The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

thesoupgoddess 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-20-07, 07:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail thesoupgoddess Click to send private message to thesoupgoddess Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
Want to join my crusade? If "Idol" hopes to regain (or maybe gain) their reputation as a legitimate talent show, they could foil the auto dialers. All they have to do is have everyone dial into the same phone number (or even multiple numbers) and then vote. You know, after you are connected, then you do the voting.

Not only would it foil the auto-dialers, it would be more accurate. The way it is now, the number for the person getting the most votes is also going to be getting the most busy signals. In fact, I don't see how a winner immerges at all the way it is set up now - basically, all the lines are limited, and probably get nearly the same number of votes.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya ph... Fishercat 04-20-07 1
   RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya ph... YankeeDixieDoodle 04-23-07 6
 RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya ph... Snidget 04-20-07 2
   RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya ph... Fishercat 04-20-07 3
 They don't count... curveball 04-23-07 4
 RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya ph... Queene1979 04-23-07 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-20-07, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
LAST EDITED ON 04-20-07 AT 09:01 PM (EST)

A few problems there

Vote totals plummet due to having the comprehend two steps equalling less ability to brag about voting numbers

They'll need several numbers to call to keep up with the crowds as lines get jammed as is with one step

Morons who can't follow two steps won't under stand when their vote for contestant number 10 was taken as contestant number 1, and then they will cause a stink

Additionally, you have to figure somebody would make a program capable of pushing two more numbers after a three second delay.

P.S. They could have avoided the Sanjaya phenomenon by not putting Sanjaya on the show

YankeeDixieDoodle 442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-23-07, 02:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail YankeeDixieDoodle Click to send private message to YankeeDixieDoodle Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
>
>P.S. They could have avoided the
>Sanjaya phenomenon by not putting
>Sanjaya on the show.

Absolutely! Send the 168 best auditioners to Hollywood. Then, send the 144 less talented ones home. Keeping only the best for the top 24. Or, AI will never be a true singing competition.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-20-07, 09:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
Certainly with the number of people that apply they could actually put up 24 people who could sing AND perform on stage. Part of why VFTW and others got going is it is obvious that they put the bad singers/performers in there purposefully. If they don't want America to vote for bad singers/bad performers, Do.Not.Put.Them.Through.

Fixing the voting however they choose to fix it does nothing if they don't have decent talent to start with, IMO.

Besides, they are too addicted to the high vote totals. I also think that for driving ratings (which is more important, again IMO, to them that getting someone that can have a real career) the way the vote now is done works really well.

They seem to have upped the capacity this year, the amount of busy signals seems way down from last year, but if they want to have even higher vote totals, you gotta have ever increasing capacity.

Thanks to Scarlett O Hara for the memorial sig pic.

Fishercat 4168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-20-07, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fishercat Click to send private message to Fishercat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
Jinx.

But yeah, I forgot to mention that there are far less busy signals this year. I think this week was the first in which Dialidol was spot on in order, even without MOE. That's probably a signal of more centralized voting.

And I agree that they put in people they consider cannon fodder or who appeal to (supposedly) very narrow groups. For instance, did anyone think Amy Krebs, Nicole Tranquillo, or even Leslie Hunt had a shot in hell at making Top 10? How about Jared Cotter, Paul Kim, and A.J. Tabaldo? All six were pretty much fodder so if a Lakisha or Chris Richardson had a bad performance, they could still skate by.

The problem with that is that, once in a while, that kind of fodder catches fire with voters. Usually it'll get them to Top 10 or 8 (like Haley and Sanjaya this year).

Then there's quasi-fodder, meaning people who the judges know can't or shouldn't win, but who will be solid competition to make it legit for a true winner. That backfired horribly last year when Taylor won, and I think Lakisha and Scott Savol and Anthony Federov fell into that category.

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-23-07, 01:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail curveball Click to send private message to curveball Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "They don't count..."
If you read the fine print at the end of the show you will see that the producers reserve the right to not count votes determined to have been made by auto-dialers. (or something like that). I was watching a taped version of last show, and at the end of the show it stopped on the small print, so I read it.

I don't know if this message has always been there or not, but it was last week.

I also don't know how they can tell the difference (betw auto dialer and 12-year-old), but obviously they can.

Queene1979 445 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-23-07, 02:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Queene1979 Click to send private message to Queene1979 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: they could avoid the Sanjaya phenomenon"
I think they should adopt a Dancing With The Stars voting system where the judges votes count for half and the votes are limited per phone line, I think this helps to weed out the bad dancers on the show and it could help weed out the bad singers in the show as well.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •