The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

jamman 9 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-20-02, 10:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jamman Click to send private message to jamman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Thanks to Bunglers excellent EP5 Vidcap preview I think we have the answer. Look at picture 12. Looks like a stack of javelins behind JP?

Look at pictures 9 and 10. The bases of the trees behind each tribe are marked in their tribal colors. The trees are also on a plot of land surrounded by a nice rock wall so it was obviously constructed there.

Episode 5 definitely has all the looks of a Javelin Throw RC.

Sound good?

Jamman

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? SurvivorBlows 03-20-02 1
   RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? jamman 03-20-02 2
   Could very well be George Tirebiter 03-20-02 3
   RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? Krautboy 03-21-02 4
       RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? jamman 03-21-02 10
 RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? GTmike 03-21-02 5
 RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? ConningOfficer 03-21-02 6
   RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ? KLicK 03-21-02 7
       Could it be an IC? bigtomshouldhavewon 03-21-02 8
           RE: Could it be an IC? jamman 03-21-02 9
               RE: Could it be an IC? Naked 03-21-02 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-20-02, 10:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Um, I must be missing something, but what do TREES have to do with javelins???

I must be missing something. Wouldn't it be easier to hit a TARGET instead of a tree sapling???

-SB

03-20-02, 10:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jamman Click to send private message to jamman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
One of the traditional Marquesean island pastimes is the Javelin Throw. As seen on SurvivorFever.net they throw the Javelin "up" at coconuts. MB and company would probably change it somewhat but the premise would be the same. (see below)

jamman

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-20-02, 11:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Could very well be"
LAST EDITED ON 03-20-02 AT 11:05 PM (EST)

If you look at the survivorfever site, you'll see a page of possible challenges, and javelins ARE one of the possibilities. To quote the relevant section of that page:

The Javelin has been incorporated into the traditional festival games because it represents the ancient skills necessary to acquire food and also to defend it and your tribal members from attack These skills exhibited in the Javelin competitions are quite impressive and exciting. The Javelin Throw migrated from Tuamotu to Tahiti and was quickly adopted throughout the archipelagoes.
The particulars of the sport have changed somewhat from ancient times. Originally the Javelin Throw, according to Ma'ohi mythology, was invented by the gods to show their power before man. The goal, when first practiced in ancient times, was to demonstrate power by throwing the Javelin as far as possible. These days it is more of a skill sport, with accuracy a key element.

In Polynesian javelin sporting events, the competitors each have ten javelins which are about 6 ft. long and are cut from a straight branch of long flexible sticks called purau, with sharpened rebar on the ends. The competitors are allotted a certain amount of time in which they throw their javelins at the target.

The target is a coconut about 50 yards away on a mast about 50 feet in the air swaying in the breeze. The competitor who hits the coconut closest to the top wins. After the javelins have been thrown within the allotted time, they are then retrieved and the coconut removed from the pole, and measured to determine the winner of the round. A new coconut is then raised on the pole, and the competitors throw their javelins again. There are several rounds to determine the winners.
The Javelins are aimed with one hand like a pool cue and then thrown with the other hand holding the back end of the Javelin, using a one-handed under-hand throw. The Javelin Thrower must pierce through the coconut, and thus timing and accuracy are vital as the tropic breezes are an additional factor to consider.

If this island sport is adapted to a Survivor challenge, it is very probable that the target will be much closer and most likely dead still, as the skills to master participation in this sport is acquired through extensive practice.

And if you look in Bungler's pix, that pile o' stuff doesn't just include sticks, it could very well include coconuts, as well. I can think of equally stupid challenges. . .

GT

Edited to say CRAP! We posted at the same time!

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-21-02, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
SB: For some reason the top of the "saplings" are cropped out of the picture...

Could it be that the targets are at the top of the poles we see. Maybe coconuts sitting on top of the poles that must be knocked off with the javelins?

Krautboy

03-21-02, 07:30 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Yes Krautboy. I believe the targets will be at the top of the polls/trees. I think instead of CoCo's they might use bails of hey. Just a thought.

jamman

GTmike 1255 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

03-21-02, 01:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail GTmike Click to send private message to GTmike Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Good job y'all.

The two possible scenarios I can see with this challenge are:

1) plate/pot (indidividual) immunity challenge style where if get all of your tribe's javelins onto the opposing tribe's targets you win

or (more likely)

2) First tribe to hit all of their own targets with a javellin wins

Most likely done in a turn style like the archery challenge last season.

ConningOfficer 585 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

03-21-02, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ConningOfficer Click to send private message to ConningOfficer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
I can think of a few people that should be "javelin catchers" on this show...

KLicK 316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

03-21-02, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KLicK Click to send private message to KLicK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Episode 5 Javelin Throw RC ?"
Is it possible they are stilts? Stilt walking is also mentioned as a possible challenge, and I see a stool to the right of the picture of the tribes on mats.

bigtomshouldhavewon 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

03-21-02, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bigtomshouldhavewon Click to send private message to bigtomshouldhavewon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Could it be an IC?"
How do you know this is for the RC? It could be the IC.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies". (The Shawshank Redemption)

03-21-02, 07:25 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Could it be an IC?"
I believe its an RC because in this preview JP says the reward is to raid the other tribes camp. If it was immunity he would say so. That's my take.

ps nice quote!

Naked 887 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-21-02, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Naked Click to send private message to Naked Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Could it be an IC?"
jamman,

Agreed

Great name by the way

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •