The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Final performances and Finale scoop"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-20-07, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Final performances and Finale scoop"
Read this at MJ's Big Blog about the three songs Jordin and Blake will sing Tuesday:

The F2 will each: reprise one song, sing a new song, and then sing the coronation song--but here is the twist--once again, they will sing the same coronation song.

I am guessing that the coronation song is from the songwriting contest which has been largely panned on AI boards and did not get much additional comment from AI once it was announced; and producers' interviews were not kind about it, either.

Daughtry is supposed to be on the show Tuesday? Wednesday? The rumor is he will sing "Home" like Daniel Powter sang his goodbye song last year.

Taylor will be on Wednesday.

Here is a rumor about Kat's appearing from TabithaAV at MJ's Big Blog on May 20th:

"I’m out of lurker mode to share some news. A tech friend of mine told me that Fox is kind of laughing about all the crazy calls they got from Katherine McPhee fans this week because she’s supposedly not goingto be on the show next week. The funny thing is, she will be — and she’s singing a duet with Blake. The producers wanted to put last year’s runner-up with Blake, who they think stands good chance of being this year’s first runner-up. Blake and Katherine do this sort of this medley thing where Blake starts out singing part of one of his new songs (one of his own compositions, I think), then they segue into a song from Kathrine’s album (?). He says the song has a killer beat but kind of weird lyrics, and at the end, Katherine and Blake go AT it, with Blake laying down some serious beatboxing riffs."

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... agman 05-20-07 1
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-20-07 2
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... geekboy 05-20-07 3
       RE: Final performances and Finale s... frisky 05-20-07 4
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... geekboy 05-21-07 6
               RE: Final performances and Finale s... tamarama 05-21-07 13
                   RE: Final performances and Finale s... bzooti 05-21-07 16
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... nailbone 05-21-07 7
               RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-21-07 10
                   RE: Final performances and Finale s... emydi 05-21-07 11
                   RE: Final performances and Finale s... Breezy 05-21-07 12
                       RE: Final performances and Finale s... dragonflies 05-22-07 32
                   CD pricing AyaK 05-22-07 37
                       RE: CD pricing Breezy 05-23-07 39
                       RE: CD pricing Magnolia_Rocker 05-23-07 40
                           RE: CD pricing zazzy 05-23-07 42
                               RE: CD pricing Breezy 05-23-07 43
                                   RE: CD pricing Magnolia_Rocker 05-23-07 45
                       RE: CD pricing zazzy 05-23-07 41
                           RE: CD pricing AyaK 05-23-07 46
                               RE: CD pricing zazzy 05-23-07 49
                               RE: CD pricing nailbone 05-23-07 52
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... bzooti 05-21-07 15
               RE: Final performances and Finale s... frisky 05-21-07 18
                   Disagree AyaK 05-22-07 34
       RE: Final performances and Finale s... agman 05-21-07 14
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... frisky 05-20-07 5
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... nailbone 05-21-07 8
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... nailbone 05-21-07 9
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... AngietheAngel 05-21-07 17
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... zombiebaby 05-22-07 19
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... Breezy 05-22-07 20
       RE: Final performances and Finale s... AyaK 05-22-07 30
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... emydi 05-22-07 31
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... Magnolia_Rocker 05-22-07 33
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... tamarama 05-22-07 21
 Song Spoilers Corvis 05-22-07 22
   RE: Song Spoilers zazzy 05-22-07 23
       RE: Song Spoilers emydi 05-22-07 24
       RE: Song Spoilers zazzy 05-22-07 25
           RE: Song Spoilers emydi 05-22-07 26
               RE: Song Spoilers Thomps 05-22-07 27
                   RE: Song Spoilers Magnolia_Rocker 05-22-07 28
                   RE: Song Spoilers emydi 05-22-07 29
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... toddE 05-22-07 35
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... AyaK 05-22-07 36
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... geekboy 05-22-07 38
       RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-23-07 44
           RE: Final performances and Finale s... AyaK 05-23-07 47
               RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-23-07 48
 RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-23-07 50
   RE: Final performances and Finale s... zazzy 05-23-07 51

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-20-07, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"

Why do we need to be subjected to Taylor Hicks anymore? For me last year was more than enough!!!!I don't mean to insult anyone who likes him, just saying he don't work for me!

I know everything, except the things I don't know

05-20-07, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Well, first it gives you a chance to snark away and next, it gives fans like me a chance to see his smokin' hot performance!

He was on Leno a week ago and was great--but I am a Taylor fan.

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-20-07, 10:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
To me, Taylor(Blake) is the epitome of what Idol should be. Taylor(Blake) would never get a foot in any recording company's door, let alone an audition, even though the country craves him as a performer.

Taylor(Blake) is the complete opposite to Kat McPhee(Jordin). There are way too many Kat McPhees(Jordins) getting recording contracts, and not enough Taylors(Blakes).

In my book, Blake should win this season.

geekboy

I love puppies! S. Cowell

frisky 11695 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-07, 11:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
This isn't directed at you or any other Taylor fans, Geekboy, but I had to *tsk* *tsk* when I saw the picture on People of some past Idol finalists (Clay, and others I didn't recognize) with a big "where are they now" caption, and Taylor Hicks was there with them.

So, only a year later, the winner is a "where are they now" candidate.

Idol has really only succeeded in launching true success stories three times (Kelly, CarrieBot, JHud). Sure, others have got recording contracts and they've shown up on the chart a few times and they tour and have their little pockets of true diehard fans, but they aren't "mainstream." In other words, those are the only three who have risen above the "idol" thing and are now seen as stand-alone performers rather than former Idols.

If the public really "craves" Taylor, then we wouldn't be wondering what ever happened to him. The public has the power to make Kellys and Carries, so why aren't we doing that for Taylor? To find out what Taylor and Fantasia are doing, you have to go to Idol boards.

Rolly made this.
Desperate Housecats

05-21-07, 08:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
The answer to your question is quite simple. LEt me try to elaborate.

When Idol crowns a winner, sadly what heppens is they do not let that winner truly make a debut CD as they would like. They end up doing a generic/non-pidgeonholed CD which truly is not their style.

The only times that a debut CD has worked is really for Kelly, Carrie and Clay.

Ruben's first CD is vastly different than his second, although neither did well. Fantasia - the same. The rumors of Bo's 2nd CD are started to arise, and that it truly is Bo - southern rock/country. Taylor, although he had a couple of his own songs on his CD (and those were the best songs on the CD), he too ended up with a washed-out, too-poppy CD. Hopefully he'll have more control on his 2nd.

You would think Idol would learn from this, but they haven't.

I stick by my comments - the audiance loves Taylor and wanted Taylor music...but we haven't really got it yet. Same for Bo, and probably the same for Blake.

geekboy

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-07, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
>>rumors of Bo's 2nd CD are started to arise, and that it truly is Bo - southern rock/country. ... ... Hopefully he'll (Taylor) have more control on his 2nd.<<

I'm with the Geek.

LOVE Bo beyond reason. Bought his 1st CD knowing it would be 'Idolized' - but wanted to do my part to insure a 2nd CD. Is "The Real Thing" a complete piece of carp? No. But I haven't really listened to it since I bought it either. I do love the Sugar Money stuff. Can't wait for his 2nd CD.

Along comes Taylor - whom I also adore. I decided not to waste my $15 (or whatever) on the 1st CD -- knowing again that it would not really feel like Taylor. I look forward to hearing from him in the future, once he's allowed more musical control. How many people like me are there? Could that partially explain Taylor's low numbers? To many were burned by the faux Bo?

When AI raised the age limit, they opened the door to more accomplished, seasoned musicians with their own musical identities. The audience loves them, because it's much more interesting to watch someone who feels something & has a point of view.

AI also - with the older, more polished contestants - attracted older viewers, with more sophisticated taste, and a more highly developed BS-meter. I didn't watch season 1 at all. I lost interest in 2 & 3 when my favorites left (didn't get mad, just didn't care). First time I cared enough to watch a finale? Bo & Carrie. (Needless to say, I was disappointed.)

Unfortunately, the AI machine has not yet recognized that the contestants and the audience has changed since AI1. The days of the producer-driven boy bands & blonde mini-tramps are over (died like disco - which was also producer-driven). AI needs to allow these performers with unique points-of-view to put out music that isn't McDondald-ized. It can only help their numbers.

bzooti 82 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-21-07, 06:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bzooti Click to send private message to bzooti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
>I look
>forward to hearing from him
>in the future, once he's
>allowed more musical control.
>How many people like me
>are there?

*raises hand*

I respect Bo and Taylor, but I didn't buy either of their CDs after listening a bit on-line.

Even Kelly has had to claw for control over her next/third CD, Clive Davis wanted to re-produce a lot of it and make it more pop, even after her astonishing success with her second CD. I can't wait to hear it after the stories I've read. She wrote everything on it, I think, and it's all a bit dark.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-07, 10:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
In other words, those are the only three who have risen above the "idol" thing and are now seen as stand-alone performers rather than former Idols.

Daughtry is reaching that status as well.

New sig courtesy of agman!

05-21-07, 11:40 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Yes, with lots of support and promotion from the label. The playing field is not level. For example, Daughtry is currently selling at Walmart for just $7.88--compared to these prices for other idols:

Walmart

Kelly-Breakaway 9.72
Kelly-Thankful 15.88

Clay-A Thousand Different Ways 14.88
Clay-Christmas 10.88
Clay-Measure of a Man 13.88
Ruben- The Return 14.88
Ruben-I need an angel 12.88
Ruben-Soulful 12.88
Josh Gracin 15.88

Fantasia 13.88
Fantasia Free Yourself 13.88

Carrie -Some Hearts 9.72
Bo Bice 15.88

Taylor Hicks 9.72
Katharine McPhee 13.88
Elliot Yamin 11.88
Daughtry 7.88
Paris Princess P 14.88
Kellie Pickler 13.88
Bucky Covington 13.88

Basically buying a cd at $7.88 is a different decision (impulse buy) than buying one at $13.88 imo. The $7.88 price attracts the casual fan.

Watching Taylor's path this last year has helped me appreciate the levers that the labels use to promote one artist over another--like teams getting the song played on the radio, promotional $$ to get more play and promotional play; investment in reduced price cd's, advertising, etc.

Here is a link to a thread on the Velvet Rope board--a music industry board-- that discusses a feud between Clive Davis and Kelly Clarkson (and ends with speculation that the whole feud could have been for PR reasons)--but interesting chatter about label support along the pages of the thread.

http://www.velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365116&page=4&fpart=1

And here is a thread about Clive Davis Doghouse stories--more industry ploys mentioned--like how Clive treats artists he does not like (shelving their albums for starters):

http://www.velvetrope.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=367746&page=11#Post367746

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-07, 01:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
I love the Daughtry CD but I hope he does less "poppy" songs after this one...

Post to Emy's Emmy thread

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-07, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
When is the playing field ever level? I applaud Chris for getting such support from his label.

Also, aren't "CD" numbers outdated and skewed now? Most people (especially younger people) download off iTunes now.

dragonflies 8051 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-07, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dragonflies Click to send private message to dragonflies Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Yes, even not so young people download now. I can't remember the last time I bought a real CD.

Oh, and put me in the Blake should win cause he is more of an "American Idol" column.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-07, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "CD pricing"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 07:44 PM (EST)

Let me state this flat out: Taylor Hicks will never be a big star. Not even if you wait until he-- freezes over.

On to your example: CD pricing doesn't work the way you'd think. The most popular records are usually the cheapest. Taylor's CD is expensive not because of a lack of record label promotion but because of a lack of sales.

Let's put this in perspective. To date, both Carrie Underwood's Some Hearts and Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway have sold about 5.5 million CDs, though mostly in prior years. Here's where the Idol 5 finalists rank:

1. Daughtry 2.5 million (soon will be third best-selling Idol-related CD ever)
2. Taylor Hicks 677,000
3. Kellie Pickler Small Town Girl 526,000
4. Katharine McPhee 321,000
5. Elliott Yamin 192,000
6. Bucky Covington 119,000
7. Paris Bennett 6,500

So far, Taylor has sold less than Bo Bice. Thus, he DOESN'T get the super-low price.

Edited to add: Clive Davis is a piece of work, and I don't mean that in a good way. But he wants the reputation as a hit-making wizard, so he'd love it if Taylor's album sold. Problem: it didn't.

05-23-07, 07:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: CD pricing"
Thankyou Ayak, that's how I thought it worked but wasn't sure.

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-23-07, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: CD pricing"
Thank you, thank you, thank you Ayak. It began to smell like a lot of sour grapes in here.

Tribey made me rock!

05-23-07, 10:19 AM (EST)
42. "RE: CD pricing"
Mags, not sour grapes at all. My point is we do not know what Taylor would have sold if he had been promoted like Daughtry has been. Would he have ever outsold Daughtry? Maybe not. But the treatment has not been even close in terms of handling and investment. I'll be interested to watch how they handle Jordin over the next year as well as Melinda and Blake.

05-23-07, 10:30 AM (EST)
43. "RE: CD pricing"
As Ayak said, even with promotion Taylor would not have the sales that others will. His genre is not that big of a draw.

05-23-07, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: CD pricing"
Exactly the point I was trying to make in another post somewhere. Taylor does not sing the type of music that is played on the majority of the radio stations, most popular being country and pop. Taylor doesn't fit those so therefore, he's not going to get airtime. I don't care who is producing him radio stations aren't just gonna throw his song into their mix if he doesn't fit.

Tribey made me rock!

05-23-07, 10:12 AM (EST)
41. "RE: CD pricing"
I am not complaining about the price of Taylor's cd. I am just trying to acknowledge that the Sony/BMG corp/label gives very different support to different artists (not all artists on the list are with Sony/BMG but most are) and the discounted pricing for Daughtry is driving sales. Pricing and promotion are marketing levers that are applied to music as just like products--selling music is not unlike selling toothpaste.

Disagree about Clive. They wanted to promote Daughtry and they have. From radio promotion and radio play to pricing they have pulled out all the stops. From reading some Taylor Hicks fan boards, the label was disdainful about even sending out Taylor's single to the stations. Look at how his single was handled--the album was put out in December and the single was not released until many weeks later. The single (Just to Feel That Way) was not what Taylor had been on tv playing (Runaround)...there was no supporting video and even Bucky and Kellie had videos. The whole thing was uncordinated --compared to Kelly Clarkson's new album, for example. She is out singing her new single already--the album will not be released for another month. This is common practice in the music business--not dribbling out a single weeks after an album is released like Taylor's was.

After reading the Velvet Rope threads, it seems like they wanted to milk the Soul Patrol for whatever they could get--taking a cue from Clay's fans--without having to make a huge investment. An example about Clive--one poster commented that Clive was spending something like $15 a cd to make Alicia Key's first cd a big success, so the label will drop a lot of money when they really want to; there are other stories of Clive's forcing songs on artists that they did not want to record and shelving albums from artists that refused to do his bidding.

IMO something happened around the end of the season last year (was it when Taylor refused to sing the first coronation song they tried to pawn off on him? or was it when Taylor chose the firm to manage him? Was it that Chris was booted at 4th and did not win? Or was it that Simon really, really did not like Taylor as he has said in interviews and continued to say after season 5 ended.) Whatever. Taylor is charting his own path given the really reallys of the music business. He is shaking off the "Bo" treatment as best he can.

P.S. Taylor has sold more than Bo Bice--his cd has been certified as platinum and Bo's went gold. The numbers you quoted are from Soundscan and do not include all sales outlets, but they are a helpful comparison versus the other season 5 contestants.

05-23-07, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: CD pricing"
P.S. Taylor has sold more than Bo Bice--his cd has been certified as platinum and Bo's went gold. The numbers you quoted are from Soundscan and do not include all sales outlets, but they are a helpful comparison versus the other season 5 contestants.

Actually, the SoundScan numbers are much more accurate than the RIAA numbers ... and Bo Bice has outsold Taylor Hicks, as I said. You're right that Taylor Hicks' album has been certified platinum, but that's because its initial shipping was so much larger than Bo Bice's. RIAA certification doesn't work off actual quantities sold, which RIAA has never tried to measure, but rather quantities shipped to wholesale and retail. <The ultimate RIAA blunder was an album entitled Here's Johnny: Magic Moments from the Tonight Show, which was certified gold at the time of shipping but actually sold fewer than 100,000 copies ... with more than 1 million albums returned unsold from retail and wholesale.>

In fact, for a record that isn't on the charts any longer, the label has to pay for a new RIAA certification review to get a higher certification. I expect RCA will do that when Bo has a new album to ship, and then Bo will also get his platinum certification.

If you've been hanging around Velvet Rope, I figured you'd know all that. Guess not.

And as far as the Alicia Keys comments go:
Alicia Keys was a special case. Clive had just been fired by BMG as head of Arista in favor of hip-hop wizard L.A. Reid, because BMG thought he was "too old" ... but he was still 50% owner of J Records along with BMG. He desperately needed a hit of Whitney Houston magnitude to prove he wasn't over the hill. And the heavy promo for Alicia Keys paid off -- which eventually led BMG to make him the new head of RCA Records, while keeping L.A. Reid at Arista. Then, when L.A. was found to be using Arista as his personal bank, Clive ended up back in overall charge of BMG US. Was his investment in Alicia Keys worth it? Every penny.

From my standpoint, Taylor's victory was the ultimate proof that Idol wasn't fixed. It was obvious to everyone except the Soul Patrol that Taylor was going to be a limited-appeal artist.

05-23-07, 12:58 PM (EST)
49. "RE: CD pricing"
Ayak, thanks for the additional background. Velvet Rope is still new to me; just learned about it from MJ's this month. Fascinating reading!

Thanks, too, for the perspective on RIAA--Leno announced Taylor last week as having sold and shipped platinum--very specific wording, but there does not seem to be a way to know otherwise unless you are part of the label or privvy to their info.

Thanks, too, for the info on Bo. I am glad he has continued to sell and read that he is doing a solo accoustic tour. I look forward to a more Bo-like cd if Clive will let him that is.

05-23-07, 04:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: CD pricing"
From my standpoint, Taylor's victory was the ultimate proof that Idol wasn't fixed. It was obvious to everyone except the Soul Patrol that Taylor was going to be a limited-appeal artist.

It's also proof that:

A. the basic idea behind AI is not going to happen with the system as it is. If the idea is to find an Idol that will sell CDs and appeal to the masses, then it's not working

B. ratings matter more than album sales

bzooti 82 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-21-07, 06:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bzooti Click to send private message to bzooti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
>Idol has really only succeeded in
>launching true success stories three
>times (Kelly, CarrieBot, JHud).....

> In other
>words, those are the only
>three who have risen above
>the "idol" thing and are
>now seen as stand-alone performers
>rather than former Idols.

Even if those were the only three (and I'm not sure they will be in the long run), one could argue that's a huge success rate.

There's an awful lot of snarking that goes on against Idol, so I find it amazing that Carrie in particular just soared to the top like that.

Daughtry seems headed for a solid career and Fantasia, my personal fave, is getting rave reviews for her new role starring in The Color Purple on Broadway. Even the NT Times theater critic was wowed by her, clearly against his own will. I think she's here for the long haul too. Not in a showy blast to the top like Carrie's, but in a more subtantive and artistic fashion.

There are others too from past seasons who might be around longer than it appears right now ...

05-21-07, 11:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frisky Click to send private message to frisky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
I agree that Daughtry is on his way, but I think it's going to be very hard for him to be where he wants to be -- on the "rock" charts.

I have five stations on my dial in my car: 2 rock, 1 classic rock, 2 Joe and Bob type stations, and 1 teenybopper pop/rap/hiphop stations (for the kittens).

Only the teenybopper pop/rap/hiphop station plays Daughtry.

Sure, the show gave him (and Bo and Taylor) exposure, but now they have to take a few steps back in terms of regaining their identity.

Rolly made this.

05-22-07, 05:46 PM (EST)
34. "Disagree"
I have to admit to having gone to the KISS-108 concert in Boston this past weekend (taking my kids). KISS-108 is the Top 40 station in town, and the headliners for the KISS concert (among 15 acts over 9 hours) were Daughtry, Fergie and Akon. Also on the bill (and way up it) was Katharine McPhee.

Daughtry not only were headliners, but they looked like headliners during a 45-minute straight rock set. After seeing that performance, you can't doubt their bonafides in the rock world. It wasn't a performance that made allowances for a Top-40 crowd at all.

Katharine McPhee looked like a deer caught in the headlights during her 20-minute set to a prerecorded backing. There was no comparison at all between her and Chris Daughtry. No way would you ever have guessed that they "started" at the same time (after Idol 5).

(Interestingly, Fergie chose to cover Heart's great "Barracuda" during her 45-minute set, along with her solo and Black-Eyed Peas material. I never knew she could rock. But that also lost her audience, which doesn't even know the song.)

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

05-21-07, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
I'm not sure who you're talking to, but most people I know can't stand him or his music. I agree he's different and I agree that he wouldn't of had a chance if not for AI, but I don't agree that he is just what America has been waiting for.

surfboard

I know everything, except the things I don't know

05-20-07, 11:21 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
So McPee will probably sing "Over The Rainbow" while eye-humping us, and Jordin will do "I Who Have Nothing" because we aren't quite sick of hearing her sing that song yet.

Blake will do something original and creative, because, like Bo, he really doesn't want to win this thing, and knows that Jordin is The Pimped One, so he can use this audience of multi-millions to showcase his talents.

Don't get me wrong, I think Blake's singing sucks the hind teat. But, I admire his musicality, if that makes sense. Jordin is just a spit-polished puppet that her spit-polishing stage parents are handing over to 19 Entertainment.

Rolly made this.
Desperate Housecats

05-21-07, 10:06 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
So McPee will probably sing "Over The Rainbow" while eye-humping us,

You say that like it's a bad thing!!

05-21-07, 10:07 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
He says the song has a killer beat but kind of weird lyrics, and at the end, Katherine and Blake go AT it, with Blake laying down some serious beatboxing riffs."

Oh, I am SO taping this one!!

AngietheAngel 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-21-07, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AngietheAngel Click to send private message to AngietheAngel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
LAST EDITED ON 05-21-07 AT 10:09 PM (EST)

I just hope Blake wins. He's got raw, creative talent and isn't just a voice.

Fun Reality TV games

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-07, 08:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Wow for a second there I thought this was the zazzy forum.

I have not watched this show really since Sanjaya was cut. I mostly pop in to catch Blake. I think this finale should be a step above the Diana/Fantasia finale but still what a yawner of season once Sanjaya was cut.

I wonder what drek they are going to sing tonight that will be "the single" I think that is the worst part of the entire show.

One more of J
Slice's Awesome Creations!

05-22-07, 08:08 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
I agree the drek is the worst part of the finale.

*giggle* I think you're my favorite today.

05-22-07, 03:28 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Simon Cowell article

On Tuesday, May 22, Sparks and Lewis will each perform three songs during Idol's final performance episode: the one chosen by viewers via American Idol's sixth season songwriting contest; a second song of their own personal choosing; and a third one that they previously performed during Idol 6. Cowell said he's heard the song chosen via the songwriting contest, and described it as being "alright" before offering some insight into how it might have an affect on the competition.

"I think it's going to be harder for Blake to sing because it's more of a ballad," said Cowell.

Only "alright"? It must be drek supreme if all Simon can muster is "alright."

Soylent Green: recycling America, one person at a time.

05-22-07, 03:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
well it's better than that song they made Taylor sing last year...and I think Blake should beatbox the heck out of it...why even try to sing it AI style...Jordin will do that perfectly

Post to Emy's Emmy thread

05-22-07, 03:59 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Friggin' Grrrrreat. A sappy ending to a sappy year. And haven't all the AI final songs been ballads?? Ballads with the glory note thrown in. In honor of the other posters...drekky drek drekalicious.

Tribey made me rock!

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings

05-22-07, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
>>The producers wanted to put last year’s runner-up with Blake, who they think stands good chance of being this year’s first runner-up.<<

This is probably more a matter of boy-girl-boy-girl rather than "he's going to lose, so put him with last year's loser."

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-22-07, 11:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "Song Spoilers"
From MJ's Blog:

Jordin Sparks

A Broken Wing by Martina McBride
Fighter by Christina Aguilera
Winner single

Blake Lewis

She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi
Winner single

05-22-07, 12:31 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Song Spoilers"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 12:50 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 12:48 PM (EST)

Looks like the Kat rumor is fading away--some posters at MJ's said Kat's mother, Peisha had posted on Kat fan boards that Kat was not performing on the finale. Here are some other rumors/spoilers from MJ's Big Blog:

------------

Idol Guest Performers for the Finale:

Kelly Clarkson - may sing solo (”Never Again”) and duet
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Hicks

Songs from the Beatles catalog have been made available for tomorrow’s show. More on that as details arrive…

Rumors:

"According to MTV Doug E. Fresh is in negotiations with Idol to appear on tomorrow’s show. His appearance has not been confirmed.

There will be no hometown parties. The original plan was to have them, but the producers thought otherwise and cancelled them.

According to Perez Hilton, there is buzz around Hollywood that Britney Spears will appear on the Finale. Hello trainwreck!
I’m pulling this from comments. The NY Post reports that the winners of the songwriting contest are two men.

Americanidol.com has songwriter bios posted for all 20 contestants. The forum at Spinme.com (I’ll be posting something on the songwriter’s contest later…) has supposed insiders who claim “This is My Now” written by Jeff Peabody and Scott Krippayne as the winning song. You can listen to it at the bios link."

------------

Here is the link:

http://www.americanidol.com/songwriter/index.xhtml

And more scoop from MJ's Big Blog--poster is Kirsten:

"Guest Rumour.

Nigel said in this interview that Peter Noone will be back to do a Medley of Herman Hermit hits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5seY1ARFE

He also said that there has been no clear winner this year. Votes seem to be performance based. In past years, there is generally somebody who was a clear winner of votes. Top vote getter has been traded off.

There is also going to be a big surprise guest. But it may be a group."

05-22-07, 01:00 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Song Spoilers"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 01:04 PM (EST)

meh....typical Idol drek but better than last year's crapola..I hope Blake beatboxes all thru it!

But the one guy looks exactly like HRG (w/o the glasses) from Heroes

songwriter

HRG (Noah) from Heroes

tribey is my American Idol!

05-22-07, 01:01 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Song Spoilers"
LAST EDITED ON 05-22-07 AT 03:06 PM (EST)

For Blake fans: Here is a fan vid of Blake set to: "This is my now" ... makes me hopeful for a great performance tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVENs1EK-g

Sorry, link added!

05-22-07, 01:05 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Song Spoilers"
link plz

Thomps 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-22-07, 02:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Thomps Click to send private message to Thomps Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Song Spoilers"
Go to youtube and type in the search area: Blake Lewis This is my now.

05-22-07, 02:25 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Song Spoilers"
Well hello there and welcome to the boards Thomps.

Tribey made me rock!

05-22-07, 02:27 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Song Spoilers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVENs1EK-g

Thanks Thomps and welcome!

I remember I loved him since the group competition with Chris S!

this is a great montage!

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-22-07, 05:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
This is quite the entertaining thread.

I don't think there will ever again be an Idol who reaches Kelly Clarkson's level of mega-star-ness.

Carrie has certainly done very well and established her legitimacy.

Clay, Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson have been able to springboard to big success, but Clay's star seems to be fading and we'll see about the other two.

Taylor is just awful. I knew he'd flop. It was his win that convinced me AI isn't rigged, because--come on--the producers had to see that Chris Daughtry was going to be the one out the gate last season.

I really wonder if anyone will gain celebrity from this season, either. Except, of course, for Sanjaya. They seem to have high hopes for Jordin, but to me she's just so....regular. She's fine, but....

And Blake is very cool and original, but...

it's a tough industry to make it in, even with AI backing.

05-22-07, 06:26 PM (EST)
36. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
>I don't think there will ever again be an Idol who
>reaches Kelly Clarkson's level of mega-star-ness.

... except ... no one thought that ANY Idol would ever reach that level. If there's one, why not two?

>Carrie has certainly done very well
>and established her legitimacy.

"Before He Cheats" is Carrie's biggest Top-40 hit yet -- and it's the FIFTH single off Some Hearts.

05-22-07, 07:39 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Yes, Kelly is huge, and deservedly so.

Ayak was correct, Carrie is HUGE in the country music community, and is a crossover hit also.

If i recall correctly, Clay set some records with "Measure Of A Man". His concerts gross huge numbers, especially his Holiday concerts. His 2nd CD tanked, and i predicted that. Why Clive Davis told him to do a CD of the most cliched 80's songs is beyond me. Rumor has it he will be following that up quickly with a 3rd CD.

Bo Bice, even though his CD didn't sell huge, has a tremendous fan base, and i predict that his 2nd CD due out this summer will make him a star.

Taylor made a good CD, not a "great" CD and definately not a "Taylor" CD. From what i have read, his tour is growing. He's a hard person to put into any radio niche. I suspect eventually he'll make it big, but that will probably be a slow process. Hopefully his management and recording company will continue to back him, because he has the chops and talent.

Jordin? She has me puzzled. As I have said before, i see Disney when i see Jordin.

Blake? Another Tayor? Like Taylor, he is definately NOT "pop". He's more indie, and again hard to pidgeonhole into any given radio genre. Only time will tell.

geekboy

05-23-07, 10:36 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Here are numbers I saved from a post Nevada made at MJ's Big Blog back in February--so the numbers may have gone up a little since then--but here are the Soundscan numbers for top selling AIers, May 2007 numbers are from USA Today's Idol Chatter:

Kelly 2,511,000 First album as of Feb 8, 2007
5.7m second album as of May 2007

Clay 2,743,000 First album as of Feb 8, 2007
1,400,000 second album as of Feb 8, 2007
511,000 third album as of May 2007

Ruben 1,781,000 first album as of Feb 8, 207
437,000 second album as of Feb 8, 2007
225,000 third album as of May 2007

Fantasia 1,687,000 first album as of Feb 8, 2007
373,000 second album as of May 2007

Carrie 5.43 million May 2007

Bo 661,000 first album as of Feb 8, 2007

05-23-07, 11:30 AM (EST)
47. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Bo's album is currently at 835,000 as of May. It's had a good last three months.

As I posted above, Taylor's is at 677,000.

05-23-07, 12:51 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Ayak, do you have updated numbers for the other people I listed? Thanks!

05-23-07, 03:37 PM (EST)
50. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Finale scoop--MJ's Big Blog is spelling it all out with rumors and substantiated stuff*** don't read if you don't want to know--here is a quickee summary***

http://mjsbigblog.com/finale-spoilers.htm

-- but names run the gamut from Green Day, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Joe Perry, Tony Bennett, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Hicks.

Also rumored: Melinda to perform with Bebe and Cece Winans; Jordin with the Dreamgirls; Blake with Doug E. Fresh; (Lakisha supposedly does not get a duet with someone like Chris got to sing with Live last year); there is to be a Beatles medley with Taylor and the top 12; Peter Noone to perform a medley of HH hits; Sanjaya to have platinum hair....and on and on...no hometown parties...rumors even include one place saying Britney Spears will appear (and I read somewhere else Whitney would appear, so who knows??).

05-23-07, 04:08 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Final performances and Finale scoop"
Here is the latest on MJ's chat board--this posted repeated what they read on TMZ--it is starting to hang together with the names I posted above; note that Ruben is now on the list of previous winners returning to the AI stage and Sanjaya gets a duet but not Lakisha:

------------

julilynn
May 23rd, 2007 at 3:59 pm
This is was I saw on TMZ - just a few minutes ago:
Juli R - Wisconsin

TMZ has learned that Kelly — and all winners from seasons past, except Fantasia — will be back performing on the “American Idol” stage for tonight’s finale.

Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks are headed to the Kodak Theater, but Fantasia Barrino won’t be, since she is headlining Oprah Winfrey’s production of “The Color Purple” on Broadway.

Sources tell TMZ Gladys Knight will perform “Midnight Train to Georgia” with the top six female finalists, while Smokey Robinson will join the top six male finalists for a rendition of “Ooh Baby Baby.” Most recently booted finalist Melinda Doolittle will sing with brother and sister gospel duo BeBe and CeCe Winans, while the hairiffic Sanjaya duets with Aerosmith’s Joe Perry to the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.” It’s sure to be an unbeweavable night!

Beat-boxing finalist Blake Lewis will show off his mad skillz against rapper Doug E. Fresh, and then duet with fellow finalist and probable winner, Jordin Sparks, to the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There.” Since producers were able to finally get clearance to use Beatles music, a medley of Fab Four hits will be performed as well.

--------

Other chatter on the board includes speculation that because some of the Beatle songs were cleared, AND Paul McCartney has a new album out June 4, that he may be the surprise guest. Others say the surprise guest backed out and Bette Middler is appearing instead. The rumors continue to fly.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •