The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"show ends the 10th of aug"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Joe Schmo Forum (Protected)
Current Message

ParadiseLost 42 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

08-07-04, 07:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ParadiseLost Click to send private message to ParadiseLost Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: show ends the 10th of aug"
What's amazing is that we both think this is probably the best show on TV right now, but we think so for reasons that are polar opposites.

When Tim, keeping as stiff an upper lip as he could, said after his eviction that if he could paint his feelings on a canvas, it would be mostly black, he was serious. He tried to smile and act lighthearted, but you could tell that he was in some real pain.

Here's my guess: you didn't give a rat's a## about that. You could barely wait to get thru the paragraph I just wrote about it.

There's a pathos to this series as well as brilliant, silly, and outrageous humor. That pathos stems from the fact that there are real people with real feelings being manipulated. Matt Kennedy Gould could laugh at himself and appreciate the joke played on him by "The Joe Schmo Show", as well as appreciate the money and gifts he won, but I'll bet he still isn't over the feeling of betrayal that Brian the Buddy wasn't his buddy at all. If he were to work thru it, it would require spending a lot of time with the real Brian and re-establishing a new relationship.

This series, "Joe Schmo 2", has a similarly good-hearted victim - this one said he would give a KIDNEY to the fake overbearing intimidating father of a fake girl, because he believes in this so much and he likes this fake girl so much. And the sincerity of his intention was verified by a polygraph machine.

Eleanor putting the make on the blow up doll - so funny I was rolling on the floor. Derek: "Omarosa - uh, Ambrosia, do you have any parting gifts? Sorry - parting words?" - hysterical! Montecore flying into the glass window on rehearsals - funny as hell, and I'm a hard core animal lover. As long as he wasn't really hurt. Rhett Reese totally absolving Jana Speaker of any blame for Ingrid catching on - I couldn't stop laughing! We all know why he did it, too! Despite that misleading nasal voice, he's a total red-blooded all-American male.

As you said, humor on a lot of levels.

Now TJ in the bathroom on a chain didn't do it for me - but if that cracked you up, fantastic! That just makes us different. It doesn't make me better than you or you better than me. It is impossible for me to act condescending to you because when I say you don't give a damn about aspects of this show like the producers panicking that their entire series and livelyhood is going to crash and burn, like Ingrid questioning her own sanity, like Tim seriously falling for a girl that doesn't exist, ALL I'm saying is that you don't give a damn about aspects of this show like the producers panicking that their entire series and livelyhood is going to crash and burn, like Ingrid questioning her own sanity, and like Tim seriously falling for a girl that doesn't exist. You said yourself that you found this stuff boring. There is NO "JUDGEMENT" implied or present in my re-stating it.

You said: "If the schmoes realize the reality is fake, the humor is lost. If the schmoes are too stupid, than the show veers into an exploitation of their stupidity."

I ask: Exactly what is in between? They either figure it out or they don't. If they don't, then they are truly "schmoes". That's what this series is all about. And that's why for me the reveal is the most riveting part. Because it's like - um, we've been enjoying their gullibility, laughing at them buying this stuff, but then there's also a few of us that are a little afraid for them, because altho we know that they are going to feel like crap when they find out, we don't want them feeling TOO bad. It's back to that pathos thing. But it's my fear for them that is actually part of why I find this show entertaining - that dramatic aspect - so in my own way I have as much a hand in exploiting them as anyone else.

As far as I know, I am so far in the minority here in my views on this show that it's ridiculous for me to even post here. Because in addition to laughing till it hurts, I have one other response to this show, and it's one that's patently clear I'm totally alone in on this site - I take this show very, VERY seriously. I really, REALLY care.

So you shouldn't feel judged or looked down on, buddy. You should be laughing your a## off at me. Sneering down at me. Just like everyone else here does.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 show ends the 10th of aug   erickman     07-31-04       
   RE: show ends the 10th of aug   ladro     07-31-04     1  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   erickman     08-01-04     2  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   vixie     08-05-04     15  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   xserver     08-01-04     3  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   ladro     08-01-04     4  
             RE: show ends the 10th of aug   erickman     08-01-04     5  
             RE: show ends the 10th of aug   xserver     08-04-04     11  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   Rabies     08-09-04     34  
   RE: show ends the 10th of aug   toddE     08-02-04     6  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   erickman     08-02-04     7  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   CantStandToLook     08-03-04     8  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   Loree     08-03-04     9  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   schmoe     08-04-04     12  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   MegsSweetPea     08-04-04     14  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   ParadiseLost     08-05-04     16  
             RE: show ends the 10th of aug   schmoe     08-05-04     17  
                 RE: show ends the 10th of aug   ParadiseLost     08-06-04     19  
                     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   schmoe     08-07-04     20  
                         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   ParadiseLost     08-07-04     21  
                             Response   Esbea     08-07-04     23  
                                 RE: Response   vixie     08-07-04     25  
                                 Response 2: Here to Sneer   ParadiseLost     08-09-04     28  
                                     RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   ParadiseLost     08-09-04     29  
                                     RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   Esbea     08-09-04     30  
                                         RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   ParadiseLost     08-10-04     36  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   Esbea     08-10-04     39  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   ParadiseLost     08-10-04     43  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   Esbea     08-10-04     44  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   ParadiseLost     08-11-04     45  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer   Esbea     08-11-04     46  
                                         RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer - The...   ParadiseLost     08-10-04     37  
                                             RE: Response 2: Here to Sneer - The...   Esbea     08-10-04     38  
                                         PM question   bdemoney     08-11-04     47  
                                             RE: PM question   Deonna     08-11-04     48  
                                             RE: PM question   Esbea     08-11-04     49  
                                             RE: PM question   Deonna     08-11-04     50  
                                     additional   Esbea     08-09-04     33  
                     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   Deonna     08-07-04     22  
                         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   Esbea     08-07-04     24  
                     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   EnglProf     08-11-04     51  
   RE: show ends the 10th of aug   Rabies     08-04-04     10  
     RE: show ends the 10th of aug   mmm_link     08-04-04     13  
         RE: show ends the 10th of aug   vixie     08-06-04     18  
   are you sure?   I_AM_HE     08-09-04     26  
     RE: are you sure?   vixie     08-09-04     27  
     RE: are you sure?   erickman     08-09-04     31  
     RE: are you sure?   Esbea     08-09-04     32  
         RE: are you sure?   vixie     08-10-04     35  
             RE: are you sure?   Esbea     08-10-04     40  
                 RE: are you sure?   vixie     08-10-04     42  
         Speaking of Hosing it up   Esbea     08-10-04     41  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •