The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Best Performances of the Season"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-23-07, 02:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Best Performances of the Season"
Since this trainwreck (IMO) of a season is basically over, how about a couple lists. Make any kind of list you want, but I'll be putting up my favorite performances (Top 16 and on, so I have a decision to make)

My Personal Best Performances

Antonella Barba (eliminated in Round of 16)
Best: Put Your Records On
Reason: For her weak voice (comparatively), picking a lighter song should have done her well. Her reputation was solidified at that point, but I still don't think she was horrid with the CBR song.

Sabrina Sloan (eliminated in Round of 16)
Best: All The Man That I Need
Reason: I don't remember her that well, she was the 5th of 5 divas really. The only one I vaguely remember is the one I listed under "best".

Sundance Head (eliminated in Round of 16)
Best: Mustang Sally
Reason: Easy pick here, one of the two songs he ever sang really well (this and the audition). It riled the crowd up and even made VFTW re-consider their allegiance. Plus, Nights in White Satin and especially Jeremy were disasters.

Jared Cotter (eliminated in Round of 16)
Best: Let's Get It On
Reason: I want to say "If You Really Love Me", because that was the first recognition of his eerie similarity to Bert, but I think it was LGIO.

Brandon Rogers (eliminated in Round of 12)
Best: I Just Want To Celebrate
Reason: He wasn't as good as MJ, he did a Cyndi Lauper song, and then he got booted. This is the choice.

Stephanie Edwards (eliminated in Round of 11)
Best: How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
Reason: This is the one song that really stood out and made her an early favorite for me. Probably the only reason she lasted this long.

Chris Sligh (eliminated in Round of 10)
Best: Trouble
Reason: Not as good as Taylor's, and his "She's Not There" is also up there, but I think this showed off his voice the best. His bash of Simon could be counted too.

Gina Glocksen (eliminated in Round of 9)
Best: I'll Stand By You
Reason: I think this one featured another horrid fashion choice, but I think this is the one song where her voice really matched what was meant to be sung. For someone who really disliked her in the competition, this was her best to me.

Haley Scarnato (eliminated in Round of 8)
Best: Tell Him
Reason: For someone who was completely over matched in this competition and inexplicably made it far, this was the perfect choice. The right attitude, showed off the body, and she actually sang the song quite well. I credit Lulu.

Sanjaya Malakar (eliminated in Round of 7)
Best: Besame Mucho*
Favorites: Bathwater and You Really Got Me
Reason: His best vocal (by far) was Besame Mucho: powerful, sensitive, and the eyes, oh man, the eyes. Still, my favorites was his fun-filled version of Bathwater (which Gwen refused to give him props for) and You Really Got Me (one of my favorite performances EVER)

Phil Stacey (eliminated in Round of post-IGB)
Best: Every Breath You Take
Reason: This was really the first close one for me. I thought his EBYT was fantastic and powerful. Still, he did country VERY well (Where The Blacktop Ends) and I thought his Bon Jovi performance was one of the best of the night. He improved immensely as the competition went on

Chris Richardson (eliminated in Round of post-IGB)
Best: Geek in the Pink
Reason: Most people know I couldn't stand CR's singing. I think his GitP was a copy of Mraz' version, but it still was a good vocal on his part.

Lakisha Jones (eliminated in Final Four)
Best: And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going
Reason: I thought she was incredibly boring most of the time, but this song alone propelled her to Final 4, and while her Bon Jovi was surprisingly good and I liked one of the Bee Gees song, this was my favorite

Melinda Doolittle (eliminated in Final Three)
Best: I Believe In You And Me
Reason: I think this was one of her strongest vocals of the season, and that's saying something. However, a lot of performances could have been in the best area, not limited to "I'm A Woman" and "My Funny Valentine". Awesome job by her this year

Blake Lewis (Final Two)
Best: You Give Love A Bad Name
Reason: This is where Blake won me over. I thought his "Virtual Insanity" was well done and he showed some vocal chops elsewhere, but this is the song that really cemented Blake, and this is why he chose it for Final 2 night. This song probably propelled him into the Final 2 over much more talented vocalists

Jordin Sparks (Final Two)
Best: I Who Have Nothing
Reason: Yes, the second time wasn't as good as the first and it's quickly becoming a trademark song that she could be pidgeonholed into. However, the first performance was so passion filled that it could be my favorite performance of the season, and her vocals (perhaps except for Broken Wing) haven't been stronger yet

Guest Judges

There are two judges that really stood out to me this season, and one may surprise you. The first is obvious: the combination of Peter Noone and Lulu. British Invasion week had disaster potential, but both of them gave constructive crticism that produced great performances out of artists who typically couldn't do it. They actually gave help rather than saying "Well, good luck".

The other one was Jennifer Lopez. I am shocked that I'm saying this, but she was nice, she gave a lot of help (real help even), she gave good suggestions, and she was what a guest judge should be. And when the contestant didn't listen to her (Chris Richardson), you could tell (his Smooth when he changed the key was very good, on stage when he didn't...)

My Favorite Contestants

OK, two rankings. One for vocal ability alone (Top 12 only), and one for entertainment value and personality

Vocally
1. Melinda Doolittle
2. Jordin Sparks
3. Lakisha Jones
4. Phil Stacey
5. Stephanie Edwards
6. Chris Sligh
7. Brandon Rogers
8. Blake Lewis
9. Gina Glocksen
10. Chris Richardson
11. Haley Scarnato
12. Sanjaya Malakar

Performance and Personality
1. Sanjaya Malakar
2. Blake Lewis
3. Chris Sligh
4. Melinda Doolittle
5. Jordin Sparks
6. Phil Stacey
7. Chris Richardson (He seems like an incredibly nice guy, which pushes him up)
8. Haley Scarnato
9. Lakisha Jones (Seems nice as well, boring otherwise)
10. Brandon Rogers
11. Gina Glocksen
12. Stephanie Edwards

So, what do you guys think about this season and the contestants?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The Best Performances of the Se... Glow 05-23-07 1
   Really? Breezy 05-23-07 3
       Yep Glow 05-23-07 5
 RE: The Best Performances of the Se... Magnolia_Rocker 05-23-07 2
 RE: The Best Performances of the Se... samboohoo 05-23-07 4
 RE: The Best Performances of the Se... zazzy 05-23-07 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-23-07, 08:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The Best Performances of the Season"
Nice. I can't remember that much.
I'll stick with the ones I listed here. I do know I have a favorite of Sligh's but I can't remember what it's called. I agree with you from Sanjaya on down (up?) but maybe not Melinda's (I can't remember that one but I do know she had one that I really liked).

and ummmm... Cuddlepuppy's version of GitP was way different than Mraz's. *squinty eyes*

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-07, 09:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Really?"
His version sounded exactly like Mraz's IMHO. Not that that was a bad thing, I enjoyed it. Just don't think he did anything different with it.

Glow 14353 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-07, 10:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glow Click to send private message to Glow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Yep"
They're different.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-23-07, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Best Performances of the Season"
Best Performances - Idol 6
1. Bon Jovi
2. Daughtry

What?

Tribey made me rock!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

05-23-07, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The Best Performances of the Season"
Hmmmmm.

I liked (not in any order):

Chris Richardson: Geek in the Pink
Gina Glockson: I'll Stand By You
Blake Lewis: Time of the Season
Jordin Sparks: I Who Have Nothing
Lakisha Jones: Diamonds are Forever

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-23-07, 02:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Best Performances of the Season"
LAST EDITED ON 05-23-07 AT 02:50 PM (EST)

FC, I am in awe of your total recall of the season. Great summary!

Noticing you had Steph at 12th on the personality list...when she was on camera for a shot last night--sitting near Brandon, I actually had to stop and think who that was. Just another indication of the type of season it was.

I'll have to think more about this season's performances but Blake's YGLABN (first time) was the one that had me cheering the most at home since Bo did "In A Dream" and Taylor did "Try a little tenderness".

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •