The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-31-07, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
A lot has been said over the course of Season 6 about how it is was not a great season of Idol, how it has 'jumped the shark', how the ratings are down, is Idol sliding, etc etc etc. I agree, it wasn't a stellar season, but at the same time, it wasn't all bad either. I thought a thread should be started where we all can share what we thought was bad AND GOOD about this past season. And, of course, i'll start...in no particular order.

The Good
---------

* Melinda Doolittle. You all know i love her, and she is what Idol is all about. I put her right up there with Chris Daughtry as to demonstrate the power of Idol. I think she has the potential to rise above all the other idols.
* This year's songs were a breath of fresh air. yes, there were repeats, and some gaggers, but overall this season we heard new, fresh songs that have never been sung on Idol before.
* Blake Lewis, who was the 'dark horse' this season. He improved tremendously, and quite frankly had a good shot to take it all...barring the crapfest of the coronation song.
* Sanjaya. Love him, or hate him, he brought a buzz to an otherwise buzz-free season. He had a stellar audition (which caused some to speculate a possible win) but then fizzled once the top-24 started. Although he never reached the potential shown in the audition, it was a fun ride.
* Beatles catalog in the future.
* All the past Idols returning for the finale, except for Fantasia who had a good excuse. The one bright spot of the finale.

The Bad
--------
* Early departures for both Sundance and Sligh. I don't know why Sundance left so early, but Sligh's mouth got him kicked. They both had huge potential and the season would have been better with them around longer.
* The mentors. I think it was a weak crop of mentors this year. Lulu and Peter Noone did great, though.
* Haley.
* The finale. Snoozefest.
* The Top-24 cut. This still bothers me. There were several incredible singers that did NOT make the cut, like pedicab girl, and NY workout girl, and more. There was some good potential overlooked, and several Barbie-types picked instead.
* Jordin's pimpage. What more can be said. I think they were drooling over a "young Idol".

I'll add more w/ edits when they come to mind.

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... YankeeDixieDoodle 05-31-07 1
   RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... geekboy 05-31-07 2
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... bzooti 05-31-07 3
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... Colonel Zoidberg 06-01-07 4
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... susang 06-01-07 5
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... Snidget 06-01-07 6
   RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... geekboy 06-01-07 7
 RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... iltarion 06-06-07 8
   RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... AshLanie 06-08-07 9
       RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... YankeeDixieDoodle 06-13-07 10
       RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The ... bullzeye 06-16-07 11
 The Bad zombiebaby 06-20-07 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-31-07, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Melinda Doolittle was my pick for this season's winner. Chris Daughtry, last season. And, Clay Aiken, second season.
The Top-24 cut didn't make sense to me, either. I agree that some of the best singers didn't make the cut.
Do you consider Haley one of the Barbie-types?

05-31-07, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
* Smirk *

bzooti 82 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-31-07, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bzooti Click to send private message to bzooti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
wow.

no fair, I think I agree with all of it!

expecially this part:

"... quite frankly had a good shot to take it all...barring the crapfest of the coronation song."

I'd just add to the Bad:

* Hollywood round. Next time, how about showing us what actually happened there?

* Bios. They went from the extreme of MAJOR pimping their faves, starting way early, to telling us close to zero about anybody until the Top 3, when it was way too late. Silly me, I choose my idols on more than just their talent.

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

06-01-07, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Good: Jordin was an excellent singer who deserved to win the competition.
Bad: The whole connection with her as a borderline professional and her dad having been a pro football player doesn't exactly make her an underdog.

Good: Melinda was a good singer when she was on her game and deserved to go far.
Bad: Listening to the judges lick her boots and fawn over her when she wasn't always the best got old after a while, and at her worst, she sounded like Toni Braxton with a 4-pack-a-day habit.

Good: Blake was one of the most unique contestants the show has ever had, and he turned his good voice into a good run.
Bad: Early in the voting rounds, he had a couple of performances that were just terrible that the judges and America seemed to overlook.

Good: Lakisha was the best singer in the competition - within her comfort zone.
Bad: She was completely lost outside of it. See: Barry Gibb week.

Good: Sanjaya was clearly just having fun and was the second-best pure performer next to Blake.
Bad: As far as singing goes, he was overmatched and everyone knew it.

Good: There were a few completely insane auditions that were memorable (the lady who said she wanted to be the next American Idol despite not being a singer comes to mind.)
Bad: No one stood out for being bad. There was no Willian Hung in the crowd. And the bad were just bad, not the "so bad they're good" most of the time.

Good: Sundance was one of the best singers in the competition - when he was on his game.
Bad: He wasn't always on his game, and he was subpar when he wasn't.

Good: Seeing Blake and Jordin do what they do best in the finale.
Bad: My DVR missed the announcement because they just had to try to cram 150 minutes of crap into 120 minutes...and couldn't do it. Thank EPNL for rewind.

susang 435 desperate attention whore postings

06-01-07, 12:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail susang Click to send private message to susang Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Good:

I loved Brit Week

Bad:

The Celine Dion/Elvis "duet" (very weird, IMO)

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-01-07, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Good: We had several really excellent singers who had consistancy.

Bad: All the consistantly good singers were all female diva types and it gave the season an overall lack of diversity which I think was part of what hurt it in the ratings. If you didn't want to hear Mariah wannabes you really didn't have much to pick from.

Bad: Too many singers (again) who were great in the very first audition tanked in Hollywood (what we saw of it) and they all kept tanking during the first several shows (Sundance, Sanjaya, Sligh, what is it with the esses)

We loved them in the first audition, you loved them in the first audition, but time and time and time and time again we see that those that crack hard during the Hollywood week do not suddenly uncrack when the pressure goes up of the season. You have the opportunity to see who can't handle the stress, USE IT! Don't pretend that really bad performances in the Hollywood pressure cooker have no meaning.

Bad: TOO MANY BAD AUDITIONS, and they weren't entertainingly bad, just bad. There has to be someone left out there who is so bad they are good, hold out for them, small doses of the truely awful is much better than moderateluy bad singer overkill.

Bad: With too many bad auditions we didn't get to see enough of the good, we want to fall in love early and hard and root for people, and we can't do that when we get a top 24 and all we can say is huh? who are these people?

Good: Blake somehow managed to get in the top 24 even without being a total cut out cookie of someone else. More of that please. It is refreshing when we get people who are willing to take risks (Fantasia's Summertime, Bo's acapella, etc. heck even Sanjaya of the wild hair was risky in his own follicular way). I'd rather have lots of people taking big risks and mucking it up than people who play it safe all the time.

Dancing to the Tribe!

06-01-07, 01:14 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
Thank you, Snidget, for the excellent additions to my list.

I agree with you 100%.

geekboy

iltarion 1791 desperate attention whore postings

06-06-07, 00:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail iltarion Click to send private message to iltarion Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
The Good:

Blake Lewis - Original and talented. Him making it to the Finals made every show worth watching. Understandable he didn't win though.
British Invasion Week- Best week of the season, easily. Blake and Haley delivered two of my favorite performances all-time.
Bon Jovi Week - Great performances by everyone, especially Blake and Phil, but all around good week for everyone. 2 people were booted, which was a shame because really no one deserved to go.
Jordan singing "I Who Have Nothing." Won her this season. Amazing both times. I was thinking "American Idol" when she sang that song.
The Finale being very good, if not quite as good as last year. Best performances were Carrie Underwood's version of "I'll Stand by You," Taylor's "That's How Much You Mean to Me," and the Sargeant Pepper composition near the end was amazing.
The Top 24 was a very attractive and diverse group. I was really pumped for the first couple voting rounds. Unfortunately, most of the more attractive and more diverse people were booted off earliest, leaving us with a somewhat undiverse and marginally attractive Top 12.
Haley Scarnato - Last eye-candy left. Glad she made it as far as she did. Her version of "Tell Him" was one of my favorite performances of the season.

The BAD:

Sanjaya and VFTW trying to hijack the show. Don't see the appeal. Never did. Sorry. More versatile and talented guys were left by the wayside so this chum could advance. Having hair isn't a skill.
The judges ripping anything subtle and smooth. If you couldn't belt it out, you weren't labeled a "good singer" this season. You don't have to be able to scream to be a good singer. This left us with no diversity other than Blake at F4.
Inspirational Week - I thought this was going to be the best week of the season. There are so many great inspirational songs. I was very disappointed by the song choices. Most the songs picked were either not inspirational or just boring songs.
Some terrible early boots after F24 left us with a somewhat boring F12. The judges only appreciated one kind of singing and therefore that is what we got, mostly, at F12.
The F12 not getting to sing more during the Finale. The men and women's sing-together were both shorted by a guest singer joining them. Yes, I love Smokey Robinson and Gladys Knight, but let the guys and the gals sing a couple songs by themselves first. Also, only Blake, Jordan, Melinda and Sanjaya got to sing numbers by themselves. Let more of the F12 get to sing one last time by themselves, and let at least the F4 sing. That was all done much better last year.
Lastly, filler. Cut the crap and shorten the length of these shows!!

AshLanie 895 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

06-08-07, 07:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AshLanie Click to send private message to AshLanie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
The Bad:

Setting it up so a female is the winner. Stacked decent females singers compared to the males.

Paula and her non senseable comments.

Randy with his what's up daw etc...just how old is this guy anyhow?

And then there is Seacrest....no explanation needed?

Voting..again, no explanation needed.

AI and their self promoting try at being charitable. It is AI so why go outside the americans to be chatitable? I know Africa is the latest fad (Sad but give it a year and the celebrities will all fall in line for another charity) for celebrities to be involved in but if one wants to do good keep it in the Americas. Children here need help-runaways, orphanages, etc etc etc.

The silly golden awards they give out for bad acts....get back to showing us the good acts preseason and let the bad ones fall to the wayside.

Giving the bad acts a trophy and more time than (arg forgot ehr name dang it-the country western singer, blonde hair etc) the female who got best AI for the year. I was shocked that they didn't give her a trophy or a plaque...or something.

The Good:

That suprise suprise, a male actually made it to the final two (And imho should have won-to me he was a true AI-bringing in a new style etc-thought that is what AI was suppose to be about?...not about the winner already being a professional?).

That this season has been put out of its misery....and that maybe the producers have learned a thing or two and does some revamping.

That the non winners, in time, become just as big if not bigger stars than the winners (with the exception of Kelly Clarkson who is still up there).

And last but not least:

That because of AI, friendships have been made through this forum...

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings

06-13-07, 06:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
I think entirely too much time was wasted, during the auditions, on hideously bad performances. That was bad enough. Having them back, for the finale, was beyond ludicrous.

bullzeye 5030 desperate attention whore postings

06-16-07, 10:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bullzeye Click to send private message to bullzeye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Looking back on Season 6 - The Good And The Bad"
That because of AI, friendships have been made through this forum...

So true - it was a pleasure getting to know so many folks who posted here a little better!

Snidget's to blame!

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

06-20-07, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "The Bad"
I came in here for the first time in awhile because well...
I had to check back here to see what the name of the winner was again. DH and I could not remember. It's been a month?

Totally.Forgettable.

The good?

Well Sanjaya and the fun he brought to this dull, dull season. When he left so did the fun.

I bet I would have remebered if Sanjaya had won.

One more of J
Slice's Awesome Creations!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •