The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ingrid Q & A"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Joe Schmo Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Psychotron 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

08-11-04, 08:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Psychotron Click to send private message to Psychotron Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Ingrid Q & A"
For Ingrid:

I'm curious to know if there was a defining moment that started the snowball of doubt.

Do you think you would have been as perceptive to little details and inconsistencies later if the model on that first day hadn't mentioned her agent? Was there any combination of evidence that you considered a smoking gun? Might you have remained mostly convinced if the creators had simply been more diligent in filling in the cracks and covering their bases?
- OR -
Was it really the lack of depth to the characters and your personal interactions with the actors? Which would you say affected you more: the rehearsed feel to the actors' performances or the often irrational behavior of the characters? Setting minor holes and screw-ups aside, did the overarching structure of the characters and show in general just seem compellingly implausible?

What would future Truman-like shows need to do to remain convincing? What aspects would you say need to be addressed the most to come close to the edge of ridiculousness without going over the edge (or at least, not going over too early)?

Esbea:

I don't think Joe Schmo is looking for the same type of "contestants" that other "reality" shows are looking for. Most "reality" shows generally don't want ordinary people. I believe such shows try to find people that can fill specific exagerated stereotypes and then prod them until soap opera-like conflict and drama ensues. This is why I appreciate the Joe Schmo show as a parody; the actors push the stereotypes and drama to the extreme. The marks, however, need to nice, open, intelligent, and honest everyday people that just about everyone can empathize with. If other "reality" shows filled their ranks with similar people, the participants would all be polite, rationally cooperative, with greater perspective, and never willing to seriously sacrifice their reputation to win a meaningless game. In other words, the show would be completely boring.

An unrelated tangent:

I've never much liked these post-Survivor machinated "reality" shows, and despite it being listed here, I don't consider Joe Schmo to be one of them. I do however very much appreciate straightforward reality shows like Cops or Trauma: Life in the ER, and I especially like prank shows like Scare Tactics and Girls Behaving Badly, which is where I categorize Joe Schmo. The scale, though, on Joe Schmo, is so much greater than its predecessors.

I was not impressed with the first season much, largely due to the creators playing it safe by choosing Matt (He believed the "prima facie" line? Obviously, he didn't even glance at his contract), but the acting, humor, and chosen marks were much more sophisticated and interesting on the second season, despite the constant stream of sexual innuendo. If they are able to continue this trend, future seasons will really be something.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Ingrid Q & A   Esbea     08-11-04       
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   mmm_link     08-11-04     1  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   Original Jane     08-12-04     34  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   mmm_link     08-12-04     52  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-11-04     2  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   Original Jane     08-12-04     35  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   Rabies     08-13-04     56  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   RacerX68     08-11-04     3  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     12  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   Esbea     08-11-04     4  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   Original Jane     08-12-04     37  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   SurvivorBlows     08-12-04     38  
   To anyone checking for replies   Esbea     08-11-04     5  
     RE: To anyone checking for replies   Original Jane     08-12-04     40  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   Megacanuck     08-11-04     6  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   Psychotron     08-11-04     7  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   Rabies     08-13-04     55  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   RacerX68     08-11-04     8  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-11-04     10  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-12-04     19  
             RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     21  
                 RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-12-04     23  
                     RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     27  
                         RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-12-04     30  
                         IF......   Esbea     08-12-04     32  
                             RE: IF......   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     54  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-12-04     20  
             RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     22  
                 RE: Ingrid Q & A   Drive My Car     08-12-04     24  
                     RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     29  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   Original Jane     08-12-04     41  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   ladro     08-11-04     9  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   Original Jane     08-12-04     42  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-12-04     13  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   mmm_link     08-12-04     14  
     Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Esbea     08-12-04     15  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   mmm_link     08-12-04     16  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Deonna     08-12-04     17  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Drive My Car     08-12-04     18  
             *smooch*   Esbea     08-12-04     31  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   RacerX68     08-12-04     25  
             RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Deonna     08-12-04     28  
                 RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   RacerX68     08-12-04     33  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   RacerX68     08-12-04     26  
             RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Original Jane     08-12-04     43  
                 absolutely   Esbea     08-12-04     44  
                 RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   erickman     08-12-04     45  
         RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   SurvivorBlows     08-12-04     39  
             RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   Esbea     08-12-04     46  
                 RE: Is "Jane" Schmo-ing us?   SurvivorBlows     08-12-04     49  
                     Of course!   Esbea     08-12-04     50  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   SurvivorBlows     08-12-04     36  
         RE: Ingrid Q & A   ParadiseLost     08-13-04     57  
             hmmmmm....   Esbea     08-13-04     58  
                 RE: hmmmmm....   ParadiseLost     08-13-04     60  
                 RE: hmmmmm....   Schnookie Palookie     08-16-04     61  
   RE: Ingrid Q & A   Esbea     08-12-04     47  
     RE: Ingrid Q & A   schmoe     08-13-04     59  
   To Ingrid   Deonna     08-12-04     48  
   Ingrid   Drive My Car     08-12-04     53  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •