The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"And the winner is....."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-03-08, 06:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"And the winner is....."
.....or does it even matter?

Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler, Jennifer Hudson, Kat McPhee all seem to be doing just fine as non-winners, while Rueben Studdard, Taylor Hicks, and Fantasia Barrino barely make blips on the screen.

So does it really matter who wins? DW and I have decided that we don't even care if David A., the "Chosen One" wins. We're just voting for Jason, David C., and Michael to keep them around so we can continue to see them perform week to week. We'll still buy they're iTunes and whatever albums they release after the competition is over, just like we'll buy every Daughtry and Bo Bice album that's released.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: And the winner is..... Iconoclastic 04-03-08 1
   RE: And the winner is..... nailbone 04-03-08 5
 RE: And the winner is..... Snidget 04-03-08 2
 RE: And the winner is..... Glow 04-03-08 3
 RE: And the winner is..... bullzeye 04-03-08 4
 RE: And the winner is..... KeithFan 04-03-08 6
 RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 7
   RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 8
   RE: And the winner is..... Iconoclastic 04-03-08 9
       RE: And the winner is..... nailbone 04-03-08 10
           RE: And the winner is..... Iconoclastic 04-03-08 11
               RE: And the winner is..... Snidget 04-03-08 12
                   RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 15
                       RE: And the winner is..... Snidget 04-03-08 18
               RE: And the winner is..... Glow 04-03-08 14
                   RE: And the winner is..... nailbone 04-03-08 16
                       RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 17
       RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 13
 RE: And the winner is..... zazzy 04-03-08 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Iconoclastic 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-03-08, 07:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Iconoclastic Click to send private message to Iconoclastic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: And the winner is....."
I would just challenge one thing about your assertion. Fantasia Barrino and Rueben Studdard each have one platinum and one gold record and Taylor Hicks has a platinum record while Katherine McPhee didn't even hit gold. Winning Idol is no guarantee of success (see Jordan Sparks) but it certainly does help.

04-03-08, 09:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: And the winner is....."
I stand corrected. Taylor had a platinum album??? I never heard anything about it.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 08:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: And the winner is....."
I think being the winner can help over being just one of the also-rans when it comes to a jump start for the career.

It seems around here they are more likely to at least get some air play of their songs and more promotion as the winner than any of the other idols get. Unfortunately it seems that with the extra opportunities also comes extra control, so it can be a mixed bag. If you don't have the talent to make the most of the opportunities, or they shove you in a direction that doesn't work, it can backfire.

However, losing the contest doesn't mean you can't do well, if you have talent and can make the most of opportunities you have. After all even if you lose the record companies know you have a lot of name recognition and so you are more likely than random unknown talented person to have enough fans to make it worth taking a chance on you.

You also are more of a known quantity. They know they can toss you on stage and you can perform because they have the evidence, etc. The advantage to not winning is I think you have more control over the creative side so sometimes you do better because you more quickly get to do what suits you.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: And the winner is....."
Bucky, Bo, Josh Gracin, Elliott Yamin (whose mother just passed away... RIP Claudette), Clay, and I expect we'll soon be adding Ace Young and Phil Stacey.

another JSlice masterpiece

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: And the winner is....."
It just goes to show that the record executives aren't the ones voting here.

An Agman!

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 09:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: And the winner is....."
I think you are mostly right Bone.

There are a lot of people who watch the show and don't vote (like me) who may go out and buy a CD. I think this is the reason many non-winners are successful.

I can't wait for the Renaldo Lapuz release.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-03-08, 09:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: And the winner is....."
LAST EDITED ON 04-03-08 AT 09:30 AM (EST)

I also disagree with your assessment of some of the former AIers.

I'm guessing that perhaps you don't listen to the stations that play Ruben and Fantasia's music. Each of them has had more than one cd and I think they may have each sold over 2M cd's, cumulatively.

Fantasia has been on Broadway in the Color Purple and I think I read they are talking about filming the Broadway production and she would be in it. She sold her life story and made a Lifetime movie of it, starred in it and I think it may have been the highest rated first showing Lifetime had or something like that. (Never did I think I would be defending Fantasia, lol, I just didn't like how manipulated Season 3 was.)

Taylor and 19E/M had some sort of issue and they did NOT promote his album and it appears they even campaigned to keep his songs off the air, while promoting the heck out of Chris. Whatever. It worked and Chris has sold nearly 4m copies! Taylor's album did ship a million copies and I read on fan boards that some people could not find it in stores--all the while Chris's was being promoted at Walmart for $7.99.

Taylor was on the cover of People, toured extensively, and is now working on an album that will reflect his musical style better than the one Clive had him do. He went his own way, taking the route of signing with the Firm, and not 19M. The ones you see on the AI stage--like Kellie getting asked back last year and Kat was not--are the ones who are hooked in with Clive and 19M. Taylor wrote a book about his life. He got a good advance on it, too. Last thing I heard about him was he was looking into developing a club in a new entertainment district in Alabama. B'ham? Don't know.

Kat's album didn't take too well (never even sold 500,000) so now she is under David Foster's wing going a new route and that brought her back to the AI stage. That's why she was so grateful to be there! Imagine seeing Kellie who was not even top 4 get invited back, Daughtry, and Elliot...and she didn't get a call last season.

There is a lot of crap and control going on with the Idol performers long after they are off the Idol tour. Some agree to it because they like the exposure of 30M people! I think if you go on the show you need to be prepared to play it their way for 2-3 years and ride the awareness wave of your name and style. After that, enough other idols have come along and they probably drop you from the label anyway, and then you can do your thing. Looking forward to hearing Bo's new album!

P.S. Only around 5% of albums produced in the music industry sell over 500,000 copies, so AI has had a big impact. I'll see what numbers I can find.

04-03-08, 09:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: And the winner is....."
LAST EDITED ON 04-03-08 AT 09:36 AM (EST)

P.P.S. Elliot did not sign with Clive but did use Sony/BMG to distribute his album...somehow he has managed to go his own way without alienating TPTB and has gotten asked back to sing, was already back with Fantasia in Africa in the clip 2 weeks ago...and I think his album has now hurdled 500,000. Actually, Elliot seems to have found a satisfactory recipe of after Idol life.

04-03-08, 09:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Iconoclastic Click to send private message to Iconoclastic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: And the winner is....."
"I'll see what numbers I can find."

I've found this to be a good source. Throwing the numbers into Excel:

Average total album sales for:
Idol winner: 3,976,167
Runner-up: 1,075,333
3rd Place: 138,500
4th Place: 799,333

04-03-08, 10:12 AM (EST)
10. "RE: And the winner is....."
So 3rd place is definitely NOT the place to be. I wonder why the huge disparity of 4th over 3rd?

04-03-08, 10:17 AM (EST)
11. "RE: And the winner is....."
One word, DAUGHTRY. Even if you factor him out though, 4th place still does better on average with 175,200.

04-03-08, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: And the winner is....."
It seems it is common for one of the ones everyone expects to make it to the finale to get bumped out at #4

That "they are probably safe so I'll vote for someone else" kind of thing that seems to hit more years than not.

I think the "shocking only made it to #4 boots) tend to have enough popularity and talent they do better than the "we need to save them this week" weaker #3 finishers.

04-03-08, 12:25 PM (EST)
15. "RE: And the winner is....."
Hey, Snidget, did you see the message I left for you in the Michael thread?

04-03-08, 05:45 PM (EST)
18. "RE: And the winner is....."
I missed it, thanks for pointing it out
resistance is futile

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

04-03-08, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: And the winner is....."
LAST EDITED ON 04-03-08 AT 11:00 AM (EST)

Thanks for the link, icon!

I would like to note that Chris is #4 in the albums sold with his first album. Kelly's #1 with three. Carrie's #2 with two. Clay is #3 with three (I thought it was four but the 4th is yet to be released).

Cool to see Josh in the top 10. His second album was just released. My Bucky's at 14.

I'm hoping to soon see a major increase in Bo's and Bucky's album sales. *crosses fingers* Bo's first album wasn't what anybody was expecting. His second is so much better but I'm not so sure people realized it was released. Hoping that his appearance on AI helps him out in a big way. It should bump him up at least above Pickle for a while.

04-03-08, 02:31 PM (EST)
16. "RE: And the winner is....."
I'm one that didn't know about Bo's second album, but I'm definitely going to get it.

04-03-08, 03:41 PM (EST)
17. "RE: And the winner is....."
Would love to hear what you think of it. I have The Real Thing...and it just wasn't Bo. So, I have not committed to the new one yet but am thinking about it.

04-03-08, 10:42 AM (EST)
13. "RE: And the winner is....."
Good find, Iconoclastic!

04-03-08, 07:34 PM (EST)
19. "RE: And the winner is....."
LAST EDITED ON 04-03-08 AT 07:34 PM (EST)

Just saw Ace on AI Extra...first time I have ever seen AI Extra--I guess it has been around for awhile. Anyway, Ace is on from around 0:34 in the hour, right after Constantine gets his hair worked on.

Ace said he turned down his initial album offers and worked corporate gigs to earn money to do an album his way. I think he may have written the whole thing. Sounds like yet another shrewed way to go. He is friends with Elliot and Daughtry and Taylor so I imagine they have been giving him advice.

Anyway, after his interview he gets to sing something from his new album. He sings "Addicted". I think the album comes out in May.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •