The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

zazzy 4390 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-10-07, 07:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Scarborough asks if this is the worst season ever--includes a clip of Simon on the Ellen show admitting he does not pay attention to the real performances.

Interesting comment from one of the guests---calling out Sanjaya's "character arc" (sounds like what they do on scripted shows, hmmm?). Also talks about the specialness being diminished over the years--and are the scratching the bottom of the barrel?

They ask--where is the star quality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8dbccglXhQ

I wish someone would cover the point that Idol producers have dissed last year's winner and have turned off many fans by diminishing him and the prize.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... zazzy 05-10-07 1
 RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Bravehart 05-11-07 2
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... zazzy 05-11-07 3
       RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Bravehart 05-11-07 5
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... bzooti 05-15-07 7
       RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... zazzy 05-15-07 13
 RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... geekboy 05-11-07 4
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Magnolia_Rocker 05-14-07 6
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Breezy 05-15-07 8
       RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... geekboy 05-15-07 9
           RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... emydi 05-15-07 15
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Corvis 05-15-07 12
       RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... emydi 05-15-07 16
 RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... bystander 05-15-07 10
   RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... geekboy 05-15-07 11
       RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... Breezy 05-15-07 14
           RE: Scarborough Country weighs in o... JessicaRN 05-16-07 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

05-10-07, 07:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zazzy Click to send private message to zazzy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
This is the negative Houston Chronicle article that they were talking about:

http://130.80.29.3/disp/story.mpl/ent/4782300.html

Bravehart 264 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-11-07, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bravehart Click to send private message to Bravehart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Hence The American Idol Camp....I suppose the creators are looking to mould "Idols" pre show.

As if this was the best they could find in 2 seasons....How many auditioned??? 100,000??

Maybe they need to get real quality judges/voice coaches to pick the final 100 contestants...then the "TV judges Paula, Randy and Simon" could take over.

05-11-07, 01:41 PM (EST)
3. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Wow, I forgot all about Idol Camp.

I guess I was awash with Idol Gives Back, Idol downloads, Idol Bobbleheads, Idol songwriting contest, Idol rock group search, Idol ice cream, Idol S6 tour...hey! What happened to the Idol S6 top 12 CD? Did they think it would not sell enough...or are the weekly downloads in lieu of it?

And did I leave any Idol branded thing off the list? LOL!

Bravehart 264 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-11-07, 05:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bravehart Click to send private message to Bravehart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Very pertinent thread Zazzy! Ryan Seacrest can say all he wants that 45 million people tuned in etc, but they had to use the star studded charity event to get them in....

Na, this season featured Idols who had great voices but nothing really new to offer with the exception of Blake. Simon is right, the great voices of the past few seasons who made it to the end sounded kind of old.

bzooti 82 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-15-07, 02:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bzooti Click to send private message to bzooti Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"

>As if this was the best
>they could find in 2
>seasons....How many auditioned??? 100,000??
>
>Maybe they need to get real
>quality judges/voice coaches to pick
>the final 100 contestants...then the
>"TV judges Paula, Randy and
>Simon" could take over.

aaaaaaaaaaah but you're forgetting.

it's the producers, not the judges, whose fault it is.

the judges only get to see the "talent" that the producers put through. Nigel et al are the second round, they're the ones that make the crucial cut.

Seattle will always be classic for me. Three of the top 7 auditioned in seattle. but the producers loaded the seattle crop with so much crap, that's the city where the judges made a huge deal about how horrible the talent was. Not true. Just think how much talent they probably never saw, because the producers wanted to make sure the guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty got through, etc.

they aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, in terms of who is auditioning.

it's a miracle that Blake got through. I'll always be amazed that a dude from seattle's indie scene got this far.

I bet a dozen equally good or better ones got cut early, in seattle.

05-15-07, 01:34 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
I agree with you, in fact I think the producers loaded all/most of the auditions with so much crap. They really want to control who you root for. I recently was cleaning out my dvr and fast forwarded through the hollywood---top 24. Even there they were spotlightling certain people. Either they were more blatant this year or we are all catching on a lot better.

Who knows? Maybe they really thought Sundance Head would take the whole thing way back when and that's why they were so negative on Seattle. Or it is just Simon's odd pop filter...

geekboy 1788 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-07, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-07 AT 04:46 PM (EST)

Personally, i think people including Scarborough, are making more of this than there really is.

Its simple. We have more of a 'boring' cast of contestants this season, and the talent is not up to par with the previous 5 seasons.

I think another way of looking at this is that - WOW! - it took 6 seasons to get a "weak season". I think that is a more impressive feat.

I always think back to the audition shows and some of the people they did NOT let through that perhaps should have made the top 24. OH well. There is always season 7.

geekboy

ETA: And since when does anyone care what Carmen Rasmusen thinks? She's now an expert on Idol?

I love puppies! S. Cowell

Magnolia_Rocker 2139 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-14-07, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Magnolia_Rocker Click to send private message to Magnolia_Rocker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Maybe AI has a "suck" cycle. Season 3 sucked and now season 6 sucks. I guess we can look forward to season 9 sucking to stay in cycle?

Snidget Mommyfied me!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-15-07, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
Ditto what the Geek said.

Also to bring up Mags' point. Was it after season 3 that they raised the age limit? They struggled to find good talent, so they upped the age limit the next season.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

05-15-07, 08:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail geekboy Click to send private message to geekboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
You are exactly right. without that age limit bump, we would not have Bo Bice or Taylor Hicks.

geekboy

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-07, 02:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
or Melinda...

Although I didn't remember Carmen...she did have a valid point that they used to focus a lot more on the idols...shooting them in the Idol House...etc. Now it's all about the judges, Ryan, guest stars that "mentor" and the guest "pop" singers and that whole "idol gives back crap" with all that lamo celebrity stuff (the stuff about the need in Africa and here was good)

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-15-07, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
"We have more of a 'boring' cast of contestants this season"

I blame the producers for this. These contestants aren't boring - the producers just didn't give us a window into their personalities like they have in other seasons.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-07, 03:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
great minds...I didn't read this before I posted Matt...i totally agree

bystander 4968 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

05-15-07, 12:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bystander Click to send private message to bystander Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"

I don't know about scraping the bottom of the barrel. I caught the finale of Season 1 on American Idol Rewind over the weekend and I'm still boggled at how Justin Guarini made it to the finals. That guy was worse than the finalists this season by far.

05-15-07, 01:20 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
I disagree. Over the course of Season 1 he had some amazing performances. Also, the curly hair and smile got him a lot of young female votes. His audition was just amazing, also.

geekboy

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-15-07, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
His hair! Ack. *gag*

Anyway, I agree with By. I don't think Justin would have made it to the finals in any other season. Probably not even made it past Hollywood week.

That first season no one knew what to think of this show, the contestants, producers or the audience. It's now in the 6th season... seems to me that the contestant field would be full of rejects of prior seasons and mediocre talent going forward. Unless there's a rash of very talented 17 year olds that audition next season.

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

JessicaRN 1112 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-16-07, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JessicaRN Click to send private message to JessicaRN Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Scarborough Country weighs in on this year's idol--asks if it is the worst season ever"
I've also been saying that the show tanked this year, but when I actually think about it, I'm not sure that is true. The final 3 this year were probably the best ever. Certainly, better as a group than last year.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •