The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Flawed Voting Suggestion"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-22-03, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Flawed Voting Suggestion"
An open letter to AI Producers:

AI phone voting is obviously flawed. The show has become so popular that an accurate determination of the American Idol is impossible. If phone lines operate at capacity for a given period of time, there is only a maximum number of calls that can physically get through. Apparently, that number is about 12 million per line over 3 hours. I propose the following:

Open up more phone lines: The first week of the finals, American had 12 phone lines to call. I suggest that those phone lines are all put to use when it gets down to the final 4. For example: Idol 1 gets phone numbers 01 - 03, Idol 2 gets 04-06, etc. When it gets to 3 idols, each idol gets 4 numbers, and when it gets to 2 idols, each idol gets 6 numbers.

This method should help give us a more accurate vote count.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion PackMan 05-22-03 1
 RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion samboohoo 05-22-03 2
 RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion SurvivinDawg 05-22-03 3
   My daughter's observation Chez 05-22-03 4
       RE: My daughter's observation managerr 05-22-03 5
           RE: My daughter's observation CLAYAIKENLOVER 05-24-03 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PackMan 1207 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

05-22-03, 08:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PackMan Click to send private message to PackMan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion"
I agree with the suggestion that there is a problem with the voting system. But it also comes down to economics. In the UK, Pop Idol was allowed to use toll calls for their voting, so the voters paid for each vote they cast. However, in the US, American Idol is not allowed to use the 1-900 toll system. They must use toll free lines. This means toll free to the voter, not to the show. Opening up more lines, means more calls, but it also means more cost to the show. I don't know if this is their reason for limiting the number of lines, or not. I just pose it as a possibility.

I also think that this season had competitors who were both very deserving, and this highlighted the basic flaw in the voting system - capacity.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it again? - Anonymous

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-22-03, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion"
The sad truth is that Clay probably had more "people" vote for him, but Ruben got more votes. Ruben's mama was on the Today Show this morning and said that she organizes votes and that she actually got through 200 times. (Of course, she was shooting for 205.) How the heck does this happen? I used 2 phone lines for 2 hours and managed 1 single vote for Clay. What a freaking joke!

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-22-03, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Flawed Voting Suggestion"
This method should help give us a more accurate vote count.

Do you think that really mattered?

I'd hate to be labelled a Conspiracy Theorist or anything , but this whole phone-in thing is only so much b.s. The person that the producers and hosts want to win is going to win, and the phone votes will be made to show that. After all, how could it possibly be challenged?

Besides, as I've said: there is definitely more than one winner in AI. Clay will be releasing a CD, and will have a contract. Possibly (hell *likely*) so will several others.

So don't expect any changes in the phone voting system. The producers like it JUST the way it is.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Chez 777 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-22-03, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chez Click to send private message to Chez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "My daughter's observation"
My 11 year old daughter said something last night that really made me think- she said "mom, you know how we always hang up after we get through on voting, and the recording says 'thank you for ......'. You know, if we didn't hang up right away, but held on till we were disconnected, we'd be tying up the phone line for a lot more time."

Hmmmm. It made me think about what a sneaky tactic that might be for someone who wanted to ensure more votes for their candidate, in a system where phone lines are the obvious limitation - place calls to vote for the opponent of your favorite, but keep the line tied up as long as possible whenever you do get through. That way your buddies, or family members, who are voting for your favorite, can place 6 calls for your every one for the opponent.

Get my drift? Pretty smart thinking for an 11-year old. I wonder..........

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-22-03, 01:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: My daughter's observation"
Actually, this was the tactic that Clay fans were promoting on the Clay message boards. Because the lines were going to tie up anyway, dial Ruben and stay on the line for 40 seconds. These voters are referred to as "Block Voters" on the bolt boards.

Still, I don't remember having this problem with busy signals last year. Didn't the finale get about 20 million voters too? I got through to Kelly enough times voting. I couldn't get into Clay's line at all on Tuesday. I think they intentionally kept less lines available this year as to make the vote count as close as possible.

CLAYAIKENLOVER Firstname::Bill desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "New Member"

05-24-03, 10:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CLAYAIKENLOVER Click to send private message to CLAYAIKENLOVER Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: My daughter's observation"
WELL I DONT KNOW WAT THE PRODUCERS OF THE SHOW DID , BUT I HONESLTY BELEIVE IT WAS FIXED SOMEHOW. I THINK CLAY WAS THE TRUE WINNER, BUT THEY SET IT UP SOMEHOW SO THAT RUBEN WOULD WIN, BUT W/E. THAT SHOW SUX ANYWAY . AND WE ALLLLLLLL KNOW THAT CLAY AIKEN IS THE TRUE AMERICAN IDOL. GO CLAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE MICHAEL JACKSON AND CLAY AIKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE TWO HOTTEST, SEXIEST, AND MOST TALENTED MEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR TRUE AMERICAN IDOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •