueprint" and completed both the Shadow War and the Earth Alliance Civil War during Season Four -- when in fact the Civil War conflict would have occupied the lion's share of Season Five.)

Basically Season Five was a good news/bad news thing -- fans were glad to see the show still around, but the "hurry up and finish" push of Season 4 resulted in there not being a hell of a lot of original Season 5 story to tell. The additional good news was TNT signing on for some additional TV movies and a spin-off series ("Crusade"). But while a couple of the movies were pretty good, JMS quickly had a falling out with TNT, and I believe Crusade was a cancelled lame duck before it even premiered on TNT, with several of the 13 episodes airing out of order or never airing at all until the show washed up in repeats on the Scifi Channel a few years ago.

According to JMS, B5 isn't dead yet, a "Rangers" pilot movie for Scifi when no where a couple of years ago, but JMS, who was one of the earliest creators on any entertainment industry to interact online with fans and was posting via Compuserve and Usenet newsgroups back in the early 90's, has been setting cyberspace afire recently with talk of a secret new "B5:TMoS" that he has in development.

Btw, for fans of his work, JMS also started his own line of comic books several years back, and they have been excellent. He also started writing Spider-Man's flagship "The Amazing Spider-Man" comic book title for Marvel a couple of years ago.

-SB

06-01-04, 01:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Showtime's Jeremiah"
LAST EDITED ON 06-01-04 AT 01:21 AM (EST)

I forgot to note one important detail -- anyone interested in Babylon 5 should also probably be watching Showtime's Jeremiah series, whjich represents JMS' first major return to TV after Babylon 5.

It premiered on Showtime a couple of year's ago and is unfortunately in the middle of a very erratic second season schedule that has resulted in the show being off the air for several months, but supposedly its coming back soon.

The show is based around the idea that a military biological weapon got out and killed every human on Earth who'd entered puberty, leaving nothing but a world of children behind. Set about ten years after the plague hits, it features a scavenger society where the oldest kids are now 20/30-something and in a journey to determine what's left of the world -- with a group of idealistic good-doers struggling against various rising forces of evil as well as dealing with the apparent return of a secret military organiztion that managed to survive the plague -- while also attempting to do some nation-building and revive a crumbled civilization.

So far its been pretty much an Earth-based version of the Babylon 5 storyline (and I mean that in a good way.)

The worst part of the show was the cheesy casting of 80's actors Luke Perry and Malcolm Jamal Warner, but they are actually turning out to be pretty good. A bit more over the top was a guest star appearance by Jason Priestly...

Anyways, for any B5 fans, it's worth a look, I'm not sure if it's already been canned, but if not maybe its not too late to convince Showtime to keep a show with a harder scifi angle than "Dead Like Me" on it's original programming slate (which is a pretty sad downfall for a network that brought us "The Outer Limits" and "Stargate: SG1" for nearly a decade... but that's another story.)

-SB

06-01-04, 09:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Wow!"
You really do know everything, Webby!

I don't get Showtime on my DISH package, and I've never paid the extra for it. Already, I have more TV I want to watch than I can watch. Altho that it is why I was late to StarGAte fandom. Maybe I should ante up!

Have you heard anything about the new StarGate Atlantis? I sure hope it is good, because I will be very bummed when SG-1 ends. Even though I thought the first part of their final season was disappointing.

06-01-04, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Wow!"
I'm excited about StarGate Atlantis, Swami. I've only seen previews for it but I've very excited for it to begin.

a JSlice original. isn't she something?

06-01-04, 08:30 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Wow!"
>You really do know everything, Webby!

Na, just a bit of rather unimportant info on this particular subject. I tend to follow the creative talent behind things I like (whether that be books, TV, movies, music, comic books, etc.) from project to project and JMS spans across a couple of the entertainment mediums I follow, plus he did make himself freely available online in the early 90's and I did meet him in person a couple of times back during the first couple of years of the show, so I have an unusually high knowledge of his work... similar to David E. Kelley and Mark Burnett. If you want real, practical knowledge, go see AyaK

>I don't get Showtime on my DISH package, and I've never
>paid the extra for it. Already, I have more
>TV I want to watch than I can watch.
>Altho that it is why I was late to StarGAte
>fandom. Maybe I should ante up!

When I first subscribed to Showtime, it was specifically because I'd been a huge Richard Dean Anderson/MacGyver fan as a kid (I'd even watched his UPN "Legend" series) and despite never having seen the Stargate movie, wanted to check the (then) new show out. Until then 'd never known The Outer Limits was a Showtime show repeating in syndication about 6 months later...

Similarly I added HBO the next year right before its "From The Earth To The Moon" miniseries was about to premiere... and I've had both since.

>Have you heard anything about the new StarGate Atlantis? I
>sure hope it is good, because I will be very
>bummed when SG-1 ends. Even though I thought the
>first part of their final season was disappointing.

I haven't heard anything about Atlantis other than probably what you've read. I hope its good because I've been bummed that Stargate was going to be ending for some time (originally the series was supposed to end after only one season on Scifi but they later changed their minds, so there's been talk of it ending for some time now.) But NBC and Universal recently merged, and Universal owned The Scifi Channel, so going forward I should now have easy access to all Scifi's press releases, etc. via their new merged media relations site, so I'll let you know if I see anything.

-SB

PS I do have to give Scifi kudos for not destroying "Stargate" like they did with "The Outer Limits" (did anyone else notice all the episodes of the Scifi "Outer Limits "episodes were based around simple, Earth-based plotlines that didn't involve any expensive exotic sets, special effects, etc.?) We'll soon see if this is a sign of things to come with "Atlantis" and the upcoming "Battlestar Galactica" regular series (I'm not charging them with ruining "Andromeda" because that show was well on its way to sucksville before it moved over to Scifi, if I remember right, I think the lead writer left sometime last year -- although I don't follow the show close enough to know if the dropoff was directly related to his departure.)

06-02-04, 10:54 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Wow!"
We'll soon see if this is a sign of things to come with "Atlantis" and the upcoming "Battlestar Galactica" regular series

Gah! I hope not! Most SciFi shows need good special effects. And *I* remember the original BattleStar Galactica. I'm guessing we won't wee the robotic form of the Xylons (sp?) very often because that looks expensive--but we'd better get some good space action!

Hoping, hoping, hoping Atlantis is good!

06-01-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Swami, Deonna and Augie:"
There was an extensive amount of set up for season one. The episodes that actually contained signs and portents were fabulous! The last episode in Season one was great. (Chrysalis) and even though it was not a crucial episode to furthering the general storyline, I enjoyed "DeathWalker" as well.

what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack' .."
"Cats."
"Cats. I'm being nibbled to death by cats."
Londo and Vir, Chrysalis

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

05-31-04, 10:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "Sad News"
Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin) passed away on May 22 from either an aneurysm or a stroke.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=20040522182556.22491.00000701%40mb-m27.aol.com&rnum=1

06-01-04, 11:07 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Sad News"

Dabo...that was news to me and it blew me away! There must be no royalties what so ever from the show, because on Richard Biggs' Official Website his family is asking for doantions to the Biggs childern college fund in lieu of flowers...

06-01-04, 05:55 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Sad News"
I saw his obit in the paper and it mentioned he had been on Days of Our Lives in the early nineties. He played Dr. Marcus Hunter. When I finally saw his picture I couldn't believe it was him.

So very sad.

a JSlice original. isn't she something?

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-04, 03:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Hiya furball"
I'm a Voyager fan myself. I found it surprisingly well-written, and Sweetie and I debate over who's sexier: early Tom Paris or Chakotay (Me: Paris. Him: the other guy). We both adore Janeway, and crack up at 7 of 9's boobs. Still, we rarely miss a rerun. And I think the Borg are one of the coolest inventions around (maybe cuz a jerk in high school's last name was Borg--sweet revenge).

Other than Star Wars, and drooling over Richard Dean Anderson in StarGate (of whom there are "those" rumors about), that's about it for my stuff around science fiction.

CASH Secretary of Hospitality

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Now Warner Brothers cartoons are another story--especially Claude Cat.

06-06-04, 08:25 AM (EST)
17. "Chakotay"
*sigh* Oh yeah.

Claude Cat? Never heard of this.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-04, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Hiya furball"
... 7 of 9's boobs... Yeah, that was one healthy Borg alright.

06-07-04, 06:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Hiya furball"
Whenever she walks across the set, we do the bass drum imitation: *boom BOOM baboom BOOM baboom BOOM baboom*

Handcrafted by RollDdice

06-07-04, 09:19 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Hiya furball"
I find Chakotay sexier. . I dress up as 7 of 9 for Halloween one year. (Of course, I need "help" in the boob department).

Deonna

06-07-04, 06:50 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Hiya furball"
I think Jerri Ryan needed "help" too. One of the things we laugh about is that they seem to keep growing from season to season. Wouldn't it be hard to keep your balance after awhile?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

On the other hand, she didn't need THAT much help, cuz she nearly flashed them all on Boston Public, once. On the other hand she could have had "help" in other ways.

06-07-04, 11:36 AM (EST)
21. "*gasp*"
There are rumors about Richard Dean Anderson? Oh well. I am hot for Christopher Judge! Teal'c invades my dreams, LOL!

I too loved Voyageur! And Chokotay was hot, but I am willing to cross over for 7 of Nine. Anytime. The Borg are very compelling villians. Tom Paris? Too blonde.

06-07-04, 06:55 PM (EST)
23. "RE: *gasp*"
After Jerri Ryan joined Boston Public, there were times that I wondered 'just how gay am I?'

Handcrafted by RollDdice

You still have a chance with Richard Dean Anderson. The rumors are that I have a chance, too, but not exclusively. Chakotay, Paris, or Richard Dean Anderson? I'd take Richard. Definitely.

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

06-07-04, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "*raises hand*"
I actually own season one of Bablyon 5 on Dvd. I've meaning to buy the others, but haven't gotten around to it. I loved Farscape-that guy was so hot.
I really like the Stargate series..I tried watching the new Star Trek series, Enterprise, but haven't been able to get into it much. (it could be because our UPN channel plays it at random times.)

A Kyngsladye Original
"Outwit, Outplay and Outwhatever" ~Big Tom

06-07-04, 07:02 PM (EST)
25. "RE: *raises hand*"
LAST EDITED ON 06-07-04 AT 07:17 PM (EST)

Buckeye, you should think about investing in season two. For starters Sinclair is replaced which is good because his character always seemed kind of flat to me. (Or maybe I disliked the actor?) A new Commander comes on board and the story really begins to unfold. I am about half way through season two now.

Dan!!!!!!!!!! Did you notice Webby posted to my thread? How kewl is that!

mookiemeister 284 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-06-04, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mookiemeister Click to send private message to mookiemeister Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"
Babylon 5 is one of the best series out there. I have season 3 to 5 and want to get 1 and 2 one of these days.

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Einstein

07-08-04, 07:43 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"

Hey Mookiemeister...

We have a "Nookiemeister" on the boards somewhere!

Season one was good, but the storyline really takes shape in season two.

Welcome to the boards! I am not sure we have had the honor to banter!

A 2004 Augie Original: Action figure sold separately

08-31-04, 02:44 PM (EST)
28. "Jeremiah returns"
LAST EDITED ON 08-31-04 AT 02:49 PM (EST)

Just a head's up that I don't think Showtime has promoted it well at all (I say that partly because I just learned of its upcoming return yesterday... by accident) but the second half of the second season of "Jeremiah" will be premiering this Friday night with two new one-hour episodes.

The good news is that it's back on the air with new episodes... the bad news is that although I haven't checked around to confirm it, the long absence from the airwaves, "stealth" return, and the burning off of two episodes a week seems to be the tell-tale signs of a show that a network has defintely given up on and cancelled

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

09-12-04, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Babylon 5 on DVD"
I so *heart* Bablyon 5. I actually watched it before it got cancelled. I have season 1 on DVD, and am slowly planning on buying all 5 seasons. It gets even better...
If you like B5, you might like FarScape as well. It's now out on DVD.

Handcrafted by RollDdice! The fellowship has begun...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •